Oceania passenger with flights cancelled by BA

Glenndale

Our Oceania cruise has been cancelled and BA have now cancelled our flights to Miami.

I logged onto the BA site to claim a refund but found that the form presented to me was for a voucher, valid for a year, and not for a refund.

Googled this problem and found a solution. 

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32209950-post666.html

I hope this helps others in the same position.

By following the instructions I have finally managed to access the correct form and request a refund.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Glenndale said:

Our Oceania cruise has been cancelled and BA have now cancelled our flights to Miami.

I logged onto the BA site to claim a refund but found that the form presented to me was for a voucher, valid for a year, and not for a refund.

By following the instructions I have finally managed to access the correct form and request a refund.

Thanks for posting this. 

7 hours ago, Glenndale said:

Thanks for posting that, Glenndale. Does not directly help me but gives me hope. And I am sure those booked on BA are happy to see the technical work-around.

A future flight to USA, if indeed it expires one year from date of purchase, is pretty much useless to us so was hoping for a cancellation and refund. AA has amazingly not (yet?) cancelled our flight even though we cannot cross the border (so not sure how that would even work :{ ). Maybe they're holding it out as a reparation flight for US citizens to get back home.

1 minute ago, YoHoHo said:

Thanks for posting that, Glenndale. Does not directly help me but gives me hope. And I am sure those booked on BA are happy to see the technical work-around.

A future flight to USA, if indeed it expires one year from date of purchase, is pretty much useless to us so was hoping for a cancellation and refund. AA has amazingly not (yet?) cancelled our flight even though we cannot cross the border (so not sure how that would even work :{ ). Maybe they're holding it out as a reparation flight for US citizens to get back home.

YoHo, when were you due to fly?  In April was it?  So far, UA has not cancelled our May 3rd flight to Paris.  

19 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

Wow.  And they haven't yet cancelled the flight.... wow.  Though I'm sure it must just be chaos in their offices.

I would have expected the great computer to spit out a series of emails but perhaps sit does take a set of human eyes to pull the trigger on canceling. I agree, they have more than a few things to take care of this afternoon.

11 hours ago, Glenndale said:

Thanks so much for the info. It seems that SIA is trying the same thing, ie just offering a flight voucher up front. From what I understand, if the airline cancels you should get a refund. They’re all trying to hang on to our money. It is understandable but at the same time underhand not to publish all options. 

9 hours ago, susiesan said:

It's not just BA, it's all airlines. UAL is one of the worst. They make you fight for it.

I'm in the process of doing the refund for canceled  four segments on Norwegian Air. I THINK it's been done right but it was complicated and said to Bob that I'll probably be dealing with this for months.

When our Riviera cruise was cut short, we had to find flights home, and unfortunately no American flights worked for us, so we had to fly Delta.  Called American and told them that we couldn’t use our return flight because of our cruise being cut short, and they immediately gave us a voucher for a future flight, with no time limit. 

2 minutes ago, kitty9 said:

Called American and told them that we couldn’t use our return flight because of our cruise being cut short, and they immediately gave us a voucher for a future flight, with no time limit. 

That’s great news - I have never heard of such a generous offer - voucher without time limit.

Congratulations 🙂

I always use miles to book air tickets for overseas flights and did so for my cruise that is soon to be canceled. The worst I can expect is to pay a fee to have the miles redeposited, some times the fee is waived if you ask nicely. The downside is you have to call in to cancel, can't do it online, and hold times are running at 1- 2 hours until an agent picks up. My tix are on UAL flights with their miles.

On 3/21/2020 at 11:39 AM, Glenndale said:

Thank you so much !! Works a treat !!!

56 minutes ago, roger b said:

Thank you so much !! Works a treat !!!

So glad you’ve had success. Wonder if anyone may have the same solution for Singapore Airlines?  All I’m seeing is a voucher, no mention of a refund on their website (also on Emirates). I really thought that if a company takes your money and doesn’t provide the service, they would have to refund?

2 hours ago, cruisingaussies said:

So glad you’ve had success. Wonder if anyone may have the same solution for Singapore Airlines?  All I’m seeing is a voucher, no mention of a refund on their website (also on Emirates). I really thought that if a company takes your money and doesn’t provide the service, they would have to refund?

Have  you tried to see if your credit card would cover you?

Edited by Paulchili

On 3/21/2020 at 11:39 AM, Glenndale said:

Thank you very much for this tip.   I had cancelled Miami flights also and was only presented with a voucher.   Being somewhat technology challenged it took a while to get to the refund site, but perseverance saved the day.   Hope we all get back to cruising soon.

• 3 weeks later...