Alaska cruise date 5-16-2020

picture

i’m totally confused on the cancellation policy from princess cruise lines.

This cruise has not been canceled by the cruise lines yet though I expect it will be.

does anyone know if I cancel this cruise now will I get the money refunded back to my credit card and just the cancellation fees as future cruise credits??

or will I be getting the entire amount back as a future cruise credit??

thank you

I think that the OP is just asking for it to be spelled out in detail, because I myself have a 5/13/20 Alaskan cruise booked.  It is confusing when you refer to original cancellation dates and fees on the original contract and then try to figure out the new dates from the temporary cancellation policy.  Some may not want their money tied up in FCC for future use, but I understand the confusion.  Right now we are at only losing $100/pp deposit for cancellation, and I guess he's wondering if that would be applied to the FCC (as the cancellation fee).  I interpret that yes whatever your cancel fees would be normally they can be transferred to FCC for another time and the rest returned to original form of payment.  Does this make sense?

19 minutes ago, Coral said:

I read this and maybe I’m just slow to understand.

• Princess plans to resume Cruise Operations on May 11, 2020.
  • Cruise with Confidence is extended to cruises sailing through July 31, 2020 (previously May 31, 2020).
  • On these cruises, you can now cancel your vacation up to 48 hours before sailing (previously 72 hours).
  • You will continue to receive a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for the amount of your cancellation fee.
  • when I read this I can see I’m going to get the cancellation fees back in future cruise credit that’s fine but what  about amount I paid for the cruise is that also future cruise credit doesn’t say if I will get it back to my credit card

24 minutes ago, 13cheermom said:

I think that the OP is just asking for it to be spelled out in detail, because I myself have a 5/13/20 Alaskan cruise booked.  It is confusing when you refer to original cancellation dates and fees on the original contract and then try to figure out the new dates from the temporary cancellation policy.  Some may not want their money tied up in FCC for future use, but I understand the confusion.  Right now we are at only losing $100/pp deposit for cancellation, and I guess he's wondering if that would be applied to the FCC (as the cancellation fee).  I interpret that yes whatever your cancel fees would be normally they can be transferred to FCC for another time and the rest returned to original form of payment.  Does this make sense?

Yes, cancellation fees or deposit back and future cruise credit the amount paid to the cruise back on my credit card as long as I cancel 72 hours before we sell correct or how you think it is?

The problem is that final payment for the 5/16/20 cruise has already passed. The only "refund" available is a FCD with an expiration date of 31 December 2021. If you are over 70 you might not be able to use that FCD if the proposed requirement for a "Fit to cruise" letter is adopted and you do not have one of the CDC mentioned conditions. The only way to receive a credit back to your credit card is if Princess Cruise Lines cancels the cruise.

1 hour ago, picture said:

Yes, cancellation fees or deposit back and future cruise credit the amount paid to the cruise back on my credit card as long as I cancel 72 hours before we sell correct or how you think it is?

100% Cash refunds are only available if you cancel before final payment which is 60 days before departure, correct? After that you get only a portion refunded. The rest is applied as an OBC up to 48 hours before departure.

Princess will end up cancelling the Alaska trips.  All ships have to pass thru Canada because of maritime laws.  Canada has barred all cruise ships until July.  So May and June trips will be cancelled by Princess.  They are dealing with cruises around the world for Mar/Apr and will probably start cancelling May cruises in a few weeks

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/canada-bans-large-cruise-ship-arrivals-through-july-1

Edited by AF-1

4 hours ago, picture said:

i’m totally confused on the cancellation policy from princess cruise lines.

This cruise has not been canceled by the cruise lines yet though I expect it will be.

does anyone know if I cancel this cruise now will I get the money refunded back to my credit card and just the cancellation fees as future cruise credits??

or will I be getting the entire amount back as a future cruise credit??

thank you

There is no advantage for you to cancel now. If you do, you get a FCC for the money paid. You can cancel your cruise up to three days before departure for no further penalty. However, if Princess cancels the cruise, you can choose to have either a refund + a FCC or 175% FCC.

If you cancel more tan 57 days out, you will get a full refund minus deposit. We were due to sail on 5/17, so we have until Sunday. 

We’ll do it sooner to allow for anything delaying it, but expecting to get it all back apart from $200, which will be fcc. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Guindalf said:

If you cancel more tan 57 days out, you will get a full refund minus deposit. We were due to sail on 5/17, so we have until Sunday. 

We’ll do it sooner to allow for anything delaying it, but expecting to get it all back apart from $200, which will be fcc. 

One of Princess' statements said:

"Sailings departing between April 4 and May 31: booked guests can cancel by March 31, 2020 receive a Future Cruise Credit for 100% of the cancellation fee amount, and move your booking to any voyage that departs by December 31, 2021."

It appears that the deposit you would lose would be credited as FCC.

Edited by Aus Traveller

10 hours ago, Guindalf said:

Were in the same situation, guess we will go ahead and Also do it now before cut-off date.  Princess will probably put out a notice the day after we do ours offering more FCC. 😂. At this point I just want to move on from all of this. 

We are booked on this cruise.  I just went to Princess website and checked for cabin availability, and there are loads of cabins available in all categories.

We had a cruise booked on Carnival for April 6th - Spring break for the grandkids.  We waited, and Carnival finally cancelled the cruise - we filed for a 100% refund.

We are holding until March 31 and will make a decision.

1.  We are hoping that in the next two weeks, things will have settled down and the virus has run its course.

2.  Princess cancels and we will make a choice then - will move to later in July or Aug or next year.

3.  Cruise is a go and we will go - but with Canada closing its port in Victoria - don't think it will happen

Hubby and I are both over 65, kids don't want us to go, but we would like to go

19 minutes ago, roxievegas said:

1.  We are hoping that in the next two weeks, things will have settled down and the virus has run its course.

Am I reading this right?  I see you are in CA.  Your state is one of the worst hit.  I am no expert, but, there is no way it is going to be settled down and run it's course two weeks from now, anywhere.  Unfortunately, the worst is yet to come!!  I would love to be wrong!

For myself, I have no interest in getting on a cruise ship this year.  I am currently very concerned with people losing their loved ones and the economic impact this is making on many, many people, small businesses, etc.

• Like 1

Based on Princess' updated cancellation policy from two days ago, the March 31 deadline is no longer valid. Today is the 58th day prior to departure, so you need to cancel by tomorrow in order to just get the deposit as FCC; otherwise, if you wait until March 31, you'll only get 50% back.

40 minutes ago, pseudoswede said:

Based on Princess' updated cancellation policy from two days ago, the March 31 deadline is no longer valid. Today is the 58th day prior to departure, so you need to cancel by tomorrow in order to just get the deposit as FCC; otherwise, if you wait until March 31, you'll only get 50% back.

People on this cruise have 2 very clear options:

1. Cancel before end of tomorrow and get their deposit as FCC
  2. Play chicken and hope the cruise is cancelled anytime between now and the sail date, and get 100% refund on everything (including deposit) back to original payment method.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Prolificc said:

People on this cruise have 2 very clear options:

1. Cancel before end of tomorrow and get their deposit as FCC
  2. Play chicken and hope the cruise is cancelled anytime between now and the sail date, and get 100% refund on everything (including deposit) back to original payment method.

Yes I totally agree with above and now the real task is getting thru to someone on the phone and actually getting this done. This will probably be the biggest challenge of all. 

I WAS booked on the Ruby for the 5/16/20 sailing.  I canceled on 3/9/20 (prior to the 57 day cancellation policy where you start loosing some REAL money, it would have occurred on 3/20/20), for me this meant cancellation fees of "PVP and deposit".  I had booked the cruise under a $1 deposit situation, although I actually used FCDs.  

The cancellation fees actually were the cost of the PVP and $2.  Everything else was credited back to the credit card withing 30 hours of the cancellation.  It is irrelevant to me whether or not I ever get the $2 and PVP back as a FCC.

I am only posting this for your information, I am not suggesting any course of action for any of you.

3 hours ago, 13cheermom said:

Were in the same situation, guess we will go ahead and Also do it now before cut-off date.  Princess will probably put out a notice the day after we do ours offering more FCC. 😂. At this point I just want to move on from all of this. 

Probably wise for you to cancel. Just remember if Princess offers some FCC incentive you can't complain - you "just want to move on from all of this."

56 minutes ago, cruising deacon said:

I WAS booked on the Ruby for the 5/16/20 sailing.  I canceled on 3/9/20 (prior to the 57 day cancellation policy where you start loosing some REAL money, it would have occurred on 3/20/20), for me this meant cancellation fees of "PVP and deposit".  I had booked the cruise under a $1 deposit situation, although I actually used FCDs.  

The cancellation fees actually were the cost of the PVP and $2.  Everything else was credited back to the credit card withing 30 hours of the cancellation.  It is irrelevant to me whether or not I ever get the $2 and PVP back as a FCC.

I am only posting this for your information, I am not suggesting any course of action for any of you.

Thank you for this post actually we are on the same sailing and need to do exactly what you said. Just praying that we can get through it all Today on the phone. Appreciate the detailed information!

8 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

Probably wise for you to cancel. Just remember if Princess offers some FCC incentive you can't complain - you "just want to move on from all of this."

Yes I wont complain at all, but it will probably happen once i get it done, lol.

• Haha 1