P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, Angel57 said:

Food from childhood would keep this thread going for years. My Mum’s favourite snack was soft roes (not in a tin but from fishmonger) on toast.

My Mum's too. When she came to live with us after Dad died I wanted to make her as comfortable as I could, so when she said she missed soft roes on toast, I went to the fish market and bought some. I was instructed to rinse them in cold water, pat dry, toss in seasoned flour and lightly fry in butter. Not as easy as it sounds while holding your breath and closing your eyes. The memory of the feel of them still makes me shudder. 

My favourite, but not so healthy food from childhood? Pork sausages rolled up in thickly buttered white sliced bread, messy but oh so good.

Avril

• Like 6

Purdey - thanks so much for coming back with the lovely photos and description of your night out.  A shame about the chop, I might well have chosen that, not thinking that they are rarely tender and enjoyable.  I also like to look online at the wine lists, as once you are at  your table it is hard to concentrate on a long list.  The place looks lovely, and good that you were not charged for the chop- some restaurants would not do that.

Thanks for the comments about the internet, too, I can't quite understand how my daughter in a house built in the 1700s gets perfect  internet, and ours dating to 1960 does not.  Yes, I know there will be a sensible explanation!

Hardly any of you will remember food rationing - that did result in some funny meals.  I remember my mother being horrified when I came home after sugar sandwiches at a little friend's house (My mother was even in those days health and food sensible).  We did have bread and dripping; I loved it.  And tripe, which was disgusting - I think from UCP (universal cow products) shops?  I lived in the northwest as a child.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, indiana123 said:

EEEK.

I have 'brains' in the back of my mind!!!!    (did I really just say that.... clever...🤓😄)

No.. she couldn't have.   Hopefully it was in a dream and mum didn't really put that on the table., or did she.   a distant memory is there lurking in my head somewhere.

Now that's really put me off my breakfast.  

I’m sure there used to be an advert on tv for Brains Faggots.....!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

I’m sure there used to be an advert on tv for Brains Faggots.....!

We still buy them occasionally from the freezer section in Tesco, not made with Brains but plenty of other Offal  similar to Haggls, very tasty if you like that sort of thing.

Dripping toast with the jelly was always my dad's 'supper'. In those days we had breakfast, dinner, tea, and supper - a far cry from today's lunch and dinner. Different terminology these days! We also had roes on toast and brawn, jellied eels, and tripe and onions. Awful mostly! The food police now would probably have had us put into care!

An update on Teddy - and thank you all again for your get well messages for him: after posting yesterday I had a good look at the wound, which had started bleeding again, and I decided it probably did need sutures after all. I got an emergency appointment with the vet for 10am. They agreed sutures were required so they kept him in. He had a general anaesthetic and was stitched from the inside upwards. I collected, at 4pm,  the most desolate and sad looking dog ever! They also collected £598.15 from his mum. First post-op check tmorrow at 9am, second check the following Monday. He has antibiotics and painkillers and is not happy. Poor little Teds! 

It's raining here in London but very warm. No walking today as he has to be kept quiet and resting. What a weekend!

Have a lovely Sunday everyone. Best wishes as always. Jane.xxx

• Like 13

Good morning, all this talk about food and I can smell the roast beef for Sunday lunch hmmm !! When we roast leg of pork, I always pour the juices into a bowl, in the fridge and the next day the dripping and sludge is lovely instead of butter on bread with sliced cold roast pork.

Not so warm today, overcast and rain in the air, can't grumble been outside all week and the long term forecast is good.

Stay safe.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

dripping and sludge is lovely instead of butter on bread with sliced cold roast pork.

Lovely. I like a little of the crackling broken up on mine as well. I love homemade beef dripping too wth the 'sludge' as you call it.

Avril

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

Lovely. I like a little of the crackling broken up on mine as well. I love homemade beef dripping too wth the 'sludge' as you call it.

Avril

I forgot mention that and of course, apple sauce and a sprinkle of salt on the dripping !

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Dripping toast with the jelly was always my dad's 'supper'. In those days we had breakfast, dinner, tea, and supper - a far cry from today's lunch and dinner. Different terminology these days! We also had roes on toast and brawn, jellied eels, and tripe and onions. Awful mostly! The food police now would probably have had us put into care!

An update on Teddy - and thank you all again for your get well messages for him: after posting yesterday I had a good look at the wound, which had started bleeding again, and I decided it probably did need sutures after all. I got an emergency appointment with the vet for 10am. They agreed sutures were required so they kept him in. He had a general anaesthetic and was stitched from the inside upwards. I collected, at 4pm,  the most desolate and sad looking dog ever! They also collected £598.15 from his mum. First post-op check tmorrow at 9am, second check the following Monday. He has antibiotics and painkillers and is not happy. Poor little Teds! 

It's raining here in London but very warm. No walking today as he has to be kept quiet and resting. What a weekend!

Sorry for you both.

Ted for his injury and you for a nearly £600 bill.😵.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

We used to have Brawn sarnies sometimes as kids, It was made from the flesh from a cow or pigs head, not sure whether the brains got into it though. Having been born and bred on a farm offal was always available, now they seem to use it for pet food, I am sure one of these telly chefs could knock out a plate of tripe with a raspberry jus or horseradish mash and make it look appetising, we got salt and vinegar on it.

I am not a .Vegetarian but I don't like anything if it looks like it came from an animal etc so your words reminded me of going to my best friends farm every saturday  as a child and eating Guinea Fowl paste sandwiches after seeing the Guinea Fowl running around outside.My friend is now a Vegetarian. My staple diet seemed to be jam sandwiches at home.My mother in law was a Domestic Science teacher so my hubby always had 'proper ' food at home but that did include things like crumble or suet pudding as a dessert most days.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Sorry to hear about Teddy but hopefully he is now on the road to recovery.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Thank Graham. You will never see a poor vet!!!! Jane.x

Never a poor vet or poor dentist! At least I can understand why people choose to be vets but dentists!!! ?A friends daughter who is a vet probably saved her husbands life earlier this week when he had an accident with an angle grinder.It involved an air ambulance, emergency operation but has probably saved his arm and her vet training meant she knew what to do before the paramedics arrived.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Never a poor vet or poor dentist! At least I can understand why people choose to be vets but dentists!!! ?A friends daughter who is a vet probably saved her husbands life earlier this week when he had an accident with an angle grinder.It involved an air ambulance, emergency operation but has probably saved his arm and her vet training meant she knew what to do before the paramedics arrived.

Oh my goodness Ann - how awful for the poor man. Thankfully the vet lady was on hand to save the day. I hope he makes a full recovery. I actually don't begrudge a penny of Teddy's bill - I'd have been lost without their help yesterday. Jane.x

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Thank Graham. You will never see a poor vet!!!! Jane.x

I think that should read ‘vet practice’ Jane.  My niece has been qualified about 6 years now but still repaying her monster-sized student loan.  So many practices now are part of groups owned by venture capitalists and the like.  The capital costs of setting up a practice with all the state of the art equipment is astronomical.

Anyway, good that Teddy is on the mend.  What an accident that must have been!  You make me nervous for my pup’s next clip.  We met a cockapoo on our walk this morning (3/4 poo, 1/4 c0ck) whose mum clips him herself.  Hmmm?  I’ll need to think about that

The day remains unremarkable but enjoyable.  Easy lunch, which is the second half of that Raymond Blanc chicken/mustard dish I made a few weeks ago, from the freezer, and green figs and crème frâiche for dessert (sounds almost cruise worthy)

I must get around to completing the necessary form to prevent my health history potentially being up for sale.  Not sure why there’s not more general info about the plan.  When similar was proposed in 2014 every household was leafleted.  Has your practice been impacted Jane?  As if you don’t have enough to do.  I shall enclose an apology when I hand mine in

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, ann141 said:

😮

omg

Men and their power tools

Hope he makes a full recovery

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beckett said:

Oh my goodness Ann - how awful for the poor man. Thankfully the vet lady was on hand to save the day. I hope he makes a full recovery. I actually don't begrudge a penny of Teddy's bill - I'd have been lost without their help yesterday. Jane.x

Its one of my sons friends and its made my son realise that you don't know how long you have on this earth so he is making a point of visiting another close school friend next week on his way to stay with us 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Oh Jane - what a trauma for you and Teddy. The vet bills are steep, but would have been much worse if out of hours or on a Sunday.
Can you claim it back on your insurance or on the carer’s/groomer’s insurance? However I agree worth every penny as they so precious to us.

Gill x

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

My late dad would eat tripe and Lard dripping bread.

My late mam was a cook supervisor on the school meals so we had school lunches twice a day.

My grandma used to go to the tripe shop in Rawson Market in Bradford. They used to eat it with salt & vinegar. They also used to eat dripping bread with salt & pepper. Just yuk!! 
Michelle

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Hope Teddy gets better soon. They certainly know how to charge we had a £658 bill recently with our spaniel for a growth removing in between her pads on her paws. Less than 4 weeks and it’s grown back and she has had it removed again - for free

Michelle

My daughter is a Vet nurse. She went to Uni and got a 2.1 degree, went to work for Waterstones but hated it. Retrained and qualified 15 years ago. She has just changed jobs and is now earning 10% more than minimum wage for the first time.  I have always had a cat but after a huge vet bill for my last one and the insurance company arguing over paying most of it, I decided not to take up insurance for my new cat. I opened a Post Office savings account for her, have a standing order for £50 a month and it has now nearly £2k in and I don’t have to worry about her bills. 

• Like 7