New to Royal Caribbean and need advice?

I am hoping that some of you RC cruisers can answer some questions for me?

I have only ever had a couple of cruises on P&O and found everything really simple. i.e. freedom dining and getting to all the shows etc.

I am now considering booking on the Anthem of the Seas in september, but I have been reading a few reviews and people have mentioned about booking for shows and also that they have fixed dining times.

My initial questions are: do you have to always book for every show and is it only fixed dining times or can you do similar to P&O and have freedom dining?

thank you in advance.

Athem has 2 formal seatings for dinner plus my time dining which means you can go anytime you want

Booking shows is only for the 3 'large' shows.  Some say it is required, others say there are always seats.  I've been on Anthem twice and there was always seats at the shows I went to.  Prebooking the shows however lets you schedule it into your cruise, shore plans, eating plans....etc...and ensure you have a seat at the specific showtime you want to go to.

Edited by dodgestang

You can even choose anytime dining and reserve a time.

Yes you need to book shows. That being said I've waited at the door and been able to go in after those with reservations..always some no shows. I saw a couple of shows twice, I really like shows.

1 hour ago, dodgestang said:

Athem has 2 formal seatings for dinner plus my time dining which means you can go anytime you want

Booking shows is only for the 3 'large' shows.  Some say it is required, others say there are always seats.  I've been on Anthem twice and there was always seats at the shows I went to.  Prebooking the shows however lets you schedule it into your cruise, shore plans, eating plans....etc...and ensure you have a seat at the specific showtime you want to go to.

Thank you very much for your reply. It helps knowing that there are choices, rather than having to be restricted to specific times. I'm sure I will be on here picking peoples brains again with lots of questions if we go ahead with a booking.

59 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

You can even choose anytime dining and reserve a time.

Yes you need to book shows. That being said I've waited at the door and been able to go in after those with reservations..always some no shows. I saw a couple of shows twice, I really like shows.

Thank you for your reply. Not sure I would want to risk missing out on a good show, so I would probably book anyway. I assume that you can book once you are on board, or is this something you need to do when you are booking the cruise? Just not sure how I would go about this if I didn't know what the shows were or when they were on. Sorry if this sounds like a stupid reply, but as I have never used RC before, I don't know what their system is. On P&O you would receive an Horizon leaflet each evening with a list of everything that is going on the next day, and this would include times of shows etc.

2 minutes ago, sidekick180 said:

Thank you for your reply. Not sure I would want to risk missing out on a good show, so I would probably book anyway. I assume that you can book once you are on board, or is this something you need to do when you are booking the cruise? Just not sure how I would go about this if I didn't know what the shows were or when they were on. Sorry if this sounds like a stupid reply, but as I have never used RC before, I don't know what their system is. On P&O you would receive an Horizon leaflet each evening with a list of everything that is going on the next day, and this would include times of shows etc.

You can book some things before. I booked the chocolate character breakfast though idk if they still do it.

Shows open at some pt before you leave. The first time on oasis I hadnt booked any shows and had to go to a booth, well 3 booths open, for booking shows. We got all we wanted.

It is confusing, but dont worry, you'll get shows, worst case not at the time you wanted.

The comedy show was hardest to get into because it was a small room.

I dont remember what else I booked ahead of time other than the character breakfast. It fills up. 

Some cruise only rcl and more often. I used to cruise more often, but got bored, but looking forward to next month.

I'd take a look at the offered shows, reserve the ones you REALLY want to see, and if you're unsure about others, you can always get in line, and see if there's space.

Sounds like you'd prefer My Time Dining, so you can set your dinner around your booked shows....so if you haven't done so, request that.

You will get a "cruise compass"...the daily "menu" of events....so you can plan your days.

Thank you everyone for your input. I will do a bit more research on the ship and about the booking we want. then all I need to do is wait and see if the other half can get the time off work. I'm self employed snd can pick and choose my time off. We are currently looking at the Jane McDonald cruise 20th September. Looks like it's booking up quite heavily though.

Also the buffet is nice for dinner.

They serve alcohol and you can view the ocean. It is also quieter.

Otherwise sign up for my time and alternate with buffet which grills meat at night.

With all the activities and shows and just viewing the ocean, do not overlook the buffet.

It is very easy to get into most shows later in the week and also the second one if the night.

10 hours ago, sidekick180 said:

On P&O you would receive an Horizon leaflet each evening with a list of everything that is going on the next day, and this would include times of shows etc.

On Royal the leaflet is called the Cruise Compass and if you don't mind self service, eat in the Windjammer (buffet on deck 14)

Edited by Bloodgem
typo

8 hours ago, Bloodgem said:

On Royal the leaflet is called the Cruise Compass and if you don't mind self service, eat in the Windjammer (buffet on deck 14)

8 hours ago, Bloodgem said:

Thanks Bloodgem. We are more than happy eating in a buffet, we used the buffet many times on our previous two cruises with P&O. The food was fine. Nothing really to complain about, although many people have complained in the past. We also occasionally like to use the MDR, mainly for a bit of a treat. Sounds like we will definitely have to book My Time Dining if we go ahead with the cruise.

One thing I haven't been able to find out about, and hopefully you or someone else here might be able to answer this. On P&O cruises, we had a certain amount of On board Credit added to our cruise cards. I haven't seen anything mentioned about 'On Board Credit' with Royal Caribbean. Is this not something they do?

If you have 100 shares of rcl stock you get obc. $100 for a 7 day. Usually not combinable with obc offered to book. Another site offered $50 to book, and I passed it up and booked direct and took the higher $100. Royal doesnt combine obc as much as it used to. 

I think sometimes if the obc is from a ta you can combine, but others will know more. 

I just took the obc from stockholder, but solo cruise so it's good.

Just for something you didn't ask, your loyalty is transferable to celebrity, unlike the lines carnival owns. I was only platinum or emerald, who knows, but took celebrity to hawaii and got me their highest loyalty tier like some free wifi etc. 

Most consider the loyalty perks better on rcl.

Platinum and above there is a dining room off the MDR where you can get a couple speciality coffees and good service.

The diamond lounge, free mixed drinks and hot appetizers, at platinum free wine. I enjoy the wine and view on many ships, downside it's only from one lounge not all over the ship.

Etc. 

Edited by firefly333

Royal Caribbean often have booking offers giving onboard credit but if you are talking about the Jane McDonald cruise, that is a charter and quite different to normal cruises. You can't book it directly through RCL. I don't know that you even get the regular shows and onboard activities. It will all be managed by the charter company.

Just looked at the Floating Festivals site and it says shows do not need to be booked, they will be allocated according to dining times.

Edited by kernow
additional text

While we book our My Time dining in advance for the whole cruise you don't have to.  If you only want to book one night it is easy to do (and in fact the web site forces you to do one night at a time).  And the RCI app also makes it easy to book stuff or change a reservation onboard.

Would highly recommend booking iFly as far in advance as possible - those do fill quickly.  And Spectra is in the 270 theater where there are some sightline issues - either get in when they open with a reservation or go up to the balcony since folks tend to forget about these seats.  Doors open about 45 minutes before shows so if you want your pick of seats show up about then.

9 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Just for something you didn't ask, your loyalty is transferable to celebrity, unlike the lines carnival owns. I was only platinum or emerald, who knows, but took celebrity to hawaii and got me their highest loyalty tier like some free wifi etc. 

Most consider the loyalty perks better on rcl.

Platinum and above there is a dining room off the MDR where you can get a couple speciality coffees and good service.

The diamond lounge, free mixed drinks and hot appetizers, at platinum free wine. I enjoy the wine and view on many ships, downside it's only from one lounge not all over the ship.

Etc. 

If you qualify for Diamond you also get three extra drinks added to your sea pass every night and are good anywhere on the ship during happy hour.