EU proposes ban on non-essential incoming foreign travel for 30 days

JOHN474

11 minutes ago, JOHN474 said:

I would expect this becomes final today.  TA's will have no place to go in Europe.  Will Celebrity then cancel all European cruises, for the season?

They won’t cancel them, just delay. It’s only a 30 day ban.

4 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Even if they have ships in Europe, do you really want to cruise from Spanish and Italian ports?  I also suspect that places in Norway and the Baltic will keep there ports closed to protect themselves.  I have no idea how the cruise industry is going to restart.  We need to remember it's not all up to the cruise lines, the ports have to reopen and I don't see islands in the Caribbean opening any time soon.

20 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

21 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

I am sure they will extend the ban after it is approved. Europe is not expected to peak for 4-8 weeks.

I agree, how can you have a European cruise, without stops in Europe?

Now I wish I had not cancelled my 5  European cruises, .... would have preferred Celebrity cancelled the cruises, so I got 100 % refund to CC. Now that sounds increasingly more likely, that Celebrity will cancel all European cruises and the TA's that go there.

3 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Even if they have ships in Europe, do you really want to cruise from Spanish and Italian ports?  I also suspect that places in Norway and the Baltic will keep there ports closed to protect themselves.  I have no idea how the cruise industry is going to restart.  We need to remember it's not all up to the cruise lines, the ports have to reopen and I don't see islands in the Caribbean opening any time soon.

Yes, but the Europe cruising season lasts through October. If this lasts until June as someone else said here, or even July, that would still be 3-4 months of cruising and they would deploy at least a few of the ships. Maybe we’ll see a couple of them stay in drydock until the Caribbean season starts.

2 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Yes, but the Europe cruising season lasts through October. If this lasts until June as someone else said here, or even July, that would still be 3-4 months of cruising and they would deploy at least a few of the ships. Maybe we’ll see a couple of them stay in drydock until the Caribbean season starts.

It may be June or July here, but containments efforts in Europe don't seem to be as comprehensive so I would expect things to last longer in Europe.   I don't think anyone has a crystal ball for this issue.  If it were me, I would be cancelling any cruise I have late in the summer and I expect many to do the same.  In addition, I'm not sure how many people could get to Europe.  For these and other reasons, I expect that bookings will disappear for the European sailings later this summer.   So I'm not sure it makes sense to move ships to Europe.  

I'm not sure there are any good answers for the current cruise situation.

14 minutes ago, villauk said:

Agreed. Our peak isn’t supposedly due for another 4 weeks.

Very sobering thought.  It is hard to process that this is the EARLY DAYS of this evil virus when it has already totally capsized the world as we know it.  

There is no way on earth that this crisis in Europe will be over in 30 days. Not even 3 months. 

Self isolation is about trying to contain it not trying to stop it. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 1

Coronavirus outbreak could last until next spring and hospitalise 7.9 million, says leaked Public Health England document

The figures in the leaked document used "reasonable worse-case scenario figures".

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-phe-document-says-7-9-million-britons-could-be-hospitalised-11958143

A month ago I was planning what to do on our cruise  at the end of May.  Now I'm wondering how we'll manage work/day to day practicalities.  

21 hours ago, JOHN474 said:

I would expect this becomes final today.  TA's will have no place to go in Europe.  Will Celebrity then cancel all European cruises, for the season?

They have no place to go now.  Later in the summer?  Who knows?!

17 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

If it were me, I would be cancelling any cruise I have late in the summer and I expect many to do the same.  In addition, I'm not sure how many people could get to Europe. 

I have a Med cruise in July and you better believe I am NOT canceling.  I'd rather wait for X to cancel as the refund/credit terms are more favorable if they cancel than if I cancel.

As for getting to Europe, if planes are flying there again, people can get there.  And there are millions of Europeans who are already there. 🙂

3 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

They have no place to go now.  Later in the summer?  Who knows?!

I have a Med cruise in July and you better believe I am NOT canceling.  I'd rather wait for X to cancel as the refund/credit terms are more favorable if they cancel than if I cancel.

As for getting to Europe, if planes are flying there again, people can get there.  And there are millions of Europeans who are already there. 🙂

Good Luck.  I understand your strategy if you are past final payment, if not I'd take the cash refund now.   I think this summer on a boat for me will be my fishing boat on Lake Erie.  At this point I'm just hoping things will clear up enough for a November cruise out of Baltimore on the Grandeur.

Good Luck with your summer plans.

2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Good Luck.  I understand your strategy if you are past final payment, if not I'd take the cash refund now. 

And if you were in my shoes that would be your choice.  It's not mine.  Our final payment has not been processed but I'm still going to wait.  Either the cruise will be canceled and I'll take my refund then, or things will clear up, the ship will sail, and I'll be on it.

I have no intention of cancelling, or re-scheduling, my October cruise from Southampton. I hope that if Celebrity still see they have many bookings in place in Europe they will make every effort to get the ships over here if the situation allows them to. Fingers crossed that some of the European cruises can proceed.

2 hours ago, laslomas said:

I have no intention of cancelling, or re-scheduling, my October cruise from Southampton. I hope that if Celebrity still see they have many bookings in place in Europe they will make every effort to get the ships over here if the situation allows them to. Fingers crossed that some of the European cruises can proceed.

I'm not really sure it's Celebrity's decision.  Countries will need to open up their ports to cruise ships and the virus needs to subside before cruise lines will want to visit many ports.  My crystal ball doesn't see that happening anytime soon.

Hopefully things will improve that will allow cruise lines to resume operating in Europe.

2 hours ago, laslomas said:

I think if Celebrity wants to know how many people are actually planning to sail on their booked cruises, they would make the offer for taking the CWC option as good as the offer for when they cancel. It would be eye-opening for Celebrity to see how few customers have any intention of getting on a cruise in Europe in April, and are just waiting until X cancels first.

2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I'm not really sure it's Celebrity's decision.  Countries will need to open up their ports to cruise ships and the virus needs to subside before cruise lines will want to visit many ports.  My crystal ball doesn't see that happening anytime soon.

Hopefully things will improve that will allow cruise lines to resume operating in Europe.

I do realise it is not Celebrity's decision, which is why I said 'if the situation allows them to'.

I agree the ports need to be open again and the virus controlled first. I have read several opinions that maybe the ships should just remain Stateside if travel restrictions are lifted later in the year after the scheduled Transatlantic crossings. I hope that would not happen. So I am going to wait hopefully for my October cruise from Southampton.