Would you take 125 %FCC or 100% money back from Celebrity?

Pedro2400

19 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Curious if anyone has any experience like my situation.    I was booked on a B2B2B and won upgrades on two of the cruises.   This was for 3/15 and 3/21.    I'm holding off calling because I don't want to burden them with a non-emergency.    

I've read that you will be given a FCC for the amount of the cruise only and the other amounts would be refunded to original form of payment.    Has anyone received a credit for the paid upgrade?

Paid upgrades are either refunded at 100% or you can receive OBC 125% on your account for future sailings. 

30 minutes ago, BOLOCRUISE said:

Yeah. This June. Let's put it this way. If there are not cruises sailing by May, Cruising will be the least of our problems. 

There won’t be I’m sure. And the USA is about to implode like us. We can only wait and hope to be in a position to cruise one day in the future... distant future at that. 

Good luck, anyway and I hope you stay safe.

Edited by ellie1145

17 minutes ago, ellie1145 said:

There won’t be I’m sure. And the USA is about to implode like us. We can only wait and hope to be in a position to cruise one day in the future... distant future at that. 

Good luck, anyway and I hope you stay safe.

As bleak as it sounds, I definitely agree .

On 3/16/2020 at 6:13 AM, Mytravellove said:

I really like the Celebrity product . . . however, Celebrity’s management of their product during this crisis has been very poor.  Sadly, I don’t know if I will be cruising with them again.  

Mytravellove,

Just what were you expecting?  All of the cruise lines have been dealing with a crisis that was not of their doing.  They have been fielding untold thousands of calls, emails, rescheduling cruises, getting existing passengers denied port entry back to their home country.  Were you expecting they would take time out to send you a warm and fuzzy email or personal call.  

I guess you would be someone who when the Titanic was sinking would call the front desk wondering why your room service was slow. 

• Like 1

We too are disappointed in Celebrity.  Processing refunds to credit cards should not take so long, even if some files need a manual review and many do not.  Quick to take your money, slow to give it back! 

They also delayed cancelling cruises when everyone else saw it coming. 

And they are still advertising and offering sailings that likely won't happen.

We are not on social media so we are probably a bit in the dark.   But we wonder where is LLP? Has she made any encouraging statements or is someone else calling the shots now?  Leadership.....?

• Like 3

The cruise lines are not getting a bailout. We have recouped all our deposits and flight moneys.

I am sure all of you are aware that FCCs may be worthless if there is no inventory to apply them to. I hope I am wrong. Someone on CC just wrote that they made final payment and are hoping for the best. And I wish them all the best, but throwing your money at the wind , hoping  it comes back to you , is foolish. Again, I hope I am wrong. 

I took the refund today - should be on my cc within 30 days.

I may have taken the FCC if it was more or just re-booked if the price for a similar cruise in 2021 was not SOOOO high - more than double the price I paid this year.

I hope Celebrity comes out of this ok

In the hour after Celebrity finally cancelled my Alaska cruise out of Vancouver (long after Trudeau announced the port closure until July) I was on the phone to them and accepted the FCC. Since I had paid in full a few days earlier, the FCC @125% amounts to just under $700 per person more than my cost. I realize that I am in effect loaning my $ to RCI until the time that I can apply it to another cruise, but 25% is not a bad return on that investment. I also believe that the cruise industry is going to try to retain seasoned cruisers and encourage new customers next year. I showed interest in a longer Alaska cruise, also on the Eclipse, for next May, and was immediately offered 4 perks. My choice of cabin was available, so call me a sucker, I put a deposit on it. I really want to see Alaska before those glaciers melt! A longer period of anticipation for me, but I am looking forward to it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deultgen said:

I took the refund today - should be on my cc within 30 days.

I may have taken the FCC if it was more or just re-booked if the price for a similar cruise in 2021 was not SOOOO high - more than double the price I paid this year.

I hope Celebrity comes out of this ok

We were on Apex this May and I found another sailing on the same ship for next May at about the same price. But I have to pay the deposit and since we take just one cruise a year not sure how I can spend the 125%. 

BTW, can the FCC be used like to pay for taxes and port fees, also specialty dining, drinks package upgrades, spa treatments, etc like OBC? This might be a way to use the balance FCC...

1 hour ago, prish said:

We were on Apex this May and I found another sailing on the same ship for next May at about the same price. But I have to pay the deposit and since we take just one cruise a year not sure how I can spend the 125%. 

BTW, can the FCC be used like to pay for taxes and port fees, also specialty dining, drinks package upgrades, spa treatments, etc like OBC? This might be a way to use the balance FCC...

I wanted to ask the same question - the cruise to which we want to apply FCC (IF we take FCC instead of the cash refund, still haven't decided.....) is cheaper, than the cost of the cruise which was cancelled.  SO, we would have approximately $500 extra in FCC - we'd love to be able to apply that onboard to shore excursions, specialty dining, etc......perhaps this question has been answered before and I apologize - but if anyone knows for sure, prish and I would love to know.  Thanks!

On 3/25/2020 at 8:57 AM, Pedro2400 said:

Just in case anyone is interested......

Q: Can you use your Future Cruise Credit (FCC) on an existing booking? 

A: Yes. FCCs can be applied to an existing booking.

Please cite your source?

@prish and @lexmiller, according to the information included with our FCC's received on March 16, they can be applied to your "fare". So the base fare, yes, as well as perks included with your booking. However, drink package upgrades, specialty restaurants, spa treatments and the like aren't part of you fare and wouldn't be covered. The information from Celebrity also rules out taxes and (port?) fees. Mind you, the final paragraph more or less gives them the latitude to apply additional terms and conditions as they see fit.

We would like to make you aware of some important information regarding your FCCs:

• Any booking made using the Cruise with Confidence FCC must be used for a sailing that commences on or before December 31, 2021. 
  • If the Cruise With Confidence FCC is not redeemed and sailed on or before December 31, 2021, the certificate will automatically expire and have no value.
  • Future Cruise Credits are per person, per booking, and valid only for the person noted above. FCCs are redeemable towards cruise fare only and are not valid on Complimentary cruises, Incentive bookings, and Charter sailings.
  • All guests are responsible for taxes and fees where applicable.
  • Celebrity Cruises reserves the right to void the FCC Savings amount if the guest named above receives other reimbursement.
  • FCCs are only valid for the cruises on Celebrity Cruises ships, are not transferable, and may not be redeemed for cash.
  • The Cruise with Confidence FCC cannot be redeemed to repurchase the same sailing where the original booking cancelled.
  • Additional terms and conditions apply.
Edited by Fouremco
  • Thanks 1

The only additional piece of information I will add is that any remaining value of the FCC will be reissued in a new FCC and can be used on an additional cruise.

From the link above (some very good FAQ's)

If the cruise fare on the new booking exceeds the Future Cruise Credit value, you will be responsible for the difference. Alternatively, if the new cruise fare is lower than the Future Cruise Credit value, a new Future Cruise Credit will be issued for the balance, which can be applied toward an additional cruise with us.

• Thanks 1

I said it many times in other threads - get tour money back. Full refund will make you happy, trust me. When you have all your money in hands, you can start planning your vacation. Relying on some company that can go bankrupt any time is very silly. With these money you can choose a new way to spend your vacation

Here's a twist I hadn't seen before.   If your suspended cruise was booked onboard it looks like the book onboard bonus will be honored on the cruise where you redeem the FCC.  This is the text in the FAQ's which I believe have been enhanced recently.

"I booked a cruise on board that has now been voluntarily suspended. If I choose to receive the Future Cruise Credit and book at a later date, will I also be entitled to the onboard promotion?

If you take advantage of the Future Cruise Credit, yes, you will be entitled to the onboard promotion. Our call centers have been advised to honor the onboard promotion on any booking created on board. If you choose to take the 100% refund, the onboard promotion will not be honored if you choose to rebook."

I'm glad I'm not in this predicament, we are hopeful our cruise is far enough in the future (January/February 2021) that we won't have to make this choice. I have commented on other threads that these future cruise credits are looking like bad faith arrangements by the cruise lines. There are many reports of cruisers trying to rebook the same cruise, same cabin and same time next year and finding the price has gone up by 30% or more; so the future cruise credit doesn't cover it. That would be my concern. With the cash refund you know you have the cash in hand, then you can choose to book another time or not.

• Like 1

The 125% FCC might be a good deal for some of us with cruises previously booked  with excellent rates/perks and final payment still due.  It's really a matter of individual comfort with risk and reward...we chose the 125% FCC as we will have an extra $1k for future travel.  I choose to believe RCCL (Celebrity) will be around for many years to come.  For others, the refund is the way to go.

There isn't one answer that fits everyone so I find it troubling when so many are urging everyone to take refunds vs. FCC...this might be the best answer for your circumstances, but not for others. 

• Like 2

Henry1005, in your circumstance that works out perfect and is a great use of the credit. That will work for many who already have cruises booked and they still have to make final payment. As many have pointed out other circumstances, not so much.

Just now, Blackduck59 said:

Henry1005, in your circumstance that works out perfect and is a great use of the credit. That will work for many who already have cruises booked and they still have to make final payment. As many have pointed out other circumstances, not so much.

My point exactly...I wasn't referring to your comments, but the comments of others throughout this thread.  It seems that some want others to join them so that they feel vindicated for the decision they made to not take the 125% FCC...everyone should investigate on Celebrity.com, read the boards, and make their own decision.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, henry1005 said:

The 125% FCC might be a good deal for some of us with cruises previously booked  with excellent rates/perks and final payment still due.  It's really a matter of individual comfort with risk and reward...we chose the 125% FCC as we will have an extra $1k for future travel.  I choose to believe RCCL (Celebrity) will be around for many years to come.  For others, the refund is the way to go.

There isn't one answer that fits everyone so I find it troubling when so many are urging everyone to take refunds vs. FCC...this might be the best answer for your circumstances, but not for others. 

I agree!

125% of our cruisfare in a suite, equals an attractive sum to apply to our two existing bookings in 2021. Heck, it might even be a nice upgrade. Add that to the 125% of our onboard expenditures and it becomes very attractive. 

On 3/24/2020 at 9:28 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Curious if anyone has any experience like my situation.    I was booked on a B2B2B and won upgrades on two of the cruises.   This was for 3/15 and 3/21.    I'm holding off calling because I don't want to burden them with a non-emergency.    

I've read that you will be given a FCC for the amount of the cruise only and the other amounts would be refunded to original form of payment.    Has anyone received a credit for the paid upgrade?

We were in Santiago, Chile booked on the Eclipse when the 3/15 sailing was cancelled. Celebrity told me that FCC only applied to base cruise fare, not additional amounts paid for move up bids, taxes, or fees. 

9 hours ago, lexmiller said:

I wanted to ask the same question - the cruise to which we want to apply FCC (IF we take FCC instead of the cash refund, still haven't decided.....) is cheaper, than the cost of the cruise which was cancelled.  SO, we would have approximately $500 extra in FCC - we'd love to be able to apply that onboard to shore excursions, specialty dining, etc......perhaps this question has been answered before and I apologize - but if anyone knows for sure, prish and I would love to know.  Thanks!

Lexmiller,

It is my understanding that future cruise credits can only be applied towards future cruises not towards shore excursions, specialty dining.  etc. I don't know about things like prepaid gratuities but I suspect not.  So you could upgrade your cabin, take two cruises, since any unused portion stays in your account until the end of 2021 or take a longer cruise. 

• Thanks 1