for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

53 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

With the vaccine, the one thing they haven't determined yet is how long the antibodies last.  I hope it isn't like a Roman Candle - great for a minute, then dies out.  

The discussion I heard today, a doctor said that what we really want are T-cells because antibodies can be short lived. So yes, still more info to come. Your Roman candle analogy is a good one. 

9 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

I do not do doubles. I have several half and single jumps. They are the best part of skating. The newest one I was working on was loop, salchow is my favorite, half flip is my best/most reliable. Spinning drives me crazy and I struggle with it. I was just beginning to make progress when this happened.

I'm a true adult skater. I started at 38 and have been on and off for almost 20 years. I progress very slowly, but I work hard and have fun. I have no illusions of great skills, but most of the time I have fun and work hard. 

Having fun is the whole point, getting exercise & reducing stress are bonuses. Skate on

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

I do not do doubles. I have several half and single jumps. They are the best part of skating. The newest one I was working on was loop, salchow is my favorite, half flip is my best/most reliable. Spinning drives me crazy and I struggle with it. I was just beginning to make progress when this happened.

I'm a true adult skater. I started at 38 and have been on and off for almost 20 years. I progress very slowly, but I work hard and have fun. I have no illusions of great skills, but most of the time I have fun and work hard. 

Brain fog.  I didn't mean doubles.  I meant combos, like your loop & salchow.  TV viewer of skating only.  

Nothing on the agenda today.  I will get out to the market today because we've got snow on the menu for the new few days and today is supposed to be snow-free in the daytime.  I'll just hop over to Whole Foods.  I made an appointment to get my winter tires put on for Monday down in Salt Lake, conveniently near Trader Joe's.  My local place was booked through the 2nd week of December.  So, I'll kill 2 birds with one stone!!   I want the tires on before I start my job again - the road up to the condos is treacherous when it snows (the one thing I do NOT like about working up there).  

• Like 1

Another thing from the Trader Joe's unpaid spokesperson:

If you like eggs and you like tomatoes/tomato sauce, go to the frozen section and pick up a box of Shakshuka!!!!  Shakshuka is a Middle Eastern/upper African dish.  I had it for breakfast in Egypt and Jordan and fell in love.  TJ's is a thick tomato base with spices (not hot, just flavorful spices).  You heat it up in a small skillet and then make 2 little "holes" in the mix and drop an egg in each hole.  cover and wait until the eggs are done as you like.   SOOOOOO Good!  I forgot I had a box left in my freezer.  As I was perusing the fridge for something for lunch, I found it.  In about 10 minutes, I had something that just satisfied me.     We have a place here in town that makes Shakshuka and I love it. Their's is "hot" spicy - I think they use harissa.  But,  the one from TJ's is much more mellow but still yummy.   It's a very different change from the usual stuff I eat and is still good for me. 

I have to start a list on my iPhone of all the things everyone buys from TJ's that I haven't.   I do look at the carb factor, so some unfortunately are off my list now.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lois R said:

It does sound good.

It is good.  My breakfast place that makes it also has an option to add in spicy sausage.  

I'm sure I could make my own tomato base, but it's so easy to pull it out of the freezer and pop in the skillet!  

Dumping snow today.  Not going anywhere.  I found a snow angel yesterday - a kid in the neighborhood, a 5th grader.  He used money he made over the summer to buy a snowblower.  He's going around getting customers to get their driveways done.  So cute.  We all have the same driveway - flat and can hold 2 cars and about the length of a Surburban.  So, not huge.   He's charging a reasonable price.   It takes me about 15 minutes to blow in normal snow.  He'll be getting a workout from all of us today!  He is virtual schooling, so we know he'll be doing this in the afternoons.  I always wanted to hire a neighborhood kid instead of one of the landscape companies.  

OOITD: my fleece hoodie lounging dress.  One of those days!

• Like 2

Purple Hays , I was also a OR nurse . I spent most of my 40 years in the OR with a 10 year stint in Interventional Radiology.

We had ETA go through yesterday .What a storm . The house was shaking . It went over the sea wall a little but no damage .We had rain and awful wind all day yesterday .

• Like 2

Good morning,  we just got rain........but nothing like you had Sally. No shaking of the building

or anything like that. It is still raining this morning too.

Looks like the virus is really getting bad for many states now. Worse than the spring when it

first started☹️

• Like 1

It's a little horrifying to see how cases are going up again all over. Not just in the US. I happened to check some Italian newspapers yesterday (trying to keep up with my Italian.....!) and they are pretty much at ground zero all over again -- hospitals at capacity, many areas shutting things down, etc.

I guess it is a sign of the times that I just ordered two new pair of lounging pajamas as a treat!  Doesn't look like I'll be going out much over the next little while, lol, let alone traveling anywhere.

I still have never found a good mask -- one that fits well and doesn't feel too constricting.  We (son and I) are still using up the original pack of 50 of the surgical masks -- the disposable ones -- that I finally managed to get hold of months ago. But as we run through these, I'd like to get something that is washable/reusable. Anyone have recommendations for someone with a large head that is comfortable AND stylish?  I keep looking at the Johnny Was ones because I like the patterns. Citron also has nice patterns in both silk and cotton blends.

I'm happy to hear that the FL ladies made it throuth ETA, a little battered but OK.  So much other stuff going on that the news didn't keep up with it.  

Cynthia - I've been wearing my Johnny Was masks consistently for months now.  I have a big head, too.  I definitely like the cotton ones better than the silk ones - I just feel like I can breathe easier in them.  Since I'm going back to work, I have to search out a few more.  

Other than owners, it will be interesting to see how many guests we get this year at the condos.   People have to make reservations (!) to ski to limit the numbe of people.  And, I doubt we'll get many international guests this year.  I'm hoping it's going to be mellow so I can settle in as I get my strength back.  

PSA:  I am in NO WAY like any of the Real Housewives of Salt Lake City!!!  Saw the first episode last night. Two of them do live in Park City, but I do not know them.  I'm trying to figure out where all those ladies buy their clothes - I've never seen a store with that stuff in SLC or PC.  At least one PC woman was wearing jeans and a jeans jacket.   I'll say it's an "interesting" mix: a PC Jew, a PC Muslim, 2 SLC Mormons, 1 SLC Evangelical Baptist and 1 SLC excommunicated Mormon.  I did like the opening, though - it showed an aerial shot of Park City and then some of our elk who hang out by the White Barn.  

going nowhere again today.  Maybe I'll get some takeout for dinner.  If I do, I'll pull on a pair of leggings and my fleece jacket.  

Have a good day!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

II still have never found a good mask -- one that fits well and doesn't feel too constricting.  We (son and I) are still using up the original pack of 50 of the surgical masks -- the disposable ones -- that I finally managed to get hold of months ago. But as we run through these, I'd like to get something that is washable/reusable. Anyone have recommendations for someone with a large head that is comfortable AND stylish?  I keep looking at the Johnny Was ones because I like the patterns. Citron also has nice patterns in both silk and cotton blends.

Athleta's aren't terribly stylish, but they fit well and are pretty comfortable and breathable. The pleated ones have a metal strip which is especially good if you wear glasses and over the ear loops. They come five to a a pack. The ones that come three to a pack are also comfortable, but the nose strip isn't nearly as flexible. If I didn't wear glasses, they'd be great too, but I couldn't get tape to seal the top and kept fogging my glasses.  

On 11/10/2020 at 12:40 PM, slidergirl said:

Brain fog.  I didn't mean doubles.  I meant combos, like your loop & salchow.  TV viewer of skating only.  

That's OK, as a tv watcher, I'll forgive you. At least you didn't ask if I can do a triple axel (no, I can't).

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Sailor_Sally said:

Purple Hays , I was also a OR nurse . I spent most of my 40 years in the OR with a 10 year stint in Interventional Radiology.

OR nursing is tough and very specialized. It's also considered the red headed stepchild of nursing.  I'm up to 33 years and just finished my MSN in Nursing Ed, but not sure I want to do that until I find out what the college environment is going to be. I don't like virtual teaching.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PurpleHays said:

Athleta's aren't terribly stylish, but they fit well and are pretty comfortable and breathable. The pleated ones have a metal strip which is especially good if you wear glasses and over the ear loops. They come five to a a pack. The ones that come three to a pack are also comfortable, but the nose strip isn't nearly as flexible. If I didn't wear glasses, they'd be great too, but I couldn't get tape to seal the top and kept fogging my glasses.  

I saw that the Athleta ones were rated well for being comfortable but several people said they were on the small side. I have really high/broad cheekbones and some of the masks I have tried didn't seem to cover as much of my face as I'd like...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I saw that the Athleta ones were rated well for being comfortable but several people said they were on the small side. I have really high/broad cheekbones and some of the masks I have tried didn't seem to cover as much of my face as I'd like...

As long as they cover your mouth (to under your chin) and nose and a little to each side, you're good. They don't actually have to go ear-to-ear. My work masks are probably 2-3 fingerwidths in front of my ears. I can't actually check right now--I'll have to go back to work first. Danged broken arm.

received_717249299084987.jpeg

Edited by PurpleHays
Add photo
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Sailor_Sally said:

We had ETA go through yesterday .What a storm . The house was shaking . It went over the sea wall a little but no damage .We had rain and awful wind all day yesterday .

Glad you’re ok, good no damage

18 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

It's a little horrifying to see how cases are going up again all over. Not just in the US. I happened to check some Italian newspapers yesterday (trying to keep up with my Italian.....!) and they are pretty much at ground zero all over again -- hospitals at capacity, many areas shutting things down, etc.

I guess it is a sign of the times that I just ordered two new pair of lounging pajamas as a treat!  Doesn't look like I'll be going out much over the next little while, lol, let alone traveling anywhere.

I still have never found a good mask -- one that fits well and doesn't feel too constricting.  We (son and I) are still using up the original pack of 50 of the surgical masks -- the disposable ones -- that I finally managed to get hold of months ago. But as we run through these, I'd like to get something that is washable/reusable. Anyone have recommendations for someone with a large head that is comfortable AND stylish?  I keep looking at the Johnny Was ones because I like the patterns. Citron also has nice patterns in both silk and cotton blends.

I really like the masks from bestofeverything.com. $10 with free shipping for orders over $25. They’re made in US & are very comfy. I have several different types, poly that kind of molds to face (I don’t even know it’s on) & some with adjustable toggles on ear straps. Their flag mask is my favorite, silky outside & soft cotton (with a pouch for filters, I use a flat coffee filter) inside. I also have some N95 masks that I got on Amazon (delivered last week), they were reasonably priced. Melody

58 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi again,  I am getting a new dishwasher😀 it is a Whirlpool and hoping to have it delivered

within about 2 weeks.

Hi Lois, Your condo is going to be very different by the time this pandemic is over! You’ve made several nice updates. I still haven’t done anything about my crazy microwave. Still using our back up one but I don’t like that it takes up a lot of counter space. 

Sharon

• Like 2