for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

I did go into Urgent Care.  All the tests were negative and the chest Xray was clear and my lungs sounded clear.  The NP said it was most likely one of the various viruses floating around town.  Nothing for my cough because what she offered does not work on me (Tesslon Perles) AND the office indeed does not prescribe opioids or narcotics because of all the drug seekers, I guess.  There is even a sign on the wall at reception that states that.  The NP said to take Zyrtec in the AM, Benedryl in the PM and to do some puffs on my inhaler.  And just tough it out.  

OOTD:  camo cargo pants and a black henley Tshirt.   Red Patagonia because it was very lightly snowing.  

• Like 2

Good morning, Kat, hope you feel better soon.

I am thankful for you gals, for your ears, for your patience, for being here and wishing all of you a Very Happy Thanksgiving.

Snoopy Thanksgiving Cover Photo - Free Thanksgiving Images - Happy  Thanksgiving pic

• Like 4

14 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I did go into Urgent Care.  All the tests were negative and the chest Xray was clear and my lungs sounded clear.  The NP said it was most likely one of the various viruses floating around town.  Nothing for my cough because what she offered does not work on me (Tesslon Perles) AND the office indeed does not prescribe opioids or narcotics because of all the drug seekers, I guess.  There is even a sign on the wall at reception that states that.  The NP said to take Zyrtec in the AM, Benedryl in the PM and to do some puffs on my inhaler.  And just tough it out.  

OOTD:  camo cargo pants and a black henley Tshirt.   Red Patagonia because it was very lightly snowing.  

Feel better. Don’t forget Vicks VapoRub!!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, Kat, hope you feel better soon.

I am thankful for you gals, for your ears, for your patience, for being here and wishing all of you a Very Happy Thanksgiving.

Snoopy Thanksgiving Cover Photo - Free Thanksgiving Images - Happy  Thanksgiving pic

Thankful for you too!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Happy Thanksgiving to all the wonderful US participants in this long-running thread!  I echo Lois -- very thankful to everyone for hanging around and sharing thoughts on everything from elections to the latest food at TJ's. 🤣

I'm just puttering around this morning, enjoying being lazy. DS and I are going out for our Thanksgiving dinner in the afternoon, so not much for me to do other than some tidying up. And dreaming up new condo projects. LOL.

• Like 3

Good morning ladies!

I am thoroughly thankful to have all of you in my life, even if it is just through a thread on CC.  We've been there for each other in good times, bad times and silly times.  And, you help me plan my out-of-control vacations!  And, thankful to CC for allowing a little latitude inside this thread!

It is a TJ's Thanksgiving all the way.  Brined 1/2 turkey breast, stuffing, mashed sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce.  Kind of the traditions today.  Adding in the scalloped potatoes for tomorrow.  I did buy myself a nice little bottle of Pinot Noir to go with the goodies.  

And, the freakin' vacation hamster wheel in my brain won't take the day off!  

• Like 2

Good morning,  Melody, WOW😃...how many people did you have yesterday?  Did I count 7 pies???😮

My dessert was a Mrs Callender's mini apple pie and it was really quite good.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Melody, your line-up of pies reminds me of when I'd go and have Thanksgiving with my friend's family when I was in college (they lived near the uni, and it was too far to go home).  She would have 2 different pecan pies (pecan and chocolate pecan), apple, pumpkin, and at least one "different" one (like coconut cream or key lime). This was for a family of 5 plus me!  

She was a great cook -- my own mother wasn't interested in food -- and she taught me a lot about cooking (including how to make a good tomato sauce and that cooking was something that could be creative and enjoyable).

• Like 1

Hi Cynthia,😃 how was dinner with your son? Did you have a special place that serves Thanksgiving meals? Or just a favorite restaurant?

My Mom was a good cook and I always remember her turkey and stuffing  as the "BEST EVER"......especially the stuffing. OMG.....it always tasted soooooo good. She would buy loaves of bread and let them get stale. Don't ask me how I remember that but I do. There was always mushrooms, celery and ALOT of chopped onions in it. I think the onions are what gave it such a wonderful flavor. And this was way back in the day when she put the stuffing inside the turkey. I know folks say that is not good to do anymore but nothing has happened to me LOL......It was moist and fluffy at the same time.

And we were not a  pumpkin pie family. My Dad was an Apple pie guy and Mom always made it from scratch. Her pie crust? OMG..........flakey.....and delicious.  Back then, if you remember Crisco in that big blue can?  If memory serves, that is the shortening she always used.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Cynthia,😃 how was dinner with your son? Did you have a special place that serves Thanksgiving meals? Or just a favorite restaurant?

My Mom was a good cook and I always remember her turkey and stuffing  as the "BEST EVER"......especially the stuffing. OMG.....it always tasted soooooo good. She would buy loaves of bread and let them get stale. Don't ask me how I remember that but I do. There was always mushrooms, celery and ALOT of chopped onions in it. I think the onions are what gave it such a wonderful flavor. And this was way back in the day when she put the stuffing inside the turkey. I know folks say that is not good to do anymore but nothing has happened to me LOL......It was moist and fluffy at the same time.

And we were not a  pumpkin pie family. My Dad was an Apple pie guy and Mom always made it from scratch. Her pie crust? OMG..........flakey.....and delicious.  Back then, if you remember Crisco in that big blue can?  If memory serves, that is the shortening she always used.

Hi Lois, thanks for asking. We had a wonderful time dining out. This restaurant is a country French place that has been in the area and a local favorite for years. They offer the traditional Thanksgiving meal but also other choices.  We (DS and I) opted for the less traditional options since my sister and I basically make a full-on Thanksgiving meal for Christmas as well. He had the boeuf bourguignon and I had a filet mignon with forestiere sauce (my favorite)!

Oh yes, I am big-time into stuffing (as I've said before, I never met a carb I didn't like). Has to be southern though -- none of this oyster or chestnut nonsense!  Regular bread with sage, celery and onion or cornbread with sausage.... My sister makes the latter and it is delish.

• Like 3

I just googled that Forestiere Sauce............WOW, sounds fabulous😃

Oh, Mom used regular old bread for her stuffing......although I have lived in the South since I am 6, my parents were from a Northern background. Mom never made Cornbread or cornbread stuffing.  I am probably missing a few ingredients but I know it was plain bread. Oh, she never put chestnuts or oysters in it either LOL........

The TJ's Thanksgiving was a success.  That half Turkey breast was tasty, the cornbread stuffing was yummy, the mash potatoes were good (I thought I had bought the sweet potato one, but noooo), and the cranberry sauce good as always.  the Chalk Hill Pinot Noir was just right - not to light and not to heavy.  Next comes White Turkey Chili, I think.  But, I have stuffing and scalloped potatoes for dinner tonight - I'll probably add some Turkey to it for protein.   Stuffing - I grew up with the white bread, egg, onion & celery stuffing in the turkey.  But, I've learned to love the cornbread stuffing.  I am proud of the fact that I've never done a turkey from scratch!  I'd offer to make a boatload of sides, but never the turkey.  TJ's turkey breast is about as close as I get, and it's already cooked.  Just too much pressure and expectations when you cook the turkey, *IMHO*

Watched some World Cup football yesterday.  Wow - the one goal by Brazil was amazing!!  Over his shoulder, then the in air kick!!!   This stuff brings me back to watching football when I was in Germany and Austria for bobsled/skeleton work.  

CNN had a Stanley fest last night, with Season 1 shows.  Made me want to go back again!!!  

Anyone hitting any Black Friday sales???   All I did was pick up some more panties from Pact - I did a trial pair last month and I liked them.  I needed to replace some of my old, worn-out, things.   I had my $50 "Happy Holidays" discount from Sundance, so I used it to buy a sweater that'll work well for work.  And with the 30% off at Athleta, I got the Delancy Moto leggings for work. 

I tweeked my Achilles tendon on my surgically enhanced left leg yesterday.  I do it once in awhile.  So I'm limping around with support sleeve on.  I'm a mess!!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning,  Melody, WOW😃...how many people did you have yesterday?  Did I count 7 pies???😮

My dessert was a Mrs Callender's mini apple pie and it was really quite good.

30 people

On 11/23/2022 at 8:01 AM, awhfy said:

Sharon we leave in 2 weeks (can’t wait to be warm!

Im making pies & tapioca pudding with my 2 grandgirls today 

we also making cranberry honey butter

1 cup butter, softened

1/3 c finely chopped dried cranberries

1/4 cup honey

2 tsp grated honey zest

1/8 tsp kosher salt

in small bowl beat all ingredients until blended. Store in airtight container for up to 2 weeks

delicious on just about everything. Melody 

Should say orange zest 

14 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Melody, I hope you just sat back and relaxed after dinner and everyone else did the clean up😀

I sat with our daughter, daughter’s MIL & SIL & we enjoyed a nice glass of Santa Margarita PInot Grigio while the guys cleaned everything up

• Like 4

I finally made it to Trader Joe's today. Got two of the eggnog yogurts to try. I'm planning to try mixing them with the cinnamon Cheerios that DS talked me into buying (I don't really like them by themselves with milk but maybe this will be a match made in taste bud heaven....?).  I also finally found the chocolate-dipped Bamba -- last bag on the shelf.  And the chocolate peppermint Joe-Joes. Sadly, no olive fougasse...I would've been all over that.

I also got a couple of things to keep in the pantry in case of unexpected holiday guests or events (olives, rosemary nuts, I'm looking at you....), a couple of bottles of wine including a petite Syrah that sounds good on paper and was inexpensive. And I always seem to come home with a bag of scones. The ready-made stock was low on a Saturday afternoon, I guess, but I did pick up one of the white chilis to try. 

• Like 2

the Rosemary nuts are pretty darn good.  I'm snacking on some right now!  I used to buy the blueberry scones but I'm trying my best to keep the carbs down,  

Anyone find any decent Black Friday deals for solo cruisers??  grrrrr - I haven't seen anything.  when those "2nd goes free" come on, I think "why can't I do that myself"???  It's not fair.   I still have Europe on my brain and maybe do a cruise with a land trip.  

59 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

the Rosemary nuts are pretty darn good.  I'm snacking on some right now!  I used to buy the blueberry scones but I'm trying my best to keep the carbs down,  

Anyone find any decent Black Friday deals for solo cruisers??  grrrrr - I haven't seen anything.  when those "2nd goes free" come on, I think "why can't I do that myself"???  It's not fair.   I still have Europe on my brain and maybe do a cruise with a land trip.  

I got the cranberry/orange/nut scones and they are delish with coffee for breakfast, I can confirm. 😉  Speaking of coffee, I've started using my Nespresso machine more frequently as popping down to get one at the local coffee place is getting more pricey by the day. I also found a new Nespresso flavor I really like. (And yes, I have the special bags that let me dispose of the little pods....)

From years of searching for deals as a solo, I've come to the conclusion that solos must be the least desirable demographic to have onboard. Solo supplements -- on the rare occasions they are actually available -- are hardly ever advertised. Sales like the one Celebrity had over the summer where there was zero solo supplement on a number of cruises are like finding a unicorn. 

I usually do a lot of what is, frankly, tedious searching. There are a couple of websites that list "deals" for solo travelers, but I can't name them here because they are travel agencies. Even they don't cover everything. For the cruise lines I like and would consider sailing on, I also go to their website and look at their deals. Sometimes those deals don't get picked up on the high-volume travel websites.  I've also found that with some lines (Azamara is a good example), they tend to give only "last-minute" deals for solos. I look forward to retiring one of these days so I can take advantage, because they do have some good deals and I'm not picky about my cabin.

Some lines have "unadvertised" lowered solo supplements, usually only on inside and OV cabins and/or on longer cruises. The only real way to find them is to do a mock booking.  Yep, tedious.