******MSC - UK CRUISERS ***

Host Carolyn

On 11/30/2022 at 6:52 PM, ellie1145 said:

So far we are impressed with our dealings with MSC. 

We sail on Friday and I called today to ask if our Status Match discount could be assigned as OBC as we hadn’t had confirmation of status when we booked. My hopes were not very high but I was very agreeably surprised.

An extremely helpful young lady managed to do this despite the short time frame. She resent our tickets with our Diamond status on them and was exceptionally polite and helpful, and even stayed on the line to ensure the new tickets had arrived.

MSC also answered the phone quickly. Our experience with both RCI and Princess have been utterly appalling with very long wait times of over an hour. So frustrating and for such large companies, inexcusable. 

So far it’s a thumbs up for MSC. Let’s hope this continues.  We are sailing with an open mind and recognise it’s a very different cruise line,  but we’ve always enjoyed new experiences and new ships. 

Roll on Friday! 

Many thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions. 

I've status matched to Cunard and we are now Silver.  Can I ask what status discount you got (5%) - my TA said I couldn't have anything as I'd booked less than 9 months before departure. How was the cruise? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tarquin said:

Is there anywhere I can find or does anyone know the price of drinks packages for a 3 day cruise from Southampton?

From my msc account.

Msc direct have a best promo + drinks offer where you can get premium drinks added quite cheaply. 

Screenshot_20230103_185042_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2022 at 3:51 PM, elmsliebev said:

I've status matched to Cunard and we are now Silver.  Can I ask what status discount you got (5%) - my TA said I couldn't have anything as I'd booked less than 9 months before departure. How was the cruise? 

We had a fantastic time thank you. We absolutely loved Virtuosa although we had read so many bad reviews. Can’t wait to go back on her. I spoke to a very helpful lady who applied our 5% discount as OBC. Very impressed with their service. It was a last minute booking about 8 weeks before sailing. 

We’ve done over 70 cruises and are pretty fussy now but Virtuosa exceeded all expectations. 

When  I have time I’ll do a full review.

Hope you enjoy your cruise too.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone tell us the arrangements for passengers to get from the dock in Zeebrugge to Blankenburg?

We've only ever travelled with P&O who laid on free shuttle buses to and from Blankenburg which dropped us a few minutes walk from the train station for the 10 minute ride into Bruges.

On 2/6/2023 at 11:07 PM, Tarquin said:

Can anyone tell us the arrangements for passengers to get from the dock in Zeebrugge to Blankenburg?

We've only ever travelled with P&O who laid on free shuttle buses to and from Blankenburg which dropped us a few minutes walk from the train station for the 10 minute ride into Bruges.

A short walk from the cruise terminal is a spa where you can get tickets for the rtam/bus
The tram stop is just outside.
https://www.monspar.be/magasins/spar-zeebrugge

outside the spa was this sign.

IMG_20221110_162328.thumb.jpg.58ecfeed26c203271ac6dbfd59520bcd.jpg

Edited by insidecabin
  • Like 1

Not been on CC for a while but been looking at MSC cruises for this year got our eye on June iceland.

For UK booking always check if they are offering a deal with drinks at time of booking.

Current deals have the premium package between £11 and £30pppd on most cruises which is a lot cheaper than doing it after booking.

(for this week there is a valentine special as well)

The current run of 7n cruises have started at £310pp for the 7n which is a bargain add premium drinks £170pp more. 
Balconies have been £399

Look for TA's offering 15% discount and if your status matched should get another 5%.

19 hours ago, insidecabin said:

Not been on CC for a while but been looking at MSC cruises for this year got our eye on June iceland.

For UK booking always check if they are offering a deal with drinks at time of booking.

Current deals have the premium package between £11 and £30pppd on most cruises which is a lot cheaper than doing it after booking.

(for this week there is a valentine special as well)

The current run of 7n cruises have started at £310pp for the 7n which is a bargain add premium drinks £170pp more. 
Balconies have been £399

Look for TA's offering 15% discount and if your status matched should get another 5%.

Thanks for this, so if look at a certain TA which has just extended its 15% for a month. I could get a further 5% from my diamond matched status. I went through the booking process with this TA right up until confirm, but could not sea a place where to enter my voyager club details. I scanned everywhere.

Has anyone got experience of this?

How will MSC spot me, other TAs i enter my voyager club number and i can see the price change.

Many thanks

12 minutes ago, jonnyenglish1 said:

Thanks for this, so if look at a certain TA which has just extended its 15% for a month. I could get a further 5% from my diamond matched status. I went through the booking process with this TA right up until confirm, but could not sea a place where to enter my voyager club details. I scanned everywhere.

Has anyone got experience of this?

How will MSC spot me, other TAs i enter my voyager club number and i can see the price change.

Many thanks

(see later)

What you have to do is do is open a support email to advise them of your voyager numbers, then they will deal with it, it takes time I am still waiting(10 days) for my discounts on our next cruise, the last one  took 5 weeks.
The "email only no one to talk" to support can be a pain as it takes time to get turnaround but the prices are good and easy to do everything on line.

Once booked it will be on MSC site very quickly and last cruise MSC worked out who we were and our status was there on the app and when we got onboard, tickets did not have it. 

make sure you use the name on your MSC account as they have me without middle name and I used that on our current booking which has caused issues.

What I do with any TA is check out there ABTA No.(bottom of the page).  you will find they are part of a big TA.

Reports are if you phone them they will match the prices of their online only service.
they also own the .com version that prices in € can be worth checking there.

Thanks Inside Cabin, very helpful. One more thing, what % was then further removed from quoted 15% off price for your successful one so far?

Another site I looked at, after entering my voyager number brought the cost down to 4.4% below the quoted price from the site we are discussing. They did want a service fee which consumed roughly 1% of the difference.

Many thanks

4 hours ago, jonnyenglish1 said:

Thanks Inside Cabin, very helpful. One more thing, what % was then further removed from quoted 15% off price for your successful one so far?

Another site I looked at, after entering my voyager number brought the cost down to 4.4% below the quoted price from the site we are discussing. They did want a service fee which consumed roughly 1% of the difference.

Many thanks

Got confirmation today of another one,  looks like the full 5%

(slightly over will do a proper check later)

Won't see the money for a while.

Another booking was on a special rate so did not qualify, can't remember how much less the special rate was will be checking before booking next time.

With 7n cruises starting at £300 I don't sweat over a few % 

Next ones I will be phoning the boss agency to price match and get voyager No. sorted up front as some on the list quality for the 10%

5 hours ago, Ryan82 said:

Anyone with an upcoming booking know the current charges for the speciality dinning experiences you can precooked. Know they tend to appear for departures less than 60 days away.

Virtuosa I am getting 2(£65) 3(£91) 4(£100).

Add the show to 2|3 for  £5 or 4 for £4.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2023 at 11:35 PM, Tarquin said:

Is there anywhere I can find or does anyone know the price of drinks packages for a 3 day cruise from Southampton?

Look it up on MSC or TA if there is an offer with the cruise booking.

Eg 3 April Virtuosa.

Best Promo £255/pp

Best Promo w/ Drinks 297/pp

£45 to upgrade while booking

Always(nearly) more after booking.

19 hours ago, Ryan82 said:

Anyone with an upcoming booking know the current charges for the speciality dinning experiences you can precooked. Know they tend to appear for departures less than 60 days away.

we go in 2 weeks and paid £104pp for 4 restaurants (Butcher's Cut, Sushi, Hola & Indochine) and a Carousel show with cocktail. 

• Like 1

Morning all uk based here. We are considering going on what will be our first MSC cruise from Southampton for a couple of week Aug 24. We usually sail RCL simply for the activities on board, water slides etc for our daughter, not really bothered about the MDRs food etc as we enjoy the freedom of the buffet. I totally understand MSC are and will be totally different to RCL, however we do keep looking at the vast difference in price and a little apprehensive tbh.

Seems to be some good deals online for MSC with one online web site offering 15% discount? Has anyone used that website, (google msc 15% discount and will show what website) Anyone used them and had any issues? 

Hey @FamilyCruiserUK MSC aren't RCL there will be differences but personally i only sail MSC now.

Tbh the results that are likely to come up first in Google will be larger travel sites. You may find that the discount is not genuine. 

If you have status with RCL status match to MSC. You'll then get a voyagers club discount on bookings.

Edited by Ryan82

42 minutes ago, Ryan82 said:

Hey @FamilyCruiserUK MSC aren't RCL there will be differences but personally i only sail MSC now.

Tbh the results that are likely to come up first in Google will be larger travel sites. You may find that the discount is not genuine. 

If you have status with RCL status match to MSC. You'll then get a voyagers club discount on bookings.

Thanks for the quick reply. Have applied for the match status so will wait for that to come back and then make a decision. We do like to try different companies tbh, so at the mo leaning towards MSC for next summer. 

9 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Morning all uk based here. We are considering going on what will be our first MSC cruise from Southampton for a couple of week Aug 24. We usually sail RCL simply for the activities on board, water slides etc for our daughter, not really bothered about the MDRs food etc as we enjoy the freedom of the buffet. I totally understand MSC are and will be totally different to RCL, however we do keep looking at the vast difference in price and a little apprehensive tbh.

Seems to be some good deals online for MSC with one online web site offering 15% discount? Has anyone used that website, (google msc 15% discount and will show what website) Anyone used them and had any issues? 

There is more than one offering 15%

If it is the on-line only one....

If you check the ABTA number you will see they are part of a big UK TA with a German branch of the same name(.com)

Main issue is email support takes time.

You need to know what you want.

The main agent with real people might price match.

15 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

There is more than one offering 15%

If it is the on-line only one....

If you check the ABTA number you will see they are part of a big UK TA with a German branch of the same name(.com)

Main issue is email support takes time.

You need to know what you want.

The main agent with real people might price match.

Thanks for the reply. Really sitting on the fence with MSC. A lot of very negative reviews, but then i guess most people only post when things go bad. More thinking to do i think. 

1 hour ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Thanks for the reply. Really sitting on the fence with MSC. A lot of very negative reviews, but then i guess most people only post when things go bad. More thinking to do i think. 

Last year I spent a fair amount of time going through the YouTube vids of people that had traveled on Virtuosa when it was essentially a British ship.

Some were regular bloggers others new to cruising, have got a very good overview of the ship and how it worked including when overrun with kids in holidays.

We were happy enough to book and will be back on soon, been more vlogs since  covering the winter season 7n cruises. 

MSC is different not everyone gets it.

• Like 1