menu transatlantic

llbz327

thinking of taking a transatlantic from barcelona to ft lauderdale. was wondering if they have local food from spain on their menu? do they have a different menu that a regular 14/15 day cruise in the carribean? i have only cruised the carribean  and this would be my first transatlintic.

thank you

We did our first TA last fall on the Nieuw Statendam....Rome to Port Everglades.  We had an awesome time and enjoyed the Spanish ports, the Azores and the 7 days at sea.

I don't recall anything different about the food selections based on the cruise being a TA or because of Spanish ports.  We ate all of our dinners in the MDR and they rotate the menu with the usual variety from all over the world. Never got boring...never, ever.

Smooth sailing......

We did Barcelona to FLL with a stop in Cadiz. While I don't recall any local dishes in the MDR, the Lido had what they called an Andaluz Dinner ... a "Fiesta of Food ... including a variety of herbed, spiced, and marinated delicacies of both land and sea". The bar staff made "fresh fruit Sangria".

On longer cruises, there is a different menu rotation than one would find on a 7 or 10 day Caribbean cruise.  Certainly, some items will be offered more than once, i.e. Prime Rib.  Regional cuisine selections should--no promise that they will--appear on the menu.  

I’ve done a number of TA’s and usually there are some menus with a “savour the flavour’ of where we are going and more of it when we are in the Med.

Doing the reverse TA as you are doing (from Europe to FLL) there has always been some.  

Now, I’m not talking about an entire menu but a sampling as an appetizer or an entree.

The menus on a TA will have some similarities to the Caribbean (ie prime rib, escargot, etc.) but there will be more variety and different offerings in my experience.  Prime rib will be repeated most likely as it’s popular but most offerings are different and quite nice.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, catl331 said:

We did Barcelona to FLL with a stop in Cadiz. While I don't recall any local dishes in the MDR, the Lido had what they called an Andaluz Dinner ... a "Fiesta of Food ... including a variety of herbed, spiced, and marinated delicacies of both land and sea". The bar staff made "fresh fruit Sangria".

This reminded me of an excellent paella event that they did in the Lido -- with so much wonderful seafood. Really delicious!!

23 minutes ago, llbz327 said:

thanks to all of you. looking forward to the cruise and the wonderful food in the ports. it seems the med is a seafood lovers area.

It certainly is an area for seafood lovers.  There are so many interesting national cuisines in that region:  it can be a food lover's delight.

5 minutes ago, llbz327 said:

any recommendations?

For fresh seafood in port or on board?

In port, find restaurants which have locals (not tourists) if you can.  Experiment - octopus, squid, sardines (delicious in Spain), shrimps, paella, tapas, the list is endless.  OH, and if you like saffron, olives, Manchego cheese, etc be sure to visit the local markets and get some.  Most of them can be brought home.  

On board - usually the prime rib is pretty good.  Usually the escargots are great and usually there are some menus “tipicos” of where you are going.  A lot of the appetizers that they offer can be pretty good and some of the main courses (entrees) were decent - some better than others but it really depends on the ship, the chef, etc.  So, you need to experiment and you’ll know soon enough and remember...if you are disappointed, you can always return it and get something else 😉 

thank you kazu.

whenever i travel overseas i always go to local markets and grocery stores. in barcelona looking forward to spending time at the mercado de la boqueria. it looks fascinating. my husband likes history museums. each of learns something new. we always try to seek out local restaurants, no tourists.looking  to see new places in spain. never been to lisbon so a new experience.

1 hour ago, llbz327 said:

whenever i travel overseas i always go to local markets and grocery stores. in barcelona looking forward to spending time at the mercado de la boqueria. it looks fascinating.

You won't regret going to the Boqueria in Barcelona on Las Ramblas.  Wonderful experience and almost too much to take in.  Enjoy an espresso or glass of wine at a nearby cafe if you can and people watch.  Best ever.

Haven't done a TA but it's on my bucket list.  Please report back to tell us about your food experiences. 

On 3/12/2020 at 3:26 PM, llbz327 said:

thank you kazu.

whenever i travel overseas i always go to local markets and grocery stores. in barcelona looking forward to spending time at the mercado de la boqueria. it looks fascinating. my husband likes history museums. each of learns something new. we always try to seek out local restaurants, no tourists.looking  to see new places in spain. never been to lisbon so a new experience.

We do the same.

If you are in Barcelona - La Boqueria as you said and if you to the end and on the left hand side is one of the best rated Tapas restaurants.  It’s amazing to watch them work in their little space and all the food is fresh from the market.

We’ve eaten there a few times.

Let us know what your ports are and we might be able to help a bit if you like to ‘savour the flavour’.

We’re really depressed about missing our TA this year.  Oops, just remembered I need to cancel a lunch reservation in Malaga 😞 

Food in the Med is lovely.  Usually fresh and delicious.  I hope your cruise can go safely and you can enjoy all the flavour and sense of it as much as you like.

i know i should wait to post this but i am tried of covid 19 and would like to focus on my upcoming trip.

we will be stoping in mallorca, cartagena,  malaga, cadiz, lisbon and maderia. i think they are the usual ports.

thank you