How do you spend your Glacier Bay day?

Kfrech

6 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

First one would be don't stay on your balcony...that limits your view. Wonder around, look at the scenery from all points on the ship. Take some time on the bow.

Yes, and especially when the ship stops at Margerie Glacier.

There will be some announcements, but they try to keep them at a minimum for noise pollution issues. 

Margerie Glacier is the main site in Glacier Bay, where you will most likely spend the most time, up close, with a glacier. If you are on your aft balcony, you will not see it as you sail up, thus missing some of the experience. Again, don't stay on your balcony. Wonder around on the upper, open decks. Go to the bow.

Your balcony might be best once you are sailing away from Margerie...

I will be in the minority here but we prefer to stay on our balcony. We have access to cold weather gear, binoculars, etc and can pop inside to warm up if needed. It was so quiet and peaceful on our balcony we could hear the ice popping in the water and see the marine life much closer. We could easily hear the commentary from the park ranger onboard and were able to spot the grizzly bear he pointed out on shore.

Later, thinking we were missing something we went to the upper decks and it was crowded and NOISY. We couldn't wait to get back to our balcony and enjoy the peaceful solitude.  So to each their own!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Regardless of where you chose to experience the day (I prefer to leave my cabin and roam), try a specialty drink!  Haven’t been to GB on HAL, but Princess, NCL and Disney all had drink specials!  Warm and toasty!  Just be sure to have your own Yeti mug to keep the drink warm.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

We always have an aft cabin and love it for Glacier Bay. We stay on deck traveling into the bay and for while we are at Marjorie Glacier. My favorite spot in completely forward. It's windy and cold, but that's where I like to be. Once we get to the glacier, I walk to various spots, nut I mainly stay at the very front of the ship. Once we start to leave the glacier, we go done to our cabin, order breakfast, and eat on out balcony while gawking over the incredible views. If you have a clear day, the backdrop of the glacier covered mountains in the distance is wonderful. Yes, it can be cold on the balcony - we just wear a jacket, hat, and cloves. Because the aft balconies are protected from the wind, sometimes it's warm enough to just have on a sweater.

Having done HAL for several GB cruises, I would recommend going up to the Crows Nest early,   by 700 is a good target if you want a seat.  Park rangers ( and a Native  representative from Hoonah) will set up displays and maps that show the approximate times of arrival for all the glaciers. Park rangers are picked up around 0830, and are happy to answer questions.   Bring good binoculars and camera,  walk around outside too, the promenade can be a great spot.  And yes,  your aft balcony is the best when you sail out.

20190529_135745.jpg

Edited by nw gardener

I've only been there once and it was last summer.  We had a mid-ship port side balcony.  I woke up at 4am and decided to haul my pillow and blankets out to the balcony.  I made myself a cozy little bed on the lounge chair and watched the scenery pass as we sailed in.  My husband and children slept away inside the cabin.  We were on Princess so we had a special breakfast brought to us.  It's called something like the "Champagne Balcony Breakfast."   We enjoyed the bay for a couple of hours eating our breakfast and drinking mimosas.  It was really cold so we were bundled up in our jackets, hats, gloves, and blankets.  It was around lunch time when we got to the big glacier.  We had a great view from our balcony so we mostly stayed there.  It had warmed up by the time we were sailing out so we were in shorts and t-shirts and went up to the open deck on the back of the ship.   The solitude of sitting on your balcony and enjoying the scenery is wonderful, but you can't knock the wide open views from the top deck either.  It's stunning no matter where you are!

1 hour ago, nw gardener said:

Having done HAL for several GB cruises, I would recommend going up to the Crows Nest early,   by 700 is a good target if you want a seat.  Park rangers ( and a Native  representative from Hoonah) will set up displays and maps that show the approximate times of arrival for all the glaciers. Park rangers are picked up around 0830, and are happy to answer questions.   Bring good binoculars and camera,  walk around outside too, the promenade can be a great spot.  And yes,  your aft balcony is the best when you sail out.

20190529_135745.jpg

Yes, that's the view!!! I love eating on the balcony with what you see in this picture as the backdrop!!!

Another vote for enjoying GB from an aft balcony. 

Room Service breakfast on the balcony, out of the wind that others will be experiencing, starts my day.  As a photographer, having ipads/phones being held over the heads of those at the outer deck railings and blocking my shots is disconcerting. I can see both sides of the ship from my balcony, only a few feet from own bathroom, warm stateroom, a themos of hot chocolate, snacks, and my minibar.  The ship rotates at Marjorie Glacier so no need to endure the crowded railings. 

I use my tripod for movies on my balcony that would be impossible on the outer decks with lots of people.

Keeping up the tradition, I make a 10:00 AM pea soup excursion to the aft Lido Deck and a restocking of chocolate chip cookies.

Others may have different choices and experiences.

Edited by Crew News

47 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Keeping up the tradition, I make a 10:00 AM pea soup excursion to the aft Lido Deck and a restocking of chocolate chip cookies.

YES!  Love the pea soup.  And DH now insists on aft balconies only for AK for all of those reasons.  But do get outside and listen to the glacier.  Have a great trip.