******MSC - UK CRUISERS ***

Host Carolyn

Guest Cable3232

I have been eyeing this cruise for Sep '24, but waiting to see what specials pop up. 

I am sure someone will be along shortly to give you some advice or comments.

Booked MSC Virtuosa sailing from Southampton July 1st.  It will be our first cruise with MSC, usually sail Cunard or Celebrity, have also cruised with Princess and Royal.  Decided on this cruise as a break before summer holidays with our grandsons.  Having read a lot of comments,  wondering if we have made a mistake, as many contributors to the MSC board here have such awful experiences.  Only managed to get my DH to agree to go as we have booked into the Yacht Club, which seems to be at a similar level as grills on Cunard or Retreat on Celebrity.  Just keeping fingers crossed our trip will not be anything like the experiences some have had.    Though I appreciate you tend to read about complaints more often than not on these forums.  Any comments greatly appreciated! 

Guest Cable3232

I am not a fan of Celebrity Retreat as it is not worth the money, and the quality is below my expectation. But from what people have said about the Yacht Club, it seems to be good and most of US patrons swear by it. 

Next weeks cruise on MSC was supposed to be a non-frills version (with in reason) but I may have got excited after the booking and change a few things.

Cruise companies are like friends. Some you like more than others and there are close friends that other people can't stand. The point is, you like the people you like and that is the important thing, so try MSC and maybe you like or maybe you don't. So if you don't try it you won't know.

MSC offers a "resort" style of cruising and it not trying for ultra-luxury (even in YC), and the prices reflect this. 

On 5/12/2023 at 11:04 AM, Cable3232 said:

MSC offers a "resort" style of cruising and it not trying for ultra-luxury (even in YC), and the prices reflect this. 

Yes, spot on the money. I'm trying to persuade my wife to do the 14 nts Virtuosa trip out of Southampton on 3rd june, which includes Rekyavik and Flam. It's £699 pp inside cabin. That's £50 pp per night !! 🛳️

• Like 1

Guest Cable3232
12 hours ago, Bertie Doe said:

Yes, spot on the money. I'm trying to persuade my wife to do the 14 nts Virtuosa trip out of Southampton on 3rd june, which includes Rekyavik and Flam. It's £699 pp inside cabin. That's £50 pp per night !! 🛳️

We doing the Norway cruise tomorrow for 7 nights and the cheapest I have seen it for is £700 pp so getting 14 nights for that price that is a bargain. 

Also looks like some Fjords will have limited access (zero emission rule) (Flam is one of them) from 2025/26 so better get sailing or pay a fortune later.

I am trying to convince my wife that an inside cabin is a good idea, but she is not buying the no fresh air idea. I love the darkness for sleeping. So we might see if I can view one on the cruise to win her over.

12 minutes ago, Cable3232 said:

We doing the Norway cruise tomorrow for 7 nights and the cheapest I have seen it for is £700 pp so getting 14 nights for that price that is a bargain. 

Also looks like some Fjords will have limited access (zero emission rule) (Flam is one of them) from 2025/26 so better get sailing or pay a fortune later.

I am trying to convince my wife that an inside cabin is a good idea, but she is not buying the no fresh air idea. I love the darkness for sleeping. So we might see if I can view one on the cruise to win her over.

Tell your wife it never goes dark in summer in the Fjiords so you better pack a lot of pegs to close the gaps in those curtains !! 😄 😆 🤣.  Also have you not explained if you book an inside cabin you can either cruise more or use the savings on other items onboard like a spa treatment... worked on me 😆.  

P.S. showing her an inside cabin on Virtuosa , unless it is in YC, will not win  her over , there isn't any seating except the bed. RCI have sofas, Princess and P&O have a lovely layout but MSC's are big with no additional seating. 

Edited by heatherb1958

Guest Cable3232

The issue is ... I have tried to book an inside cabin but the TA keeps giving us balcony cabins for the same price! Wifie has her eye mask/cover thing and I could sleep in direct sunlight also long as it is cool.

Also with the amount she is packing we may need the extra floor space. 😁

We have 1 more cruise booked with MSC then I want (price dependant) to book with another line.

On another note, we going with the friend who booked through a solo TA, at the price he got his cruise (plus drinks) we may book future cruise  as 2x solo travelers with a joining rooms.

9 hours ago, Cable3232 said:

The glw and I are on this cruise too Cable, let's hope the weather is kind to us 😉

I presume that this is where I comment/view MSC posts.  We haven't cruised in a while, but at the start of May I thought I'm not going to get affordable Travel Insurance soon, so booked a cruise on 3 June MSC Virtuosa without any research except taking the precaution to book a couple of seats on the coach down (the last two and it turns out there's another rail strike on the 3rd)! - and finding someone to look after the dog.

Mixed messages about Virtuosa, but our favorite cruise line was the cheap and exuberant Italian line Costa, so we should cope and the itinerary is attractive.

The site seems to have changed somewhat.  How do you access your old posts and reviews @ 5 years plus ago? 

No other questions really, just trying to get our heads round what to pack for the English Channel, the Scottish Isles, Iceland, Norway and the North Sea in June.  Guess I shall have to accede to DW's suggestion that we take more than 2 suitcases.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.

On 5/9/2023 at 2:57 AM, Cable3232 said:

Everyone has gone on a cruise?? 

And the UK contingent are not as chatty as the other lot

When, to where is your cruise and which ship?

Some quick info on what I have picked up

• 90% of US customers on sail in yacht club, so good luck with listening to that
  • Don't change your booking after last payment unless you like trouble & strife
  • MSC IT/Website is to be desired
  • If you drink, get a drinks package ("easy plus" caters for everyone's taste but go for Prem if the difference is not that much)
  • MSC pickup and drop at every port (excluding certain UK cruises)
  • Certain people judge MSC as if it was 9K per night cruise 

I am sure other people will be along shortly to give their advice.

Curious to know what you mean by “good luck listening to that” when you say 90% of US customers sail yacht club?

13 hours ago, BuckleyBoat said:

Curious to know what you mean by “good luck listening to that” when you say 90% of US customers sail yacht club?

It is not a true representation of MSC if nearly all Americans are cruising only Yacht club so you only have their informed view when you want the views of those who have experience Bella,Fantastica and Aurea . That is my interpretation of the comment .

I don't really like the yacht club vs everything sentiment that comes across sometimes. 

I've not booked Yacht club. I'd rather have multiple cruises rather than just one or two a year in Yacht club. I enjoy the "core" ship experience sufficiently to never feel like I'm missing out on anything.

• Like 2

I've never been in Yacht Club, and to be honest, I've no desire to either.   I am far too nosey, and I want to be at the big pools in the day and the bars where the entertainment is at night.  I'm also not interested in food - so I don't need an elevated experience in that regard.  I am young(ish) and small (ish), so I don't need assistance that someone less mobile might, for example getting a seat in the theatre or needing to avoid a long queue.  

But I think it's great for those who want/need it and can justify the expense.   I wish the denigration of non YC would stop though. 

I do try to remember that if we are talking about North Americans and their preference for YC, perhaps Europe is a "big trip", so they are wanting a splurge and want the best of the best.   For us, a week or 2  around the med is probably something we have done more than a few times, so it's no big deal.  If we miss a day's port  there's always next year for us - or a £40 easyjet return for the day. 

I've been on Virtuosa 5 times since she started up doing those covid trips, and I have always had a great time.   

(disclaimer - I often haven't had a seat in the Virtuosa Lounge, so have had to just find a space on the dance floor 🙂 

• Like 3

Guest Cable3232

It was a joke that on this forum the US cruisers are always YC this, YC that.

I have said that it seems that there is only YC grade on US cruises in other posts. It was tongue and cheak, but should have put a smiley face. 

I am back and I have a few comments on MSC. 

Still letting the thoughts peculate through the grey matter, but MSC cruising was an eye opener both good and bad. 

The question is, was it worth £320pp (last minute deal for inside) or nearly the £2000pp (Aurea whirlpool suite + Prem Drinks) we spent. As there will be different views/experiences for each price point. 

Guest Cable3232

Didnt want to start a whole new thread as this should be short.

MSC (non-YC) is not the cruise line for us, we realised we could have booked on another line and had a better experience for the same price. Maybe YC would have been different.

What we didnt mind too much

1. Lack of staff training or guidance from senior staff

2. Things going in and out of stock on daily basis

3. Getting turfed off the boat at 07:30

What spoilt the both

1. The rude people on board (it was probably the 10% which spoilt it) 

2. The amount of mobility devices (mini-Benidorm)

3. On board customer service (it was like they were trying to grind you down so you went away)

4. Our cabin - Items in the cabin looked old and were not maintained very well (i.e. Whirlpool kept switching on of off the air jets (16 times over a 20min period), temp kept dropping to below 30C)

5. Lack of places to sit (inside) and enjoy the views - Sky lounge is always packed and seating is not that great. 

Things were really liked

1. Hola - Could not speak more highly of it and waiter (Abel) (went twice)

2. Staff (non-senior) - They tried their hardest to do their best with what they had

3. Entertainment staff - Really engaging and a laugh

4. Buffet - Currys they were superb

There is clearly a market for MSC Cruises and people like what they like.

We have now cancelled our back-2-back cruise in Sept and lost the £400 deposit. 

We tried it; we didn't like it; we move on

2 hours ago, Cable3232 said:

Didnt want to start a whole new thread as this should be short.

MSC (non-YC) is not the cruise line for us, we realised we could have booked on another line and had a better experience for the same price. Maybe YC would have been different.

What we didnt mind too much

1. Lack of staff training or guidance from senior staff

2. Things going in and out of stock on daily basis

3. Getting turfed off the boat at 07:30

What spoilt the both

1. The rude people on board (it was probably the 10% which spoilt it) 

2. The amount of mobility devices (mini-Benidorm)

3. On board customer service (it was like they were trying to grind you down so you went away)

4. Our cabin - Items in the cabin looked old and were not maintained very well (i.e. Whirlpool kept switching on of off the air jets (16 times over a 20min period), temp kept dropping to below 30C)

5. Lack of places to sit (inside) and enjoy the views - Sky lounge is always packed and seating is not that great. 

Things were really liked

1. Hola - Could not speak more highly of it and waiter (Abel) (went twice)

2. Staff (non-senior) - They tried their hardest to do their best with what they had

3. Entertainment staff - Really engaging and a laugh

4. Buffet - Currys they were superb

There is clearly a market for MSC Cruises and people like what they like.

We have now cancelled our back-2-back cruise in Sept and lost the £400 deposit. 

We tried it; we didn't like it; we move on

I wonder which MSC cruise ship you sailed on and which itinerary? We have found other guests vary from where they are from. Also a newer ship is usually won’t look old.

we’ve tried P&O before but didn’t like the clientele and moved on.

It’s great there is a good choice out there so, something for everyone!

On 5/11/2023 at 1:12 PM, NanWales said:

Booked MSC Virtuosa sailing from Southampton July 1st.  It will be our first cruise with MSC, usually sail Cunard or Celebrity, have also cruised with Princess and Royal.  Decided on this cruise as a break before summer holidays with our grandsons.  Having read a lot of comments,  wondering if we have made a mistake, as many contributors to the MSC board here have such awful experiences.  Only managed to get my DH to agree to go as we have booked into the Yacht Club, which seems to be at a similar level as grills on Cunard or Retreat on Celebrity.  Just keeping fingers crossed our trip will not be anything like the experiences some have had.    Though I appreciate you tend to read about complaints more often than not on these forums.  Any comments greatly appreciated! 

I sailed on virtuosa YC last October and will sail again on 15th July which is I guess right after your sailing! Our October sailing was first MSC cruise and we liked it so booked this July sailing while on board. My impression about MSC is unique, more european feeling which caters international non-English spoken passangers (more shows that doesn't require language) as well as English speakers. Food also more European compare to american line or english line. I can't compare with cunard or princess, but I prefer to P&O and celebrity and par with Rccl. We are faimily with 2 children so requirement might be slightly different to you, but you are in YC so you will always have  calm place to chill out, away from crowd. YC concierge desk with multiple staffs and having own butler is also helpful. I found it much better than one concierge handling suite guests. Only thing my family didn't like was speciality dining, limited set menu if you buy the dining package, and the food quality was not impressive except for Mexican (especially Japanese restaurant was far below than supermarket sushi).  Hope you enjoy your sailing! 

2 minutes ago, lovetravel1114 said:

I sailed on virtuosa YC last October and will sail again on 15th July which is I guess right after your sailing! Our October sailing was first MSC cruise and we liked it so booked this July sailing while on board. My impression about MSC is unique, more european feeling which caters international non-English spoken passangers (more shows that doesn't require language) as well as English speakers. Food also more European compare to american line or english line. I can't compare with cunard or princess, but I prefer to P&O and celebrity and par with Rccl. We are faimily with 2 children so requirement might be slightly different to you, but you are in YC so you will always have  calm place to chill out, away from crowd. YC concierge desk with multiple staffs and having own butler is also helpful. I found it much better than one concierge handling suite guests. Only thing my family didn't like was speciality dining, limited set menu if you buy the dining package, and the food quality was not impressive except for Mexican (especially Japanese restaurant was far below than supermarket sushi).  Hope you enjoy your sailing! 

One more thing! If you like 'cirque du soleil' type of performance, you must try 2 carousel productions on board. They are like mini version of cirque du soleil. Both are quite similar to each other but I watched both and like them all. Each show was about 15 pounds if you book on board, and 9 pounds if you pre purchase. This is the only show that you need to pay. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, lovetravel1114 said:

One more thing! If you like 'cirque du soleil' type of performance, you must try 2 carousel productions on board. They are like mini version of cirque du soleil. Both are quite similar to each other but I watched both and like them all. Each show was about 15 pounds if you book on board, and 9 pounds if you pre purchase. This is the only show that you need to pay. 

lovetravel1114, thank you for your insight,  started to relax a little in regard to sailing with MSC.   Last few cruises have been with Cunard, and to be honest the prices have gone up to such an extent, it does not feel like the service etc., you receive is worth the higher prices.   Did not realise they had shows like the cirque du soleil, we lived in Montreal for several years, which is the home of Cirque, and were lucky to see quite a few performances during that time, which were amazing.  We are expats, so cruises which offer more international cuisine, and service is something which has been our way of life for many years, my DH loves trying different foods, so more varied the better for him.   You will be able to recognize us disembarking the ship in Southampton, we will be the couple to too much luggage!   One of the benefits of driving down from Wales, no limits on what you can take.  

• Like 1

On 6/6/2023 at 11:36 AM, NanWales said:

One of the benefits of driving down from Wales, no limits on what you can take.  

Not exactly 'no limits' but you'd have to seriously over-pack to go outside the allowance... 🙂

Each guest is limited to checking in:

• two suitcases per person* (not exceeding 90x75x43 cm in size and 23 kg in weight per bag)
  • two pieces of hand luggage per person* (not exceeding 56x45x25 cm in size and 23 kg in weight per bag).

The maximum amount of luggage in each cabin must not exceed 100 kg and/or 8 pieces total for all passengers in the same cabin.
Any piece of luggage exceeding the allowance will not be accepted at Check-In.
Guests exceeding these limits are invited to contact MSC Cruises directly or via their travel agents at the time of booking for information on how to ship luggage in excess separately via freight or cargo, at an additional charge.

Edited by Mark_T

On 6/6/2023 at 10:15 AM, lovetravel1114 said:

Only thing my family didn't like was speciality dining, limited set menu if you buy the dining package, and the food quality was not impressive except for Mexican (especially Japanese restaurant was far below than supermarket sushi).  Hope you enjoy your sailing! 

We just got off Divina, and I'd have to agree with that assessment.

We were in Yacht Club but wanted to try everything the ship had to offer and the Sushi has to be the worst example of its kind I've ever had.

Clearly prepared by someone without a shred of sushi training, and using raw materials that did not look to be of suitable quality for sushi, which is obviously a concern when serving raw fish...

Butcher's Cut was adequate but when you can order filet in Yacht Club restaurant any time you want there is no reason to ever go there...

If not in Yacht Club then to be fair, it is not an expensive choice for the limited menu, but it does fail on minor points like the provision of the multiple 'sauce' options which are all tiny and really should not be presented as sauces. The chimichurri was sadly completely inedible due to a wild excess of vinegar vs olive oil, the resulting mix was far too acid.

When compared to speciality prices on other lines, these were not expensive, but equally not something we would do again regardless of being in Yacht Club or not...

On the ships that have the Mexican option, reports are far more promising.

Although we didn't eat in the Pizza restaurant on Divina we did have one delivered to our suite and it was excellent.

On 5/18/2023 at 8:19 AM, Cable3232 said:

had a break from MSC  catching up the thread..... 

that cruise went down to £340pp  £530 with the drinks around the 7 May

keep an eye on hotukdeals for other bargain cruises. 

1 hour ago, insidecabin said:

had a break from MSC  catching up the thread..... 

that cruise went down to £340pp  £530 with the drinks around the 7 May

keep an eye on hotukdeals for other bargain cruises. 

MSC reduce prices drastically if the cruise is not full, my MIL booked in May for a single balcony cabin and got a price for £399 for a week in the Fjords