Carnival Fascination or Vista

billymarksfbc

My wife and I are going on Our 20 anniversary trip. Originally we were going on the fascination with ocean view, out of San Juan, PR and going to st Thomas , st marten, st Kitts, st Lucia and Barbados. I was excited for those ports and we love San Juan. Never been to these ports. Now we are rescheduling for May. We can do the same thing or switch to the Vista out of Galveston to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. Been to Cozumel. Not a fan of western carr. Wanted something new. My wife and I have only gone on 1 cruise and liked the fun things to do and sea days. I realize we lose that on fascination but we love the ports. Thoughts?! 

• Like 1

We just had to cancel our 20th anniversary trip on the Freedom Eastern Caribbean for April 11, and rescheduled for the Vista Western Caribbean for February 2021.  If it's all about the ports, keep searching for what looks best for you.  If the ship is important....We'd take the Vista.  But that's just us.  We love the layout, multiple dining options and things to do onboard.  I hope you find the right itinerary, ship and a great deal!  P.S. We love the sea days!

• Like 1

We did the Fascination 2 years ago and because of so many ports did not miss the offerings of the bigger ship.  Definitely look for another cruise that hits those ports because they are way better than Western Caribbean.  We have been to St Kitts twice and did the train ride the first time and an island tour the next.  If I didn’t.love cruising so much I would stay there for a week.

12 hours ago, billymarksfbc said:

My wife and I are going on Our 20 anniversary trip. Originally we were going on the fascination with ocean view, out of San Juan, PR and going to st Thomas , st marten, st Kitts, st Lucia and Barbados. I was excited for those ports and we love San Juan. Never been to these ports. Now we are rescheduling for May. We can do the same thing or switch to the Vista out of Galveston to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. Been to Cozumel. Not a fan of western carr. Wanted something new. My wife and I have only gone on 1 cruise and liked the fun things to do and sea days. I realize we lose that on fascination but we love the ports. Thoughts?! 

Are you talking about May 2020 or May 2021? I wouldn’t book a cruise in May 2020 since odds are really good cruise lines will still be shutdown. 

Depends what type of trip you are looking for. I've been on the Fascination, and it was one of the best itineraries. I love port days, and had a blast each day. The ship is old and boring to me though. I still have fun on it, but the ship is not my first choice.

Some people hate the Vista because of its newer design. However, there is undoubtedly a lot more choice on it. More restaurants. More venues. Some people will never go back once they've tried havana. For me, I'd rather have more port days than more sea days. I actually really enjoy Cozumel. Grand Cayman is great too. I can do without Jamaica.

Based on itinerary, Id do the Fascination. No comparison.

BIG difference in the ships. There is so much island time on the Fascination that we didnt even have an issue with it being smaller or older. Though we do prefer smaller ships too.

We just returned from our 4th sailing on the Fascination to the Southern Caribbean.  We sail for the ports, not the ship.  We prefer port days to sea days.  You will only have one sea day on the Fascination.  There will be enough to do for that one day.  If the ship and all the bells and whistles of the new ships is important to you, choose the Vista.  If you prefer not standing or waiting in line for anything, easy embarkation and disembarkation, being able to walk into a production show or comedy show ten minutes before the show starts, pick the Fascination.  If the ports are important, pick the Fascination.  I am not a big fan of tendering, especially on larger ships, so we would not pick Grand Cayman.  Cozumel is good, but Jamaica is not.  So much to decide, have fun which ever you choose!

• Like 2

On 3/15/2020 at 6:55 PM, billymarksfbc said:

https://www.caymancompass.com/2020/03/14/breaking-schools-close-cruise-ships-banned-to-prevent-coronavirus-spread/

Grand Cayman has banned ALL cruise ships until at least mid May.

On 3/16/2020 at 11:46 AM, billymarksfbc said:

Thanks so much. This makes me feel so good about our decision! The Fascination it is. 

We were supposed to be on Magic right now so when we were looking for a cruise to reschedule, it was down to the Vista (Roatan/Belize/Cozumel) or Fascination for June.  We did this southern itinerary out of San Juan one time years ago and loved it. We cruise a lot and it's nice to be able to go to different islands. I prefer port to sea days and love just having one sea day at the end. It was nice to just relax and do nothing on that last day. We've wanted to go again for a long time but airfare was always so expensive for us to get to San Juan. It's super cheap right now though!  We were on Vista last March and I wasn't really a fan of all the crowds. So we just booked Fascination today. Now we've got our fingers crossed that social distancing works and everything is back up and running by June!

Fascination was my first Carnival ship. It was way too small and I stayed seasick the whole cruise. However that cruise out of San Juan was one of our best vacations ever! See my review in my tag line. Someone mentioned the St Kitts train ride. That was the whole reasone we went because hubby loves trains. It was well worth it!!! We loved that cruise and always talk about doing it again. If ship is important - Vista. If ports are important - then the San Juan itin.

Edited by ricew001
added info

I was also torn between these two ships but I wanted a port intensive cruise because while others get off in Port I would rather sit on a half empty ship!! In the end we picked Vista for the Family Harbor Suite, we have 3 small kids and it made more sense for them.

I would choose Vista, just because there are so many dining options available.

I enjoy great food experiences (and the extra cost is not an issue).

David

I have been on the Horizon and hope to be on the Panorama in mid-May.

On 3/15/2020 at 7:55 PM, billymarksfbc said:

I’m so glad you asked about this- I’ve enjoyed reading all the responses. We are booked on the Radiance out of NYC on 6/29 to San Juan, Saint Maarten, St. Thomas, and Grand Turks (already been there). I am still excited to go on this cruise, but starting to feel worried we won’t get there and looking at back up plans. I would really love to get out west some day to cruise the Mexican Riviera- but airfare is (usually a killjoy). That said, I’ve been VERY interested in ALL those beautiful ports out of San Juan. I was worried about the Fascination though. It’s mind over matter- I can talk myself right into that! 

I did this Fascination itinerary almost 2 years ago.  I think this was my favorite cruise.  I enjoyed spending the night before embarkation at a hotel near the port.  Old San Juan is awesome and a lot to do.  San Juan has easy embarkation/debarkation.  There is great shopping near the port for pharmacy items and wine.  The ship is small but still a lot to do and good updates with a great crew and it was very clean.  I did miss not having the steakhouse but you can get the steakhouse selections in the dining room.  The ports, especially St. Lucia are all great.  I look forward to doing this itinerary again someday.

On 3/16/2020 at 9:04 AM, Joebucks said:

I've been on the Fascination, and it was one of the best itineraries.

I love port days, and had a blast each day.

The ship is old and boring to me though.

I still have fun on it, but the ship is not my first choice.

The ship is definitely my first choice:

ship is another destination, in addition to all the cool ports of call!

I spend 18 hrs. a day on the ship.
I spend only 6 hrs. a day going ashore. Now which is more important?

- The Ship!!

This is why me paying Bds. $ 4,000 (USD 2K)

to board Old & Boring Fascination at Barbados ..bugs my axx.

Don't mind paying that kinda bux to cruise something like Valor or Liberty
but not.............

And as for those lifeboats up on top deck.... Dear God!

Best thing about Fascination is Her, if She's still the CD

Carnival Fascination CD.jpg