P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Tonight’s sorted.

For anyone with an interest in Suffolk (sorry, Annie!), Sutton Hoo, Anglo-Saxon burial ships, a rarely accomplished Suffolk accent - a good film for this weekend (Netflix sub required I’m afraid):

The Dig (2021, now on Netflix)

The Dig is a drama film directed by Simon Stone, based on the 2007 novel of the same name by John Preston, which reimagines the events of the 1939 excavation of Sutton Hoo. It stars Carey Mulligan, Ralph Fiennes, Lily James, Johnny Flynn, Ben Chaplin, Ken Stott, Archie Barnes and Monica Dolan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55650074

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3661210/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

And that dining room!

At the risk of being banned for going seriously off topic:

Cruise ship dining rooms  -  more or less eating what you want when

you want and  not having to think too hard about what to eat when.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kalos said:

I find the same , have you tried watching Question Time ?

Without the audience there it just seems lacking and dull .

IMO it has been lacking and dull since David Dimbleby left I certainly dont think Fiona Bruce is good enough. It used to be one of my favourite "must watch" programmes but hardly ever bother now.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Tonight’s sorted.

For anyone with an interest in Suffolk (sorry, Annie!), Sutton Hoo, Anglo-Saxon burial ships, a rarely accomplished Suffolk accent - a good film for this weekend (Netflix sub required I’m afraid):

The Dig is a drama film directed by Simon Stone, based on the 2007 novel of the same name by John Preston, which reimagines the events of the 1939 excavation of Sutton Hoo. It stars Carey Mulligan, Ralph Fiennes, Lily James, Johnny Flynn, Ben Chaplin, Ken Stott, Archie Barnes and Monica Dolan.

Another good National Trust site.

Also in that part of the world is Orford Ness.  We did one of the guided walking tours.  Very different to all the other NT places we've been.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I miss going out for a coffee a couple of times a week, either to the garden centre or the M&S cafe and doing some people watching and a general mooch around the shops. I also miss day trips on the coach and getting on the train to the coast and going for long seaside walks. I was able to do these things carefully during the summer and early autumn, so don’t feel too deprived, and hope I can eventually do the same this year.

I really miss going to the theatre. Last time I did this was November 2019, and at this point it’s difficult to see how the theatres can reopen. When I eventually get back to the theatre, I have a feeling I will sob with happiness as I take my seat - theatre has always been important to me. 

I am missing the theatre too, our small local one shows films in an afternoon a couple of times per month for £5 each, £10 if you want lunch beforehand. Like going to M & S cafe as well before going to food hall for nice goodies!!

Can’t wait for spring and warmer weather

Michelle

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

It’s strange looking at old photos, and seeing people mingling without a care in the world. 

We like to watch re-runs of Law and Order, NCIS and the like, and I feel very uncomfortable seeing groups of people together, on the streets, or shaking hands and hugging each other. It's strange how the events of last year have changed my perception on life in general.

Avril

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Tonight’s sorted.

I intend watching that tomorrow, I’ve been looking forward to it 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I have just walked past one of the large mirrors in the house and I know what else I miss at the moment.  My hairdresser, there are mops in the kitchen with more structure.

Thanks for todays really good laugh out loud x🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Generally good vaccination news today, individual and worldwide.  We all need to have it, I guess

Shall we all meet up down the pub? 🍻 🍷 🥩 🥗 

Oh wait, no 😕

Ho hum.  One day, hopefully

Boring, boring, boring day here, as the painter is in completely re-doing the living room/kitchen (Insurance job following an ingress of water during the first of the autumn gales). So, apart from a long walk with the dog, we’re banished to the bedroom, with the pets.  
Good news is that our walk took in the fish van, so I have a huuuge piece of skate for our tea/supper/dinner.  Baked in the oven with olive oil, chilli flakes, lemon and capers.  Gorgeous 

• Like 6

WelI  I think I must have finally cracked.  Well others also think so  too as I keep screeching out loud with laughter over some of the antics on here!

A well known communications/telephone Company have finally got me and tipped me over.

Long conversation with them Wednesday, after holding on for 40 minutes, and monthly payment for services agreed at £45.00.

E mail last night confirmed payments of £61.00 a month

Letter arrived just now confirming monthly payment as £53.00 a month!!!!

It must be me... they wouldn't make that many mistakes with one customer for one day.... would they!!

Off to the Home for the Bewildered!!!🤣

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Generally good vaccination news today, individual and worldwide.  We all need to have it, I guess

Shall we all meet up down the pub? 🍻 🍷 🥩 🥗 

Oh wait, no 😕

Ho hum.  One day, hopefully

Boring, boring, boring day here, as the painter is in completely re-doing the living room/kitchen (Insurance job following an ingress of water during the first of the autumn gales). So, apart from a long walk with the dog, we’re banished to the bedroom, with the pets.  
Good news is that our walk took in the fish van, so I have a huuuge piece of skate for our tea/supper/dinner.  Baked in the oven with olive oil, chilli flakes, lemon and capers.  Gorgeous 

Sounds good. Love Skate. Not so easy to get hold of round here though. Waitrose have it sometimes but don't deliver fresh fish.

Had some Dover Sole in the freezer but all gone now until we can get to Waitrose again. Shame you can't get it frozen - Skate too.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Sounds good. Love Skate. Not so easy to get hold of round here though. Waitrose have it sometimes but don't deliver fresh fish.

Had some Dover Sole in the freezer but all gone now until we can get to Waitrose again. Shame you can't get it frozen - Skate too.

Harry you can buy all sorts of frozen fish for home delivery. Just do a quick search, there are several suppliers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Stay Home Stay Safe !

Disqualified driver is arrested after taking his family shopping in an ambulance with the blue lights flashing. Anyone else wondering...? :classic_unsure:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-55813850  

I'd like to think that on top of fines and possible custodial sentence, his second hand ambulance is confiscated.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Harry you can buy all sorts of frozen fish for home delivery. Just do a quick search, there are several suppliers.

Thanks!  Never thought of that - great idea.  We've just had a supply of Cornish Gouda (!) delivered direct from the farm, our meat comes to the door from local butchers, so why not fish.

• Like 2

There's local fish delivery in our area with fresh fish from Newlyn. So again hasn't got many food miles.

What do I miss? I miss meeting up with friends for a cuppa and a chat. Having the family just popping in and out as they normally do. Holidays and going out for a meal.  The last meals out I had were all on one weekend in March. The first was at my daughter's wedding, the next day in St Ives with my friend who had come down for the wedding and the day  after that in Marazion for my husband's birthday.

20200316_162549.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

What seems even stranger to me is watching new TV programmes filmed under covid secure measures.

We watch NCIS Los Angeles and the new series has lots of group discussions on video calls, staged social distancing dialogue scenes, absolutely no hand to hand combat fight scenes, and deserted streets with no traffic. I guess we will eventually get used to it.

You’re right and it’s quite frightening really how conditioned we’ve become to it. Everything we watch in TV we ask ourselves whether it was filmed before or during Covid. Our minds have now been wired to think differently which is quite scary really.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, purplesea said:

There's local fish delivery in our area with fresh fish from Newlyn. So again hasn't got many food miles.

What do I miss? I miss meeting up with friends for a cuppa and a chat. Having the family just popping in and out as they normally do. Holidays and going out for a meal.  The last meals out I had were all on one weekend in March. The first was at my daughter's wedding, the next day in St Ives with my friend who had come down for the wedding and the day  after that in Marazion for my husband's birthday.

20200316_162549.jpg

Lovely picture of St Michael’s Mount - we’ve visited several times. Makes me really miss Cornwall and wondering whether we’ll get there in April. We usually spend 8 or 9 weeks of the year in North Cornwall. Last year we only managed to spend September there, but it wasn’t enough! 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, purplesea said:

20200316_162549.jpg

Lovely part of the world.We had a weeks' holiday in Penzance a few years ago and toured the area.Particularly liked Michaels Mount and the Minack Theatre.We saw a production of Pride and Predjudice and it kept dry!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Thanks!  Never thought of that - great idea.  We've just had a supply of Cornish Gouda (!) delivered direct from the farm, our meat comes to the door from local butchers, so why not fish.

Harry had delivery this week from Scotland, Whole Scampi and King Prawns. Been getting Smoke Salmon and Kippers also during the lock down. Also pies from Goddard's all washed down with wine from Adnams. it is a tough life!

• Like 1