What will crew do

markf

9 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Extremely valid point, however, we have to consider if one or both parents will need to contribute income and/or provide care for the child.  If one parent is working on the ship they're contributing financially but would not be providing care and vice versa.  On my last NCL cruise more crew members were from the Philippines (which isn't a wealthy country) than any other country.  According to this 2014 article, to raise a child in the Philippines it costs between $12800-$15000 which is inclusive of housing, transportation, etc. https://www.philippinesbasiceducation.us/2014/10/how-much-does-it-cost-to-raise-child.html  Room stewards, bartenders and waitstaff are the crew members that passengers interact with and are able to receive additional income from extra tips.  For the majority of the crew which are unseen, it would be difficult for them to raise a child on their salary alone.

That article is giving the costs of raising a child in the US, not Philippines.  They were even providing data for Fairfax County, which is probably one of the most expensive counties in the US.   The per capita in the Philippines is $3300/year, 4-5 times less than the cost of raising a child in the US.

For context, the average crew member makes about $20000/year.  Just a hunch, but I suspect most crew members earnings make them comparatively wealthy in their countries.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/cruise-ship-workers-reveal-how-much-money-they-make-2019-5%3famp

Edited by Stealthdog

10 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Room stewards, bartenders and waitstaff are the crew members that passengers interact with and are able to receive additional income from extra tips.  For the majority of the crew which are unseen, it would be difficult for them to raise a child on their salary alone.

What you don't understand is that those who are "back of house" receive a higher wage than those who receive the DSC.  And, the minimum wage for seafarers applies to all crew, whether their salary is strictly wages or a combination of wages and DSC.  And what you think about child care by the absent parent is ridiculous, placing US mores on others.  These folks have extended families, over generations, that work together to support the children, etc.  The back of house crew, in the entry level positions do tend to be younger, partly because they are entry level positions, and they work to make promotions to higher positions, just as we all do.  The back of house dishwashers are by no means "poor" in their home countries.  The median salary in the Philippines is about $7500/year.  The crew all make more than that. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stealthdog said:

That article is giving the costs of raising a child in the US, not Philippines.  They were even providing data for Fairfax County, which is probably one of the most expensive counties in the US.   The per capita in the Philippines is $3300/year, 4-5 times less than the cost of raising a child in the US.

For context, the average crew member makes about $20000/year.  Just a hunch, but I suspect most crew members earnings make them comparatively wealthy in their countries.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/cruise-ship-workers-reveal-how-much-money-they-make-2019-5%3famp

The average salary for a bank manager in the Philippines is less than $14,000 a year so I think your hunch is spot on.

Just got off the Joy yesterday.  The crew did not know about all ships being grounded until Saturday of our cruise.  Most of them we talked to were staying on the boat.  Our cruise was full.  They told us early in the week that they were only expecting 2000 for the one leaving the 15th, then it was canceled with the rest 2 days later.

On 3/14/2020 at 5:38 AM, roger001 said:

It's going to be a mess with all the ships sitting idle, no bookings coming in, refunds on the books to be issued...maybe.  And fixed costs continue.   Have no idea where it will all end.  Will they run out of cash in 30 days, 60 days, what are the reserve resources.  I'm afraid the crew will get stuck, no salary, no flight home eventually.  And as a previous post said, even the best outlook has this dragging out for at least several months before peaking.  There is no cure for the virus at the moment.  So the first vaccine that is eventually discovered, then has a long period of processing, manufacturing, distributing worldwide, to actually bring the disease to a halt.  Ain't good I'm afraid.  

I wonder about this. With the debt load NCL has, I wonder if their creditors required them to purchase business interruption insurance?

On 3/13/2020 at 8:37 PM, markf said:

How will the cruise line handle the crew during this down time?
i hope they are taken care of. 
will they get paid and given a home etc. ?

Delete ... realize someone already posted same ... the video above.  He is now on day 4 of his daily videos.

Edited by poffles

57 minutes ago, poffles said:

Delete ... realize someone already posted same ... the video above.  He is now on day 4 of his daily videos.

did he say if the crew is being paid during this time?

13 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

did he say if the crew is being paid during this time?

I can't recall him speaking to pay (he may have).  I still have to watch this 4th video.  That said, they are still not totally on 'vacation' while on the ship ... they are cleaning, meeting to be updated and I'm sure other busy 'work' stuff.  He mentions in one video that there was talk of using the time to do employee training so I would expect they are still being paid ... and fed well.

Edited by poffles

3 minutes ago, poffles said:

I can't recall him speaking to pay (he may have).  I still have to watch this 4th video.  That said, they are still not totally on 'vacation' while on the ship ... they are cleaning, meeting to be updated and I'm sure other busy 'work' stuff.  He mentions in one video that there was talk of using the time to do employee training so I would expect they are still being paid ... and fed well.

He is on the Oasis of the Seas RCCL, not Norwegian ship

4 minutes ago, Ragdollbd said:

He is on the Oasis of the Seas RCCL, not Norwegian ship

Yes I know that ... what's your point????  I would think this is still of interest for this post to speak to crew in general.  And even though this is on NCL forum the OP did not say they were asking about NCL only.

Oh and edited to add that someone posted it even before I did???

Edited by poffles

According to this RCL crew member's latest video, the crew members were notified yesterday by the Captain that there was a change in plans and most will now be sent home over the course of the next 30 days.  This crew member in particlar was told he will leaving next week. I have to think that NCL is doing the same thing. 

• Like 1

Thats too bad, I was hoping they would get a couple weeks at their private island. It will be interesting to see they will actually be able to get flights. I guess they figured out 30 days is going to be more like 90 or 120 days

Edited by Laszlo

34 minutes ago, Chesneygirl said:

According to this RCL crew member's latest video, the crew members were notified yesterday by the Captain that there was a change in plans and most will now be sent home over the course of the next 30 days.  This crew member in particlar was told he will leaving next week. I have to think that NCL is doing the same thing. 

oh boy.. that means Royal doesnt expect to be sailing after the 30day ban is over 😞

1 hour ago, fstuff1 said:

oh boy.. that means Royal doesnt expect to be sailing after the 30day ban is over

I think it means there's increasing uncertainty about resuming operations in 30 days. At the same time, airfares got a lot cheaper. The cost of keeping them there now exceeds the cost of sending them home, and the longer this lasts, the greater the difference.

As noted in another thread about this, that crew member's contract would be ending about the time the ships would start back up.  There is no mention of how many crew are being sent home, nor what their end of contract dates are.

On 3/13/2020 at 11:01 PM, tutuwahineLV said:

Here's my 2 cents...and thoughts.  

I don't think they'll send the crew homeward,  too great a chance they won't be able to easily get back, depending on what this virus is doing in their home country in the ensuing month.  And, they'll need someone to do the deep cleaning that I'm sure they will be doing during this 30days....gives the crew something to do.  

And then the ships will be spic and span and sparkling when they start welcoming passengers back.  

Crews are officially being sent home. Starting this week. Contracts cancelled. Google Christopher Wong vlogs. He’s a RC employee. He’s on one of the “of the seas” ships. He’s been vlogging every day. All crew was told everyone is being sent home to their own countries. 

9 hours ago, Smq123 said:

Crews are officially being sent home. Starting this week. Contracts cancelled. Google Christopher Wong vlogs. He’s a RC employee. He’s on one of the “of the seas” ships. He’s been vlogging every day. All crew was told everyone is being sent home to their own countries. 

Not only was his video posted before your reply, by days, but there was also a possible explanation for this move given.  It's also possible that what's happening with him is only happening with Royal.

• Haha 1

Yes his vlog was posted before my comment. How else would I know what they had instructed RC employees?! They are sending crew home. In waves. That’s approximately 1500 employees that need travel arrangements arranged by Royal Carribean. 

I’m sure with countries announcing they are closing borders & most enforcing a 14 quarantine when you enter your own country all travel & cruising will cease to exist for some time. 

Just my opinion. But this is going to get worse before it gets better. 

6 hours ago, hallux said:

Not only was his video posted before your reply, by days, but there was also a possible explanation for this move given.  It's also possible that what's happening with him is only happening with Royal.

What was the was the explanation given? And if 1 cruise line has made that decision you know the rest will follow. We’re 20 days out until April 11. Do you envision Us all getting back to normal in 20 days?

2 hours ago, Smq123 said:

What was the was the explanation given?

In the post right above yours.  Also - I was referencing that the video was posted to this thread prior to your other post.

On 3/19/2020 at 9:34 AM, chengkp75 said:

As noted in another thread about this, that crew member's contract would be ending about the time the ships would start back up.  There is no mention of how many crew are being sent home, nor what their end of contract dates are.