What About That One Swimming Pool?

need2cruisesoon

16 minutes ago, Geoffa30 said:

Love how there are a selection of people saying it’s not a problem. Do they work for VV or are they influencers desperate to promote the line to ensure they get that free cruise? 

There are genuinely people who don't care about a pool, I've met plenty of them on our various cruises. To degrade their comments just because you don't agree doesn't do this community any good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, creativegenius said:

There are genuinely people who don't care about a pool, I've met plenty of them on our various cruises. To degrade their comments just because you don't agree doesn't do this community any good.

Totally agree. I’ve never been in the pool on a ship in almost 30 cruises. However there is no denying that the pool on Scarlet Lady is pitiful. The white surrounds to the pool are bigger than the pool itself. I expect the hip demographic VV is aiming for are going to want to be seen and a bathtub pool isn’t really cutting it. Will be watching with interest.

The VV offering is an interesting concept - love all the dining and the bars and club - but the pool and the cabins have really missed the mark.

18 minutes ago, Geoffa30 said:

However there is no denying that the pool on Scarlet Lady is pitiful. The white surrounds to the pool are bigger than the pool itself. I expect the hip demographic VV is aiming for are going to want to be seen and a bathtub pool isn’t really cutting it.

It is pitiful and it's one of the things that has us considering cancelling our booking in August. But I would not degrade people who are not concerned about the pool. 

3 hours ago, Geoffa30 said:

Love how there are a selection of people saying it’s not a problem. Do they work for VV or are they influencers desperate to promote the line to ensure they get that free cruise? Judging by the number of emails I get from VV detailing various offers I expect things aren’t going as well as expected particularly as some of those offers are for April and May cruises. I anticipate said offers will increase as people potentially cancel after having seen the ship. 

Do they do classifieds for pre-loved cruise ships? If so watch out for a couple of grey battleships in the next few years.

I've been in a cruise ship pool once in 7 cruises and it was gross tbh. I can't imagine being so self absorbed to think that anyone with different priorities than you must have some ulterior motive to do so

• Like 1

19 hours ago, hotsauce126 said:

I've been in a cruise ship pool once in 7 cruises and it was gross tbh. I can't imagine being so self absorbed to think that anyone with different priorities than you must have some ulterior motive to do so

Perhaps read my subsequent post which says I’ve never been in a cruise ship pool.

Unfortunately the world today is overrun with vloggers, bloggers, influencers et al. Some of who will sell their soul to ensure they keep in with companies for freebies, so forgive me if I’m suspicious.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Geoffa30 said:

Perhaps read my subsequent post which says I’ve never been in a cruise ship pool.

Unfortunately the world today is overrun with vloggers, bloggers, influencers et al. Some of who will sell their soul to ensure they keep in with companies for freebies, so forgive me if I’m suspicious.

Virgin Voyages is doing their marketing on Instagram, and are completely open about it.

Sometimes people do just have different opinions. It's okay. I have suspicions about why certain segments of the cruising customer base are so vocally angry about the existence of Virgin when there are twenty other cruise lines to pick from, but I don't go around accusing individual people of having less than stellar motives. 

Edited by AlyssaJames
  • Like 1

So: Let us to see it from another perspective: All cruise classes of ships that were handed out from around 2005 to date (for reference one can have RCI Freedom class and newer) are fortunately modular. If Virgin (or any other owner) wants to change something, just await the next 5 to 5 years mandatory dry dock for deep revision and they can "easily" to change almost whatever else they want.

That said I notice that big white oval structure around the pool... Maybe they have done a real pool and just filled most of it with a block so they can use that area for other purposes, namely such an open air disco? All of that is possible!... They might have that area done like a Lego!... Oh: Really, at certain extent all the ship is!...

But indeed: Count me among those to whom cruise ship pools don't matter so much. But they are part of the tradition and kids usually love them. Oh, yeah!... VV doesn't accept kids aboard except the kid you own are!... Oh, well!... This ship is quite not functional by design... But this is not her largest malfunction, to say the least. Cabins and most of the furniture are. and the way passages are built from area to area are as well. And that entrance to the night club is simply asking for problems to say the least, unless they have any emergency doors for the case.

Have a nice day!...

On 2/27/2020 at 1:07 PM, eroller said:

Sounds fantastic and a line I need to experience soon!  

I'm sailing on QUEEN VICTORIA next month.  A crossing from Fort Lauderdale to Southampton.  11 days.   Pretty much the polar opposite experience of Virgin.  Cunard is all about tradition, structure, and formality.  It's a bygone era.  Everything Virgin is not.  And yes, there will be old people god forbid!  LOL.  I'm just glad there is room in this industry for all kinds of experiences, like Virgin and Cunard.  Personally I enjoy them both!  

Ernie - that's wonderful you'll be crossing on the Queen Victoria! I hope you have a grand time.

My Cunard sailings have been enjoyable & I too love the Old Guard feeling of sailing that line. I've crossed on Queen Mary II & would like to try Queen Victoria/Elizabeth some time. The refurb of Queen Mary II was awesome to experience first hand. We spent a lot of time in the new Carinthia Lounge(Good riddance Wintergarden!)

Sounds like you're leaning towards giving The Scarlet Lady a try, pool issue be dammed ! Your perspectives will be interesting. 

Bon Voyage & safe travels to you.

Edited by Myrtle Ave. Mayhem
Spelling
  • Like 1

Looking on the bright side, let’s put the pool issue into perspective;

it’s only 5 nights that people have to endure,

and there’s always opportunity for swimming at both of the ports of call

and you can gather around the ‘water hole’ and chat to someone new!

Edited by pcalv
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Myrtle Ave. Mayhem said:

Sounds like you're leaning towards giving The Scarlet Lady a try, pool issue be dammed ! Your perspectives will be interesting. 

Bon Voyage & safe travels to you.

I’m still on the fence but love to try new things.  I’m having brunch onboard in NY on the 8th so I’ll get a better idea then.  Plus the feedback from my friends who are on the crossing now.  

Happy cruising to you as well! 

@eroller Is that a picture from onboard now? Looks like a really nice space now that it’s in use and the furniture in place . Possibly one of the best lidos decks of any ship. Think the purple loungers give an air of Premier Inn.

Edited by Geoffa30

Just now, Geoffa30 said:

@eroller Is that an picture from onboard now? Looks like a really nice space now that it’s in use and the furniture in place . Possibly one of the best lidos decks of any ship. Think the purple loungers give an air of Premier Inn.

Yes the pic is from today.  The ship finally hit some warmer weather on its way to Miami. 

Keep in mind there is only 800 pax onboard, about 1/3 the normal compliment.  

I think the space looks ok. Nothing spectacular.  I've seen far better on other ships.  I would say it's the biggest disappointment for me personally. 

7 minutes ago, AlyssaJames said:

I think it'll look nice when all the chairs are deployed and people are on deck, decor is in place, etc.

That said, the pool part looks even smaller with two adult humans in it for scale. 

Doesn't look very deep either.  It won't take long to get murky being so small and once the parade of people take a dip with all their suntan lotion on.  Might be a pool to be avoided.  

2 hours ago, Geoffa30 said:

@eroller Is that a picture from onboard now? Looks like a really nice space now that it’s in use and the furniture in place . Possibly one of the best lidos decks of any ship. Think the purple loungers give an air of Premier Inn.

With room for 20-25 of those purple loungers only 50 people will get the experience of a Premier Inn.

• Like 1

I have no interest in sitting in the direct sun (I'm in my 50's and if I could tell my younger self to avoid the sun whenever possible, I would), so I am hoping that there is enough shaded seating.  

• Like 3

Tongue in cheek.... let me suggest that the pool design is VV's answer to another problem that plagues most lines:  CHAIR HOGS.

You know how it is... visit the pool deck at 8 am to find every chair claimed with towels, books, bags, t-shirts, glasses..... but not one soul around the pool.

With such a small pool, maybe chair hogs will find no interest in claiming space!

There's a new video on Instagram that shows people using the pool.

Edited by rbt001
  • Like 1

For anyone who wants to use a pool, that pool is ridiculously tiny.  See the pic with just two people in it, and it's barely any room left for anyone else.  I use a cruise pool sometimes but they're usually way too cold.  If they're on the warmer side, I will swim and dip a lot.  More important is hot tubs.  On every single cruise I've been on the hot tubs are the most widely used item and it's what I enjoy the most.  They are usually full on sea days. So I am wondering how many hot tubs they've got on this ship.  Because I think a lot of adults really like soaking and drinking while on a cruise, based on what I've seen on Princess, NCL and Royal.  I agree with everyone who criticized the NCL pools on Breakaway class ships.  They are inadequate.  I only survived because we got the Vibe passes and there they have two large hot tubs that were never crowded.  

16 minutes ago, grouchomarx said:

For anyone who wants to use a pool, that pool is ridiculously tiny.  See the pic with just two people in it, and it's barely any room left for anyone else.  I use a cruise pool sometimes but they're usually way too cold.  If they're on the warmer side, I will swim and dip a lot.  More important is hot tubs.  On every single cruise I've been on the hot tubs are the most widely used item and it's what I enjoy the most.  They are usually full on sea days. So I am wondering how many hot tubs they've got on this ship.  Because I think a lot of adults really like soaking and drinking while on a cruise, based on what I've seen on Princess, NCL and Royal.  I agree with everyone who criticized the NCL pools on Breakaway class ships.  They are inadequate.  I only survived because we got the Vibe passes and there they have two large hot tubs that were never crowded.  

Good news bad news. The second 'wellbeing pool' is actually a very large hottub with seating in the middle as well as all around the perimeter. I think that's going to be a popular space. Looks like two other smaller more traditional hottubs flank this pool.

The bad news that's it for the hottubs; there none that we can see at the main pool area. There does seem to be at least one hottub in Richard's Rooftop area.

Virgin-Voyages-Scarlet-Lady-First-Look-Nicky-Kelvin-35-of-143-scaled(1).jpg

2 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Good news bad news. The second 'wellbeing pool' is actually a very large hottub with seating in the middle as well as all around the perimeter. I think that's going to be a popular space. Looks like two other smaller more traditional hottubs flank this pool.

The bad news that's it for the hottubs; there none that we can see at the main pool area. There does seem to be at least one hottub in Richard's Rooftop area.imageproxy.php?img=&key=6ee4bfcebcfde1cb

imageproxy.php?img=&key=6ee4bfcebcfde1cb

Virgin-Voyages-Scarlet-Lady-First-Look-Nicky-Kelvin-35-of-143-scaled(1).jpg

On the plus that giant hot tub is really like 4 smaller ones combined so good news for those that like hot tubs.  Personally I don't do hot tubs on ships but I like a pool ... so I'm kind of screwed on that one.  It's not a deal breaker for me, but it is disappointing.