Friend might cancel - what to do?

My friend is still worried about catching COVID-19 or being quarantined in the ship, even after telling her the precautions RCI has been doing and the comparison between COVID-19 and the flu.

I still want to go on the cruise and I am okay being by myself.

What is the best way for my friend to cancel if she decides not to go?

Should she cancel before the cruise or just not show up?

Will I have to pay additional like a single supplement?

Can I have someone else take her place? If so, do we need to pay additional?

TIA!

You don't say when the cruise is. If it is all paid for and coming up shortly, your friend can just be a "no show", you go by yourself and have a great time, your friend gets back port fees, taxes and anything else that was prepaid. You pay nothing more, but you do qualify for double points.

Up until, I believe, 72 hours before the sailing, you can change the name and have someone different come with you for sail no adjustment in price.

If it's before the final payment, you both can cancel, you both lose your nonrefundable deposit. If just your roommate cancels, you may have to reprice the room for a single supplement at that cabin category's current price. 

I just went through this with a friend for a land trip. I pointed out that we still travel even though 18,000 Americans have already died of the flu this year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OP appears to be on April 26th Harmony cruise according to the roll call she is on so they are in 75 % cancel charge period.

It would be best to get someone else to replace her friend. If not possible have her friend as a no show to avoid repricing as a solo cruise at double current cruise fare. OP could give her friend the 25% of fare she would get back if friend cancelled now.

Edited by robtulipe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

You don't say when the cruise is. If it is all paid for and coming up shortly, your friend can just be a "no show", you go by yourself and have a great time, your friend gets back port fees, taxes and anything else that was prepaid. You pay nothing more, but you do qualify for double points.

Up until, I believe, 72 hours before the sailing, you can change the name and have someone different come with you for sail no adjustment in price.

If it's before the final payment, you both can cancel, you both lose your nonrefundable deposit. If just your roommate cancels, you may have to reprice the room for a single supplement at that cabin category's current price. 

I just went through this with a friend for a land trip. I pointed out that we still travel even though 18,000 Americans have already died of the flu this year. 

17 minutes ago, robtulipe said:

OP appears to be on April 26th Harmony cruise according to the roll call she is on so they are in 75 % cancel charge period.

It would be best to get someone else to replace her friend. If not possible have her friend as a no show to avoid repricing as a solo cruise at double current cruise fare. OP could give her friend the 25% of fare she would get back if friend cancelled now.

Thank you so much for the info! I’m so sorry, forgot to add my sailing. Yes, it’s 4/26 on Harmony.

12 minutes ago, molly361 said:

She should check her policy then.  Just being a no show like others are advising might not work if she wants to put in a claim which I assume she would do

Thank you. We don't have "cancel for any reason" coverage. I looked at the policy and I don't think cancelling for pandemic concern without being ill is one of the covered reasons. My friend doesn't mind losing the money, that's how afraid she is. But I can't afford to lose money or pay any more so I am concerned that if she cancels, I will be paying extra.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gmros said:

Thank you. We don't have "cancel for any reason" coverage. I looked at the policy and I don't think cancelling for pandemic concern without being ill is one of the covered reasons. My friend doesn't mind losing the money, that's how afraid she is. But I can't afford to lose money or pay any more so I am concerned that if she cancels, I will be paying extra.

Then see if you can find someone to take her place or have her be a no show.  She should get back her taxes and port fees

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, molly361 said:

Then see if you can find someone to take her place or have her be a no show.  She should get back her taxes and port fees

Thank you, we'll do that.

3 minutes ago, brillohead said:

That's almost TWO MONTHS from now..... a lot can happen in two months!

I did tell her that. There's no point in worrying about something that's 2 months from now. She's always been a worry wart and she keeps sending me articles about COVID-19. At this point, seeing how worried she is, I don't think I even want her to go and deal with her constant worry during the cruise. I am not telling her that, but I have moved on from telling her not to worry to giving her options on how to cancel.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gmros said:

I did tell her that. There's no point in worrying about something that's 2 months from now. She's always been a worry wart and she keeps sending me articles about COVID-19. At this point, seeing how worried she is, I don't think I even want her to go and deal with her constant worry during the cruise. I am not telling her that, but I have moved on from telling her not to worry to giving her options on how to cancel.

I have a friend like that as well

Do you have a friend or family member who might want to go on a discounted cruise, that would pay her the 25% + port fees she'd get back if she cancelled, and then you can travel with a non-anxiety-ridden travelmate?

53 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Do you have a friend or family member who might want to go on a discounted cruise, that would pay her the 25% + port fees she'd get back if she cancelled, and then you can travel with a non-anxiety-ridden travelmate?

I'll try that, thank you.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, WI-Cruiser said:

She has several weeks before the point where she'll lose 100% (30 days prior to cruise).  She should at least wait until closer to that point to make a decision.

I'll tell her, thank you.

Some people make decisions based on data, some people make decisions based on stories. Your friend appears to be the latter. She probably won't care but you can point out that in the time since that one ship was put under quarantine there have been thousands of cruise ship sailings that began and ended without quarantine. 

I am going through the same thing.  I have two roommates and both are very worried.  I have told them the only way I am not going on this cruise is if Royal cancels.  We are to sail on March 23.  I am very willing to go by myself.

40 minutes ago, luvtocruiseNH said:

I am going through the same thing.  I have two roommates and both are very worried.  I have told them the only way I am not going on this cruise is if Royal cancels.  We are to sail on March 23.  I am very willing to go by myself.

They're in the 100% penalty phase... I'll take their bed!  LOL

5 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

If your friend is not a senior and doesn't have an underlying condition than she has nothing to worry about regarding Covid-19. Enjoy your cruise....chances are it won't be a full sailing. 

She’s healthy and not senior, but she’s still very worried. I work in the healthcare industry and I even told her I’ll bring any protective gear, disinfecting agents, etc that I can bring; but that wasn’t enough for her 🤷‍♀️

3 hours ago, SG65CB said:

Some people make decisions based on data, some people make decisions based on stories. Your friend appears to be the latter. She probably won't care but you can point out that in the time since that one ship was put under quarantine there have been thousands of cruise ship sailings that began and ended without quarantine. 

She sent me the article about Anthem just last week! I told her it was old story and that Anthem has sailed a few times since. I have given up actually. She can cancel if she wants.

2 hours ago, luvtocruiseNH said:

After giving her reassurances for a month now, I just gave up convincing her. If only we’re on the same sailing, we can hang out together!

It sounds like your friend won't enjoy the cruise anyway.  She'll worry the whole time.  What a shame.  Of course no one can really tell, but it seems the cruise ships are taking extraordinary precautions.  Seems more likely to get coronavirus in an airport or even a shopping mall than on a cruise ship.  

Your friend can not claim against the insurance.  They simply won't cover that.  Only cancel for any reason would work, and you said she didn't have that.  So best bet is either pay her the 25% she'd get back and have her no show, or find a replacement.  I suspect that the 25% is less than a single supplement.  

Eitherway, enjoy your cruise.