Maybe X can lead in becoming Different!!

OuiOnboard

With all the press about the spread of the virus,especially with regard to some cruise ships, many people have been influenced to think of "cruise ship as floating petri dish". Perhaps this would be a great time for X to distinguish itself by leading a new era in cruising wherein cruiselines  strongly insist on adherence to a higher level of passenger personal hygiene practices. Sometimes necessity is the mother of invention.

I have no issue with the principle - but how would you see this enforced?  A crew member to make sure you wash your hands?  Onboard penalties if you sneeze without saying "excuse me..."?

The cruise industry does its best to educate passengers - yet you still see folk brush past the poor crewman with the hand sanitizer.  Or take the tongs from one dish to put in another.  Or leave the toilet without washing.

Folk are folk.  Some have different hygine standards from others.  We need to keep ourselves safe and behave responsibly to protect others as far as possible - but we also have to accept that ultimately folk are folk.  No organisation or commercial company can dictate a hygine protocol.  Education is the best we can do - and it will always miss someone!

• Like 4

I agree with Cool Cruiser not a bad idea, I just don't see how they could increase practics/rules and enforce them.

Remember many people do not have the best hygiene at home and to expect them to be "close to perfect" when relaxing on vacation is a tall task.

Just now, helen haywood said:

Holland and Oceania have servers in the Buffet.  I think at the very least right now would be a good time for all cruise lines to do so.

Certainly a quick to implement , common sense call 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

How would you enforce people washing their hands in the restroom?

Have the room attendants in the toilets offering towels to all 'after you have washed your hands', politely. Then those who haven't, may go back and wash without feeling embarrassed.

I noted on my last Celebrity cruise that there were fewer attendants in the women's

toilets. increasing their presence could help.

Of course this wouldn't force hand washing, but it would highly encourage it.

Cheers, heather 🥂

• Like 2

I see no way of enforcing this. Some people are lazy and nasty. They only think of themselves. I have watched countless times in airports and cruise ships where people exit from a stall or urinal and simply walk out without washing their hands. Again those people are selfish, nasty and lazy. Maybe the cruise lines should now start serving everyone in the buffets. No more self serve. Works for me. 

5 hours ago, GastroGnome said:

I have no issue with the principle - but how would you see this enforced?  A crew member to make sure you wash your hands?  Onboard penalties if you sneeze without saying "excuse me..."?

The cruise industry does its best to educate passengers - yet you still see folk brush past the poor crewman with the hand sanitizer.  Or take the tongs from one dish to put in another.  Or leave the toilet without washing.

Folk are folk.  Some have different hygine standards from others.  We need to keep ourselves safe and behave responsibly to protect others as far as possible - but we also have to accept that ultimately folk are folk.  No organisation or commercial company can dictate a hygine protocol.  Education is the best we can do - and it will always miss someone!

I agree. The OP has a good idea. The problem is getting people to follow the guidelines. Sort of like washing hands - I wash all the time, but my DW probably could use a bit more washing.  Everyone is different with their standards.

As to illness - many diseases do nor have symptoms, while being contagious. No idea how you solve that one because all it takes is one person to spread to many.

Yeah, just love to watch a lot of young staff members from all over the world telling a bunch of 70+yr old Geezers who distrust anyone who doesn’t look like them that they need to pick up better hygiene!! That will work out just great. We always joke about breaking out the popcorn to enjoy the ‘entertainment’ and this would be a fantastic show. 

“Whaaat do you mean wash my hands young man?!? I’ve never been so insulted! How dare you! I demand to speak to your supervisor....no, the Director....no the Capt....my entire cruise has been ruined by being insulted by some ‘foreigner whippersnapper’! I demand a full refund!!!!!

And you don’t think this will happen with staff ‘insisting’ on better hygiene with people who know better than anyone else, especially anyone under the age of 65.

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Haha 1

Okay. So perhaps "cruise ship as petri dish" is what we have right now. I think with the global emphasis on better hygiene practices right now as a means of keeping people well by slowing the spread of infection is an opportunity for all to appreciate that there are benefits for the selfish ones as well. Who wants to be sick on their expensive cruise vacation? The measures that can reduce the likelihood of passing on your germs to others can also reduce the likelihood of infecting one's selfish self.

It might be that positioning X as the line that appeals to someone looking for a clean, upscale cruise experience could pay benefits for all.

Jus' sayin'.

8 hours ago, middlehaitch said:

Have the room attendants in the toilets offering towels to all 'after you have washed your hands', politely. Then those who haven't, may go back and wash without feeling embarrassed.

I noted on my last Celebrity cruise that there were fewer attendants in the women's

toilets. increasing their presence could help.

Of course this wouldn't force hand washing, but it would highly encourage it.

Cheers, heather 🥂

I really wish they would do this.  I was disgusted to see many women NOT washing their hands on the Summit recently. One woman was quite obviously vomiting. I asked her if she was Ok when she came out of the stall.  She just walked right passed me, didn’t wash her hands and then walked into the buffet area.  I reported her to a staff member who immediately followed her   I was told that they will make her get a medical clearance.  It was shocking!  
if you see something, say something!  I was happy to see that the  crew took this seriously. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Celebrity could add servers in the buffet.

How would you enforce people washing their hands in the restroom?

Perhaps if we all take it on ourselves to remind those about to leave without washing that they should...? Preferably in a loud voice. 

The only downside is that some cubicles also have a sink so they could have washed in there. In which case you apologise and move on. 

18 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Holland and Oceania have servers in the Buffet.  I think at the very least right now would be a good time for all cruise lines to do so.

I think that all cruise lines should adopt this. No better time than now. We usually avoid the buffets as much as possible.