NCL Inflates Cruise Prices

hbboers

Hi

I was looking at the NCL Sun cruise 20 Day Panama Canal departing May 1 . The price yesterday was $1070 CDN for an inside guarantee.  Just now the price is $2155 CDN for the same cruise.  

They are raising prices so fast, the website shows two different prices for the same Caribbean cruises.. files attached

So you cancel your cruise and get a FCC but the new cruise cost way more... and don't get me going on Service charge increases.. 20% tips on $3 soda that cost them pennies.. and fuel prices falling in half... 

IMG_4096.PNG

IMG_4097.PNG

IMG_4098.PNG

IMG_4099.PNG

• Like 2

The price inflation is absolutely ridiculous. I was just about to book my April cruise on Encore, given the low price...and they have now almost TRIPLED the price. That’s absurd. The only reason I didn’t yesterday is because I was flying and then had to go straight to work.

However, I am going to wait it out. I know the cruises are not going to fill up, and I suspect they only inflated the prices today since it’s the first day people can cancel. They are smart, obviously, and know that people want to cancel and rebook for cheap...so they said you can’t cancel until 3/10 and jacked up the prices. I suspect those who truly want to cancel due to the virus scare will cancel for good and not rebook. I give it a week and the prices will be back to cheap as people still aren’t going to book out of fear, not to mention the state department’s no cruise recs.

There is no way they expect people to book cruises at these prices with the current situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 6

I think they were using a supply/demand based model through Sunday, but then abandoned it on Monday.

The unfortunate reality....they could price their cruises at $1 and the vast majority of the public would not book a cruise at this time. 

• Like 1

i have been monitoring the Spirit prices UK and US no change on the sailaway rates

They added free flights to Athens from northern US airports.

Also been watching inside cabins on the April TA's

UK prices same.

Escape TA  US price sailaway inside went from $300 to $1322.

the other 4 TAs also went up.

Also keen on the Star out of Southampton

Star 17 May 2020, sailaway inside was $580 now $1763  cheapest F@S 1028 now $2211. taxes on that one are $396 and F@S grats $303

(NO free flights showing for that one)

US changes have not hit the plum yet

Edited by insidecabin

The prices will go down soon.  This is just attempted manipulation by NCL for the upcoming cancellation blitz.  Maybe a huge 'sale' or something else is coming our way.  From what I can tell NCL has raised the rates by about 50% just before the new cancellation policy takes effect.

• Like 5

I was watching the price on our currently-booked May trip on Jade, Rome to Amsterdam.  Last week it was significantly cheaper than what we paid, and I managed to talk NCL into some OBC even though we are long past final payment.  I checked it again last night, and it is now $600 more than what we paid -- and the price we paid includes pre-paid gratuities!

Luckily, if we need to cancel, we already have a 2021 cruise locked in for the Baltic.  I just checked, and it, too, is higher by $700.

1 hour ago, Love my butler said:

The prices will go down soon.  This is just attempted manipulation by NCL for the upcoming cancellation blitz.  Maybe a huge 'sale' or something else is coming our way.  From what I can tell NCL has raised the rates by about 50% just before the new cancellation policy takes effect.

Be assured, they will NOT lose money.   Just a shell game.

My wife is a teacher, and spring break starts next week, so we usually try to do a little getaway.

normally spring break prices are super inflated, so last night we were looking around at various ideas and i found the Sky 5-day listed for $110/pp on the NCL website.  So I immediately booked it, total came to $602 for both of us (inside).  Where else can you get a 5-day ANYTHING for that.

Today i looked and sure enough it the same thing would be almost $1200.

so they did raise them substantially overnight.

I am SO glad i didn't procrastinate this time! I booked it yesterday morning!

But I've never been on NCL before, mainly RCCL, celebrity and carnival.  I've been to all the ports before,  but for $600 thats a cheap getaway.  Leaving next wendnesday!

--Karl

Edited by kramonas
  • Like 3

I see this as an attempt to keep people from cancelling and then using the credit to rebook at fire-sale prices. If I canceled our peak summer cruise I could nearly book 3 at the prices that were tracking last week for the same amount of money which included all perks and an OBC.. 

That question was even posted as a topic on here, “can I cancel my cruise and then use that credit to rebook thesame itinerary? “. 

Edited by ray98
  • Like 7

NCL is out of their mind!  I know why they're doing the inflation, but come on!  Our cruise next month on Encore, mini-suite, is $700 more than what we paid.  And it's only a 4-day to Bermuda!

This in addition to holding onto our money and extras that have already been paid for and not refunding in the event we decide to cancel?  

DH and I were discussing this last night in the event they cancel our cruise.  We were thinking of a Plan B because we would still want to go somewhere, BUT, since we wouldn't get our money back, we would have to pay for a whole other vacation at the last minute.  😡

We live in South Georgia and could drive to Miami for a cruise, but frankly, we have no interest in cruising in this environment.  I am less worried about contracting the coronavirus that being stuck on a cruise ship due to quarantine.  I don't care what the prices are.

This virus is just getting started.

This is a business move. Know that many are considering cancelling with the new program and are trying to limit the number who cancel. It would be very easy for those who are flexible and not in the high risk category to postpone to later in the summer if prices are within the same area. If you are not high risk you may decide to take the cruise you have now rather than rebook something later at double the price. Hoping this keeps the cancellations within a manageable rate.

This isn't the first time for NCL, and it wont' be the last time - you can bet and bank on that, as their calculated & planned move.  

We typically booked last minute and/or well within final payment window, insured and given the uncertain milieu about leisure travel these days, more specific to flying & cruising - not in a hurry to rush onto another cruise ... the take all "offers" and extra OBC & points are just a distraction.  DW do not want to plan another cruise anytime soon - it's going to be a stay'cation and/or land-based road trips, gasoline prices will be coming down more.  

COVID-19 isn't going away, just like SARS and that was ugly in 2002-2003 and the search is still ongoing for a vaccine.  I don't see ships filling up and selling out fast at any prices these days.  Babyboomers got disposable income and time, many millennials don't get 2 to 4+ weeks of time-off for extended, unplanned vacation on these cruises-to-nowhere. 

Don't like these mad pricing scheme - very simply, easy DIY - don't book.  

Edited by mking8288

4 hours ago, ray98 said:

I see this as an attempt to keep people from cancelling and then using the credit to rebook at fire-sale prices. If I canceled our peak summer cruise I could nearly book 3 at the prices that were tracking last week for the same amount of money which included all perks and an OBC.. 

That question was even posted as a topic on here, “can I cancel my cruise and then use that credit to rebook thesame itinerary? “. 

Exactly, once the grace period to cancel 48 hours prior disappears it will get back to normal

Checking and comparing cruise prices for our April cruise US v UK v EU

prices in the US have shot up

prices in the UK have stayed the same or gone down slightly depending on category.

prices in the EU similar to the UK

Edited by nomad098
  • Like 1

Actually NCL did me a favor with their gouging last Friday. As I attempted to upgrade from a family suite to a DOS for the price difference between my original SJ and the new DOS price   (way less the bidding), my TA was unable to make change with NCL. At that exact moment they were putting out the  48 hour offer.  When the TA called back on Saturday to make the change, prices had gone higher and they would not honor the price from the day before.  Good thing, because I came to my sense on Monday morning, realizing we were going to cancel anyway and did not want any more money tied up.  So Norwegian's greediness saved me a couple hundred dollars more being tied up with them. 

• Like 1

Have always said, if you find a cruise, on any cruise line, that you like and the price is right, book it then and there.

Yesterday, I saw and booked the Haven Spa Suite on the Escape sailing 3/28 for ~$3K including all the perks.  Knew that was a great price.  Today, same category is $7,500.

I guess some had the same idea as me....book on the cheap.  I noticed they had maybe ⅓ the cabins in the category today as they did yesterday.

Edited by graphicguy

I have two Haven cabins booked for Encore for August.

The 2 bedroom has gone up $200 (although yesterday they were sold out, this just opened) and my dd's

H5 has remained the same price since February 10.  I was, however, successful in having my TA apply the new

OBC that NCL is giving, which is $600 a cabin for Haven.  My H4 was sold out last night when I emailed

but he was still able to apply it, as well as to my dd's cabin without canceling and rebooking.

Guessing the TAs will start feeling pressure too about sales and cancellations but happy he was able to do this for our cabins.

My MSC YC cruise for February went up $200 yesterday but back down today to price I booked last month.

However, I noticed that there were four cabins that opened up this morning.

LOL....it is pretty funny how emotional some get about this.  This is devastating the cruise industry and they are taking a huge financial hit yet still people complain about them being 'greedy', 'corporate scum' or whatever.  At most they are trying to lessen the hemorrhage.  There is no greed here, this is financially devastating for them due to no fault of their own.

Edited by ray98
  • Like 4

We contemplated it yesterday, but took the dive and booked our 10-day Mediterranean honeymoon out of Athens for September today. It was about $700 more than it was yesterday, but we are well outside of our final payment window, and I expect prices to go down, so we wanted to book now to secure the 5 free at sea deals and then can price adjust from here. I have a strong feeling that this hysteria will calm down by September. We are two healthy individuals, and we are not letting this madness stop us from the honeymoon of our dreams.

• Like 1

When you TRIPLE your cruise rates overnite  that to me is greedy. I agree that the cruiselines will take a hit...so are we. Check your investments..or don't. 

NCL is building 6 new Project Leonardo ships at $5.1 BILLION dollars.  I am not going to cry for them.  We all are affected by this.

I hope this situation improves for all of us.

• Like 4