Restrict Boarding If Traveled through Northern Italy

Denny01

I put this on the ‘COVID-19 has it impacted your cruise?’ Thread but thought I’d highlight this for all. SilverSea as other Cruise Lines will not allow anyone who has traveled through the Northern Italian regions of Lombardy or Veneto (Venice) in the past 15 days. I’m on the Silversea Shadow cruise out of Roma port in April. I was going to put it on the Roll Call, but no one has posted there since October. 

Here is the post and the website: https://www.silversea.com/update-on-coronavirus.html 

February 24, 2020

The health safety and comfort of our guests and crew are always Silversea Cruises first priority and with this in mind we are closely monitoring the recent development regarding the broad advisory just released by the US State Department. 

The below procedures are in place for all Silversea Cruises Sailings: 

Guests who have traveled from, visited, or transited through airports in China, including Hong Kong and Macau, Iran, South Korea and specific areas of Italy (affected cities within Lombardy and Veneto region) within 15 days of their voyage embarkation, regardless of nationality, will not be allowed to board any of our vessels. The standard incubation period recognized by the WHO and US CDC for this virus is 14 days. 

• Guests who are denied boarding will be issued a full cash refund. 

• For all guests, we will continue standard pre-boarding enhanced health reporting and evaluation. Any guests who appear symptomatic are subject to pre-boarding medical evaluations including but not limited to temperature checks as deemed necessary. Any guest who exhibits symptoms of any respiratory illness while on board will be subject to additional screening at our onboard Medical Center and may be subject to potential quarantine and disembarkation. 

• We have implemented additional cleaning and disinfection protocols on board all voyages. These protocols will be enforced in addition to our already rigorous sanitization standards in place. 

• Our crew members who have traveled from, visited or transited via airports in China, including Hong Kong and Macau, Iran, South Korea and specific areas of Italy (affected cities within Lombardy and Veneto region) within 15 days will not be allowed on board our ships. 

• For all crew, we will implement health reporting and temperature checks. Any crew member who exhibits symptoms of any respiratory illness while on board will be subject to additional screening at our onboard Medical Center and may be subject to potential quarantine and disembarkation. 

• The above measures will remain in effect until further notice and are subject to change at any time as we evaluate the situation and continue to consult with local health authorities as well as CLIA, the WHO and US CDC.

Edited by Denny01

Yes, I normally cruise on Celebrity and they have almost the same Heath Advisory stating the same restrictions on their website. Same general wording; same restrictions. 

We are flying into Rome the day prior to the cruise....we usually spend more time in a Euro departure port/region but not this time. Boy am I glad we decided not to spend time in Northern Italy on this trip!!

Den

Edited by Denny01

And there are many flights from Japan Where the virus is to Las Vegas and flights from Vegas to Omaha and flights and roads between Omaha  and River City so the virus must be right here in River City!!!!! 

we got Trouble right here In River City and it starts with C and ends in A and that spells Corona!!!

I love The Music Man!  

den

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

And there are many flights from Japan Where the virus is to Las Vegas and flights from Vegas to Omaha and flights and roads between Omaha  and River City so the virus must be right here in River City!!!!! 

we got Trouble right here In River City and it starts with C and ends in A and that spells Corona!!!

I love The Music Man!  

den

Indeed there are, and that was my point, but I missed adding the Sarcasm flag. People fly and drive around and take trains and buses all over the place every day. And if the bug is really virulent it will get around, but we tend to panic - remember SARS?, and the media will jump on anything that can be used to spread panic.

That having been said Milan-Rome is like a superhighway and is likely especially prone to spread things. Not just while on the trains, the stations on either end are a wall of humanity.

7 minutes ago, milepig said:

Indeed there are, and that was my point, but I missed adding the Sarcasm flag......

And I love sarcasm especially on such subjects, and you are right about how this thing is spreading. I’ve been on another CC thread that has gone completely overboard (‘sarcasm’ intended) saying how selfish we are to continue to cruise, how cruise line should mothball their ships and so on......Went to a big 300+ party Sat night, with hugging and kissing (well not all 300!) and that would spread it much quicker than going on a cruise. 

But fear overpowers all common sense on what we need to do to protect ourselves and our communities. By the way, I have no answers to any of this.

De

• Like 1

2 hours ago, milepig said:

Just pointing out that there are 39 trains each day in each direction between Milan and Rome. If the virus is in Milan, it's in Rome.

And if its announced, will the next step be to not allow the ship to dock (like just happed to the Spirit in Taiwan, Manilla and Saigon.)

20 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

I’ve been on another CC thread that has gone completely overboard (‘sarcasm’ intended) saying how selfish we are to continue to cruise, how cruise line should mothball their ships and so on...

I bet!  The SS Passengers Facebook page is on the verge of devolving into something similar with people spreading misinformation and demanding that SS should allow people to cancel and receive a full refund because of their personal fears.  I can almost guarantee you, SS is not going to put guests in harms way.

On the CC forum of the cruise I do a lot is the same. One poster insisted on a full refund and not the FCC they were offered, well ahead of the actual cruise date, because they thought the Line was ‘Shameful’ on how it was handling the virus and said they’d never cruise on it again. They spent post after post after post attacking the Line - all in an attempt to give it bad press and get what a full refund instead of a full future credit being offered. After a week or so the Line canceled the cruises impacted, and the Line gave full a refund plus a very nice future credit. My bet was this poster would jump on the future credit and book another now that they got what they wanted.....and cruise on a ‘shameful’ Line anyway. 

I keep trying to stay out of those discussions, but I can’t just shut up!!

Den

the issues with Italy continue to just be in the northern regions and the restrictions haven’t changed from Lombardy and Veneto. Here is a website (done by the Rome Govt) on Rome’s status:

https://www.wantedinrome.com/news/there-is-no-coronavirus-emergency-in-rome.html 

Basically states Rome has no active cases. And it taking proactive actions to protect the city.  Rome’s tourism is being decimated. And or course, the now have over 800 cases north of Rome, ouch. 

Den

The boarding restrictions for Italy have expanded to include the region just north of Tuscany/Florence, the Emilia Romagna region. Can’t travel/be in that region 14 day prior to a boarding. I”m watching closely being one of those cruising out of Rome port in April. My TA is tracking it closely (heck, she’s leading our group!). And like so many others, I prepaid to get the nice discounts, so will be waiting for Silverseas to inform us of options if/when this thing moves south. 

https://www.silversea.com/update-on-coronavirus.html 

Den

Well, Silverseas has now expanded the restrictions of boarding to ‘Italy’, not regions but the entier country. Meaning my cruise out of Rome on 23 April is a no-go. Waiting for my TA and an email from Silverseas to say what is being done. Assume the Shadow departure will be moved and no idea how that impacts us. Fortunately, we are booked via Silverseas for our flights, just have to wait and see. 

den

I can't find the thread about the survey SS sent out but I got it today.  They are asking what countries you will be in

15 days prior to your upcoming cruise.  I will be right here at home.

• Haha 1

I received my survey today as well.  I'm on the Shadow departing on April 9th; itinerary does not include Italy, but have been watching closely as this is unquestionably spreading through Europe and several ports on my voyage have reported cases. 

Now more than 200 cases in France, 188 in Germany and 153 in Spain as of today.

Also noticed there is now availability showing on my voyage, which has been sold out/wait listed for months. 

Edited by Dolcevita Diva

14 hours ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

I received my survey today as well.  I'm on the Shadow departing on April 9th; itinerary does not include Italy, but have been watching closely as this is unquestionably spreading through Europe and several ports on my voyage have reported cases. 

Now more than 200 cases in France, 188 in Germany and 153 in Spain as of today.

Also noticed there is now availability showing on my voyage, which has been sold out/wait listed for months. 

and 118 cases in USA

The numbers are going to continue to rise (at least here in the states)….the testing was SO DELAYED that testing

in BIG numbers are not even starting until this week.

This is weird. As I reported earlier, the SS Health Advisory had stated the boarding restrictions included Italy and not just the original list of 3 nothern regions. But now, and dated the same date as before, the Advisory now lists the 3 regions again as the restriction. This means It doesn’t include Rome. which means the cruises leaving out of the Rome port are still OK as is all the Italian ports south. 

Don’t know if the original 2 March advisory was real and Silversea decided to Not restrict Rome, especially after all the TA’s suddenly started calling them on ‘what the heck....’. , or if it was a mistake. 

Should be interesting what goes on here. 

Den

Well, Princess now has a ship in San Francisco that is not being allowed to dock.  The "GRAND" is their 2nd ship

that is being held up.  I just saw an interview with a gal from CAL who was on board from Feb 11-21st and she just

received an email from the cruise line.  

So it took them 2 weeks to inform customers there is a chance they are infected:classic_blink:...…...someone on that cruise

has since died.   And after arriving in SF back in Feb, the ship did a Hawaii run and was now on its way back

home.  They are now trying to fly test kits over to the ship.   Wouldn't the better thing be to just quarantine the

ship NOW?:classic_rolleyes: OR get everyone OFF the ship and directly into a quarantined area on land?

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Well, Princess now has a ship in San Francisco that is not being allowed to dock.  The "GRAND" is their 2nd ship

that is being held up.  I just saw an interview with a gal from CAL who was on board from Feb 11-21st and she just

received an email from the cruise line.  

So it took them 2 weeks to inform customers there is a chance they are infected:classic_blink:...…...someone on that cruise

has since died.   And after arriving in SF back in Feb, the ship did a Hawaii run and was now on its way back

home.  They are now trying to fly test kits over to the ship.   Wouldn't the better thing be to just quarantine the

ship NOW?:classic_rolleyes: OR get everyone OFF the ship and directly into a quarantined area on land?

Quarantining people on the ship didn't work too well last time! My understanding is that the COVID-19 tests were run only recently, so I'm not sure how anyone could have informed much more quickly than they were. Given that the virus is spreading pretty quickly and that some people are carrying it without symptoms, you could argue that pretty much anyone at any point could have been exposed to it.