HAL needs to STEP UP.....Unacceptable

Qcruise

In light of the Canadian government closing all cruise ports today including Seattle and Vancouver until July.....our TA called them to get our cruise cancelled April 28th repo for Alaska season and was told only a 50% credit for future cruise.  They need to give full credit now......this is unacceptable and they need to step up like Princess and take care of it's customers if they expect us to book again.  Willing to take a future credit but only at 100%.........do the right thing HAL.  Just what are they waiting for.....???  

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

Sometimes you need to be a little patient.  Wait until next week and once the cruise lines has time to digest this major change  and notify their staff the answer may be different.  

Totally agree.  If things are closing down HAL will have no choice but to follow suit.  Patience............

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Qcruise said:

In light of the Canadian government closing all cruise ports today including Seattle and Vancouver until July.....our TA called them to get our cruise cancelled April 28th repo for Alaska season and was told only a 50% credit for future cruise.  They need to give full credit now......this is unacceptable and they need to step up like Princess and take care of it's customers if they expect us to book again.  Willing to take a future credit but only at 100%.........do the right thing HAL.  Just what are they waiting for.....???  

I am confused.   Did you get your money back?  Are you out any cash?   Do you want a full refund plus 100% future cruise?

• Like 5

1 minute ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I am confused.   Did you get your money back?  Are you out any cash?   Do you want a full refund plus 100% future cruise?

No we only want all of our money held as future CC.......they at this time will only give us 50%

1 minute ago, Qcruise said:

No we only want all of our money held as future CC.......they at this time will only give us 50%

Yes...agree they need to make everyone whole if they want to see anyone come back.   I think they will end up doing the same as princess.   

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Qcruise said:

1 minute ago, Qcruise said:

But won’t you get 50% cash back on your credit card and the remaining 50% as a future cruise credit?  Why would you want HAL to hold all of your money as a FCC?

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Qcruise said:

In light of the Canadian government closing all cruise ports today including Seattle and Vancouver until July.....our TA called them to get our cruise cancelled April 28th repo for Alaska season and was told only a 50% credit for future cruise.  They need to give full credit now......this is unacceptable and they need to step up like Princess and take care of it's customers if they expect us to book again.  Willing to take a future credit but only at 100%.........do the right thing HAL.  Just what are they waiting for.....???  t

I cancelled the same cruise on Tuesday. Was given a credit to our credit card of 50% of the base fare PLUS the taxes and fees.  This posted to my credit card on Thursday.  Then I also received a Future Cruise Credit for the other 50% of the base fare.  This FCC must be booked by Dec 31, 2020 for a cruise prior to Dec 31, 2021.

While I would rather have a full "cash" refund, I found this to be acceptable, especially since we cruise alot with HAL and already have two others booked.

Is this what you were given/promised?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, KAKcruiser said:

Well, what did it say?  We are all anxious to hear from them.

Also just received email from HAL within last hour. We are due to sail this Wednesday the 18th. it is basically a repeat I think of what we received last Friday. I find it hard to fathom that HAL will remain sailing while all other lines suspend. 

Nevertheless, we understand our guests have questions about their upcoming vacation plans. In order to give guests greater peace of mind, Holland America Line is extending our Short Term Cancel Policy for cruises or Alaska Land+Sea Journeys departing through July 31, 2020. 

For guests who choose to keep their booking as currently scheduled for departures between now and July 31will receive the following Onboard Credit (OBC) amounts:

• $100 per stateroom ($50 per person) for 6-day cruises (or fewer)
  • $200 per stateroom ($100 per person) for 7-day and longer cruises

If you choose to continue to sail with us, we will automatically apply your onboard credit to your booking. There is no need to call us.

Guests with existing bookings on sailings between now and July 31, 2020, who decide to change their vacation plans, can now cancel their booking up to 48 hours prior to sailing and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for the amount of the cancellation fees assessed, less the cost of Cancellation Protection Plan (Standard or Platinum) 

• Future Cruise Credit can be used for another cruise in 2020 or 2021. The FCC must be applied to a new booking by Dec. 31, 2020.
  • FCCs are nonrefundable, non-transferrable and do not have to be used on the same destination that was cancelled.
  • If any portion of your travel was not booked through Holland America Line, other booking and cancellation conditions and policies may apply. Please consult with your Travel Advisor or Tour Operator for more information.

4 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

I cancelled the same cruise on Tuesday. Was given a credit to our credit card of 50% of the base fare PLUS the taxes and fees.  This posted to my credit card on Thursday.  Then I also received a Future Cruise Credit for the other 50% of the base fare.  This FCC must be booked by Dec 31, 2020 for a cruise prior to Dec 31, 2021.

While I would rather have a full "cash" refund, I found this to be acceptable, especially since we cruise alot with HAL and already have two others booked.

Is this what you were given/promised?

I was looking at numbers that did not add up to our full amount.....but our TA booked for another couple and she may have been quoting their numbers.   As long as we get back all of our $$$ divided up however we'll be happy. 

I'm sure something will change soon, this was posted to Port of Seattle website today, I'd link it but I never know what's allowed vs. what isn't.  In other words, I doubt we can expect a waiver of the foreign port stop.

On March 13, Canada’s Transport Minister announced a suspension of cruise across Canada until July 1. United States maritime laws require foreign flagged vessels, which include many cruise ships, to stop at a foreign port on a U.S. port to U.S. port itinerary. This is why most Seattle to Alaska cruise itineraries visit Victoria, and changes in Canada can impact Seattle-based cruises.

All aspects of the Port’s operations are impacted by the global response to COVID-19, including Canada’s decision to suspend its cruise season.  Maintaining the health, safety, and wellbeing of our community is our top priority. The Port has already cancelled the first two sailings of its season, originally scheduled for April 1 and 5. We are reviewing Transport Canada’s actions and evaluating the order’s impacts on the 2020 Alaska cruise season. The pace of change and scale of operational impact is significant, and we will continue to work closely with stakeholders on next steps.  

Edited by atexsix

All of the above is why I’m waiting as long as possible to cancel if it comes to that. My TA said I should cancel by Monday, March 23rd to safely get the credit for a 3/27 sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale. If I can still go at least maybe HAL will have toilet paper. 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

HAL has had more than enough time to evaluate the situation.  The time now is for action.  As a 5 star mariner I believe that HAL should follow Princess' lead and give everyone the choice of a cash refund.  If they don't back down, I have taken my last HAL cruise.  Incidentally I was booked on a Princess Hawaiian cruise leaving leaving April 14th.  I am happy that I was lucky enough to be booked with Princess.  I go my money back plus a 25% fcc.  HAL step up!

46 minutes ago, Midwest Sunseeker said:

We just received an email from Holland.

1 hour ago, Qcruise said:

In light of the Canadian government closing all cruise ports today including Seattle and Vancouver until July.....

So the Canadian government can  close the Port of Seattle?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1