******MSC - UK CRUISERS ***

Host Carolyn

On 6/9/2023 at 12:55 PM, Mark_T said:

We just got off Divina, and I'd have to agree with that assessment.

We were in Yacht Club but wanted to try everything the ship had to offer and the Sushi has to be the worst example of its kind I've ever had.

Clearly prepared by someone without a shred of sushi training, and using raw materials that did not look to be of suitable quality for sushi, which is obviously a concern when serving raw fish...

Butcher's Cut was adequate but when you can order filet in Yacht Club restaurant any time you want there is no reason to ever go there...

If not in Yacht Club then to be fair, it is not an expensive choice for the limited menu, but it does fail on minor points like the provision of the multiple 'sauce' options which are all tiny and really should not be presented as sauces. The chimichurri was sadly completely inedible due to a wild excess of vinegar vs olive oil, the resulting mix was far too acid.

When compared to speciality prices on other lines, these were not expensive, but equally not something we would do again regardless of being in Yacht Club or not...

On the ships that have the Mexican option, reports are far more promising.

Although we didn't eat in the Pizza restaurant on Divina we did have one delivered to our suite and it was excellent.

Mark_T, sorry to hear that you had to have similar experience with specialty dining.It is more disappointing to know that it was even on different ship! 

I can't believe I have come to this but I think I am going to opt for the package again for upcoming sailing next month.

It is 2 weeks voyage and I want to give some variety on the dining from YC/buffet menu..

I agree with your opinion on the steak house and only want to try 2 restaurants this time, Indochine and Mexican, but have to buy 4 restaurants package to cover these 2!

I roughly calculated the cost and realized that there are not much difference btwn buying 4 restaurants dining package vs 2 restaurants paying everying full price (including 2 children who will eat adult food). Last time I was really annoyed that children were not allowed to buy dining package and having to pay full price for them when they refused to eat from children's menu..MSC should improve children's menu or allow to buy the package for them at least! 

There was no pizza restaurants in Virtuosa as far as I remember, only pizza corner in buffet or by the pool deck which was absoultely fantastic quality. We also had pizza delivered to the cabin at night...It was nice surprise that they even have insulated pizza carrier bag and crew member took out steaming hot pizzas out of the bag!  🙂 

59 minutes ago, lovetravel1114 said:

There was no pizza restaurants in Virtuosa as far as I remember, only pizza corner in buffet or by the pool deck which was absoultely fantastic quality.

Divina has the Pizza restaurant, but no Mexican.

Based on the comments of others, I'd probably be avoiding the package and just ordering off the menu.

The Mexican restaurant prices seem very reasonable and I suspect there is more food that would be good at Indochine, but outside the 'Experience' menu.

For us, we may go to the Sushi restaurant on our next Divina cruise, but we will avoid the package.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2023 at 4:32 PM, Mark_T said:

Divina has the Pizza restaurant, but no Mexican.

Based on the comments of others, I'd probably be avoiding the package and just ordering off the menu.

The Mexican restaurant prices seem very reasonable and I suspect there is more food that would be good at Indochine, but outside the 'Experience' menu.

For us, we may go to the Sushi restaurant on our next Divina cruise, but we will avoid the package.

Virtuosa we do mexican all you can eat paying or have used our diamond free when we don't want to use it anywhere else.

Indochine has a couple of outstanding dishes like the cod and soup if you like very hot.

We would do the package again if not in YC but in YC we do anything paid outside YC as a lunch.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone been able to book a cruise with the Easy drink package instead of the full premium extra package? I know you can add the package on after booking but that is way more expensive. All cruise offers I see either you book the cruise without a drink package or with the premium extra package.

13 hours ago, smokey01 said:

Has anyone been able to book a cruise with the Easy drink package instead of the full premium extra package? I know you can add the package on after booking but that is way more expensive. All cruise offers I see either you book the cruise without a drink package or with the premium extra package.

Not in uk market 

On 6/29/2023 at 9:56 AM, smokey01 said:

Check US prices sometimes a bit cheaper with easy plus but does not include service

MSC VIRTUOSA 7nts 24th June 23 France & Spain

It’s very busy, with most out on deck it is difficult to find a “spot” that you can relax by the pool. Be patient and you will. The waiters are highly trained in avoiding eye contact and drinks service is quite slow, but on deck there is a bar by the pool specifically where you can queue for a drink rather than waiting.

That said, the staff work extremely hard, day and night. The slow service is purely down to the lack of staff and NOT the staff themselves. Having been on most other major lines and observed, these waiters do not stand and chat or collect the odd glass or two and deliver the odd drink, their trays are constantly full with either full or empty glasses, up to 14 hours a day. They are work horses and MSC are flogging them. There are also pop up bars for those who want red, white, Heineken or a can of Sprite Coke or Fanta. Cocktail making is a process and it’s these that slow the service as they are made to order.

Food is always available. I cannot understand those who complain and would like to know what they have at home. The MDR food is fine, it’s an Italian ship, Fish and Pasta are always on the menu in some form, as is chicken, everyday there is a red meat, be it lamb, beef or pork. Portion size has increased and compares favourably with all other cruise lines. Starters are larger too, most with lettuce come piled high and the prawns are large and do sometimes come whole.

The ship is spotless, until late night and then some bathrooms become reminiscent of nightclub toilets of the 1990’s. There doesn’t seem to be enough bathrooms for the number of passengers during the evening, with queues for both gents and ladies at peak times.

The cabins are clean, they each have a switch with either DND or clean my room, so no more paper door signs to remember. No shower curtains, a glass fronted shower with shampoo and shower gel.

Beds are so comfortable, I heard lots of people saying what a good nights sleep they have had.

The venues are great for the most part, shows are fabulous and not GCSE standard like P&O or RCCI. The Master of the Seas “pub” is much smaller than I expected, with there being an overflow onto the promenade out front. I expected there to be quizzes and game shows here, but the venue is far too small, it’s often a singer or a duo playing in cramped conditions, nothing like Brodies for example on the P&O ships. They hold nightly music quizzes, bingo and karaoke in the TV Studio bar, between 9pm and midnight, which is OK except there is a struggle for chairs and having the bingo in the middle means that karaoke is often very late starting and a scrum for chairs.

There are no quieter areas during the evening, especially when the next day is a sea day. Every night is party night and that’s where MSC comes into it’s own. The atmosphere is electric, it’s upbeat, people rubbing shoulders with each other, like a little town full of bars where you cross paths and mix with other party people. If you like sophistication, a chilled feel or quiet bars with piano music then perhaps this ship might not be your cup of tea.

I could go on and there are negatives but they are NOT down to this MSC ship. Unfortunately it’s a small minority of passengers that have little regard or respect and don’t know how to behave in society, but you will find that everywhere.

If you like a good night out, bustling, holiday atmosphere this is the ship for you. You may return tired and drained, but you will be eager to book your next cruise. I guarantee it!

• Like 6

On 6/29/2023 at 8:56 AM, smokey01 said:

All of the options we've looked at have no drinks or the PE. Unless you're looking at one of the longer repositioning itineraries. We're just booking the Trieste to Durban repo for October, that doesn't have a drinks option available. 

On 7/9/2023 at 6:26 PM, Tom Baker said:

MSC VIRTUOSA 7nts 24th June 23 France & Spain

It’s very busy, with most out on deck it is difficult to find a “spot” that you can relax by the pool. Be patient and you will. The waiters are highly trained in avoiding eye contact and drinks service is quite slow, but on deck there is a bar by the pool specifically where you can queue for a drink rather than waiting.

That said, the staff work extremely hard, day and night. The slow service is purely down to the lack of staff and NOT the staff themselves. Having been on most other major lines and observed, these waiters do not stand and chat or collect the odd glass or two and deliver the odd drink, their trays are constantly full with either full or empty glasses, up to 14 hours a day. They are work horses and MSC are flogging them. There are also pop up bars for those who want red, white, Heineken or a can of Sprite Coke or Fanta. Cocktail making is a process and it’s these that slow the service as they are made to order.

Food is always available. I cannot understand those who complain and would like to know what they have at home. The MDR food is fine, it’s an Italian ship, Fish and Pasta are always on the menu in some form, as is chicken, everyday there is a red meat, be it lamb, beef or pork. Portion size has increased and compares favourably with all other cruise lines. Starters are larger too, most with lettuce come piled high and the prawns are large and do sometimes come whole.

The ship is spotless, until late night and then some bathrooms become reminiscent of nightclub toilets of the 1990’s. There doesn’t seem to be enough bathrooms for the number of passengers during the evening, with queues for both gents and ladies at peak times.

The cabins are clean, they each have a switch with either DND or clean my room, so no more paper door signs to remember. No shower curtains, a glass fronted shower with shampoo and shower gel.

Beds are so comfortable, I heard lots of people saying what a good nights sleep they have had.

The venues are great for the most part, shows are fabulous and not GCSE standard like P&O or RCCI. The Master of the Seas “pub” is much smaller than I expected, with there being an overflow onto the promenade out front. I expected there to be quizzes and game shows here, but the venue is far too small, it’s often a singer or a duo playing in cramped conditions, nothing like Brodies for example on the P&O ships. They hold nightly music quizzes, bingo and karaoke in the TV Studio bar, between 9pm and midnight, which is OK except there is a struggle for chairs and having the bingo in the middle means that karaoke is often very late starting and a scrum for chairs.

There are no quieter areas during the evening, especially when the next day is a sea day. Every night is party night and that’s where MSC comes into it’s own. The atmosphere is electric, it’s upbeat, people rubbing shoulders with each other, like a little town full of bars where you cross paths and mix with other party people. If you like sophistication, a chilled feel or quiet bars with piano music then perhaps this ship might not be your cup of tea.

I could go on and there are negatives but they are NOT down to this MSC ship. Unfortunately it’s a small minority of passengers that have little regard or respect and don’t know how to behave in society, but you will find that everywhere.

If you like a good night out, bustling, holiday atmosphere this is the ship for you. You may return tired and drained, but you will be eager to book your next cruise. I guarantee it!

We found early evening while shows and dining are happening there were quieter spots but once that last show finished and galleria party that end of the ship was full swing.

Sky lounge was generally ok and more relaxed if you got a seat.

On our trips which were colder horizon bar was a quiet spot till the Attic started.

I like that they keep most of the activity stuff in TV studio or Virtuosa bar  keeps the other venues clear and can focus on the music acts 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - I was looking at booking a 4 night cruise from Venice next April for myself and brother. But now another family member wants to come along. It looks like the pricing is base purely on cabin and there's no single occupancy discount for one person. Does anyone know if there's any way of getting this, seems a bit odd as surely some of the cost must be attributed to the food that two people will consume.

Thanks 

16 hours ago, bluecontrolman said:

Does anyone know if there's any way of getting this, seems a bit odd as surely some of the cost must be attributed to the food that two people will consume.

They also take account of the lost sales from drinks, excursions, speciality restaurants etc....

In the cruising world this is the norm, not odd at all.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Cable3232
On 5/31/2023 at 2:34 PM, ConnieTact said:

I wonder which MSC cruise ship you sailed on and which itinerary? We have found other guests vary from where they are from. Also a newer ship is usually won’t look old.

we’ve tried P&O before but didn’t like the clientele and moved on.

It’s great there is a good choice out there so, something for everyone!

Now the saga is complete I can resurface without the rage....

It was Virtuosa (19 May, 7 nights Fjord cruise) and we had the whirlpool "suite" (front corner) , they were like they transplanted the room from a 12-year-old ship. My friend's cabin (Bella Balcony) was nice and modern.

So ALL my dealing with MSC customer service (and I went through a whole range of customer services employees on and off the ship) had one single goal in mind, to make me go away by grinding me down or misinformation about my concerns offering token compensation for a faulty cabin.

Now for the good news.... Basically they said they would give me £100 refund on a £2k+ cruise and that was it, So I opened a small claims court claim against them and with in 48 hours I they were being more like a customer service department. Then within 2 weeks I had a settlement I wanted and 4 days later it was in my bank account.

I won't consider MSC unless there's a special offer for £500 all-inclusive per person.

But we have a 15 May 2024 cruise to re-do the Fjords book with Celebrity.

FYI - My wife still moans about MSC not cleaning the windows on the ship, They were very dirty.

Above are all my opinions and experiences. I understand other people have had different experiences. Each to their own.

• 1 month later...

I'm looking at booking the Virtuosa cruise sailing from Southampton to Northern Europe in June 2024. Judging by what I've seen on YouTube etc the lack of seating and space especially in the outdoor areas is off putting. Does anyone have any experience of how busy it will be on those cruises from previous experience?

• 1 month later...

I cannot comment on the virtuosa but I have just returned from a trip on euriba Which is essentially a very similar ship and with the Northern Europe itinerary covering Hamburg b Belgium Rotterdam and lahavra

Please forgive the spellings. I am dictating this into my phone

Apparently one of the differences between the ships is the lounge at the back which is a paid entry lounge on the MSC virtuosa and a free entry lounge on the ship we were on

I would suggest that even with the extra seating that we enjoyed in the carousel lounge, at busy times in the evening, finding somewhere to sit with a bit of a challenge, especially on as my personal ideal evening is spent in a quiet bar with a little bit of music. Music just chatting to my travelling partner

Pretty much all of the public areas with seating tender to be rammed after the 6:00 p.m. dining but before the next 

In my experience, however, when you do find somewhere to sit, it is usually in a very spacious area

Our cruise however was in November on the Northern Europe itinerary which very much meant that nobody was sitting out on deck, ever

• 1 month later...

Hi all.

We are taking our first MSC cruise this year and a "Browse & Stream" internet package is being quoted at £140 for 2 weeks. Can anyone with experience advise the following please?

1) How much is the cost onboard if we don't buy a package in advance?

2) I've read that each package is locked to the original device that used it first (so no sharing by logging out on one device and logging in on another). Is this correct?

Any other suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks & best regards.

Damian

Edited by DamianG

22 hours ago, DamianG said:

We are taking our first MSC cruise this year and a "Browse & Stream" internet package is being quoted at £140 for 2 weeks. Can anyone with experience advise the following please?

1) How much is the cost onboard if we don't buy a package in advance?

In general with MSC the package prices are always cheaper in advance.  There are exceptions when for example the speciality restaurant bookings are down so they have a promotion mid-cruise, but you cannot depend on those.

With the internet packages if you need it for the whole cruise it is most likely going to be cheaper before you sail.

23 hours ago, DamianG said:

2) I've read that each package is locked to the original device that used it first (so no sharing by logging out on one device and logging in on another). Is this correct?

That is correct, but if you need one device each then there is nothing stopping you from just taking a 2 device package for one person and logging both in on the same account...

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/27/2023 at 3:56 PM, mervous said:

I cannot comment on the virtuosa but I have just returned from a trip on euriba Which is essentially a very similar ship and with the Northern Europe itinerary covering Hamburg b Belgium Rotterdam and lahavra

Please forgive the spellings. I am dictating this into my phone

Apparently one of the differences between the ships is the lounge at the back which is a paid entry lounge on the MSC virtuosa and a free entry lounge on the ship we were on

I would suggest that even with the extra seating that we enjoyed in the carousel lounge, at busy times in the evening, finding somewhere to sit with a bit of a challenge, especially on as my personal ideal evening is spent in a quiet bar with a little bit of music. Music just chatting to my travelling partner

Pretty much all of the public areas with seating tender to be rammed after the 6:00 p.m. dining but before the next 

In my experience, however, when you do find somewhere to sit, it is usually in a very spacious area

Our cruise however was in November on the Northern Europe itinerary which very much meant that nobody was sitting out on deck, ever

Hi, we are joining the Euriba on 2nd Feb '24 and would like to know if the currency in the casino is pounds or Euro's ?? Thank you 

On 1/26/2024 at 4:37 PM, bluecontrolman said:

Quick one.

We're sailing in April and I believe the final balance is due next month. I can't find an option to pay this on the website - I assume they just send an email with a payment link?

Thanks

The website is very unreliable, just phone up and pay, I do not recall ever seeing a payment link in an email and even if I did I would never use it due to the obvious risks associated with that approach...

We paid by phone a few weeks ago, it was quick and simple.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2024 at 11:06 PM, Mark_T said:

The website is very unreliable, just phone up and pay, I do not recall ever seeing a payment link in an email and even if I did I would never use it due to the obvious risks associated with that approach...

We paid by phone a few weeks ago, it was quick and simple.

Cheers. I will do. Just odd that there isn't a way to do it on the website - most places are trying to cut down on customer service staff. 

I paid my deposit via a link, so I just assumed that was their process.

3 hours ago, bluecontrolman said:

Cheers. I will do. Just odd that there isn't a way to do it on the website - most places are trying to cut down on customer service staff. 

Usually there is a way to pay it from the website, but that vanished a while ago for me, and hasn't yet reappeared.

3 hours ago, bluecontrolman said:

I rang up and they just sent me another link to pay. All done.

Strangely though, the window the link sent me to said that my payment was due on 2 December 2024 . . . .

Dec 2024?!?! When is your cruise?