MSC refund policy coronavirus

niko40

On 4/7/2020 at 8:15 AM, Fly2where said:

Hi, I spoke with MSC agent, she advised me cancelled the prepaid item first before requesting for refund or FCC, which we did ourselves online, and we received the prepaid item refund within 24 hours (2 separate bookings). 

I guess they would only process your prepaid item along with your booking, which takes significantly longer. We requested FCC couple weeks back, only received system generated email confirm as such, nothing else. At that time, was told will get the credit 14 days prior to our sailing. 

Thanks.

I looked at FAQ and for prepaid items it says in two places credit will be to original form of payment.  I haven't seen option on US site to cancel online but maybe I missed it.  Glad you were able to.

They further say if you want refund up to 60 days but they hope sooner. They also say if FCC that will be in 14 days which many of us have seen come and gone.  Maybe they should just say 'we have no idea'.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 3:21 PM, DCGuy64 said:

I'm sorry you haven't seen your refund yet. I can't tell from your post, but what specifically did MSC say in regards to how long your refund would take? I felt so bad for you guys on the Meraviglia when I saw this on the news about being denied port entry (unfairly, based on what I read-seems it was more fear-based than fact). My wife and I sailed that ship last December and loved it. I hope you get your money soon!

We were told full refund in 30 days. I understand that there might be a slight delay, what I don't understand is other people already getting refunds that didn't even board their ship. Theses people already have their money back, and didn't even incur any travel expenses.  We were the first affected, so why were we not the first refunded? As I said before, fool me once, shame on you....fool me twice, shame on me. NEVER AGAIN.

On 4/3/2020 at 8:43 PM, sfaaa said:

Current refund time for mass market cruise lines are 60-90 days. Not trying to make excuses for MSC but that's the situation everyone is facing right now.

We were told before we ever left the ship about 6743 times we would be fully refunded within 30 days. I'm not retying what I've already typed 100 times, but there is Z E R O reason for anyone to have been refunded before us. We were the very first cruise affected, yet people who didn't even board their ship have already been fully refunded? I call BS.

1 hour ago, chrisgalwv said:

We were told before we ever left the ship about 6743 times we would be fully refunded within 30 days. I'm not retying what I've already typed 100 times, but there is Z E R O reason for anyone to have been refunded before us. We were the very first cruise affected, yet people who didn't even board their ship have already been fully refunded? I call BS.

It may be that the aphorism Hanlon's Razor may come into play here. Look it up when you have time. It reminds me of times I've seen other people get served their food ahead of me in a restaurant even though we were seated earlier. I do hope you get your money soon and it seems unfair, however I suspect MSC is just overwhelmed with refund requests and yours may have been (unintentionally) delayed. We always use a travel agent for our bookings and if you did, too, I would call him/her so you don't have to deal with the cruise company on your own. Better somebody else has to do the legwork than you.

2 hours ago, chrisgalwv said:

Not defending as I'm waiting past what they told us for prepaid items.

I can say on another line and from reading various boards here, the lines must be using random method because it never seems to make sense.  On one NCL sailing we had to wait 16 weeks VS other people on our roll call a couple weeks and it wasn't due to us submitting late.

Later today our website will be updated to reflect our new position surrounding FCC and refunds. As you are aware last week we announced that all guests on cancelled cruises from March 10th to May 29th will be offered 125% Future Cruise Credit. The Future Cruise Credit must be redeemed by 31st July 2020 and is valid for all sailings taking place on or before 31st December 2021.
We are now furthering our support for the customer and all guests who do not want to take advantage of the 125% FCC will be entitled to a refund equal to the original amount of the cruise fare paid. You can apply for this refund from 31st July 2020, when we will begin processing refund requests. Please note that due to the volume of requests these refunds may take up to 60 days to process.
Please also note that all MSC Cruises employees will be on leave this weekend in order for them to have some much needed rest and as a result the contact centre will be closed from 6pm this evening and will re-open at 9.30am on Tuesday 14th April.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidari said:

Later today our website will be updated to reflect our new position surrounding FCC and refunds. As you are aware last week we announced that all guests on cancelled cruises from March 10th to May 29th will be offered 125% Future Cruise Credit. The Future Cruise Credit must be redeemed by 31st July 2020 and is valid for all sailings taking place on or before 31st December 2021.
We are now furthering our support for the customer and all guests who do not want to take advantage of the 125% FCC will be entitled to a refund equal to the original amount of the cruise fare paid. You can apply for this refund from 31st July 2020, when we will begin processing refund requests. Please note that due to the volume of requests these refunds may take up to 60 days to process.
Please also note that all MSC Cruises employees will be on leave this weekend in order for them to have some much needed rest and as a result the contact centre will be closed from 6pm this evening and will re-open at 9.30am on Tuesday 14th April.

Good news. Once again thank you Sidari (and Seanocelt) for being on the ball.

Happy Easter everyone!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidari said:

yes is  that what i was  sent, wasnt sure about posting until Tues but its being shared widely, good luck all

Edited by Seanocelt

It’s on the MSC UK website now-

For the cruises we are forced to cancel from March 10th to May 29th we will offer our guests 125% Future Cruise Credit. 

The Future Cruise Credit must be redeemed by 31st July 2020 and is valid for all sailings taking place on or before 31st December 2021. If the Future Cruise Credit is not used by 31st July 2020, guests are entitled to a refund equal to the original amount of the cruise fare paid. Please note refunds will be processed from the 31st July 2020 at the earliest. 

All affected guests will receive a communication directly from MSC Cruises or through their Travel Agent giving further details regarding their Future Cruise Credit and how to redeem it imminently. For further queries please contact operationsuk@msccruises.co.uk.

This announcement doesn’t help those who are supposed to be cruising in July onwards.  We are suppose to cruise the Med  on 9th July 2020.  I’m still trying to decide whether to lose the deposit or pay the balance and hope I get a refund when the cruise is cancelled.   It’s the first and last time I’ll book through a travel agent as I would have had longer to decide if I’d booked direct.  When I paid the deposit it was on the condition that it was protected by ABTA and should anything go wrong I would get a refund within 14 days.  They shouldn’t be able to change this retrospectively.  If I pay the balance it should be kept in a holding account and returned if the cruise doesn’t operate.

• Like 1

I'm happy that MSC UK seem to be moving in the right direction but I'm still concerned about accepting a FCC. ABTA say that they will only recognise a RCN (Refund Credit Note) that is issued for the exact amount that was paid for the cruise. Therefore, should MSC go bust before any cash refund is issued in September+ then ABTA will not refund those holding a FCC, only those with a RCN.

Here is the wording that ABTA are proposing to the UK Government:

"

3.  If you are not able to amend your holiday to another date, your travel provider may offer you a Refund Credit Note instead of an immediate cash refund. This Refund Credit Note can be used to rearrange a holiday at a later date and, in the meantime, it is protected by ABTA/ ATOL if your original booking had that protection, so you would be reimbursed if the travel company failed financially.

Further details on this option are below:

• The Refund Credit Note will have an expiry date, which is the date to which your money is protected, and is based on your travel company’s financial protection arrangements. You are entitled to re-book or have a cash refund by then (if your original booking was for a package holiday).

• The value of the Refund Credit Note must be equal in value to the monies you have actually paid for the protected travel arrangements. 

• The Refund Credit Note must not include any other amount offered as a rebooking incentive or other offer. 

• Any such offers must be documented separately and are not covered by any scheme of financial protection.

• The Refund Credit Note must expressly identify the original booking with booking details and reference.

• You should retain all previous booking documentation including booking confirmations, ATOL Certificates where appropriate and proofs of payment.

"

On 4/7/2020 at 12:41 PM, phissy said:

Could you please tell me how you cancelled your prepaid item online??  I have gone into our booking and cannot see how to cancel our prepaid laundry package.  Thanks

Hi,

It's under price detail -- > price break down, I just click on the item and then cancel.

Not sure if this make a difference. I did create online account to see my trip instead of just log in the trip using booking # and last name. You can see a lot more info if you create an online account vs just log in using booking #. 

Hope it helps. 

On 4/8/2020 at 9:30 AM, dexddd said:

Thanks.

I looked at FAQ and for prepaid items it says in two places credit will be to original form of payment.  I haven't seen option on US site to cancel online but maybe I missed it.  Glad you were able to.

They further say if you want refund up to 60 days but they hope sooner. They also say if FCC that will be in 14 days which many of us have seen come and gone.  Maybe they should just say 'we have no idea'.

When I spoke to the agent, I told her the same thing, questioned her should the prepaid item refunded. The agent seems very experience, she told me, yes, that's correct, but given MSC back log of service, she highly suggested cancel all the prepaid items before cancel the cruise. Even before I hang up the phone, she reminded one more time, "don't wait until last min to cancel the prepaid items, some people forget."

Oh, btw, during our discussion, we discussed if the price on new booking is lower, I asked if I could add another cabin, she told me yes, as long as I am traveling. This info might be helpful to someone not sure how to use extra 25% credit. 

Edited by Fly2where

For those interested in reading FAQ for US booking, this is for "Non Caribbean" sailing between Mar 14 to May 29. 

I was told the FCC will be given 14 days prior to original departure date, now changed to "please allow up to 14 days after original departure date."  My 14 days is coming up soon, will see what happen before I ring them again. 

FAQS
What ships and sail dates are canceled?

MSC Cruises has halted operations for all sailings fleetwide March 14 through May 29, 2020.

For sailings that are canceled March 14 through May 29, what actions do I take if my client is outside of final payment?

All sailings are within final payment.

For sailings that are canceled March 14 through May 29, what actions do I take if my client is not paid in full?

Only fully paid bookings through MSC Cruises USA are eligible for the 125% Future Cruise Credit. Advise your client that their upcoming MSC Cruises vacation has been canceled, and that your client will be refunded the amount paid on the booking automatically. The refund will be processed within 60 days from departure date.

For sailings that are canceled March 14 through May 29, what actions do I take if my client is paid in full?

Advise your client that their upcoming MSC Cruises vacation has been canceled and that they are eligible to select a 125% Future Cruise Credit that can be used on any sailing departing on or before December 31, 2021, or receive a full refund equal to the original amount paid for their cruise. The refund will be processed within 60 days from departure date.

How do I take advantage of this flexibility for my clients on these canceled sailings booked through MSC Cruises USA if paid in full?

Refer to the applicable orange button located at the top of this page.

If my client prefers a refund, when will it be received?

Due to high volumes, please allow up to 60 days from the departure date to process the refund; however, it is our intention to issue refunds as soon as possible.

What if my client wants to re-book their cruise for another date?

The Future Cruise Credit provided via Cruise Assurance allows you to sail on any ship departing on or before December 31, 2021.

What if my client doesn’t know when they will reschedule their next cruise?

Not a problem. The 125% Future Cruise Credit allows guests to sail on any vessel between now and December 31, 2021. Your client can determine their next cruise date when they are ready.

How long will my clients have to redeem their Future Cruise Credit?

The Future Cruise Credit can be applied to any sailing departing on or before December 31, 2021. Future Cruise Credits are non-transferable.

If the cruise fare on the new booking exceeds the Future Cruise Credit’s value, your client will be responsible for the difference. Alternatively, if the new cruise fare is lower than the Future Cruise Credit’s value, a new Future Cruise Credit will be issued for the balance.

How will I be notified that the Future Cruise Credit is issued?

Once you select the Future Cruise Credit option, you will receive an email confirmation with a reference number for the Future Cruise Credit. We will issue the Future Cruise Credit as quickly as possible, but due to the high volume of inquiries, please allow up to 14 days after the original departure date to process the Future Cruise Credit. It will be delivered to the email address indicated in the online form.

What if my client wants to book again but I haven’t received the Future Cruise Credit?

Not a problem; please proceed with the booking. An initial deposit, outside the Future Cruise Credit, is required to hold a booking. The Future Cruise Credit will be applied later in the booking process and the initial deposit will be returned if the new cruise value is less than the Future Cruise Credit.

If my client opts for the Future Cruise Credit, is anything refunded?

Payments for government taxes and fees and items purchased pre-cruise separate from the cruise fare, such as shore excursions or spa packages, will be refunded back to the original form of payment used to make the purchase. Please allow up to 60 days from departure date for processing.

What if I incur extra out-of-pocket expenses, such as flight change fees, as a result of these cancellations?

For independent air changes, please consult your airline. Most airlines are also waiving change and cancellation fees.

How will my clients be credited for any pre-cruise purchases, such as spa packages and shore excursions?

All pre-cruise purchases will be refunded to the original form of payment whether selecting the Future Cruise Credit or a refund.

Can my clients choose to carry promotional amenities or value adds from their canceled reservation to their future booking?

All promotional offers, amenities, and value adds are removed and will not carry over to future reservations. Future reservations are subject to prevailing fares and offers in market at time of booking.

Do the same parameters apply to both Group and Individual reservations that fall within the canceled Caribbean sailings?

All Individual and Group bookings paid in full apply and have the flexibility to request a Future Cruise Credit or a refund.

Edited by Fly2where

On 4/9/2020 at 3:06 PM, Cruisergal1208 said:

Does this also apply to US bookings?

US has different laws. MSC must offer us cash refund (not FCC). However; that doesn't guarantee cash refunds will happen any quicker. All the cruise lines are scrambling to hold cash as long as possible. I applied for refund on 3/21. Still nothing. I'm giving them 60 days before I attempt a phone call.

Fly2where, I suspect you heard 14 days prior to sail date from a mis-informed phone or travel agent.  MSC US has always stated any FCC under their "Assurance" plan will be issued 14 days after original sail date.  There have been numerous discusions here on Cruise Critic regarding this.  Most people feel it is done that way to prevent people from cancelling then applying the FCC to the same cruise at a lower price or with the extra bonus FCC percentage.  MSC US has changed the FAQ refund wording to 60 days from departure date.

Edited by Até

55 minutes ago, Até said:

Fly2where, I suspect you heard 14 days prior to sail date from a mis-informed phone or travel agent.  MSC US has always stated any FCC under their "Assurance" plan will be issued 14 days after original sail date.  There have been numerous discusions here on Cruise Critic regarding this.  Most people feel it is done that way to prevent people from cancelling then applying the FCC to the same cruise at a lower price or with the extra bonus FCC percentage.  MSC US has changed the FAQ refund wording to 60 days from departure date.

I am sure you are right and make total sense! I was told by US phone agent from Miami, I even confirm with her saying so I should have it by Mar 21 then? (my sail date was Apr 5) she said yes. Anyway, it doesn't bother me much, as long as I will get it. 

Update: I just did some research, here is the original wording: it did say 14 days prior to the original cruise departure date.

Why not just cancel on my own and call in for the Future Cruise Credit? 
xxx....Do not cancel the booking. Log onto MSC Book and click on the MSC Cruise Assurance link found under BOOKING to register your applicable bookings.  Our team will then email you with the Future Cruise Credit for your applicable bookings 14 days prior to the original cruise departure date.

Edited by Fly2where

27 minutes ago, Fly2where said:

I am sure you are right and make total sense! I was told by US phone agent from Miami, I even confirm with her saying so I should have it by Mar 21 then? (my sail date was Apr 5) she said yes. Anyway, it doesn't bother me much, as long as I will get it. 

Update: I just did some research, here is the original wording: it did say 14 days prior to the original cruise departure date.

Why not just cancel on my own and call in for the Future Cruise Credit? 
xxx....Do not cancel the booking. Log onto MSC Book and click on the MSC Cruise Assurance link found under BOOKING to register your applicable bookings.  Our team will then email you with the Future Cruise Credit for your applicable bookings 14 days prior to the original cruise departure date.

fyi:

Rescheduling your clients for the MSC Cruise Assurance program is easy.
1) DO NOT cancel the original booking (doing so will activate our normal cancellation policy)
2) CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT BOOKING ONLINE or call us at 1-866-337-4309.
3) We will then issue a Future Cruise Credit 14 days prior to the original sailing date and email to agent for your client’s use.