AoN insurance FCC FYI

KevintheIrishDJ

1 hour ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

We cancelled 2 cruises in Dec. & Feb.  After weeks of trying to get an answer, we were told FCC's are not covered since the cost is based on your final payment.  Princess said they will not reinstate them because we cancelled at the last minute.  So we are out $400.

For clarity:  Are you speaking of FCC (Future Cruise Credits) or FCD (Future Cruise Deposits). I know many tend to use the terms interchangeably but they are not the same and, in this case, it is important to know which is actually being discussed.

2 minutes ago, Thrak said:

For clarity:  Are you speaking of FCC (Future Cruise Credits) or FCD (Future Cruise Deposits). I know many tend to use the terms interchangeably but they are not the same and, in this case, it is important to know which is actually being discussed.

FCD

2 hours ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

We cancelled 2 cruises in Dec. & Feb.  After weeks of trying to get an answer, we were told FCC's are not covered since the cost is based on your final payment.  Princess said they will not reinstate them because we cancelled at the last minute.  So we are out $400.

You are reimbursed with your insurance payment. 

Not sure who told you the only covered costs are based on your final payment but, this is not correct ... but with some caveats:  

If you canceled for a covered reason through the insurance company (medical, death in the family, ect), then you should get all your non-refundable costs back  ... just not the price you paid for the insurance.  

If you canceled through Princess (for a non-covered reason and after having your claim rejected by their third party insurance company) and had non-refundable deposits on your bookings, you may not get your FCDs back.   Plus, you will only receive what you've paid back in the form future cruise credits....not in cash.  Does this sound like your scenario?  If not, I'd call back and get a better explanation ... 

PS -- if you canceled and your FCDs were used in bookings with refundable deposits and if your FCDs were close to expiration, you may be getting a check in the mail for those FCDs via Bottomline Technologies.  I had a couple that I forgot about after canceling a cruise with Princess and lo and behold, I received a check for $200 in the mail a few months after their expiration date.  I'm just trying to cover every possible scenario in case that's what happened to you but without knowing your specific circumstances, it's hard to say if this is what has happened to you.  

30 minutes ago, Coral said:

You are reimbursed with your insurance payment. 

That is what I meant to say.  Princess gave us back only sales & port tax.  Not the FCD.  Since the FCD was not included in the final payment (the premium is a % of the final payment), AoN "can't" reimburse it.

Edited by KevintheIrishDJ

7 minutes ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

That is what I meant to say.  Princess gave us back only sales & port tax.  Not the FCD.  Since the FCD was not included in the final payment (the premium is a % of the final payment), AoN "can't" reimburse it.

AON could not give me back my FCD but they gave me my $100 in my check reimbursement.

I think we are saying the same thing.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

The "new" fares this past year or so are causing a lot of confusion. Some fare sales had non-refundable deposits voiding your right to get back the Future Cruise Deposits. Princess is following the trend of Celebrity and RCCL  having refundable fare, non-refundable fare, refundable deposits, and non refundable deposits.  If it was under a non-refundable deposit sale...the odds are good you won't get it back because it was the deposit.

8 hours ago, Magellan321 said:

The "new" fares this past year or so are causing a lot of confusion. Some fare sales had non-refundable deposits voiding your right to get back the Future Cruise Deposits. Princess is following the trend of Celebrity and RCCL  having refundable fare, non-refundable fare, refundable deposits, and non refundable deposits.  If it was under a non-refundable deposit sale...the odds are good you won't get it back because it was the deposit.

It sounds reasonable to me, though.  As I mentioned above, I knew that I would be risking my FCD or $100 pp if I needed to cancel.  With Celebrity, I also have a booking with a FCD and wanted to keep it as a refundable deposit, although ... the way they do it is they charge you $100 pp to switch it to a different sailing.  It's still too far off in the future for me to say I want the non-refundable deposit on that one.  I could have saved a little on the fare plus gotten that fourth free perk if I was willing to change it to non-refundable....but, I didn't.  

All my Princess bookings were made using FCD's as well ... and all with refundable deposits.  The only one I don't have under that refundable deposit is past the final payment date.  If, for some reason, I need to cancel it, I'm ok with not getting that FCD back.  I'd rather not lose it but, if I had to, it's not the end of the world just as long as the balance, minus the FCD, would be given back.  

• Like 1

I have a email from Princess confirming purchase Future Cruise ###.

The  email header says        Future Cruise Deposit Letter

The PDF attached is called Onboard Deposit Letter

The Letter states                  Future Cruise Credit.

Is OP saying that FCD was not reinstated and so they lose the ability to use it as a deposit and also OBC that goes with it. Or that they lost the $100 that FCD was worth ? We cancelled for Medical Reason after Final payment and all refunds matched all payments with the exception of Insurance cost. So we got back the cost of our FCD, it did not occur to me that we had lost the benefits of an FCD.