for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Melody, you meant to say, NOW peppermint mocha LOL😃

All kinds of news happening this morning....looks like Queen Elizabeth's health is really going downhill. The whole family has been called to see her in Scotland. Can you believe she has been on the Throne for 70 years??

And not sure how many of you remember (or watched) CNN in their early years.....Bernie Shaw was at the core of the anchor desk.....Loved him.  He passed away yesterday.  RIP..........

Yes, now!  Fat fingers on phone

Queen Elizabeth has passed away. A lifelong reign, will likely never be seen again. 

It  ended up at 107 late afternoon down in SLC - glad that I was out of there by 1:30!!!  We were 92 up here by my house, according to my car thermometer.  The heat is supposed to break today - up to 83 and then stay upper 70s/low 80s through the weekend.  And, maybe some next Tue/Wed some rain will appear.

TJs - I do have to go down to the Valley to pick up something i bought but didn't have delivered, so i'll try the other TJs to see what they have that the other one did not have, like my coffee.  no pumpkin bagels at the one i went to. 

God Bless Queen Elizabeth and Bernard Shaw.  The Queen had a historic life, from taking over the throne as a very young woman to doing her best to maintain traditions while trying to become modern.   Mr, Shaw - I  remember his reporting of the first night of the first Gulf War.  it was really the first "live as it happens' broadcast which set the stage for our modern reporting.

I received my newsletter from Katie Parla this morning.  She has a few articles published this month.  She also has one on the eater.com website on her 38 essential restaurants in Rome.  Some we know, some may give Cynthia and others some ideas for someplace different to eat.  Katie is the one who turned me onto Armandos and Roscioli and Cassaleto back in the day when chowhound was still around and she would personally answer questions there (before she became a big name in the foodie business).   Thought i'd drop a note on this here.  

OOTD:  jean shorts and another Woolx tank top.  

• Like 1

Here’s the succession for HM Queen Elizabeth. I was surprised at a couple of the names. I thought Andrew had been dropped from the succession. I thought this was a fabulous picture of her. Melody

3696CCCC-8DA1-4E32-9C25-0076A513BCB8.jpeg

• Like 2

Good morning.......Melody, that is a wonderful picture of her and she will be missed.

King Charles.......everyone is used to saying "Prince" and William will be next and his son George follows.

Were you trying to post a list of the succession?

• Like 2

Good morning to all!  Melody, that is a great picture of Queen Elizabeth!  She certainly lived an amazing life and was great queen for the UK. 

Cruise critic has been very strange for me the last few days.  I could read comments but not send, and I discovered this after typing a long post and hitting submit. The post disappeared but did not post.   Very irritating!😂

Kitchen project is still dragging along.  Counter tops have been ordered and could possibly be here next week but I am not holding my breath.  Our designer called yesterday to let us know the construction supervisor  “had to be let go” so he will be bringing the new guy on Monday to introduce us and get him up to speed on our project. So, maybe, things will really get up to speed!  

Sharon, after reading about how you got your mom to move, I would almost consider setting a small kitchen fire if it would get my dad out of his house.😂

It’s great  that your mom is happy in her new home with friends and activities.  That would be so good for my dad but he is a stubborn, old man who won’t discuss it. 

Amazing that all of you are having more heat than we are here on the Space Coast.  Our warmest  temps for the past week have only gotten in the high 80’s and it has seemed almost pleasant at times.  We had a great thunderstorm late afternoon yesterday with gorgeous streaks of lightening out over the ocean.  I love to watch storms like that!   I hope you all start getting some cooler temps!  

Here’s hoping this post makes it!

Sherri🙂

Edited by sjb317
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, slidergirl said:

She also has one on the eater.com website on her 38 essential restaurants in Rome.  Some we know, some may give Cynthia and others some ideas for someplace different to eat.  Katie is the one who turned me onto Armandos and Roscioli and Cassaleto back in the day when chowhound was still around and she would personally answer questions there (before she became a big name in the foodie business).

That write-up is heavy on the pizzerias! Maybe a COVID hangover when everyone wanted comfort food.  You might want to post the article also on that food and wine thread in the Italy forum where I think it would be enjoyed.

Katie is also a Yale grad in art history with an interest in Roman archaeology. She originally tried mining that vein when starting her career but I think was more successful with the food and wine approach. We had several conversations about underground sites in Rome. I always wanted to do a tour with her.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sjb317 said:

Kitchen project is still dragging along.  Counter tops have been ordered and could possibly be here next week but I am not holding my breath.  Our designer called yesterday to let us know the construction supervisor  “had to be let go” so he will be bringing the new guy on Monday to introduce us and get him up to speed on our project. So, maybe, things will really get up to speed!  

I hope so!!!  Nothing is worse than a major project like this that drags on.....

I've been through two professional kitchen renovations and one 'amateur' one (we did it ourselves because we had no money back when we bought our first house, lol).

Now I am starting to look at my condo "basic grade" cabinets and think "hmmm.....wouldn't it be nice to make a few changes?"

😆😱

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning.......Melody, that is a wonderful picture of her and she will be missed.

King Charles.......everyone is used to saying "Prince" and William will be next and his son George follows.

Were you trying to post a list of the succession?

Yes, maybe this took

516FD1E7-6862-4FA1-BE94-A6BB289F0660.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sjb317 said:

Good morning to all!  Melody, that is a great picture of Queen Elizabeth!  She certainly lived an amazing life and was great queen for the UK. 

Cruise critic has been very strange for me the last few days.  I could read comments but not send, and I discovered this after typing a long post and hitting submit. The post disappeared but did not post.   Very irritating!😂

Sharon, after reading about how you got your mom to move, I would almost consider setting a small kitchen fire if it would get my dad out of his house.😂

It’s great  that your mom is happy in her new home with friends and activities.  That would be so good for my dad but he is a stubborn, old man who won’t discuss it. 

Amazing that all of you are having more heat than we are here on the Space Coast.  Our warmest  temps for the past week have only gotten in the high 80’s and it has seemed almost pleasant at times.  We had a great thunderstorm late afternoon yesterday with gorgeous streaks of lightening out over the ocean.  I love to watch storms like that!   I hope you all start getting some cooler temps!  

Here’s hoping this post makes it!

Sherri🙂

Ugh, so hard to get good folks working trades right now. We signed on for a bathroom renovation yesterday. Had to laugh when the guy walked in (5 minutes early). He was the same person that sold us our windows 10 years ago, we instantly all felt comfortable. They don’t use subs, only company employees (shortest time anyone has been there is 15 years & they all own the company. They won’t be able to start until November but it’ll take 3 days max (& that’s with the city inspection). Removing tub to walk-in shower, vanity & commode. Nice military discount & pay in cash discount too. 

Our  heat broke last night!45 degrees cooler today!!  Feels great, I had to find leggings & long sleeved tshirt!!!  Melody 

29 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Ugh, so hard to get good folks working trades right now. We signed on for a bathroom renovation yesterday. Had to laugh when the guy walked in (5 minutes early). He was the same person that sold us our windows 10 years ago, we instantly all felt comfortable. They don’t use subs, only company employees (shortest time anyone has been there is 15 years & they all own the company. They won’t be able to start until November but it’ll take 3 days max (& that’s with the city inspection). Removing tub to walk-in shower, vanity & commode. Nice military discount & pay in cash discount too. 

Our  heat broke last night!45 degrees cooler today!!  Feels great, I had to find leggings & long sleeved tshirt!!!  Melody 

Hi Melody, congrats on getting the remodel! And November is really not that far away🙂. I had my tub removed a few years ago and full shower put in........probably one of the best decisions I have ever made---I cannot recall the last time I ever took a bath.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

That write-up is heavy on the pizzerias! Maybe a COVID hangover when everyone wanted comfort food.  You might want to post the article also on that food and wine thread in the Italy forum where I think it would be enjoyed.

Katie is also a Yale grad in art history with an interest in Roman archaeology. She originally tried mining that vein when starting her career but I think was more successful with the food and wine approach. We had several conversations about underground sites in Rome. I always wanted to do a tour with her.

I always wanted to do a tour with her, too, but my timing was always bad.   

i forgot to post it on our food thread yesterday - will do today.  

Speaking of places to eat;  what about the italian place run by the japanese chef that Stanley had on the Rome show?  i remember you saying you'd like to try that place,

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I hope so!!!  Nothing is worse than a major project like this that drags on.....

I've been through two professional kitchen renovations and one 'amateur' one (we did it ourselves because we had no money back when we bought our first house, lol).

Now I am starting to look at my condo "basic grade" cabinets and think "hmmm.....wouldn't it be nice to make a few changes?"

😆😱

This is our 4th kitchen renovation, 2nd professional one.  Current one is the biggest change which is why we felt we should go with pros.  I have found myself thinking we could have done this ourselves and probably been farther along!  

I said after our last one that I would never do one again but here we are, this is; however, definitely the last time!

Sherri🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, awhfy said:

Big change weather wise!   Good luck with the bathroom renovation, we have two to do after the kitchen is finished but I am thinking we may do it ourself!

Sherri🙂

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sjb317 said:

This is our 4th kitchen renovation, 2nd professional one.  Current one is the biggest change which is why we felt we should go with pros.  I have found myself thinking we could have done this ourselves and probably been farther along!  

I said after our last one that I would never do one again but here we are, this is; however, definitely the last time!

Sherri🙂

Hi Sherri, good morning.........4 renovations? WOW! 

• Like 1

no alarm clock needed today - the road crew and their heavy machinery started work in the neighborhood at the stroke of 7am.  Ugh.  They are re-paving our neighborhood.  

AND, it was 33 degrees when I woke up!  i wondered why i felt cold and added my fleece throw onto my bed in the middle of the night.  i still had my windows open.   

I've had 2 kitchen renovations done over the years.  I would love to do another one to my tiny kitchen, but there's not much to do, other then just changing out the cabinet doors (or painting the existing ones) and buying new appliances (all but the fridge are original and 20 years old).  Unless something dies and needs replacement, it's not very high on my list of to-do things.

Sharon - i mentioned the cow smell partly out of jest.  There was always a scent of something, maybe fertilizer or cow, when i drove through the Valley.  Plus, my SIL's house is across the road from a large dairy farm and has that special 'scent'.  It took me 2 days to get used to it again when i was back for the wedding.  But, it didn't stop me from going over and visiting the cows and calves.  I grew up in town and we had a paper mill - talk about a smell!!!  There were days when you couldn't put your laundry out to dry!!

OOTD.  Since it's only 60 inside the house right now, i've got on my new yellow Laguna Surf Co. hoodie and a pair of joggers.  i'll switch over to shorts when it gets warmer.  It's kind of nice being cool in the house!

• Like 2

Good morning everyone. Well it’s in the 90’s today. Still warm but more tolerable. Actually had a bit of rain this morning. Apparently that hurricane off the coast of Baja did a number on SanDiego and vicinity. Rain also in Riverside county which is inland and east of Orange County. 

Kat, when you went thru’ the Central Valley you probably smelled our air pollution that builds from several sources. Unfortunately it isn’t easy to get the ocean breezes to reach the valley and clear out the air. When we in  Cedar Rapids, IA visiting family, we really notice the odor. It comes from the manufacturing plants there. Much worse than anything we have here.  As for painting your cabinets, we had that done when we redid the kitchen. They were medium dark stained and are now a creamy white. The painters took the doors off and did them separately. They had a crazy looking drying rack that they set up in the garage and hung the doors on the bars after spraying. It’s been 10 years and cabinets look great. Have touched up a few oops spots, that we caused.maybe  3 times over the years.

Sherri, I hope your remodel will go more smoothly and quickly now that a new supervisor is on the job. We had our kitchen redone about 10 tears ago and it all went pretty much according to plan. I guess we were lucky. How are the River Cruise plans coming along? Oct is not far off and I bet you are really ready for a break.

Cynthia, I found your food thread and will be following. I won’t have much to contribute but will be taking notes.

Melody, hope you feel better soon. We have ours scheduled for next week. Just wish I knew for sure how long this one will last. Have read and heard differing opinions but I guess nobody really knows for sure. Sounds like you were fortunate to find a good contractor to work with. 

Lois, when is your next cruise and where will you be going? 

Mr T, I hope your treatment went well and you are feeling ok. 

Since we are no longer under an energy alert I’m going to tackle the laundry, I’ve put off running the dryer and things have piled up. 

Have a good week end everyone.

Sharon

• Like 2

Sherri, I also had a problem posting the above post. It just  disappeared when I hit submit reply. It said I was signed in at the top but at the bottom it was asking me to sign up for an account or sign in.  I went to the too and signed out and then back in. My post then showed up in the box and I was able to submit it. . Crazy!

Hi Sharon🙂.......my next cruise is Oct 22nd sailing out of Quebec down to NYC for 11 nights. It is a "New England itinerary" and hoping the fall will have some beautiful colors up in that neck of the woods.

• Like 4

Just had to share. DS finished the half IronMan 

today. For those not familiar with this competition,  it’s swim(lake), bike and run. I’m guessing that he may be planning to try a full IronMan. He’s competed before (Marathon, Century Ride) but this was his first IronMan. 

• Like 4

Hi everyone,

I am just off to work at a home store .I am working this weekend to help out as I have not been to work after my surgery but am feeling a lot better.It was great to be back yesterday for 5 hours, my radiation went well ,just a little tired.

My Amazon voucher is sitting there waiting to be spent,I see they have Sweaty Betty .

It sounds like you're all bust with renovations, travelling ,getting boosters and watching Ironman!

I have a dress on today and makeup!

My dress is from  my favourite New Zealand designer Juliette Hogan

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Sharon🙂.......my next cruise is Oct 22nd sailing out of Quebec down to NYC for 11 nights. It is a "New England itinerary" and hoping the fall will have some beautiful colors up in that neck of the woods.

Hope you’ll still have good color then. We’ve found Columbus Day is usually peak. You might get good color around Quebec

The Woolx shirt I ordered came yesterday but I didn't have a chance to open the package until today. Have to say I am not impressed. Their "midweight" is heavy, heavier than I want or need, and the color is much duller than the website showed.  (Supposed to be blue-gray but it's sort of a muddy gray....). It's also kind of shapeless.

Oh well, back it goes.