ECLIPSE DENIED BY SANTIAGO PORT

Beachin2

28 minutes ago, Beachin2 said:

Since I started this thread, figure I may as well close this out.

It's not over yet. There are still over 200 passengers on the Eclipse that will travel to Alcapulco, Mexico to disembark. My thoughts are still with them, the officers and crew. Thankful Celebrity is leaving nobody behind.

• Like 1

Sorry to relate this, but it is now being reported there WAS a woman onboard with the virus.   There was a phone interview with her stepson in local news this morning; she had been ill for about 5 days, was removed from the ship by ambulance yesterday.    Her diagnosis has been confirmed by Sharp Memorial Hospital.   Here's a link to the article and video:  https://www.kusi.com/family-confirms-passenger-on-cruise-ship-docked-in-san-diego-tests-positive-for-covid-19/

1 hour ago, Gimpy McFarlan said:

It's not over yet. There are still over 200 passengers on the Eclipse that will travel to Alcapulco, Mexico to disembark. My thoughts are still with them, the officers and crew. Thankful Celebrity is leaving nobody behind.

Thanks to Celebrity, Captain and staff onboard  and the Ports that have cooperated!

So sorry there was a sick woman on board. Hoping she does well.

Praying the trip to Acapulco goes okay.. Heard that the HAL ship with possible illness on board may now be headed to Tampa...not wanted in Port Everglades.

All very stressful!

Just got my notice...

Dear Celebrity Eclipse Passenger,

Celebrity Cruises has recently been advised that a person who sailed on Celebrity Eclipse from March 1st through 30th has recently tested positive for COVID-19.  Because you were a passenger on this same voyage, it is possible you were exposed to someone who was sick with COVID-19.

Out of an abundance of caution you should now follow the below procedures for self-isolation.

Stay home for 14 days from the time you returned home from the Celebrity Eclipse and practice social distancing:

1. Take your temperature with a thermometer two times a day and monitor for fever. Also watch for cough or trouble breathing.
  2. Stay home and avoid contact with others. Do not go to work or school.

3. Do not take public transportation, taxis, or ride-shares.

4. Keep your distance from others (about 6 feet or 2 meters).

If you get sick with fever (100.4°F/38°C or higher) or cough in the 14 days after you return from travel, please take the following precautions:
  1. Stay home. Avoid contact with others.
  2. You might have COVID-19; most people are able to recover at home without medical care.
  3. If you have trouble breathing or are worried about your symptoms, call or text a health care provider. Tell them about your recent cruise ship travel and your symptoms.
  4. Call ahead before you go to a doctor’s office or emergency room.

If you need to seek medical care for other reasons, such as dialysis, call ahead to your doctor and tell them about your recent travel on a cruise ship.  

For additional information please visit the CDC website at www.cdc.gov/COVID19

We appreciate your cooperation and understanding. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Celebrity Cruises at 1-844-418-6824 in North America or (316) 554-5961 worldwide.

Sincerely,

Celebrity Cruises

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately, since that ship has been at sea for more than 2 weeks and the original voyage started on March 1, this means that it was circulating on board while everyone innocently thought they were safe.  She cannot be the only one who has it.  And now people are scattering through airports and across the country and to other countries who are unknowingly infected and may be spreading it on their journey and when they get home.

These are unsettling times.  Makes me sad, because some of the best times my family has had together as a family have been on cruises, Celebrity in particular.

My best to everyone who was on board and is still on.

This is not just a case of 'not informing'.    Here's the beginning of a Travel Alert dated March 31, copied from the Celebrity website:  

"CORONAVIRUS HEALTH PROTOCOLS

Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Celebrity Eclipse

We received clearance from port authorities and public health officials to disembark our guests and return them safely to their homes. No guests or crew members reported with symptoms throughout the sailing, and guests are going through exit health screenings when they leave the ship. We remain in continuous contact with public health authorities and appreciate their guidance to protect the well-being of our guests and crew."

That's absolutely false according to the current reports and the woman's stepson; apparently she had been quite ill and was being treated onboard for about 5 days.   It sure sounds like neither onboard passengers nor San Diego port and health authorities were told the truth by Celebrity.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Based on how dissembling X has been regarding positives on several of their ships, they've shot their credibility in my book.  I expect they did this so they wouldn't be another Zaandam, stuck out at sea with no port open to them.  It's horrible either way.  BTW, I think I read that the rescue ship Rotterdam now has a positive case.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Kartgv said:

"CORONAVIRUS HEALTH PROTOCOLS

Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Celebrity Eclipse

"No guests or crew members reported with symptoms throughout the sailing, and guests are going through exit health screenings when they leave the ship". 

Something is just NOT adding up here.  It's been reported that she was treated on the ship, and tentatively diagnosed with bronchitis. With her symptoms closely mimicking those of Covid-19, how could she pass the "exit health screening"??

Q.  What did Celebrity know, and when did they know it?

Q.  Were the County of San Diego health authorities given access to the ship's medical records?

Inquiring minds want to know...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"News of the three crew members testing positive was announced by county officials later in the day. Dr. Eric McDonald, the county's medical director of epidemiology said the passenger was medically evacuated on Monday morning with cardiac and respiratory complaints. He said the patient was transported using precautions for spreading COVID-19 and later tested positive. McDonald said as of Wednesday the patient remained hospitalized in serious condition. 

McDonald said three crew members who had been isolated on the ship with respiratory symptoms were tested positive for the virus. 

On Monday, when the ship docked port officials said no one on board had any signs or symptoms of any illness."

https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/patient-on-celebrity-eclipse-cruise-ship-tests-positive-for-covid-19-san-diego/509-f0d5eda7-dfd2-483f-a2f2-cee8b92d5b13

Edited by arabrab

Having very good friends that just arrived back to their ranch outside Austin, I reached out to see how they were doing.  They are feeling fine and self quarantining (glad they are a bit remote).  Is there any information on which positions those crew members that have contracted the virus worked?

37 minutes ago, baabtx said:

Having very good friends that just arrived back to their ranch outside Austin, I reached out to see how they were doing.  They are feeling fine and self quarantining (glad they are a bit remote).  Is there any information on which positions those crew members that have contracted the virus worked?

That article does not say. Perhaps there is more in the San Diego Union? I hope your friends continue to be fine.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, julia said:

Something is just NOT adding up here.  It's been reported that she was treated on the ship, and tentatively diagnosed with bronchitis. With her symptoms closely mimicking those of Covid-19, how could she pass the "exit health screening"??

Q.  What did Celebrity know, and when did they know it?

Q.  Were the County of San Diego health authorities given access to the ship's medical records?

Inquiring minds want to know...

The ship's medical staff were convinced/wanted to believe it was bronchitis and was not a reportable symptom of coronavirus?  Maybe they felt confused as to what is and is not a symptom of cornoavirus and didn't want to risk delaying their ability to dock again after being refused at other ports over what they hoped was bronchitis.

Damn just when you thought, one ship and port got it right. I hope that the Government of Canada has this in hand. Our entry points for international flights are limited and all passengers a required to self isolate for 14 days. unfortunately I wonder if there were none cruisers on that flight. I was so pleased that San Diego did the proper thing and let the ship dock, I just wish the got the tests would have been done before everyone scattered basically Ruby Princess north. Sigh, glad the passengers are safe, hope the remaining group going to Acapulco to disembark in Mexico will be able to get off. I'm a little concerned with the apparent deception about the medivaced patient. From the warm welcomes all these ships have received around the world I can understand a bit, That being said when they were alongside they could have dealt with the situation better.

• Like 2

Appears we were continually lied to and X allowed exposed passengers to disperse around thhe globe.  Has this cross the line to criminal negligence?  Allowing suspected exposed passengers to disperse across the globe in a pandemic?

To the port of San Diego - don't let that ship leave until things are squared away, but guard it.

Should they even bother departing to Mexico at this point? How likely are they going to allowed to port and release the remaining passengers vs ending up stranded at sea for an unknown number of days?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Damn just when you thought, one ship and port got it right. I hope that the Government of Canada has this in hand. Our entry points for international flights are limited and all passengers a required to self isolate for 14 days. unfortunately I wonder if there were none cruisers on that flight. I was so pleased that San Diego did the proper thing and let the ship dock, I just wish the got the tests would have been done before everyone scattered basically Ruby Princess north. Sigh, glad the passengers are safe, hope the remaining group going to Acapulco to disembark in Mexico will be able to get off. I'm a little concerned with the apparent deception about the medivaced patient. From the warm welcomes all these ships have received around the world I can understand a bit, That being said when they were alongside they could have dealt with the situation better.

Canada concerned me the other day as I was viewing Flightradar24, it showed 5 passenger flights arriving from China.  I'm terribly surprised that Vancouver has not become a hot spot.

• Like 1

And all of the passengers dispersed, air crews and airport workers exposed, cab drivers, etc.  Unbelievable.  I can’t understand why they didn’t remove the I’ll passenger, have them tested while keeping the rest of the passengers on board.