MSC refund policy coronavirus

niko40

Looks like some information from the TA booking side, link to your source?  Your first post looks to me that they were saying they were only sending emails to people for cruises 14 days prior to sailing to apply to the assurance plan.  As far as I have seen the FCC has always been issued 14 days after the cruise date for the reason I previously mentioned.  Your second post looks like a typical MSC screw up perhaps before they realized the potential damage it could cause and followed all other cruise lines in issuing the FCC after your sail date.  I don't think that wording ever made it to the consumer website, unfortunately it may have led many TA's to give out bad information.

Edited by Até

13 hours ago, Fly2where said:

Hi,

It's under price detail -- > price break down, I just click on the item and then cancel.

Not sure if this make a difference. I did create online account to see my trip instead of just log in the trip using booking # and last name. You can see a lot more info if you create an online account vs just log in using booking #. 

Hope it helps. 

Thank you for your response.

I do have online account on. MSC.USA site. Able to pull up price detail and price breakdown. When I click on item....nothing happens. Went to purchases and tried to do the same...not happening. Maybe it is because it is laundry package and not an excursion, in house purchase item, that keeps it on our account. Just riffing...

Perhaps website is no longer responsive to this feature?

thanks again for input and help. 

3 hours ago, Até said:

Looks like some information from the TA booking side, link to your source?  Your first post looks to me that they were saying they were only sending emails to people for cruises 14 days prior to sailing to apply to the assurance plan.  As far as I have seen the FCC has always been issued 14 days after the cruise date for the reason I previously mentioned.  Your second post looks like a typical MSC screw up perhaps before they realized the potential damage it could cause and followed all other cruise lines in issuing the FCC after your sail date.  I don't think that wording ever made it to the consumer website, unfortunately it may have led many TA's to give out bad information.

Hi,

You are probably right, I merely point out info given by MSC. And those are old info now. 

First first quote is from FAQ, and the full language is 2 days prior to sailing for cancellation, but 14 days prior to sail date will issue FCC if assurance plan already applied, so its not apply for assurance plan 14 days prior. (As I said before, I confirmed the info with MSC CS)

2nd quote is copy from MSC book (btw, the font highlight is made by MSC, not me, they indeed highlight as 14 days prior to original departure date.) 

Now, they changed to 14 days after the original sail date for FCC, up to 60 days for refund. 

like you said, the info could simply a mistake, but this is certainly available to TA. 

3 hours ago, phissy said:

Thank you for your response.

I do have online account on. MSC.USA site. Able to pull up price detail and price breakdown. When I click on item....nothing happens. Went to purchases and tried to do the same...not happening. Maybe it is because it is laundry package and not an excursion, in house purchase item, that keeps it on our account. Just riffing...

Perhaps website is no longer responsive to this feature?

thanks again for input and help. 

Hi, laundry package should be no difference than excursion.

Just want to confirm, did you purchase the package online or thru TA? if thru TA, then you probably need to contact your TA. Worse case, you just need to ring up MSC. But if you asked for refund and could wait for 60 days, then it's less hassle just stay put. 

edit to clarify, you could purchase and pay for your cruise fare via TA, and purchase the add-on yourself online by log in using your booking # or your online account, which should also allow you to cancel online. But if you purchase the "add on" via TA, than you need to go to your TA. 

Hope they didn't change it. 

Edited by Fly2where

Happy Easter all hope everyone is well and surviving lockdown i have not been on for a while more important things to worry about in these times, but looks like better news about refunds if any of us get to cruise this year.

Stay safe alll.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2020 at 7:03 PM, mattcruise615 said:

Hi DerTobi75, 

I also booked through the German MSC office and my cruise was cancelled (Grand Voyage departing March 29) -- my story is in a post a bit further up in the thread. 

I'm trying to send you a message but the website says "This feature is disabled". 

Please message me if you can! 

Best wishes,

Matt

Hi Matt,

sorry for my late reply. Are you from Germany? I can post my Mail, right now, we did not get any answer  from MSC, execpt to wait.

Tobi

35 minutes ago, Seanocelt said:

People have a habit of stopping posting when their situation is resolved, on other forums ive used   It would be nice i we can post on this thread any outcomes of credit/refunds received please? Thanks.

I'm FROM THE UK and wrote several times a while ago but suffered some abuse so didn't write again. My position remains the same as on the 12th March when I was told a refund was being processed. Being 73, and with underlying conditions, I had written to ask for this before I received notification that my 7 nt cruise from Dubai, due to sail on 4th April, had been cancelled. We had booked direct with MSC. A subsequent notice online said the new Ts and Cs offered FCCs only but my agreement superceded those revisions. I have emailed a few times to keep the pot boiling understanding that they are overworked and will wait a bit longer. I booked over 12 mths ago and paid in full 90 days before the cruise as is normal in the UK. I have no idea where that places me in any queue devised by MSC. My travel insurers aren't interested because MSC cancelled the cruise leaving me to dispute it with them. I have since alerted my Mastercard credit card providers of the position under Section 75 but am reasonably content to wait a little longer to maybe reach the 60 days since the cruise date pass.

Despite not writing for ages I read all the contributions and haven't yet actually read of anyone IN THE UK having received a refund so guess, for the moment, we are all in the same boat unless someone knows different

I live in hopes

I've also had a confirmation from P and O that they will be refunding my full payment within 60 days and counting so will wait for that too. It's worth noting(?) that they also changed their Ts and Cs to remove the refund offer and replace with a good FCC offer. They do allow a longer period in which to use their FCCs than MSC and don't restrict the area in which you can spend them

FCCs are probably going to be no good to me and many others because there is doubt cruising will be possible, or desirable, for us in the future especially if travel insurance is unobtainable.

Despite the refunds at stake being in the order of £10,000 we are more concerned about staying alive to benefit.....

Edited by Intergalactic Cruiser
typo
  • Like 1

Prior to the 4 day shut down over Easter MSC updated their UK page, the FCC can be used for any cruise and those wanting a refund can apply at the end of July. It will take around 60 days for refunds to be processed.

14 minutes ago, sidari said:

Prior to the 4 day shut down over Easter MSC updated their UK page, the FCC can be used for any cruise and those wanting a refund can apply at the end of July. It will take around 60 days for refunds to be processed.

Yes, by which time I will have waited around 150 days since they told me mine was 'being processed' ( and MSC  will have had my money for over 200 days) Were there not to be any further delays or changes of Ts and Cs that would be of some comfort but I've not noticed anyone complimenting them too much on their  customer relations. Patience is a virtue blah blah blah.😁

5 hours ago, DerTobi75 said:

Hi Matt,

sorry for my late reply. Are you from Germany? I can post my Mail, right now, we did not get any answer  from MSC, execpt to wait.

Tobi

Hi Tobi, 

Thanks for your reply 🙂

Yes, I'm from Germany! 

I finally received a reply from a representative from MSC who wrote me that "a refund of the travel value is currently not possible."

I then filed a complaint with the European Consumer Center Germany (https://www.evz.de/en/questions-complaints/) and recently heard back from them that they cannot arbitrate the dispute because MSC is based in a non-EU country (Switzerland). 

I'm now filing the same complaint with the Universalschlichtungsstelle des Bundes (https://www.verbraucher-schlichter.de/start) to start an arbitration with the German MSC office. 

Please feel free to send me a private message with your email. When I try to send you a message it says "This feature is disabled."

Best regards,

Matt

• Like 1

Hi,

For those booked with MSC USA (other counties might have similar language), I spoke with a friend today, who reminded me this:

• WHAT IF I ALREADY APPLIED FOR CRUISE ASSURANCE AND MY MAY CRUISE IS NOW CANCELED?

impacted guests who previously opted in to our MSC Cruise Assurance program for a 100% FCC are now eligible for the higher 125% FCC. If you have been impacted by the canceled cruises until May 29th and previously submitted a request through MSC Cruise Assurance, YOU MUST CLICK ONE OF THE LINKS BELOW AND FILL OUT THE FORM TO MAKE YOUR CHANGES: 
    Caribbean Cruises from Miami, click here 
    Non-Caribbean cruises, click here  

I already submitted the price assurance back to early March, was being told by MSC rep in writing that no further action needed, and don't call or email them regarding this. But my friend told me it's not the case, because MSC changed the rule mid-way due to overwhelming amount of cancellation and refund. So for a safe bet, I click on the link MSC provided and follow their instruction
(because I applied for 100% price assurance before they changed to 125%), even though I already had price assurance program in my booking. 

On 4/11/2020 at 11:23 AM, Até said:

On 4/11/2020 at 3:29 PM, Fly2where said:

Hi,

You are probably right, I merely point out info given by MSC. And those are old info now. 

First first quote is from FAQ, and the full language is 2 days prior to sailing for cancellation, but 14 days prior to sail date will issue FCC if assurance plan already applied, so its not apply for assurance plan 14 days prior. (As I said before, I confirmed the info with MSC CS)

2nd quote is copy from MSC book (btw, the font highlight is made by MSC, not me, they indeed highlight as 14 days prior to original departure date.) 

Now, they changed to 14 days after the original sail date for FCC, up to 60 days for refund. 

like you said, the info could simply a mistake, but this is certainly available to TA. 

To follow up on this. I spoke with a friend today, he told me MSC "was" indeed planned to issue the credit 14 days prior to departure day originally, however, these are just personal opinion, nothing official from MSC.  Due to following reasons below:

1) Originally, the affected cruises were only those Asia and Europe, nothing in America for example. MSC might hope people could rebook to other designations.

2) There is no extra credit in the beginning, so, it really doesn't matter what date/place you book, they hold your money 100%. The didn't lose anything, but secured your money. And it's available 1 year from the original departure date. 

3) People already block out the vacation time, similar to reason (1) in the hope people could rebook, and not wasted their vacation. 

4) they might know potentially more cruises could be cancelled, they rather rebook you asap than issue you credit card/cash refund if they forced to cancel the booking. 

5) this is a one time, hopefully, worldwide crisis, history of handling could be irrelevant. 

Long story short, there is no mistake in communication, but MSC did change the rule afterwards as we all know. 

Now, going to back to my personal experience, I spoke with Crisis team in early March, the rep was very very nice (although long wait time), she indeed suggested me to rebook to USA on the same travel date, that she could hold the booking for me, and directly transfer the credit, and no need to wait for voucher, the goal was my family could still go on vacation on the same date. I am glad I didn't take her offer due to my indecision, now I got 125%. 

Edited by Fly2where

24 minutes ago, Fly2where said:

Now, going to back to my personal experience, I spoke with Crisis team in early March, the rep was very very nice (although long wait time), she indeed suggested me to rebook to USA on the same travel date, that she could hold the booking for me, and directly transfer the credit, and no need to wait for voucher, the goal was my family could still go on vacation on the same date. I am glad I didn't take her offer due to my indecision, now I got 125%. 

Forgot to mention, when I spoke to crisis team, she even told me she could make an exception to give me partial refund as long as I am booking in the same category, ie yacht club to yacht club. She said normally she would only give me another voucher for the difference, but this time a one time exception. But if the price is higher, I need to pay for the difference. She also said she could process on the spot, no need to wait, but the new booking has to be confirmed right the way, and no changes is allowed. 

16 hours ago, mattcruise615 said:

Hi Tobi, 

Thanks for your reply 🙂

Yes, I'm from Germany! 

I finally received a reply from a representative from MSC who wrote me that "a refund of the travel value is currently not possible."

I then filed a complaint with the European Consumer Center Germany (https://www.evz.de/en/questions-complaints/) and recently heard back from them that they cannot arbitrate the dispute because MSC is based in a non-EU country (Switzerland). 

I'm now filing the same complaint with the Universalschlichtungsstelle des Bundes (https://www.verbraucher-schlichter.de/start) to start an arbitration with the German MSC office. 

Please feel free to send me a private message with your email. When I try to send you a message it says "This feature is disabled."

Best regards,

Matt

Hi,

PNs are disabled for me as well. You can reach me at tobias(a)heyn(punkt)net 😉

Tobi

5 hours ago, DerTobi75 said:

Hi,

PNs are disabled for me as well. You can reach me at tobias(a)heyn(punkt)net 😉

Tobi

So, we are 31 pages in on this and my memory recalls no posts of anyone getting any FCCs or refund of prepaid items.  If I missed it, it was due to the number being very low.

When is this going to happen??

• Like 1

I was just poking around the NCL board, and people are starting to get their FCC.  I think MSC is really dropping the ball here.  I am beginning to second guess asking for a credit instead of a refund.  I hope someone from MSC is monitoring this site.

Edited by KennyFla

3 hours ago, KennyFla said:

I was just poking around the NCL board, and people are starting to get their FCC.  I think MSC is really dropping the ball here.  I am beginning to second guess asking for a credit instead of a refund.  I hope someone from MSC is monitoring this site.

Exactly our thoughts.  NCL is the chepo of cheapos and some over there getting refunds.  What does that make MSC?

We too opted for FCC and thinking wrong decision.

We had lot of money on cancelled YC trip.

We have close to $50k on b2b YC trip next year with extended family.  Every day they can't even refund prepaid items is more chance trip will get pulled.

Submitted question on MSC site yesterday, if they choose to ignore, not good.  MSC rapidly turning advocates into critics.

Having had our cruise next week cancelled we heard yesterday that our Princess Alaska cruise is also cancelled, today Princess posted that they will begin their refund and FCC process, Take note MSC.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2020 at 5:22 PM, mattcruise615 said:

Hi Tobi, 

Thanks for your reply 🙂

Yes, I'm from Germany! 

Best regards,

Matt

Hi, 

Similar problem. I live in the UK, booked with Vacations at Sea, MSC DE are only offering a voucher. I want to bang my head against the wall.

danielbanks82  at   yahoo.co.uk

So excuse the pun but us UK cruises all seem to be in the same boat here over getting refunds etc from MSC.

Here is the link to their FCC/refund policy https://www.msccruises.co.uk/coronavirus/compensation

So if we sit tight then we should get a refund (if we want one) between end of July and end of September which is unacceptable it should be really something like 60 days from now but it is what it is - does anyone feel like this refund option is now guaranteed because I spoke to 2 different people today from my travel agents who didn't even know that MSC UK were offering refunds as they had been trying to get them for their customers. As far as they were concerned MSC are not giving refunds and they didn't know if they would - how can this be the case when the new advice by MSC has been on their site for over a week! You would think one of the biggest TAs out there would know the latest information by MSC but obviously not.

I have looked for alternative cruises with MSC but have not found anything yet that can match the deal I found with another line for next year so wanted the refund via my TA but was going to book the new cruise through them and use the refund to pay for it.

My contract is with the TA and they surely should just offer me a refund or a credit note so I can re book another cruise with the TA? How and when they get the refund from MSC is up to them surely? I also got the TA to book flights as well to go with the cruise - MSC were not offering flights at the time with the cruise so my TA booked Ryan air flights for me. So I thought I could at least use the flight part of the package to pay towards a new cruise but because it's a package I was told no I cannot get even a part refund now even though TA told me there was no problem getting a refund with Ryan air eventually. 

So now I am thinking about just booking my new cruise as a complete separate booking and then just getting a full refund for the whole package from my TA whenever that takes place.

Does anyone know where we stand when booking a package with TA? I would ask for a full refund but in practice that won't happen anytime soon; as discussed transferring to a different cruise company with the same TA also seems not to be an option leaving me with the stark choice of waiting for the TA get their official confirmation about refunds from MSC UK which we all know is already on their site (whether they change the goal posts again is another matter). If I wait I will almost certainly lose out on the good deal that I have found with another cruise line and if I book now I have to fork out even more money banking on a refund from MSC and do you think I can trust them to actually payout and pay out by the end of September?

So hoping someone has some advice or is in the same boat as me? All I can think of is contacting the insurance or credit card company to see what they say but I have feeling I won't get anywhere based on what others on here have previously said.

I wish I had booked everything separately (but we are always told package holidays are better protected) as I could of at least got the refund from Ryan air by now! Also some advice I would give to UK cruisers now is to book in the future on USA sites as TAs and cruise lines treat Americans so much better. 

If you go to the MSC USA site and you are from the UK you can login to your account and get the link to the form for the refund - as I booked via a TA I won't even entertain that sneaky idea in case it just delays things but if you booked direct with MSC and are from Europe then it might be worth a go if you cannot wait too long for your refund? Who knows?

Thanks in advance everyone:)

• Like 1