for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

On 5/25/2023 at 11:30 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Just thought I'd pop in to say Athleta is having an extra 30% off sale items right now. I bought those Brooklyn bermudas in black that I've been eyeballing (great bottom line price but size selection is getting limited), as well as a pair of relaxed linen pants in a chambray color -- this is about the only color I can stand linen in; somehow the variations in chambray de-emphasize the wrinkles, lol.....

image.png.643ddd949ae17b8b4f788342ef658cdb.png

Can't really seem them well in this photo but the pants have slits at the bottom as well. There are some other cute summery colors like a Mediterranean green and a coral. They are also going fast...

I also got a couple of pairs of cropped pants that should be good for travel/kicking around in black and a blue gray (which fit with my color basics....).  Haven't tried them before but the reviews are excellent.

I bought the same pants but I also got the white. Melody

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, wishing all of you a very Happy Memorial Day weekend. Anyone doing anything special? For me? Its really just another day.......but I realize we need to thank all of those who have made the ultimate sacrifice. 

Melody, thank Les for his service.

I will Lois. 

We’re having a new deck (Trex & black iron rails) done. Guy gave a quote last night & we picked colors this morning. We figured he’d start in October. He’s coming tomorrow with his crew to demolish the old deck. & rebuild it. The Trex will be delivered on Weds. I guess cash still talks loudly. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, awhfy said:

I bought the same pants but I also got the white. Melody

I picked up the shorts.  The ones I bought last summer from Chico’s are too big already.  I don’t like the Brooklyn fabric but the price was right in case I need a pair of “dress” shorts.  I tried on the denim shorts I got last summer and they are big, too.  But I can put a belt on with them.  

Calling my BFF at 8pm her time.  Fun.

• Like 2

I'm beginning to think the sun is never going to shine again. It's been rainy/dreary for the last week or so, but we've gotten less than a half inch of rain. So depressing.

I cut out vinyl for nine onsies, one toddler dress, two t-shirts, and a bag today. I have four more onsies to go, with the designs already on my canvas. Soooo many babies coming at work, all boys except one set of twin girls. Most are not first timers, but the twin girls are.

We had burgers yesterday (unintentionally) on National Burger Day with my daughter and hers. I made deep dish pizza today. It was so good.

One the bright side, we booked our next cruise--it's only 852 days away!

• Like 2

Hi PH, pizza sounds good. I haven't eaten it in a long time.

I defrosted a package of chicken breasts and used my friend Google to find a recipie. They came out really good and I have 2 left. It was a 3 pack. I put some olive oil along with a few different spices in a zip lock bag and marinated the chicken for about 30 minutes. Then put them on a baking sheet and spread soft cream cheese on them and on top of that I put some sautéed spinach and then topped it off with shredded provolone and baked them for about 30 minutes. They came out really nice and the one I had was delicious!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Lois, that sounds good. I’d love it, hubs couldn’t eat it (cream cheese & sour cream are not his friend)

Good morning Melody🙂....it really was good! I love chicken but sometimes can't decide on what to do with it LOL.......I didn't feel like going to the grocery store and fortunately I had the cream cheese in the fridge already!  The recipe actually called for mozzarella but I had provolone and it worked just as well.

And as for the spices, it was Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, onion powder, garlic salt and I threw in a bit of oregano too. It also called for chili flakes but I don't keep them in the house so they were not included.

• Like 1

Been lazing around the last few days taking advantage of the sunny but not too hot weather here. These nice days will soon give way to the summer inferno 😱 so I might as well enjoy them while I can.

I met a friend for lunch then we went to an Egyptian exhibit at local museum. I am starting to get the itch to go back to Egypt again...

• Like 1

Hi girls, Cynthia, sounds like a nice time for sure🙂

I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond this morning. The store is closing and everything is at least 25% off. I got a new set of sheets and 2 different boxes of coffees.  Now, let me ask all of you a question......be honest with your replies. Do you get people who actually ask your Nationality? Or ask "where are you from"? The gal at the register did that to me today........I said I am from here and I am American......she then prodded some more but at that point I didn't say anything else.....just got my stuff and left.  She said she was not being offensive........I think it is really.........I guess that is where we are in these times, huh? Or is it me?  Because asking someone "what they are"? is not a part of my thought process.........

What do you think?

• Like 1

Hi Lois,

The only time I have been asked is if I'm in a discussion with others and we all talk about where our families came from. Never in a store by a cashier.

I had an MD appt. this morning and had a cognitive test for the first time. I was given a piece of paper with a circle and had to show the clock hands for the time asked. I was also given 3 words and then had to repeat them after the clock drawing. Maybe this is something new this year for Medicare??

• Like 1

Hi Janet, thanks for the reply. Discussing backgrounds with folks you know is one thing......but asking that way from a cashier? I think it was out of line really.   As for that cognitive test? LOL.....this is too funny. I have a Dr appt (just regular GP) on Monday but I got a call yesterday for pre-registration AND a Medicare questionnaire about my health and one of the questions was for memory too.  She gave me 3 words and then went through other questions and then asked me if I remembered those 3 words.......she said it was part of Medicare.  Yes, I remembered the words😃

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WELDON said:

Hi Lois,

The only time I have been asked is if I'm in a discussion with others and we all talk about where our families came from. Never in a store by a cashier.

I had an MD appt. this morning and had a cognitive test for the first time. I was given a piece of paper with a circle and had to show the clock hands for the time asked. I was also given 3 words and then had to repeat them after the clock drawing. Maybe this is something new this year for Medicare??

Not new for Medicare.  I’ve had that test one a year since I joined.  I’m always afraid I’m going to blow the word test, especially lately with my long Covid brain fog.

• Like 1

That is part of the MOCA test  - there are a few variations but that is most common one.

I do them as part of my job.

They have been around a long time - but maybe some Dr surgeries are routinely doing them on people over, say, 75, as part of routine screening or drivers licence clearances or such like?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

Now, let me ask all of you a question......be honest with your replies. Do you get people who actually ask your Nationality? Or ask "where are you from"? The gal at the register did that to me today........I said I am from here and I am American......she then prodded some more but at that point I didn't say anything else.....just got my stuff and left.  She said she was not being offensive.

Hi Lois -- it certainly gives me pause (and not something I would do) but I've also realized over the years that people often ask questions or say things that seem odd or even borderline rude but don't really mean any offense. I just try to give them the benefit of a doubt unless it becomes clear they are genuinely being rude.

As an example:  my surname (thanks to my marriage) is one that, if spelled slightly differently, is generally associated with people of a quite different ethnicity than I am (or that my EX-H was). I've often been asked, when people look at my ID or credit card, if I am from XX country as it seems to puzzle them. Over years I've realized it's the name that causes confusion -- even though they are the ones who are transposing the letters mentally), so I have just developed a quick and super simple response that is friendly but doesn't invite further enquiry.

Other times I've found that they ask because I remind them of someone they know who is from (insert country).  Apparently I have a doppelganger somewhere who is running around eastern Europe as I hear that a lot as well.

At any rate, I just think most of the time it is well meaning but also kind of out of left field. I just try to roll with it. Never have come across someone who was actually intending to be rude....yet.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi girls, Cynthia, sounds like a nice time for sure🙂

I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond this morning. The store is closing and everything is at least 25% off. I got a new set of sheets and 2 different boxes of coffees.  Now, let me ask all of you a question......be honest with your replies. Do you get people who actually ask your Nationality? Or ask "where are you from"? The gal at the register did that to me today........I said I am from here and I am American......she then prodded some more but at that point I didn't say anything else.....just got my stuff and left.  She said she was not being offensive........I think it is really.........I guess that is where we are in these times, huh? Or is it me?  Because asking someone "what they are"? is not a part of my thought process.........

What do you think?

Odd thing for a store worker to ask IMO. Our Bed/Bath&Beyond closed about 6 months ago. 

18 hours ago, WELDON said:

Hi Lois,

It is a Medicare test

Edited by awhfy

In everyday situations, no, I haven’t had anyone ask where I am from.  Now, last month I did have a couple of clerks ask where I am from, but that was Alaska where “everyone “ is a tourist.   On my end, as part of my job training for the hotel business, we were told to ask where people are coming from in order to keep the conversation going and possibly glean some personal tidbits to help customize a stay.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, slidergirl said:

In everyday situations, no, I haven’t had anyone ask where I am from.  Now, last month I did have a couple of clerks ask where I am from, but that was Alaska where “everyone “ is a tourist.   On my end, as part of my job training for the hotel business, we were told to ask where people are coming from in order to keep the conversation going and possibly glean some personal tidbits to help customize a stay.

Good morning, Kat, asking where folks are from in your situation is totally different than what I experienced. I can definitely understand in your area of expertise and check in, that would just be part of the process. I can only tell you the gal at the store made a certain comment that I felt was out of line. (I did not post it on here)  It was one of those comments that just truly rubbed me wrong.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lois R said:

Hi Melody, WOW! It looks BEAUTIFUL!😃they did a wonderful job......congratulations!🙂

Thanks Lois, best contractors we’ve had in many, many years. Said they’d show up at 8:30 am. 8:30 they walked through the gate & started work (every day), cleaned up as they went along (!!)…fabulous experience!

• Like 2