Encore Cruise Departing (?) 4/12/20

Has anyone spoken to NCL about any potential projections about further cancellations?  We are still scheduled (right now) to depart Miami on the Encore on 4/12, which is the first possible sailing day after the initial 30 day cancellation.  I imagine this cruise will be cancelled as well given the recent CDC recommendations, and I can see that the organization is inundated with all of the cancellations, rescheduling, etc. (I'm sure this just crippling).  

Just reaching out to see if anyone knows or has heard anything or even has any educated guesses...

I, too, am sailing that ship/date and have a fear that NCL will pull that same sneaky BS of cancelling the cruise a day before embarkation.  That way if most pax cancel using that 48 hour "peace of mind"  clause they will "honor" with FCCs versus a refund (within 90 days...) if they cancel the sailing.  I so don't want to go.  But I don't want to cancel to only receive a future cruise credit. I, as most, prefer the cash refund.  Ha.  We'll see.  I am checking these boards every day, two-three-four times a day,  because NCL, naturally, is mute about the subject.  If anyone hears anything, please post!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Valchie said:

I, too, am sailing that ship/date and have a fear that NCL will pull that same sneaky BS of cancelling the cruise a day before embarkation.  That way if most pax cancel using that 48 hour "peace of mind"  clause they will "honor" with FCCs versus a refund (within 90 days...) if they cancel the sailing.  I so don't want to go.  But I don't want to cancel to only receive a future cruise credit. I, as most, prefer the cash refund.  Ha.  We'll see.  I am checking these boards every day, two-three-four times a day,  because NCL, naturally, is mute about the subject.  If anyone hears anything, please post!

Nobody knows what's going to happen tomorrow let alone 4/12.. It probably isn't going to be their decision whether to cancel or not

• Like 1

1 hour ago, micheluvscorgis said:

Has anyone spoken to NCL about any potential projections about further cancellations?  We are still scheduled (right now) to depart Miami on the Encore on 4/12, which is the first possible sailing day after the initial 30 day cancellation.  I imagine this cruise will be cancelled as well given the recent CDC recommendations, and I can see that the organization is inundated with all of the cancellations, rescheduling, etc. (I'm sure this just crippling).  

Just reaching out to see if anyone knows or has heard anything or even has any educated guesses...

I am on the Bliss on Apr 12 and I just got an upgrade today. 

• Haha 1

Im sure they'll extend the cruises suspension for at least one more month. Im also sure they'll wait till the last minute to announce it so most people go with the peace of mind offer so they dont have to refund.

My next cruise is in April 30, sit n wait game for now.

• Like 1

This is such a wild card.  No one knows.  Here in Florida they just extended the school shutdown to mid April.  I would lean no yet the cruise lines have the best lobbyists in the world and would not surprise me if they get the green light to sail.

It won't happen. They'll be sailing empty. Demand for cruise vacations is in the tank. Demand for travel in general is in the tank. People don't want to cruise, and the ports don't want the ships anyway.

Airfare schedules are disrupted. I have a cruise booked but no flights. They've been cancelled. Probably couldn't get back to the US from Rome if I had to. 

2 hours ago, BBlake43 said:

Nobody knows what's going to happen tomorrow let alone 4/12.. It probably isn't going to be their decision whether to cancel or not

No kidding.  I just thought I'd chime in and voice my fear.  I'd rather THEY cancel than me, cuz I'm NOT going.   It's that 48 hour time line that concerns me.

2 hours ago, gayoung said:

I am on the Bliss on Apr 12 and I just got an upgrade today.

Good for you, hope it was free!

1 hour ago, JustAPilot said:

This virus hasn't even peaked yet, do you really want to be on a boat in a few weeks? Airlines are suspending flights left, right and center. 

Nope.  Just want my money back.

• Like 2

I'm on this sailing also.  Going for a wedding that is supposed to take place on St. Thomas on April 15th.  I really don't want to go either.  I want to see my friend get married and that was the only reason I was even going on a cruise in the first place.  I'm sort of done with the whole idea of a cruise.  I MAY do one more Baltic sea cruise next year and only because when I was on the Getaway two years ago I was with an EX and it was awful haha.  So, I may do that solo next year then I will probably never go on a cruise again.  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, micheluvscorgis said:

Anyone you "speak" to at NCL is a minimum wage call center person who can only read the canned messages that come up on their guest services computer screen. And the minimum wage call center person will tell you that there has been no changes to your cruise. It's like asking the counter person at McDonalds when the McRib will be back. 

At this point, NCL is happy with cancellation since they are all non-refundable deposits in their bank account. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Valchie said:

Right?  We were supposed to be leaving San Diego on the 10th and staying in FLL the night before.  48 hour advance won't really cut it for us.  I'm an educator and rescheduling will be tricky...if even it's possible.  As we all are aware, a LOT is up in the air at the moment.  

3 hours ago, blcruising said:

It's not sailing, they just haven't announced it yet.

Can you imagine the publicity of anyone trying to operate a cruise vacation during this craziness. The entire nation is shutting down gradually.

I totally agree...kind of my point.  I have a feeling that they know that this isn't happening but aren't announcing things.  Which puts us in a serious bind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Valchie said:

No kidding.  I just thought I'd chime in and voice my fear.  I'd rather THEY cancel than me, cuz I'm NOT going.   It's that 48 hour time line that concerns me.

Good for you, hope it was free!

Nope.  Just want my money back.

100% agreement here.

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Anyone you "speak" to at NCL is a minimum wage call center person who can only read the canned messages that come up on their guest services computer screen. And the minimum wage call center person will tell you that there has been no changes to your cruise. It's like asking the counter person at McDonalds when the McRib will be back. 

At this point, NCL is happy with cancellation since they are all non-refundable deposits in their bank account. 

Wait, the McRib is coming back?  WooHoo!

1 hour ago, Love my butler said:

Yes.  I am not elderly and in great health.  I have zero fear of Covid-19.

Thankfully, this is why the government will step in and force further cancellations. People will not listen and NCL will happily welcome them onboard. Very sad. Please think of others that may be elderly and not in good health. Don't take the risk of contracting it by traveling and then spreading it to others unintentionally. Healthy and unhealthy people - everyone - needs to do their part to stop the spread of the virus. 

• Like 4

The number of cases in NYC just DOUBLED from over 900 yesterday to over 1800 TODAY. 

TWO Congressman just tested positive. 

People act as if we have no idea what's going to happen. Of course we do,just look what's happening in Italy,Spain, UK. 

Our REPUBLICAN controlled government just approved to send EVERYONE MONEY. I don't think they would have done that if they thought it would just blow over in 2 weeks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, blcruising said:

Thankfully, this is why the government will step in and force further cancellations. People will not listen and NCL will happily welcome them onboard ... Healthy and unhealthy people - everyone - needs to do their part to stop the spread of the virus. 

NYC is in the process of getting the volunteer Medical Reserves Corp members (I'm a member of since mid-2000's) ready to deploy and assist the Dept of Health for this "emergency".   A bio-disaster that "we" as a city is prepared for, but simply do not have access to the full resources needed, as a nationwide/global pandemic.  HCW (medical personnel) are getting infected on the front-line despite the use of "appropriate" PPE that are in short supply (and, IMHO and that of others in the profession - inadequate) 

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2020/03/18/new-york-coronavirus-latest-how-many-cases-in-new-york-city-over-1800

Comments posted on different platforms including here on CC reflecting the ignorance and denials ... it is no different than early Spring breakers enjoying Florida beaches this week, business as usual.  

Not to worry, triage will be done in the beginning but once the field/hospital and ICU system are entirely overwhelmed on a massive scale - the color bags issued will be black - body bags and refrigeration trailers for storage of remains should be the easy ones.   Then, the hash reality will sink in, perhaps.  The Wuhan (eye) doctor that blew the whistle on the virus was infected, 37 years "young" only. 

I can tell you that not all MRC volunteers will be available to respond for a variety of factors, and, in addition, unlike a localized disaster - there are no "mutual aid" coming from elsewhere that we can see.  Under Homeland Security, FEMA's Strategic National Stockpile and the two navy hospital ships with an extra 2,000 beds is like 2 extra safety pins in a giant aquarium tank.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, blcruising said:

Thankfully, this is why the government will step in and force further cancellations. People will not listen and NCL will happily welcome them onboard. Very sad. Please think of others that may be elderly and not in good health. Don't take the risk of contracting it by traveling and then spreading it to others unintentionally. Healthy and unhealthy people - everyone - needs to do their part to stop the spread of the virus. 

If you are elderly or not in good health it is YOUR responsibility to protect yourself.  Trying to blame innocent, healthy people is ridiculous.  Do you preach the same measures for flu prevention that has already killed 10's of thousands of Americans already this season?  I didn't think so.