Is MS one of the diseases that will keep you from boarding?

Floriduh

Idk, but if I had something not obvious, I personally wouldn't check the box I had a underlying condition. I say nope, no problems here. 

If you are carrying oxygen or needs a sharps container or something obvious.. then you are stuck.

Luckily I dont have health issues I'm aware of, but I think this is to protect carnival later, like that person with diabetes who got quarantined and suing because she went without insulin. It's not to protect you, it's to protect the cruiseline from you suing later. It's up to you.

• Like 1

Not sure if there is a specific illness that can prevent you from boarding. We left last Sunday (returned today). We had the health screening form and temperature checked. From what I can tell no specific illnesses prevented anyone from boarding. You could always call and ask although right now calling is probably nearly impossible. 

Hope this helps. 

1 hour ago, travelling_txgal said:

Not sure if there is a specific illness that can prevent you from boarding. We left last Sunday (returned today). We had the health screening form and temperature checked. From what I can tell no specific illnesses prevented anyone from boarding. You could always call and ask although right now calling is probably nearly impossible. 

Hope this helps. 

You missed the whole if you have lung/kidney/heart diseases , diabetes , require oxygen support or 70 or older  without a fit to sail letter you wouldn't be able to cruise. This was of course before the whole shut down that has happened.

Edited by Sailin_Pirate
  • Like 3

I can't say for sure what Carnival would say, but I will answer from a pharmacy perspective on this one. Most of the things they are asking about are things that require strict medicine regimens or compromise your immune system in some way. I mean, I would add a lot more things to that list (transplant pt & hiv are the one that come to mind first IMO from a medication standpoint). 

Though this is all a moot point now but... 

I don't know what medications your wife takes, nor do I wish you to tell us. But there are MS medications that would cause a compromised immune system. I would strongly suggest your wife speaking to her doctor if/when the time comes to sail again. Again not a doctor here so I won't offer medical advise, and the pharmacy you get any meds filled at will say the same thing. Please don't count on a cruise line agent to know the in's and out of MS, what your wife's medications entail and if she would have serious issues in cruising until after everyone is 90% (nothing is every 100%) sure it is safe for her to sail. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, travelling_txgal said:

Hope this helps. 

Yeah, having problems calling right now.

The Disney World cast members that work in the parks are getting two weeks pay to sit at home. Those of us at the reservation centers are working 12 hour shifts to try and handle all the cancellations.

3 hours ago, Jasalth said:

I can't say for sure what Carnival would say, but I will answer from a pharmacy perspective on this one. Most of the things they are asking about are things that require strict medicine regimens or compromise your immune system in some way. I mean, I would add a lot more things to that list (transplant pt & hiv are the one that come to mind first IMO from a medication standpoint). 

Though this is all a moot point now but... 

I don't know what medications your wife takes, nor do I wish you to tell us. But there are MS medications that would cause a compromised immune system. I would strongly suggest your wife speaking to her doctor if/when the time comes to sail again. Again not a doctor here so I won't offer medical advise, and the pharmacy you get any meds filled at will say the same thing. Please don't count on a cruise line agent to know the in's and out of MS, what your wife's medications entail and if she would have serious issues in cruising until after everyone is 90% (nothing is every 100%) sure it is safe for her to sail. 

This is exactly why I don't know. According to an article from National MS Society some of the drugs suppress the immune system overall. But her particular drug just targets specific areas. And, according to the article, people on these drugs should keep taking them and should follow normal precautions.

I'm sure Carnival won't have this type of knowledge.

Edited by Floriduh

9 hours ago, firefly333 said:

If you are carrying oxygen or needs a sharps container or something obvious.. then you are stuck.

If you need a sharps container then indeed you are stuck. 😁

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Floriduh said:

My wife has Multiple Sclerosis. Since Carnival hasn't put out an official list I guess I'm asking if anyone has contacted them to find out.

Thanks

I think the restrictions were temporary so it is not yet know what the post virus health requirements will be. 

12 hours ago, Floriduh said:

My wife has Multiple Sclerosis. Since Carnival hasn't put out an official list I guess I'm asking if anyone has contacted them to find out.

Thanks

Hi Floriduh ☺️

I've been living with Multiple Sclerosis for 20 years now. I apologize, I can't answer your question, that when Carnival begins to sail again, if Multiple Sclerosis would be on their official list. However I'd like to mention some fairly basic information, but without any medical advice or medical direction. For that, your wife should soley and certainly speak to her neurologist & primary physician.

Having said that & having MS myself, I can safely tell you that for those of us living with this beast of a disease (already have) compromised immune systems. In addition, some of the disease-modifying therapies (medications) can further compromise the immune system as well, leaving us vulnerable to infection.

The immune system works as a defense in fighting diseases or infections. Multiple Sclerosis is an autoimmune disease. This means that the body’s immune system attacks its own body parts, such as tissue or nerves, instead of protecting them as it should. 

My wife & I have been sailing since the 80's. I was diagnosed in 2000 with Multiple Sclerosis. The past 20 years of sailing have been quite challenging in many ways. Physically & mentally. I've gotten many severe colds while cruising, and have taken me weeks post cruise to get back to baseline.

As another member already mentioned, (when in doubt, don't). I believe in that statement fully. In regards to myself, my wife & I are taking a brief hiatus from sailing until the smoke clears. I can't & won't risk it. I've already witnessed 1st hand over the years, far too often, what & how a severe common cold or flu can exacerbate my symptoms; then hospitalized because of it. 

The real bottom line is this. Whatever decisions you & your wife make, be certain to have your wife's neurologist & primary physician play a role in the process.

Happy sailing!! Have a wonderful day!

🌴

• Like 3

We are playing the waiting game.  Scheduled to cruise May 7th, 2020.  Husband is over 70 & has minor COPD .  He does not use oxygen, nor an inhaler regularly.  So we are hoping this virus is contained by May.  But I wish we had info of whether those guidelines would continue after the original 3/16- 3/19 dates.

19 hours ago, Banditswife said:

We are playing the waiting game.  Scheduled to cruise May 7th, 2020.  Husband is over 70 & has minor COPD .  He does not use oxygen, nor an inhaler regularly.  So we are hoping this virus is contained by May.  But I wish we had info of whether those guidelines would continue after the original 3/16- 3/19 dates.

I've heard in multiple places  that they are expecting this virus to peak in the US in late April to early May. If I was over 70 and had a lung disease I wouldn't even consider trying to keep a cruise in May if you can cancel and rebook for later.