Would you cancel due to Coronavirus?

rascalchu

I'm live near the Seattle nursing home  where most of the deaths have come from, so I might actually be safer on a ship...Though, maybe ya'll wouldn't want me! We leave on the 21st and I  and my other half work from home so quarantining on ship wouldn't be an issue and I've been pretty much self quarantining anyway as it doesn't feel all that safe here. 

I'm still so torn. Guess I have a couple of weeks to decide. 

There is a new hand washing video.  Freestyle Daily & announcements to always wash your hands, dont touch other people, etc.  

But no one running around (even at check in) with thermometers.

Washy washy squad seems to have multiplied.

On 2/29/2020 at 4:33 PM, GettotheSun said:

2 weeks to go sailing to the Caribbean.  I guess alot could happen in 2 weeks, but absolutely no plans to cancel.  Quite the contrary, just went and bought a few clothes and things for the cruise.  

Having said that, like blcruising, I bought the 'cancel for any reason' so I'm mentally prepared to eat 25% if this gets out of hand quickly and I don't feel it is safe for my family.  Sort of a vague statement, but I guess I mean I'd make a call based on the facts at the time.  But certainly no plan to cancel now, why would I?

WE FEEL EXACTLY THE SAME.  NOT CANCELLING.  Leaving on 3\16 out of NYC for the Caribbean.  We have until 48 hrs before sailing to cancel with a full refund.  if something major happens in the next 7 days, we will have to make a decision. so far, we are going.  hoping for a big upgrade!

Actually, we are seriously thinking about canceling our cruise.  We cruise the 22nd, and with New York City declaring a state of emergency it’s sounding more like it might be wise to cancel. I’m less concerned about the virus, but more concerned about the effect it will have on transportation to and from the pier (we’re doing Amtrak) as well as the possibility that other cruisers may have respiratory symptoms that would cause us to have to wait on board while they rule out.  Since I still work, I do have to take my PTO time into consideration, and I do have a job to get back to.  Hate to miss a cruise, but that miserable real life keeps poking its head in! 😆

15 minutes ago, mnsweeps said:

Not sure of your reaction.. I am happy I cancelled and would be getting full refund. The 48 hours cancellation is a useless policy.

Aah, I misunderstood, I thought you were upset because you cancelled before the new policy came out.  And it may have been useless for you but for us we're within 2 weeks of going.  We couldn't cancel.  So our bacon is saved, financially.  Not because we want to cancel, but now we can if it gets worse.  

• Like 1

Not afraid of coronavirus.  However, the lack of proper screening of passengers that has led to quarantines is what I would have a fear of.  Just on the news this morning is the story of a sheriff's deputy who retired after 35 years on the job and as a retirement gift he was given a cruise.  He is now quarantined off the coast of CA.  What's frustrating is he said that passengers that disembarked before his cruise tested positive for the virus and had symptoms yet they still allowed everyone to board.  Its the incompetence of government officials that scares me much more than any virus.  How about the woman who had symptoms yet the CDC refused to give her a test.  Then she went into serious condition and they finally were able to find a test to confirm she had the virus.  Eventually this will finally get under control but it will get much worse before it gets better.  The Chinese government ignored it and then jailed the doctor who was fighting the government trying to prevent the spread. Our government has not been much better.  Yes rally the troops.  This wont stop us but you must have proper testing equipment available which they have been slow to act on.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, cooncat_mom said:

Actually, we are seriously thinking about canceling our cruise.  We cruise the 22nd, and with New York City declaring a state of emergency it’s sounding more like it might be wise to cancel. I’m less concerned about the virus, but more concerned about the effect it will have on transportation to and from the pier (we’re doing Amtrak) as well as the possibility that other cruisers may have respiratory symptoms that would cause us to have to wait on board while they rule out.  Since I still work, I do have to take my PTO time into consideration, and I do have a job to get back to.  Hate to miss a cruise, but that miserable real life keeps poking its head in! 😆

I am there with you... we are set to sail this weekend out of NY and have resolved to cancel given the new 48 window and 100% refund in FCC.  Especially with the window of sailing being up to December 2022.  We will 'lose' flight money, though they will allow us to reschedule a flight only up to June 2020, but I can't think there will be anything I would book within that window.  I consider the flight money already spent so the only true loss in any of this at this point is the experience and this was really a cruise to nowhere for us since we've done all the ports.

Still haven't done it yet, since nothing can be done until Tuesday but that is our plan.  Sucks but I am feeling very good about my decision, especially given my travel partner is prone to bronchial viruses.

We used CAS for booking and already called them yesterday and they were just learning this new policy but she did say that ALL of anything we paid would go to the FCC... taxes, paid service charges, (admin fee I think) .. everything ... we shall see.

I have never felt uneasy before in any trip I have taken, many All Inclusive trips, Disney many times, 10 cruises ...this one is different.

Edited by poffles
To say unsure about admin fee refund.

No I wouldn't .. you have  more of a chance of getting more sick from a Nora Virus outbreak on a ship should there be one ....   (I'm highly suspecting ships are there cleanest right now!)

The Media has cause huge hysteria -   Lets put it in prospective -- Amongst all the other disease in the last 40 years that have come out there have only been two Pandemics  HIV and the H1N1 (Swine Flu ) in 2009.   

The flu is more dangerous then the COVID-19.  -  With the FLU over 600,000 people in U.S Hospitalized 10,000 deaths this season.   Mostly elderly and Children.   COVID 19 for whatever reason at the moment children are vectors.

H1N1 - 2009. 57,000 U.S Citizens infected 11,000 Died   - Low - Moderate official pandemic 

COVID19 is not new but it's the first time its spreading human to human .  it lasts on the surface for up to 9 days making it more contagious then the flu.   The majority of those infected are ""A" symptomatic, do not know they have it or fail to report it .   Current death rates majority are affecting those over 60 years with previous respiratory medical or immune issues .   They are starting to revise the death precentage with age groups to lower numbers because they are not taking in account those cases not reported. Death rates in the single digits...   This virus will be around for a few years if not here to stay.   

I have been dealing with the hysteria and potential cases first hand and this virus of all my experience in emergency service is the least of my worry ....  So no I am not canceling, My Family will continue practices such washing hands frequently covering over mouths when coughing and sneezing etc to stay from any virus or illness .. So Washy washy! 

#stopthepanic!

Edited by JPL1966
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, JPL1966 said:

No I wouldn't .. you have  more of a chance of getting more sick from a Nora Virus outbreak on a ship should there be one ....   (I'm highly suspecting ships are there cleanest right now!)

The Media has cause huge hysteria -   Lets put it in prospective -- Amongst all the other disease in the last 20 years that have come out there have only been two Pandemics  HIV and the H1N1 (Swine Flu ) in 2009.   

The flu is more dangerous then the COVID-19.  -  With the FLU over 600,000 people in U.S Hospitalized 10,000 deaths this season.   Mostly elderly and Children.   COVID 19 for whatever reason at the moment children are vectors.

H1N1 - 2009. 57,000 U.S Citizens infected 11,000 Died   - Low - Moderate official pandemic 

COVID19 is not new but it's the first time its spreading human to human .  it lasts on the surface for up to 9 days making it more contagious then the flu.   The majority of those infected are ""A" symptomatic, do not know they have it or fail to report it .   Current death rates majority are affecting those over 60 years with previous respiratory medical or immune issues .   They are starting to revise the death precentage with age groups to lower numbers because they are not taking in account those cases not reported. Death rates in the single digits...   This virus will be around for a few years if not here to stay.   

I have been dealing with the hysteria and potential cases first hand and this virus of all my experience in emergency service is the least of my worry ....  So no I am not canceling, My Family will do as we anytime continue practices such washing hands frequently covering over mouths when coughing and sneezing etc to stay from any virus or illness .. So Washy washy! 

#stopthepanic!

1 hour ago, ellis101 said:

Not cancelling - the big picture risk is stupidly low - shame the media cant get their heads around that!

I don't consider my self 'stupid' (I know you didn't directly call anyone stupid) and I will not dispute the 'risk' of getting the coronavirus being low, BUT the media hysteria is REAL and how things are being handled is REAL.  Until the hysteria settles (it is still growing!) and the blanket decisions to quarantine ships is not so REAL, those that decide not to travel are not necessarily only considering the risk of illness to ourselves. Just reading Italy is now banning Travel ... that's REAL. 

For me the decision is a balanced one that weighs all things in play and travelling (connecting flights) across border and being on a cruise definitely slants things for me and having minimal loss allows me to really ponder.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by poffles
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ellis101 said:

Not cancelling - the big picture risk is stupidly low - shame the media cant get their heads around that!

The risk of you personally contracting it is low. The risk that your travel plans could be adversely impacted by the virus may not be as low as you may think.....delayed debark causing missed connections, Itinerary changes etc. I'm not saying you should cancel, just don't be short sighted on the reality of this.

Edited by blcruising
  • Like 3

I'm thinking at this point I still ride it out until two or three days prior to departure. Rome is included in my itinerary and I do have a flight to the US out of FCO. I did buy CFAR. My best bet at getting a full refund on my flight is if the carrier cancels...right now I would lose 25% of the fare but get a refund for the government taxes. Ditto with NCL. If I cancel Tuesday, I get FCC. If NCL cancels, wouldn't I get a full refund, not FCC?? Lots can happen between now and then so I don't see a benefit to rushing out on Tuesday to cancel, thereby closing out my options. Am I thinking about this the right way?? Thank you.

21 minutes ago, poffles said:

I don't consider my self 'stupid' and I will not dispute the 'risk' of getting the coronavirus being low, BUT the media hysteria is REAL and how things are being handled is REAL.  Until the hysteria settles (it is still growing!) and the blanket decisions to quarantine ships is not so REAL, those that decide not to travel are not necessarily only considering the risk of illness to ourselves. Just reading Italy is now banning Travel ... that's REAL. 

For me the decision is a balanced one that weighs all things in play and travelling (connecting flights) across border and being on a cruise definitely slants things for me and having minimal loss allows me to really ponder.

Enjoy your cruise!

I understand .. no disrespect to anyone the issue I have is the hysteria that's been created . We will overload our health care , Ems systems not to mention supplies and use of unnecessary medications. Remember when Tamiflu (H1n1 outbreak) was selling on Ebay now it's N95 masks.

Should we also stop manufacturing , food services, trade, and the hand exchange of money.  Money being one of the most infected items we handle daily.    Again its the surfaces..  Exampe manufacture a TV .. Someone on the line is "A" symptomatic TV gets package delivered to store bought and unpacked by buyer in another country and now is infected..... just saying.. Yes we all need to take extra personal responsibility to minimize the chances.  

Be safe ...

Edited by JPL1966

My husband and I are in our 60's and 70's and need to fly to catch our cruise.We are not all that concerned

about catching the virus. We are concerned about being quarantined because we are primary caregivers

to two elderly people and even though we have arranged coverage for when we are away I am sure

the family member is not on board with 30 days if the 15 days we are cruising extends another 14 or so days.

Still going to wait it out to see what happens in the next month.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, JPL1966 said:

I understand .. no disrespect to anyone the issue I have is the hysteria that's been created .

Be safe ...

No disrespect taken, just pointing out that decisions at this point are not based solely on the risk of getting the virus.

I agree 'Be safe' .... meanwhile as I type this another ship held... Regal Princess off Florida.   So people stuck on ship and the following cruise to have left today is now cancelled.

Regal Princess Held off Florida - March 8-2022

Edited by poffles

That seems pretty extreme.  Just because two crew members were also on the other ship they are holding them at sea and cancelling the next cruise?

The unspoken thing here has to be that they are sick or displaying symptoms right?  I mean they must have known for a week they were on that ship?

If CDC is going to start holding ships every time it is discovered that one or two people onboard was proximate to infected people weeks before, cruise activity will cease within weeks.  Something has to be missing from the report.

Edited by Regguy

5 minutes ago, Regguy said:

That seems pretty extreme.  

Totally agree but this has now resolved my decision to cancel my Sunday cruise and use FCC for a future cruise.  Total crap shoot on what could happen right now.

• Like 2

For people talking about mortality rates by country—there are too many variables to properly understand it.  What’s key is by AGE.  Source of data below is world-o-meter but I ran across similar data yesterday on a more official site; I forget whether it was a scientific publication or WHO/CDC, but this is valid data:

80+ years old   All cases. 21.9%   Confirmed cases.  14.8%
70-79 years old   8.0%
60-69 years old   3.6%
50-59 years old   1.3%
40-49 years old    0.4%
30-39 years old    0.2%
20-29 years old    0.2%
10-19 years old    0.2%

0-9 years old         no fatalities 

You could further break this down by country, although I haven’t seen data (haven’t looked though) because there should be country to country differences based on lifestyle and healthcare availability - e.g. China was stated as having higher mortality rate for men, and it was noted that a large percentage of men smoke, so that makes sense.

Hubs and I are debating cancelling our Norway Midnight Sun trip in mid-June - Southampton to various Norway stops.  Our concerns are primarily the potential for quarantine and of course, getting the virus.  We’re both 66 so in the 3.6% range.  We can cancel with full refund through next weekend, and our airfare was points, so the redeposit fee isn’t terrible—but I suspect we’ll wait it out because we can get the FCC, and who knows if the airlines might be a bit more generous with mileage redeposit fees if things spiral worse.

My personal opinion is that the media is going crazy with this because it sells clicks & papers - but the governmental quarantines absolutely speak volumes.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, erdoran said:

My personal opinion is that the media is going crazy with this because it sells clicks & papers - but the governmental quarantines absolutely speak volumes.

Agree ... the governmental quarantines have me totally fascinated actually ... and clearly not in a good way.  The impact of this is astounding.