Cruise and kids school

puglady12

I’m on the Seaside right now. We’re having a great trip. In St Thomas today. Then I get a call from kids school that because we went on this cruise they aren’t allowed back for 14 days.  It’s my older daughters senior year so she is not happy. My 11  year old thinks it’s great and I’m secretly hoping to get two weeks off from work lol. 
We live in Massachusetts. Wondering if this is happening to anyone else?? 

Schools are closing all over the place. Let me see if i can link an article listing some. New York and Florida seem to have the most school closings. Many Ivy League Universities are going strictly online starting next week. We don’t have a single case of COV19 yet in Michigan, but Kids traveling internationally for spring break have been told to expect a quarantine upon return in some of our communities. 

Update, we currently have 2 cases in Michigan. Our local parents group is already organizing to make sure that any student who travels during spring break is not allowed back into school until they self-quarantine for 14 days. I'm not even sure that is legal.  Lines are being drawn in the sand because many parents need the schools for day care so they can work. This is out of control already. Did I mention two cases? two.

18 hours ago, puglady12 said:

I’m on the Seaside right now. We’re having a great trip. In St Thomas today. Then I get a call from kids school that because we went on this cruise they aren’t allowed back for 14 days.  It’s my older daughters senior year so she is not happy. My 11  year old thinks it’s great and I’m secretly hoping to get two weeks off from work lol. 
We live in Massachusetts. Wondering if this is happening to anyone else?? 

How do they know you're on a cruise?

My wife and I are both teachers. Our schools have not made any policies like this for those that travel. Although everyone here is talking about two separate parents who took their kids to NYC and Las Vegas this weekend because "travel is cheap with this virus thing going on" 🙄 We're in rural Ohio 4+ hours away from the cases in Cleveland but I'm sure it will be here soon enough. 

• Like 1

The Governor of New York State has declared that all State Universities (SUNY and CUNY) are not resume face-to-face classes for the rest of the semester. All classes will be conducted online and students are not to return to their colleges after spring break. That is 82 colleges in New York State.  

Edited by Talex831

I'm in IL, our district sent out a form today that we needed to fill out if we are traveling over Spring Break which starts week after next. We aren't cruising, our cruise isn't until May 30th after school gets out for the Summer. We do have a Spring Break road trip to Destin, FL planned, though. We rented a privately owned condo and can't cancel so we're going. I hope it doesn't get my kids kicked out of school for a few weeks but if it does, I guess I'll be homeschooling for a few weeks!

7 hours ago, sbd78 said:

I'm in IL, our district sent out a form today that we needed to fill out if we are traveling over Spring Break which starts week after next. We aren't cruising, our cruise isn't until May 30th after school gets out for the Summer. We do have a Spring Break road trip to Destin, FL planned, though. We rented a privately owned condo and can't cancel so we're going. I hope it doesn't get my kids kicked out of school for a few weeks but if it does, I guess I'll be homeschooling for a few weeks!

If you get Smithsonian Channel that is pretty good.

We disembarked from Divina on Tuesday.  It was suggested that we self quarantine for 14 days due to the predominantly European passengers.  We were also told to cancel Doctor appointments that were previously scheduled that fell during the 14 day period.

10 minutes ago, GrandmaOhio said:

We disembarked from Divina on Tuesday.  It was suggested that we self quarantine for 14 days due to the predominantly European passengers.  We were also told to cancel Doctor appointments that were previously scheduled that fell during the 14 day period.

We board Sunday.  With the ban, I wonder if we will be required to do the same.  It does not matter for my household as both DH and I WFH.

14 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Ohio just closed all public schools for 3 weeks. Washington state for six. Rumor has it Michigan is going to close for 3

Do you know if the students will have some kind of "homeschool"? (For example online.)

I'm just curious about it because I'm a teacher. In Sweden the schools will not close, yet. Maybe later, who knows.  

28 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

Do you know if the students will have some kind of "homeschool"? (For example online.)

I'm just curious about it because I'm a teacher. In Sweden the schools will not close, yet. Maybe later, who knows.  

It sounds like kids in MIchigan are going to be given a virtual education component. No one knows what that looks like just yet. Our govenor did say that schools will not be required to make up these days in the summer. The district I live in is off from now until April 13.

I'm in IL. New this year, our school district set up e-learning (online learning) days so that any missed days of school (due to snow days, etc.) would not need to be made up. Our district's superintendent sent out an email yesterday that our district is currently set up for 2 e-learning days, and they are rushing to prepare for 3 additional e-learning days. Anything past that are considered "Act of God" days by Illinois statute and would not need to be made up. I assume each state has their own rules regarding this. Seems crazy that many days could just be forgiven, though! There is still over 2 1/2 months left in the school year!

all of our schools have just closed indefinitely. Not for 2 or 3 weeks. Indefinitely. Until further notice.

There will probably be some online schooling, but a lot of kids in this county are disadvantaged, so I am sure they don't have any computers. Or meals for that matter, because they mostly eat for free at school.

So, I got my kid some books and whether he wants to or not (he doesn't), he'll have to study.

4 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

It sounds like kids in MIchigan are going to be given a virtual education component. No one knows what that looks like just yet. Our govenor did say that schools will not be required to make up these days in the summer. The district I live in is off from now until April 13.

Thank you for that information.

Do the children have a computer from school at home?

Edited by sverigecruiser

3 hours ago, Nikita4 said:

Here in Switzerland all schools are closed until April, 4.

We, teachers,  have do organize material and lessons, online or on paper for all the kids for this 3 weeks.

Thank you for that information. I know that Switzerland is a rich country so can you just assume that every child has access to a computer at home? Sweden is rich too but we are not allowed to assume that. Online material will not be an option here if the schools should be closed, unless we give, or lend, every child a computer to use at home.