for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

@slidergirl  Just read your post on the other board -- what timeframe are you looking for?  I can take a quick glance at the two places I know that post good deals for solo cruisers...  timing? length? preferred itinerary or line?

well I was hoping to do a cruise in May or September,  Preferably May.  Don't care where, but finishing in Rome or Naples would be preferable.   The kicker is under $2500.  

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I got the cranberry/orange/nut scones and they are delish with coffee for breakfast, I can confirm. 😉  Speaking of coffee, I've started using my Nespresso machine more frequently as popping down to get one at the local coffee place is getting more pricey by the day. I also found a new Nespresso flavor I really like. (And yes, I have the special bags that let me dispose of the little pods....)

From years of searching for deals as a solo, I've come to the conclusion that solos must be the least desirable demographic to have onboard. Solo supplements -- on the rare occasions they are actually available -- are hardly ever advertised. Sales like the one Celebrity had over the summer where there was zero solo supplement on a number of cruises are like finding a unicorn. 

I usually do a lot of what is, frankly, tedious searching. There are a couple of websites that list "deals" for solo travelers, but I can't name them here because they are travel agencies. Even they don't cover everything. For the cruise lines I like and would consider sailing on, I also go to their website and look at their deals. Sometimes those deals don't get picked up on the high-volume travel websites.  I've also found that with some lines (Azamara is a good example), they tend to give only "last-minute" deals for solos. I look forward to retiring one of these days so I can take advantage, because they do have some good deals and I'm not picky about my cabin.

Some lines have "unadvertised" lowered solo supplements, usually only on inside and OV cabins and/or on longer cruises. The only real way to find them is to do a mock booking.  Yep, tedious.

I have my Capresso machine that grinds the beans right into the basket.  I've had for ages.  If it dies, I'll probably do a Nepresso.

I've been looking at places for something that calls to me for a cruise.  I wish I could call up, like NCL or whoever is offering the "2nd goes free" and say can I have that for just me??  They aren't losing anything on that.   Virgin had an interesting cruise where they overnight in each port.  But, I'd surely feel like a fish outta water on that ship!!   I do those mock bookings all the time and just get depressed.  

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

well I was hoping to do a cruise in May or September,  Preferably May.  Don't care where, but finishing in Rome or Naples would be preferable.   The kicker is under $2500.  

As of now there are not a lot of "deals" listed except for MSC. MSC wouldn't be my favorite line but it is an experience in Europe with a very European-centric passenger group. If you book one of their newer ships (anything with "Sea-" in it, like Seascape, Seaside, Seaview) they are the newest. Also they do offer some good deals for higher level room categories and this is one line where it pays to upgrade if you can because you get better treatment onboard.

The other thing is that many of their cruises are a week with the option of getting on/off at different points along the "circle".  (It has to be 7 days, but you could to Rome to Rome, Naples to Naples, Palermo to Palermo, etc. as an example). So it's a bit different.

There's a May 10 cruise on MSC Seaview out of Rome, 7 days with good solo prices on balconies and even suites for well under your threshold -- as an example. Look around on the MSC site; there are a number of options although it looks like in May they are mainly Western Med (Italy, France, Spain).

On 11/18/2022 at 1:10 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Good to hear from you again. Was wondering what you'd been up to. Is the run-up to Christmas a super busy time for you work-wise?

On 11/18/2022 at 1:26 PM, slidergirl said:

Welcome back Purple!  Hadn't heard from you for awhile.  "Congrats" on the colonoscopy.  None of us like it, but we have to do it.  

On 11/18/2022 at 6:41 PM, Lois R said:

Hi PH, glad the Colonoscopy went well and I agree it is good to see you again😀

Late October to mid January is crazy busy.. Everyone has met their deductibles and out of pocket maxes and want to get that carpal tunnel that's bothered them for twelve years fixed.

Glad the colonoscopy is over. I didn't schedule it far enough out to stress too much about it.  Not thrilled about the repeat in three years because I'm high risk now, but it is what it is.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

As of now there are not a lot of "deals" listed except for MSC. MSC wouldn't be my favorite line but it is an experience in Europe with a very European-centric passenger group. If you book one of their newer ships (anything with "Sea-" in it, like Seascape, Seaside, Seaview) they are the newest. Also they do offer some good deals for higher level room categories and this is one line where it pays to upgrade if you can because you get better treatment onboard.

The other thing is that many of their cruises are a week with the option of getting on/off at different points along the "circle".  (It has to be 7 days, but you could to Rome to Rome, Naples to Naples, Palermo to Palermo, etc. as an example). So it's a bit different.

There's a May 10 cruise on MSC Seaview out of Rome, 7 days with good solo prices on balconies and even suites for well under your threshold -- as an example. Look around on the MSC site; there are a number of options although it looks like in May they are mainly Western Med (Italy, France, Spain).

thx. I'll check it out,  

Hello to all.  Sounds like you all had a nice TG.  I dropped  the boys at the airport yesterday morning and napped yesterday afternoon.😂.  We had a really good time with Eli, played a lot of beach soccer and board games.  It was fun to have him for 4 days but always good to see him go home!

Busy day today!  I have a checkup tomorrow so had to get labs today.  I am dreading getting on the scale and pretty sure my labs are not going to be very good considering we had the Canada cruise, the river cruise and TG , all since the middle of September.  There has been a lot of carbohydrates and wine during this time!

Also getting my hair colored ( the gray roots are really showing, I was surprised Eli didn’t comment on it) and picking up my new glasses!   Can’t wait to start wearing glasses🙄 but at least I’ll have good hair!

Sherri🙂

• Like 2

Sherri - you have a busy day!!  Did you drop the kiddos off at Melbourne or up at Orlando? 

Got about 8" of snow from yesterday to this morning.  All I did was shovel a little path to get my trash can down to what I think was the curb (thanks snowplow!).  I'll finish it later.  

Getting the skunk stripe in my hair colored in tommorow so I'll be all nice for the start of work Friday.  

• Like 2

Hi Girls, Sherri, glad you had a good visit and yes, it sounds like you have been busy!

I had a Dentist appt today....just a cleaning. Then I needed to find a new kitchen calendar.  Not sure if any of you have a store called "And That".......they have some neat things and found a calendar there. The title of it is "WANDERLUST" and it has a beautiful photo on each month. And I could not pass up a bag of Lay's Sour Cream and Onion potato chips😃.......then I stopped at Bed, Bath and Beyond and got some coffees. And my last stop was out to lunch. Went to a local place and had a delicious BLT on Multi Grain Toast.😃

• Like 3

18 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Sherri - you have a busy day!!  Did you drop the kiddos off at Melbourne or up at Orlando? 

Got about 8" of snow from yesterday to this morning.  All I did was shovel a little path to get my trash can down to what I think was the curb (thanks snowplow!).  I'll finish it later.  

Getting the skunk stripe in my hair colored in tommorow so I'll be all nice for the start of work Friday.  

We drove to Orlando.  Melbourne would be much  closer for us but there are a limited number of  airlines that fly out of there with fewer flights. 

I do not miss shoveling snow!

Sherri🙂

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Girls, Sherri, glad you had a good visit and yes, it sounds like you have been busy!

I had a Dentist appt today....just a cleaning. Then I needed to find a new kitchen calendar.  Not sure if any of you have a store called "And That".......they have some neat things and found a calendar there. The title of it is "WANDERLUST" and it has a beautiful photo on each month. And I could not pass up a bag of Lay's Sour Cream and Onion potato chips😃.......then I stopped at Bed, Bath and Beyond and got some coffees. And my last stop was out to lunch. Went to a local place and had a delicious BLT on Multi Grain Toast.😃

Wow, Lois, you had a very fun day!  Lay’s Sour cream and Onion potato chips are my very favorite chip and difficult for me to pass up!  

Sherri🙂

Congrats Melody and your DH!   Did you have to get permission from your parents to marry as a child bride??? 😉

Just getting the hair un-grayed today.   My stylist and her friend have opened up a new salon in town.  So now, instead of a 3 minute drive to her, I have a 15 minute drive.  BUT, they are across from a wonderful little lobster place.  I love it but I can't afford it often.  Now I know I can go once a month😸  My favorite is the lobster wraps (Boston lettuce leaves) with a siracha aioli.  

Going to wear my Brazil parka that I have from the 2002 Brazil luge team (a thank you for storing their sled and gear).  Honoring the Brazilian World Cup team!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, awhfy said:

Kat, we got married in NH, I was 17 (18 in January) & Les was 20. He was in the AF & headed to Vietnam. Parents were in attendance. Melody

You were 17? Definitely a child bride😀 

• Like 2

Just now, Lois R said:

You were 17? Definitely a child bride😀 

Almost 18, still young. I was finishing my second year of college. Les had been in the Air Force for almost 2 years. We’ve been together since I was 15

• Like 3

1 hour ago, awhfy said:

Almost 18, still young. I was finishing my second year of college. Les had been in the Air Force for almost 2 years. We’ve been together since I was 15

That gets a big WOW from me. 

• Like 1

I have to second the big WOW from Lois!  I thought I was young but you have me beat!  We married 2 months before my 19th birthday, Richard was 21.  Our wedding was the summer before my second year of nursing school and Richard’s senior year.  We lived in married housing at Indiana University.  Good times!

So, once again we got a little crazy and booked a cruise that leaves tomorrow!  I told my husband that I felt like we needed a just relax vacation after the go go go of the river cruise, so I guess I better pack!😂

Sherri🙂

• Like 3