P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

37 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Sorry guys and sis,New year resolution ,no more tirades of fish puns . I'll have to switch off the predictive poster app.

Koi very much trout that bro. You'll never clam up. Salmonhow you can always winkle out a fishy quip while perched on your garden tench.  Whale I'm beginning to flounder now so I'll fly. It's been brill.😉😁

Sis

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

HELP needed please. 

I didn't know whether to put a new thread but as its non-cruise I have put it here.

Has anyone used a packing service when moving.  If so what exactly does it entail.  Is it done the day before.  Do you just sit back and let them get on with it or do some things.

Does it cost the earth?  Is it worth it.  Any information/experiences will be so much appreciated.

I'm not being lazy, but over Christmas my 'metal' ankle seemed to give up and it was twice the size and I couldn't walk on Christmas day.   Its a lot better but I will seek medical advice for the future.  After  a lot of hard work and such a brilliant recovery I am a bit gutted but hopefully all will be ok.  Being  quite 'senior' 😃 the thought of moving again is quite daunting but I will do it!!!  I hope to do all the packing but need a Plan B just in case.

Any moving tips will be appreciated, prefer personal rather than google, much  nicer.  xx

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

HELP needed please. 

I didn't know whether to put a new thread but as its non-cruise I have put it here.

Has anyone used a packing service when moving.  If so what exactly does it entail.  Is it done the day before.  Do you just sit back and let them get on with it or do some things.

Does it cost the earth?  Is it worth it.  Any information/experiences will be so much appreciated.

I'm not being lazy, but over Christmas my 'metal' ankle seemed to give up and it was twice the size and I couldn't walk on Christmas day.   Its a lot better but I will seek medical advice for the future.  After  a lot of hard work and such a brilliant recovery I am a bit gutted but hopefully all will be ok.  Being  quite 'senior' 😃 the thought of moving again is quite daunting but I will do it!!!  I hope to do all the packing but need a Plan B just in case.

Any moving tips will be appreciated, prefer personal rather than google, much  nicer.  xx

Every time we have moved we have used GB Liners and used their full packing service. It was excellent. We packed some personal / valuable things ourselves as a precaution (with boxes they provided for us), but they did everything else. It was brilliant and took most of the hassle away. As an example, they  have big boxes with hanging rails inside for clothes etc. I can’t remember all the details or costs now as it was 15 years ago since we last moved, but we felt it was good value. A few relatively minor breakages were compensated by them in full with no quibble. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Koi very much trout that bro. You'll never clam up. Salmonhow you can always winkle out a fishy quip while perched on your garden tench.  Whale I'm beginning to flounder now so I'll fly. It's been brill.😉😁

Sis

You've reeled me in now.You've covered more sealife than David Attenborough,cheers,bro.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I never used to think about the wind until 5 years and our chimney actually cracked under the strength of the wind.  Luckily we live in a bungalow so we very quickly spotted a damp spot on the ceiling of the lounge before any serious damage was done but it was still a big job.

We used to get far stronger winds in the past, not long after we first moved in back in the early 80s, all 4 of the new houses in our development lost  some ridge tiles in a fierce early morning gale. Then our neighbours 3 doors away had their new greenhouse wrecked the following year, and our next door neighbours had their garden shed blow completely off its foundation and dumped upside down in next doors mature sycamore tree, a few years later. Then we had a run in the early 2000s where I had to regularly replace panes of my glass in my greenhouse due to very strong winds.

Fortunately we have had no gales as strong as those in recent years, and long may that continue.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

Sorry - my Hattie has already got first dibs on them

She’ll let Tommy have a sniff though 

DBEA62C6-59A0-4975-BC3F-0FA2012D4F2D.jpeg

You're talking now,a match made in heaven.She must like a bit of Italian ruuuf.Look at them ,IMG-20201225-WA0015.thumb.jpg.da3c3ccc180d20498ad181b32f15a7ad.jpgJohn Travolta and Sandy.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

On 12/27/2020 at 7:14 AM, brian1 said:

Seems we were lucky, just North of the Thames.

Woke up this morning to realise it was very quiet, no wind and no rain hammering on the windows - phew! Think it stopped sooner than forecast as when I looked yesterday it said heavy rain all morning but now it says light showers although it’s been mostly dry.

• Like 2

On 12/27/2020 at 6:52 AM, Josy1953 said:

I never used to think about the wind until 5 years and our chimney actually cracked under the strength of the wind.  Luckily we live in a bungalow so we very quickly spotted a damp spot on the ceiling of the lounge before any serious damage was done but it was still a big job.

I never used to think about the wind until that awful storm in 87.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, brian1 said:

You're talking now,a match made in heaven.She must like a bit of Italian ruuuf.Look at them ,IMG-20201225-WA0015.thumb.jpg.da3c3ccc180d20498ad181b32f15a7ad.jpgJohn Travolta and Sandy.

She’s still only a baby but give it a few months ...

there could be some gorgeous, albeit scruffy, pups!

Have you read the kids’ books about Hairy Maclarey (from Donaldson’s dairy?). That’s Tommy

On 12/26/2020 at 9:44 PM, grapau27 said:

The news on TV  is all about Covid19 and Brexit.

It is indeed and it does affect cruising. However it’s nice to have release from it. That’s why it’s nice to discuss relatively ‘minor’ things on here. I’ve been watching old Morecambe and Wise clips on Dave or Gold and Classic Corrie on itv3 to have some light relief!

Presto - we watched Carry on Cruising yesterday - did make us giggle.

• Like 3

On 12/27/2020 at 9:05 AM, davecttr said:

The storm hit overnight and wow, did that wind blow. As I am still in my dressing gown the first task after dressing is to check for damage, hopefully having my ridge tiles lifted and re bedded in new mortar a few weeks ago will prove to be a good decision, funny thing is the plastic ridge weighted down with lead panels has blown off my mini greenhouse but the lightweight greenhouse itself is still where i left it 🤔

Anyone remember the great storm? I slept through it and only took notice when the local radio reported that the motorway was being closed because a police patrol had been overtaken by a night watchmans hut. they did not  say whether he was still inside 😁

I just lost 1 ridge tile that night but the local wood blew down except for trees around the edges and a large tree was firmly embedded in a house roof.

Funny I’ve just mentioned the storm of 87 before I read all the posts back! We slept through it too because of the angle our then house was at. My mum who only lives 10 minutes away was awake all night listening to roof tiles falling off! 
We discovered there was no electricity when we woke up and then set off for work  and saw trees blocking all the roads! At work it was like a snow day with not all the staff getting in and key holders struggling to get in! We didn’t hear the radio as we plugged it in, we got it some batteries after that.

55 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Don't give up bro. There's plenty more fish in the sea. Look forward to herring from you soon.

Sis

I think you 2 are at cross porpoises, as I haddock a clue. As Dame Vera said during the war "  Whale meat again ".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

She’s still only a baby but give it a few months ...

there could be some gorgeous, albeit scruffy, pups!

Have you read the kids’ books about Hairy Maclarey (from Donaldson’s dairy?). That’s Tommy

LOL,just googled that,dead ringer.I'll tell him he's in with a chance then.Cheers,Brian.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, indiana123 said:

HELP needed please. 

A packing service is just brilliant, I wouldn’t move without using one. Only thing I packed myself and kept with me were things like jewellery, bank books, important documents/ passports etc

Michelle 

2 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

It is indeed and it does affect cruising. However it’s nice to have release from it. That’s why it’s nice to discuss relatively ‘minor’ things on here. I’ve been watching old Morecambe and Wise clips on Dave or Gold and Classic Corrie on itv3 to have some light relief!

Presto - we watched Carry on Cruising yesterday - did make us giggle.

We've just been saying that we watched lots of Carry On Films, Morecambe and Wise, some old Star Trek episodes from the Original Series, some Top Gear specials (the Middle East one I love), Wheeler Dealers and My Family. Have saved Carry on Cruising until another day as we were all Carry On filmed out by yesterday !

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

We've just been saying that we watched lots of Carry On Films, Morecambe and Wise, some old Star Trek episodes from the Original Series, some Top Gear specials (the Middle East one I love), Wheeler Dealers and My Family. Have saved Carry on Cruising until another day as we were all Carry On filmed out by yesterday !

Wheeler Dealers,Place in the Sun,Four in a Bed and Judge Judy have been our preferred viewing although lots of repeats.

Nothing from BBC though which is poor considering the TV licence is for them.

Graham

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Presto2 said:

We watched Carry on Henry this morning, very funny. 

Andy 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, indiana123 said:

HELP needed please. 

A friend moved house about a month ago and as she is still recovering after a broken leg she paid extra to have everything packed the day before.She said it was well worth the money(she didn t say how much extra she paid)and nothing was broken! Because of covid she left the house for the hours they were packing up and left them to it!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I had to do a couple of   business calls today so we had a meal afterwards.

IMG_20201227_185722.jpg

IMG_20201227_185448.jpg

I hope you had a nice meal.  This is one of the things that we have missed, David's health problems make it too much risk for us to eat out.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 2

Just about catching up with all you guys , has you know I don’t celebrate Christmas and flew out to Fuerterventura just before all the countries started stopping flights. 
Im glad you all had  some lovely dinners turned out seeing all your pictures and opening your presents, and watching all the carry on films, I hope you all had a lovely day in the situation,  not being able to share with your families is very hard for all , and the awful weather you have all had , my son sent me a picture of my back garden with what looks like everybody’s rubbish blown out of the bins and spent a hour picking it up . 

Lovely picture of you Graham and Pauline glad you got to go out and enjoy a meal together 

Hope everyone is feeling well and happy at the moment ( I had a few laughs at the Brussels sprouts saga) I certainly didn’t miss the shopping hustle I normally go through.

We are due to fly home New Year’s Eve and have not had any emails from easyJet to change flight so all good there, not done very much while we’ve been here just chilling and sunbathing around the pool and a few bbqs take care everyone 

E2D5182A-67DB-4E47-955C-47D5145D8D9B.jpeg

3D1488CA-4695-493C-8B23-A9A45FDDB959.jpeg

12AE23C6-DDA2-4B8E-A09B-D28B319C10FE.jpeg

91FF9C58-B4AC-4B8F-884E-6AD2FE6B58D1.jpeg

6A49DB40-61E4-463D-8CA2-214921DD88F8.jpeg

D37090F6-DD96-4874-B6FF-D3DBF4D52F6E.jpeg

• Like 10