Cruise and kids school

puglady12

4 hours ago, sbd78 said:

I'm in IL. New this year, our school district set up e-learning (online learning) days so that any missed days of school (due to snow days, etc.) would not need to be made up. Our district's superintendent sent out an email yesterday that our district is currently set up for 2 e-learning days, and they are rushing to prepare for 3 additional e-learning days. Anything past that are considered "Act of God" days by Illinois statute and would not need to be made up. I assume each state has their own rules regarding this. Seems crazy that many days could just be forgiven, though! There is still over 2 1/2 months left in the school year!

Thank you for that information.

What happens if someone doesn't have a computer at home? Does everyone get a "schoolcomputer" to use? 

4 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

all of our schools have just closed indefinitely. Not for 2 or 3 weeks. Indefinitely. Until further notice.

There will probably be some online schooling, but a lot of kids in this county are disadvantaged, so I am sure they don't have any computers. Or meals for that matter, because they mostly eat for free at school.

So, I got my kid some books and whether he wants to or not (he doesn't), he'll have to study.

I don't think that online schooling can be an option here.

On 3/10/2020 at 9:22 PM, puglady12 said:

And ironically enough my 18 year old works at the grocery store!! I’m waiting for them to jump on the band wagon with this. 

A lot of places are.i just went ahead and cancelled.ill get back on the seaside if it ever returns to Miami after it makes it's spin in the Mediterranean.

6 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

@sverigecruiser in my community 95% have their own laptops. Those that don’t get a free laptop to use from the school. The issue is going to be the small popular that doesn’t have internet 

That is good. I guess that those without internet must be given that for free too. Is there areas without coverage for technical reasons? 

4 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

What happens if someone doesn't have a computer at home? Does everyone get a "schoolcomputer" to use? 

Schools in the U.S. are all run by local governments and overseen by states, so there is a lot of variation in how things are done. In my particular school district, students don't get a computer through the school until 5th grade and up. It was just announced by the Illinois governor that all schools in our state will now be closed from Tuesday through the end of the month. Some districts are closing Monday as well, our district will be open Monday so teachers can give instructions on e-learning and pass out paper assignments to students who don't have computer access. One of the weeks we have off was our scheduled Spring Break so there will be no e-learning that week. I'm not even sure exactly how this will all work, this is the first time we will be using e-learning.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Thank you for that information. I know that Switzerland is a rich country so can you just assume that every child has access to a computer at home? Sweden is rich too but we are not allowed to assume that. Online material will not be an option here if the schools should be closed, unless we give, or lend, every child a computer to use at home.

Not all kids have access to a computer, but almost all. After the 3 Grade they have do to homeworks with a tablet or computer.
We can made also a program on paper and the have to come to the school on Monday or Tuesday to take at home. At the Moment I will prepare some Homework for my pupils.

7 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Do you know if all teachers have enough knowledge about that so that they can give instructions without first learning it themself?

E-learning was just approved by the state of Illinois this year. Our school district was already set up for 2 e-learning days, which I'd image teachers and school officials assumed would be used for snow days, not a pandemic. 😉 My kids have a folder that is supposed to be kept in their backpack at all times that includes materials and login instructions. I'd imagine teachers had to scramble to get together e-learning for 3 additional days, though. And according to state of IL statute, only 5 days need to be made up and anything beyond that is considered an "act of God." If all goes well and things calm down with this virus, 5 days of school is all they should miss since the other week was already our planned Spring Break. Education varies so much in the U.S. though, so each state will have their own laws regarding this and each local school district will have their own procedures. My family is in a better position than most, I substitute teach for our district so I'm very familiar with the curriculum and my husband works in IT so we have plenty of computers in our house. My oldest is in 8th grade so he has a computer from the school (since our district provides them to 5th grade and up) but my younger two are in 4th and 1st grade so they don't have a computer through the school.

20 hours ago, sbd78 said:

E-learning was just approved by the state of Illinois this year. Our school district was already set up for 2 e-learning days, which I'd image teachers and school officials assumed would be used for snow days, not a pandemic. 😉 My kids have a folder that is supposed to be kept in their backpack at all times that includes materials and login instructions. I'd imagine teachers had to scramble to get together e-learning for 3 additional days, though. And according to state of IL statute, only 5 days need to be made up and anything beyond that is considered an "act of God." If all goes well and things calm down with this virus, 5 days of school is all they should miss since the other week was already our planned Spring Break. Education varies so much in the U.S. though, so each state will have their own laws regarding this and each local school district will have their own procedures. My family is in a better position than most, I substitute teach for our district so I'm very familiar with the curriculum and my husband works in IT so we have plenty of computers in our house. My oldest is in 8th grade so he has a computer from the school (since our district provides them to 5th grade and up) but my younger two are in 4th and 1st grade so they don't have a computer through the school.

Thank you.

As far as I know right now they don't plan to close all schools in Sweden. One reason why they want to keep the schools open is that the parents need to work and if they close the schools someone has to take care of the children at home. 

Yes it can be, that school have to be closes for longer time. In Switzerland all schools are closed until April, 19 but it can be for longer. They says 3-4 months.... we have to prepare for a longer school break materials for all kids.

On 3/15/2020 at 6:25 AM, sverigecruiser said:

Thank you.

As far as I know right now they don't plan to close all schools in Sweden. One reason why they want to keep the schools open is that the parents need to work and if they close the schools someone has to take care of the children at home. 

same here. We all work and kids go to school while we work, but, alas, the schools are now closed indefinitely.