Cruising fear ?? 21 test positive on Grand Princess outside SF

Rowsby

Yes for sure. We care for aging parents and my uncle who is now in memory care. Our worst nightmare would be to either return home and unknowingly infect them or be placed in a delayed quarantine situation. We have put all travel on hold and stepped up protocol at home until this passes. Further, making this decision is now a no brainer for us - last night I received a blanket email from my uncles care facility stating that any visitors that have traveled by air OR internationally regardless of desitnation in the last 14 days would not be allowed to visit. We are in Palm Springs CA, no known cases as of yet but happy to see precautions being made for our large community of elderly and infirmed. CFAR (USAA/CF Travel insured) is my new best friend.         

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Rowsby said:

This is awful....again........

We cancelled our plans for a 14 day Alaska cruise (Maasdam) in May....sadly.....this kind of news confirms our decision...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/06/health/california-coronavirus-friday/index.html

Wise decision. Possibly Canada will ban cruise ships from USA ports.

2 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Wise decision. Possibly Canada will ban cruise ships from USA ports.

And possibly ships won't port in Vancouver because of the jump in COVID 19 cases there.

At this time, there has been no discussion by the Vancouver Port Authority of banning cruise ships.

Edited by CruisingAndDiving
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, CruisingAndDiving said:

And possibly ships won't port in Vancouver because of the jump in COVID 19 cases there.

At this time, there has been no discussion by the Vancouver Port Authority of banning cruise ships.

BC is doing well thank you ...

"Of the province’s 21 cases (which includes eight cases announced on March 5), four patients are fully recovered. One patient is in Vancouver General Hospital’s intensive care while all others are at home and being monitored by public health teams."

https://www.straight.com/life/1369606/covid-19-canada-bc-announces-pandemic-plan-while-more-cases-found-alberta-ontario-and

We've conducted 2k tests to find 21 cases. Too bad that the States is so far behind. Grand Princess won't be the only ship that has to be quarantined.

Vancouver Port Authority is business friendly. It's the senior governments that will make he decision.

• Like 2

Well, Canada’s health official is now recommending you reconsider cruising (aka think twice) with warnings of being quarantined, refused admittance, illness, etc.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/coronavirus-cruise-grand-princess-1.5489320

Certainly gives one pause.

It will be interesting to see what happens at the meeting with the cruise line CEO’s today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

Where is all of the panic about seasonal flu which is killing more people?  Do you stop cruising during flu season?

No, but I've never seen seasonal flu victims being transported in full isolation units by staff in full hazmat suits, either. It's all pretty alarming. Husband and I are right in the "danger, Will Robinson!" age group, and hubby has a medical condition. We have older family members, and family members with medical conditions and we're close to them all (eg: visit them often). Our Norway cruise is in August, which seems like it's a long ways away, but you can better believe we're watching all that's happening like a hawk.

I think it was HappyInVan up the thread who said "too bad the States is so far behind" in testing. Brother, you are definitely preaching to the choir, we had 2 months (well, not really, but we THOUGHT so, until we learned of the Washington State issues) to get ready and what did we do? Nothing. 

Best wishes and good luck to all.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Crusinsusan2 said:

Yes for sure. We care for aging parents and my uncle who is now in memory care. Our worst nightmare would be to either return home and unknowingly infect them...

Thank you for posting this. These are thoughts we had not considered. I really think yours is the most compelling argument for us. We have elderly moms and my husband's business is very much dominated by folks near or at retirement age. Noone wants to be patient 0 in their area. It would devastate us to know we had unknowingly contracted the illness and as healthy midlife folks had little to no symptoms yet passed it on to others far more vulnerable. So not worth a few days of vacation on a cruise ship. Again, thank you for typing this out.

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Where is all of the panic about seasonal flu which is killing more people?  Do you stop cruising during flu season?

No. But AFAIK, cruise ships don't get quarantined or banned from ports during flu season if someone gets sick on board. Even if you gave me a 100% guarantee that I would not get sick, I still wouldn't cruise any time in the next month due to risks from factors outside my control.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

This has been thoughtfully and thoroughly discussed here on CC and just about everywhere else at this point. 

There are a lot of extremely valid reasons why COVID-19 spread is more concerning than endemic flu. I suggest you look up and read some of them.

Let's retire this "chestnut", shall we?

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

This has been thoughtfully and thoroughly discussed here on CC and just about everywhere else at this point. 

There are a lot of extremely valid reasons why COVID-19 spread is more concerning than endemic flu. I suggest you look up and read some of them.

Let's retire this "chestnut", shall we?

Why retire it as long as the media keeps whipping up the frenzy in their search for ratings, clicks, or views.  

Where is the voice of reason to tell the general public that the risk of acquiring the coronavirus is low?  That when somebody with the virus sneezes the droplets are heavier than the seasonal flu and thus don't spread as far? That the risk to children is lower than seasonal flu?  That the vast majority of those who do get infected with it recover? That the effects are not as strong as the seasonal flu - where patients also have muscle aches and describe their overall feelings like they have been hit by a bus. 

Keep Calm and Cruise On.

IMG_30631.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fatcat04 said:

Thank you for posting this. These are thoughts we had not considered. I really think yours is the most compelling argument for us. We have elderly moms and my husband's business is very much dominated by folks near or at retirement age. Noone wants to be patient 0 in their area. It would devastate us to know we had unknowingly contracted the illness and as healthy midlife folks had little to no symptoms yet passed it on to others far more vulnerable. So not worth a few days of vacation on a cruise ship. Again, thank you for typing this out.

To be honest when we were initially thinking of cancelling it was all about "us". What if we get sick? What if we are quarentined and are delayed getting home? What would our risk and inconvience be? That evolved into the less selfish thoughts about the potential risk for our aging family's and community. You are so right. No one wants to be patient 0 in their area. Vacations can always be rebooked once the dust settles on this.          

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Well, this sounds good in theory, it’s the panic reaction which is causing the problems.  DH and I are in good health and not concerned as long as we take the proper precautions but..

It’s the panic demic that seems to be evolving.

If ports don’t let ships in or demand that they be quarantined for 14 days before they can enter, it’s a pretty scary proposition.  It means you don’t get anywhere and any land tours planned after a cruise are out the window 😞 

If people and Governments weren’t reacting so severely, it wouldn’t be a concern.

But, they are.  And that makes decisions tricky.  Other family, pets, etc. Are also affected if you are delayed.  

• Like 4

16 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Of course not. We get a flu vaccination every fall. There is no vaccination for covid19 yet. That's the big difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is on the news.....:(

FT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — The Regal Princess cruise ship is not being allowed to dock in South Florida after passengers aboard were told two crew members are being tested for COVID-19 coronavirus.

It's believed those crew previously were on board the Grand Princess ship, which for days has been forbidden to dock in San Francisco after at least 20 positive coronavirus cases were reported. At least one person among those cases died.

7 hours ago, Rowsby said:

This is on the news.....:(

FT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — The Regal Princess cruise ship is not being allowed to dock in South Florida after passengers aboard were told two crew members are being tested for COVID-19 coronavirus.

It's believed those crew previously were on board the Grand Princess ship, which for days has been forbidden to dock in San Francisco after at least 20 positive coronavirus cases were reported. At least one person among those cases died.

As far as I know, there are 21 cases now on the Golden, most of them--19--crew members. The person who died was on the previous cruise, not this one.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, PSR said:

As far as I know, there are 21 cases now on the Golden, most of them--19--crew members. The person who died was on the previous cruise, not this one.

Yes...you are right....the person who died was on the previous cruise.....on the same ship....with the same crew....and many of the same passengers........

However....I should have put quotation marks around the news article....since it appears to have been confusing.......