Occupancy Rate for Celebrity to Cancel?

Jthans24

We sail on Saturday and there are over 600 open cabins. I spoke to a crew member today asking him at what point Celebrity would cancel and he said that it will sail as scheduled! Here’s to getting a seat by the pool AND martini bar! 🍻

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Purplsmurf said:

We sail on Saturday and there are over 600 open cabins. I spoke to a crew member today asking him at what point Celebrity would cancel and he said that it will sail as scheduled! Here’s to getting a seat by the pool AND martini bar! 🍻

I'm glad to hear this in the event my June trip is not canceled due to other factors (Italy).  Last week it looked to be 91% booked and today 63%.

1 minute ago, katrina915 said:

If they cancel, you get cash and not FCC, right? If so, could cause a huge cash flow issue for the cruiseline.

I don't know anything for sure, but I am just waiting things out.  Flight is booked through Celebrity as well so I will just see how everything shakes out.

We cruise April 11th on Infinity.  There are many more cabin categories available now than ever before.  I haven't looked at every category but I have looked enough times at the categories I'd like to upgrade to, to know the changes are significant.  For example, three weeks ago there was only 1 RS available and now there are three.  The S1 and S2 categories have doubled in their availability and verandas are wide open as well.  Strangely, the prices are holding firm.  We currently have an OV and I've very much like to get into a category that has a balcony.  Preferably a suite so I'll keep looking, watching, waiting...

Right now on our December 2020 sailing for Australia by my rough count we have approximately 525 rooms available(give or take for guarantee rooms, but guarantee rooms are selling at the same price as if you were able to choose, so probably not a big discrepancy)

I think there a few more cabins available than previously.

I know the longer this goes on the worse it is going to get for the industry(ships being quarantined, families not wanting to let their most vulnerable members go, the general misconception that cruises are dirty and it’s easy to get sick on them). 

If people don’t book and some continue to cancel which will probably be the norm, we’re probably going to be looking at sailings with barely 50% capacity. 

We were on Explorer of the Seas Sept. 21, 2001.  The ship was perhaps half empty.  If you recall, people were afraid to travel and especially afraid to fly.

They were offering us (all)  the next week free if we just paid  port fees and taxes.

We couldn't take advantage of the offer, but many did.

The ships still sailed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

There was major panic for travel after the 9-11 attacks.  I wonder what the occupancy rate was back then in the following months?  It was a very different time and cruise industry in 2001 but I wonder if sailings got cancelled due to low occupancy?  Does anybody recall?

My first sailing was Nov 1st or 3.. .can't remember.  But the SW flights were full... and so was the ship.

50 minutes ago, ocngypz said:

My first sailing was Nov 1st or 3.. .can't remember.  But the SW flights were full... and so was the ship.

ocngypz (Babette),

So good to see you posting on the boards.  I often wondered where you disappeared to!  You always used to give such good advice and opinions.  So glad to see you're "alive and well" and still involved in travel.

Edited by jcpc

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

There was major panic for travel after the 9-11 attacks.  I wonder what the occupancy rate was back then in the following months?  It was a very different time and cruise industry in 2001 but I wonder if sailings got cancelled due to low occupancy?  Does anybody recall?

We did a Windjammer Barefoot cruise on the Mandalay in December 2001. It was almost at capacity - all 68 of us. If I recall there may have been a senior crew member in a 'cabin' near us in the bowels of the boat. We flew from Toronto to Granada, and back from Antigua. I can't recall if the flights were full. We were not into large ships at that point.

3 hours ago, katrina915 said:

If they cancel, you get cash and not FCC, right? If so, could cause a huge cash flow issue for the cruiseline.

Yes, I believe this is correct. If Celebrity cancels then we would get a full refund as opposed to FCC that we would get if we cancel.

We sail on Saturday and there are over 600 open cabins. I spoke to a crew member today asking him at what point Celebrity would cancel and he said that it will sail as scheduled! Here’s to getting a seat by the pool AND martini bar! [emoji482]

AMEN [emoji16][emoji4][emoji484][emoji5][emoji274][emoji483]🥃. My husband & I are booked on Silhouette leaving this Sunday for a 12 night Southern Caribbean cruise. We are all in....so hoping 🤞🏻& praying [emoji1317] that she will sail. [emoji924]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Years ago we were on a ship that was about 60% capacity due to an airline strike.  Before boarding I thought it was going to be great...no lines, easy to get a drink or a seat but it actually turned out to be really dull.  The atmosphere was missing.  I don’t like crazy busy big ships but this had a very strange feeling about it.  

I'm booked on this one, still planning it.

16 hours ago, Sam.Seattle said:

I am not a TA and counted the open rooms in each category.  Here are the open rooms on the Eclipse April 12, 2020 sailing.

Celebrity Suite                 1

Sky Suite                           5

H – Sky Suite                    2

Aqua                                  12

Concierge                         87

Family Veranda               1

Sunset Veranda               13

Veranda                            245

H -Veranda                      2

Ocean View                      19

H – Ocean View               2

Inside                                17

H – Inside                         4

TOTAL                                410       

Slightly different if they don’t sail what do they do? I live near Southampton and as soon as the cruise ship sail the dock is taken by another ship usually cargo. Docking is also expensive, therefore assume the ships can’t stay in port and to sail empty costs in fuel, even if only bobbing around off shore ....

On 3/11/2020 at 12:04 PM, katrina915 said:

In years past whenever they canceled our cruise, they would return whatever cash we had already paid, and additionally give us FCC as compensation for the inconvenience and incentive to book with them again.

Surely the cruise lines carry insurance to protect themselves in emergency situations, but we don't know which circumstances would be covered and which would be excluded.

Edited by varoo