Thoughts and prayers for Celebrity crew and staff

RickT

Just off the Equinox this morning.  Can’t help but wonder how the crew and staff are doing.  Just as passengers found out cruises were canceled, crew and staff found out they would be spending 30+ days “somewhere”.  Many are at the end of their contract and want to go home.  Many are probably concerned about their health and future employment.

In talking to some crew and officers before leaving they said they didn’t know much about the next 30 days.  The current priority was to take care of the passengers and figure out what happens next.  It’s 2:00 in Ft Lauderdale and none of the ships have left port yet.

So, while I understand most people asking how this affects them, I’m going to take a little time today and every day until this is over to think about the crew and staff who have looked after me while on board. He’s hoping for their health, happiness and jobs.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Well said.   Left Reflection yesterday after 11 great days being waited on hand and foot.  The last couple of days crew were starting to express concerns after Princess suspended operations.   They were starting to express concerns about their personal health and with their employment situation as well as travel to/from home.

I will continue to send positive thoughts in their direction while I my search for TP!

• Like 1

We just got off Equinox too. What a great crew and staff. I feel for them as they are stuck on the ship for 30 days and really don’t have much more information than that.  I spoke to some of them and they are very concerned about their jobs, health and their families. They will be in our thoughts.

Coronavirus has effected  all of us in some and I’m afraid it’s only the beginning. Stay healthy all!

• Like 3

I can’t imagine the financial stress for the crew as well. I know they receive a salary from Celebrity (which I assume they will still get in full) but they’ll also be losing the standard gratuity share and additional cash tips they usually get during the suspension.  

If if all goes well, I’ll be on one of the 4/11 sailings after the suspension and will be putting extra money aside for tips.

Edited by GenerationX
  • Like 3

Yes, awful for everyone, not just the guests. My daughter had been in rehearsal since January and boards in Chile tomorrow to spend 30 days somewhere at sea in preparation for the next possible cruise. All the crew work very hard and this terrible virus has had a terrible knock on effect for
everyone. We are meant to be flying to Hawaii from Australia mid April to cruise with her on April 20 but I’m guessing that won’t happen.

So good to see folks are thinking about the fantastic Celebrity crews who look after us. I felt quite tearful thIs morning thinking about what this means for their livelihoods.

• Like 1

Can’t say enough about the great crews.  Hoping those who are scheduled to go home get home with out a problem and for those that are still on the ship we look forward to seeing you soon.  Hoping while the ships are idled  you get a break from

from the long hours.  

I've been reading other threads filled with folks' complaints about their interrupted plans (and I do understand that it's stressful; I'm standing by to see what happens regarding my own Celebrity sailing scheduled April 25th).  I want you all to know how happy I am to see posts here from people whose concern is for the crew who work so hard to care for us when we're lucky enough to be onboard.  Thank you for caring!

• Like 2

Cruising would not be whatever it is without the special people who work tirelessly to make sure you have a wonderful experience.  They are a truly dedicated group of individuals.  I hope Celebrity will take care of them.  It will be exceedingly tough for them without their gratuity money.  More importantly, may they stay healthy through all of this.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to all the wonderful staff too...Such an unsettled time for them. Hope they can all get home soon and are financially cared for both now and in the future...

Also feel for the staff answering the telephone at present, I do hope that those calling with issues re cancellations remember that none of the problems are the fault of those listening.

I think all those in positions of responsibility in Celebrity management must be having a hard time too trying to preempt the best next move...No easy solutions.

So many things in life we all have taken for granted for so long now seem like luxuries....like going shopping and hugging a friend. 

Thoughts prayers and commiserations too to all whose plans have have gone astray....We are lucky in that our next cruise isn’t until October and no flights involved so no stress if it doesn’t happen.

Our first toast every cruise is to ‘Making it count...’ The next time we get to cruise it will be even more meaningful.

• Like 2

Thank you thank you thank you for posting.   Absolutely right.  Brought a tear to my eye and light to my morning to read this amongst all the folk complaining about not getting enough FCC, not geting enough notice etc.

Absolutely thoughts and prayers are with the crews and thier families.

I hope those who have just finished their contracts will be able to make their way home quickly and safely. With the seemingly ever increasing travel bans and cancelled flights I can see why they'll all be very anxious. 

I hope RCL group gives them all the help and support they need at this time. 

• Like 1

We are on the currently stranded Eclipse. 

When we learned our cruise to San Diego was cancelled I had the same thoughts. 

Our cabin attendant was scheduled to go home and was so excited.  Today - not so much. 

Every crew member I spoke to (even the clueless and unhelpful ones) - I wished them good luck in their future travels. They were happy to hear the encouragement. 

Our thoughts and prayers are with all crew members across the entire fleet. They are the best!

Every X cruise we have been on has been made most enjoyable by their efforts, some going way beyond !, to ensure we had a great experience. We have made friends with many of them. It is heartbreaking to think they are continuing to do their jobs with a smile on their faces, as they worry about the same things we are, such as their families, their jobs, their health and their futures.

• Like 1

We got off the Silhouette in February as this was just starting to escalate and we met so many nice crew.  I've been thinking of them ever since.  We also keep in touch with many people we have met on Celebrity, Princess and Azamara through the years and I've been spending a lot of time in the last week reaching out to make sure they are ok.  To everyone, please stay safe and I'm really happy to see the cruise lines finally temporarily shutting down.  They really need to.  I've stopped reading most of the other threads at this point because I'm tired of the petty complaining and yelling going on now.  People really need to take a deep breath, step back and calm down.  The crew needs all our positive vibes right now.  They are truly the reason we keep coming back and I really hope the cruise lines do right by everyone during this work stoppage.

• Like 2

Got of Inifinity Saturday. 

The crew members were supposed to get more information during Saturday. They did not expected any salary, as there would not be any gratuities or tips from passagers. Many was very concerned, as they would not be able to send money home to support their families.

Many warm thoughts to the crew members who will be stucked on the ships for the next 30 days (as least).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danish said:

Got of Inifinity Saturday. 

The crew members were supposed to get more information during Saturday. They did not expected any salary, as there would not be any gratuities or tips from passagers. Many was very concerned, as they would not be able to send money home to support their families.

Many warm thoughts to the crew members who will be stucked on the ships for the next 30 days (as least).

um.. crew should have a minimum base pay as stipulated in their contracts

We got off the Summit this past Monday in Fort Lauderdale after being denied entry in San Juan on Saturday.   The crew were outstanding and tried their best to keep smiles on their faces even when they didn't know (or permitted to tell us) specifics as to where they were heading after we disembarked.  The Summit left the port shortly after we all disembarked and just hope and pray they all stay safe.  While some joked that they will be doing some partying, I am pretty sure most were stressed.   The Captain is an outstanding leader and made his presence on board throughout the cruise and was there to visit passengers in the dining rooms on the last night and say goodbye to passengers at the pier.   Was kind of eerie saying bye to the crew.  Wish them all good health and safety.   

Many of us have been disappointed that long awaited vacations are not going to happen.  I really worry about the hard working crews we have all met on our celebrity cruises. Does anyone know how the company is handling the crew and the hardships they will surely endure?

1 minute ago, lara68 said:

Many of us have been disappointed that long awaited vacations are not going to happen.  I really worry about the hard working crews we have all met on our celebrity cruises. Does anyone know how the company is handling the crew and the hardships they will surely endure?

There are crew on empty ships all over the world that really know little or nothing.  Until the cruise lines decide what they are going to do there is, unfortunately, nothing to tell them.

The ones we have been in contact with are spending down time at the pool, enjoying some passenger areas like the theater but frankly are very, very concerned.  Understandably.

On 3/16/2020 at 11:16 AM, fstuff1 said:

um.. crew should have a minimum base pay as stipulated in their contracts

Um, for front end gratuity based employees, do you have any idea how much that "minimum base pay" is?  My guess is you don't if you made that post.