Feel Sorry for Ovation and Radiance

Not only can they NOT do New Zealand for next three months, but they can't do Alaska either.  Unless the PVA is turned over for 3 months allowing them to go to Seattle which has its own issues too.

Gee should be interesting.  I mean the FLA and East coast ships might fare better but the Pacific area is gonna really hurt the company.

Feel bad for the Officers and crew and all the passengers who had TA and trips.  Wondering if Australia will allow them to cruise around Australia?

Time will tell.  Take care down under you two great ships that I have been on both.

We are booked on 20th April Ovation cruise from Sydney to Hawaii. Expect this to be cancelled as ship wont be able to cover it's planned itinerary. We had two ports in NZ followed by 3 in Tahiti (Which now has it's own restrictions on cruise ships). Don't even know how Radiance and Ovation would be able to get back to the US ATM with all the port restrictions which will likely be extended.

1 minute ago, tangogulf said:

We are booked on 20th April Ovation cruise from Sydney to Hawaii. Expect this to be cancelled as ship wont be able to cover it's planned itinerary. We had two ports in NZ followed by 3 in Tahiti (Which now has it's own restrictions on cruise ships). Don't even know how Radiance and Ovation would be able to get back to the US ATM with all the port restrictions which will likely be extended.

I know I could just cry. so sad.  But human are important too and hoping things settle down.  

36 minutes ago, tangogulf said:

We are on Radiance and have not heard anything about Tahiti restrictions, only NZ ports.  What about Radiance direct to Hawaii?  🍷

2 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

I was on Radiance 19 years ago (March 26-29, 2001).  She was brand spanking new!

I did both ships in Alaska, one in 2012 and the original Captain of Oasis was on board to take the ship to Australia after my Alaska cruise.  He loves the Radiance Class.

Like I said the pacific area ships are stuck more unless they come to CAL.  At least East coast as more options.  

If Ovation had been one day into New Zealand they could have continued like I see on Cruisemapper the two other non royal ships doing.  Talk about being a day late.

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Not only can they NOT do New Zealand for next three months

Did I miss something about New Zealand? What would that have to do with PVSA?

By the way, PVSA has been suspended in previous times of national emergency. If there is talk of helping "bail out" the cruise industry, temporarily suspending PVSA would certainly be a start.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, publicpersona said:

Did I miss something about New Zealand? What would that have to do with PVSA?

By the way, PVSA has been suspended in previous times of national emergency. If there is talk of helping "bail out" the cruise industry, temporarily suspending PVSA would certainly be a start.

well N Zealand shut down for 3 months their ports but would allow any ship already in one of it's ports to finish.

And the Passenger Vessel Act would help if Ovation could just do Alaska out of Seattle and not stop in Victoria as required.

Then again, it also has to get in and out of Hawaii.   I agree let us get rid of or suspend that stupid act.  It should be rewritten of cruise ships but still remain for the smaller vessels that still need it to stay in business.  

1 minute ago, Oceansaway17 said:

well N Zealand shut down for 3 months their ports but would allow any ship already in one of it's ports to finish.

Ah, OK. So that part unrelated to PVSA. Yeah, I would be will to be that PVSA gets suspended to allow cruise lines to get revenue from repositioning, etc. that will be needed as cruising gradually resumes.

On 3/14/2020 at 8:11 PM, Oceansaway17 said:

Not only can they NOT do New Zealand for next three months, but they can't do Alaska either.  Unless the PVA is turned over for 3 months allowing them to go to Seattle which has its own issues too.

Gee should be interesting.  I mean the FLA and East coast ships might fare better but the Pacific area is gonna really hurt the company.

Feel bad for the Officers and crew and all the passengers who had TA and trips.  Wondering if Australia will allow them to cruise around Australia?

Time will tell.  Take care down under you two great ships that I have been on both.

so far- it is not 3 months- it is thru the end of June so as of July 1, cruising is still open in Canada.  That may of course change at any moment.

44 minutes ago, Robinhill said:

so far- it is not 3 months- it is thru the end of June so as of July 1, cruising is still open in Canada.  That may of course change at any moment.

It is 3 months.

These ships can not go to NZ or Alaska for ALL of APR, MAY and JUNE for both markets combined.

On 3/14/2020 at 8:16 PM, cruisingator2 said:

We may see some of the Alaska bound ships move to Los Angeles and San Diego doing Mexican Riviera cruises until things settle down. 

I thought Royal couldn't do regular California cruises due to some environmental law that would require them to retrofit all the ships in their fleet.

On 3/14/2020 at 10:00 PM, publicpersona said:

Ah, OK. So that part unrelated to PVSA. Yeah, I would be will to be that PVSA gets suspended to allow cruise lines to get revenue from repositioning, etc. that will be needed as cruising gradually resumes.

Hmm, I have Radiance in Mid-June. I wonder if I should proactively change to Seattle, in hopes that the PVSA does get suspended. If nothing else, they can cancel one out of Seattle just as easy as the one out of Vancouver. 

On 3/14/2020 at 5:16 PM, cruisingator2 said:

We may see some of the Alaska bound ships move to Los Angeles and San Diego doing Mexican Riviera cruises until things settle down. 

Maybe, but I think you will see Covid-19  cases explode in Mexico over the next couple of months.  I personally am very wary of Mexico given that their president is in complete denial of the situation.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/15/bolsonaro-amlo-coronavirus-warnings

I liked this twitter comment & cartoon over AMLO's suggestion that people should continue to give hugs 

We booked  a family cruise for Ovation out of Seattle June 5-12 with nonrefundable $500 deposit from Costco. Already paid in full and also purchased travel guard  for this trip. Any suggestions from  super smart CC people?  Is anyone in the same situation?

We canceled July 2020 Alaska Cruise on Radiance already for a Canada/New England Cruise in September 2020 on Adventure of the Seas.

Either way I think we are in trouble. Canada might be the issue in the latter too.

35 minutes ago, oldplayer532 said:

We booked  a family cruise for Ovation out of Seattle June 5-12 with nonrefundable $500 deposit from Costco. Already paid in full and also purchased travel guard  for this trip. Any suggestions from  super smart CC people?  Is anyone in the same situation?

No one here on CC or anywhere in the world has a crystal ball to give you an answer.

You, and everyone else on this forum, need to be patient.

If and when RCL cancel your cruise, then you can get your refund.

I feel there's a 99.99% chance that Royal's sailings will be cancelled until the end of May at the very least, to match the Canada port closures as well as most of the other cruise lines. Have no idea why RCL didn't cancel until end of May like everyone else. As known before Dr. Fauci's/Trump's press conference, the peak of this virus will be hitting North America in the next 4-6 weeks... and hopefully with the "flattening of the curve" things will dissipate in 8-9 weeks if all goes well. 8-9 weeks from today is approx the middle of May. If things don't go well, then this will go further than the middle of May.

You will just have to wait and see.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

No one here on CC or anywhere in the world has a crystal ball to give you an answer.

I feel there's a 99.99% chance that Royal's sailings will be cancelled until the end of May at the very least, to match the Canada port closures as well as most of the other cruise lines. Have no idea why RCL didn't cancel until end of May like everyone else. As known before Dr. Fauci's/Trump's press conference, the peak of this virus will be hitting North America in the next 4-6 weeks... and hopefully with the "flattening of the curve" things will dissipate in 8-9 weeks if all goes well. 8-9 weeks from today is approx the middle of May. If things don't go well, then this will go further than the middle of May.

Well said...

15 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Thank you very much!

don't need a Crystal ball to give advice to "oldplayer532"

we already know that most trips to Alaska on on hold until July 1st.  NOW, if the PVSA is revoked, then Ovation could skip Victoria.

But if things are lifted in the Caribbean by mid May, then you have to decide if you want to move to a Caribbean cruise or try to move your June cruise to an August on Ovation.

I though "oldplayer532" was just asking for advice and in a calm way.  So I provided mine.  good luck.  no need to look for a crystal ball but rather follow the stories and events and see what develops

• Thanks 1

I am scheduled to be on Radiance B2B mid August.  Already worried about that one as well.  Feel bad for the poor pax on those ships right now.  Such a major trip to plan and pay for...and now this.  Not to mention the worry about health issues at the same time.  So very sad.

I am also on Grandeur NE/Canada cruise mid June.  With not being able to go to Canada...guessing that cruise is cancelled soon as well (but have not heard anything yet)..unless they do something with the PVSA.  Hah...yeah right.  And this law came into affect in 1886..wow.  

Edited by island lady

19 hours ago, oldplayer532 said:

We are in the same "boat" 

We also are in this same ship and also booked thru Costco, we also have our round trip airfare purchased.  All I am told is will not be able to go to Alaska so I don't know if that means our trip will be fully refunded or what.  

26 minutes ago, time11130 said:

We are in the same "boat" 

We also are in this same ship and also booked thru Costco, we also have our round trip airfare purchased.  All I am told is will not be able to go to Alaska so I don't know if that means our trip will be fully refunded or what.  

Time will tell. I guess our best option to wait for RC to cancel  that cruise so we have  an option  of 125% FCC  or 100% money back. We haven't purchased air flights yet. And for some reasons I am not in the mood for Alaska right now, especially w/o Victoria which we enjoy a lot a few years back.  Also living 20 min away from Port Everglades  and Port of Miami it's hard  to justify $$$ for airfare, hotels, and cruise  by itself. I just hope they bring Anthem class ship down my road for my personal convenience and curiosity sutisfaction.