P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

We went to a family funeral on Thursday at  Chesterfield crem. The local vicar was very modern and amusing, most people were dressed in bright colours as that is what auntie wanted. It was an enjoyable occasion to celebrate the life of a family member. Maybe not everyone's cup of tea but everyone we spoke to enjoyed it as far as a funeral can be enjoyed.

Sending our condolences for the family Phil.

• Thanks 1

We went to a cremation a few years ago where the music played at the end of the service was Madness's One Step Beyond.  All went silent at first, a bit surprised/stunned.  Then a low chuckle could be heard.  It was music from his era, as was for a lot of his friends.  I also thought of it as his subtle way of saying who knows what happens afterwards.

• Like 7

Good morning all

I’m only checking whether I can post or not - the site seems a bit iffy today

I definitely can’t post pictures.  Ho hum

Lovely day here.  

Edited by Eddie99
Trying to add a pic - and failing!
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

We went to a cremation a few years ago where the music played at the end of the service was Madness's One Step Beyond.  All went silent at first, a bit surprised/stunned.  Then a low chuckle could be heard.  It was music from his era, as was for a lot of his friends.  I also thought of it as his subtle way of saying who knows what happens afterwards.

Has we left the crematorium after my Sons funeral 2 years ago we had Pink Floyd's We Wish You Were Here played.

It was the sort of music playing in our home has he was growling up in the 1970s and he would have loved it..

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 10

On 10/8/2021 at 2:49 PM, pete14 said:

Today has been made better by the announcement that those in the Novavax Covid vaccine trial who received the Novavax vaccine can safely receive two doses of the approved Pfizer vaccine. Novavax does not have official approval for use in UK yet but those who received two doses of it in the trial  are considered vaccinated for domestic purposes. Not so for international travel hence the good news that when they have received the two doses of Pfizer, they will be able to travel beyond these shores. Wouldn’t help with the cruise we had booked for the end of November (which we have already transferred) but it does remove uncertainty for our cruise in March / April.

Pete has your wife tried to book Pfizer vaccine ?  

The NHS app only shows my 2 Novavax  vaccines,  I had a Pfizer vaccine last week for my booster dose at the hub where I volunteer but it is not visible in the NHS app.

9 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

The NHS app only shows my 2 Novavax  vaccines,  I had a Pfizer vaccine last week for my booster dose at the hub where I volunteer but it is not visible in the NHS app.

@pete14when I say NHS app I don't  mean GP records because I can see all 3 of my vaccines there.  I will ask at the hub today why it isn't showing in the NHS app because this is where you have to download it from.

10 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

She hasn’t tried to book it yet as we are currently in our North Wales caravan retreat. When we get back to sunny Stoke, she is going to contact our local surgery which has been doing vaccinations and see what they say. If she gets no joy, we have the final trial appointment / checkup in a couple of weeks so they may be able to help.

24 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Morning everybody.  Have to make a few lengthy journeys shortly - is the fuel situation back to normal everywhere now, even in the south and south-east?

Certainly back to normal in North Lincs.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Morning everybody.  Have to make a few lengthy journeys shortly - is the fuel situation back to normal everywhere now, even in the south and south-east?

I hope they are for you Harry . I use https://www.petrolprices.com/  to keep my eye on fuel prices

and find it handy for locating garages when away from home .:classic_smile:

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 12:02 PM, Peanut006 said:

My mum has just started needing more help doing things for her. She has Macular Degeneration and it has got significantly worse over the last few months. I have just got her an appointment at our Low Vision Centre for an assessment on Tuesday. She is not too happy about it but they might be able to offer us some help and advice. 
It’s difficult as I am an only child so no-one else to help and have MS myself and having a bit of a “blip” myself at the moment. Grandchildren are over an hour away so a lot is falling on my hubby at the moment who is still working. Even the dog is not well, he is at the vets today as well. 
Anyway that’s enough of me moaning!! The weather is nice here today which is always a big plus

Take Care everyone and stay safe

Michelle

Hope your "blip" doesn't last too long Michelle and you're soon back to your usual lively self. I also hope your mum comes round to what the Low Vision Centre may be able to do for her. There's nothing worse than a resistant mum! Sorry this post is so late but I've been unable to access the ability the do anything other than "like" for quite a few days. Best wishes. Jane.x 

• Like 2

This site is so frustrating! I've been unable to do a thing but "like" etc. for a good 48 hours. I just managed a "quote" to Michelle which I think has registered but I tried to do one for Sandra and it won't let me again.

So this post is for Sandra:  I am so sorry I didn't acknowledge your difficult few days -it wasn't for lack of trying. I am glad the funeral went as well as it could and I loved that Sweet Caroline was played at the end. What a happy way to end a sad occasion. After such a length of time caring, everything will feel very empty at first but please look after yourself while you adjust. As you said to me Sandra - this is your time now. Very best wishes. Jane.x 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Beckett said:

This site is so frustrating! I've been unable to do a thing but "like" etc. for a good 48 hours. I just managed a "quote" to Michelle which I think has registered but I tried to do one for Sandra and it won't let me again.

So this post is for Sandra:  I am so sorry I didn't acknowledge your difficult few days -it wasn't for lack of trying. I am glad the funeral went as well as it could and I loved that Sweet Caroline was played at the end. What a happy way to end a sad occasion. After such a length of time caring, everything will feel very empty at first but please look after yourself while you adjust. As you said to me Sandra - this is your time now. Very best wishes. Jane.x 

Thanks Jane. I had problems with CC a few weeks ago, it just seemed to fix itself after a few days.

I know when I am having a “blip” I need to rest and do nothing, it’s hard though when you can see jobs in the house that need doing. Helping hubby in the garden today seems unlikely today. 
Making a morning coffee right now seems a good plan so catch up later

Michelle

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Morning Harry. North London petrol availability is very spasmodic at the moment. Quite a lot of petrol station are still closed. For me, to be sure of filling up, it's Tesco at 6am still.

Sorry I didn't reply to your last message Harry but I've had all sorts of problems with the site over the last few days. Well tomorrow is the last day on which the invites should have been sent and I am now confident that they will be sent during the course of tomorrow. Unfortunately I won't be in work as I now have some medical stuff to deal with but I'll report back on Tuesday when I know the outcome.

Best wishes. Jane.x 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Morning Harry. North London petrol availability is very spasmodic at the moment. Quite a lot of petrol station are still closed. For me, to be sure of filling up, it's Tesco at 6am still.

Sorry I didn't reply to your last message Harry but I've had all sorts of problems with the site over the last few days. Well tomorrow is the last day on which the invites should have been sent and I am now confident that they will be sent during the course of tomorrow. Unfortunately I won't be in work as I now have some medical stuff to deal with but I'll report back on Tuesday when I know the outcome.

Best wishes. Jane.x 

Thanks for that, Jane - on both counts.  On the petrol front I'd sooner trust what I read here than the media, and on the immunosuppressed jabs that's particularly helpful.  I did an askmyGP request to my surgery on Friday, first thing, and (highly unusually for them) there's been no response at all. They've either effectively binned it, or maybe they're planning to get all the invites out by the end of tomorrow.

Harry

• Like 2

Morning all,our cleaning lady dropped these off yesterday from her chooks.Only fair to have a full English/Italian this morning.Note the smuggled bacon.We saw her collecting snails this morning,it had rained in the night so they all come out.Appa20211010_092512.thumb.jpg.cf9007a84390259316b0c0164b77bd77.jpg20211010_074911.thumb.jpg.e0de59e45b8803acec9e1e711be6ea78.jpgrently you feed them on leaves for a day and boil them with onions,toms and chilli peppers.My mate Mario says they're bloody horrible and octopus is a lot better.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, pete14 said:

She hasn’t tried to book it yet as we are currently in our North Wales caravan retreat. When we get back to sunny Stoke, she is going to contact our local surgery which has been doing vaccinations and see what they say. If she gets no joy, we have the final trial appointment / checkup in a couple of weeks so they may be able to help.

I asked at the hub this morning and the response is that the NHS App is being updated to take account of booster jabs but as of Friday the roll out date for the updates is unknown.

I am going to ask at my final trial appointment ( 22nd October ) too.

3 hours ago, brian1 said:

Morning all,our cleaning lady dropped these off yesterday from her chooks.Only fair to have a full English/Italian this morning.Note the smuggled bacon.We saw her collecting snails this morning,it had rained in the night so they all come out.Appa20211010_092512.thumb.jpg.cf9007a84390259316b0c0164b77bd77.jpg20211010_074911.thumb.jpg.e0de59e45b8803acec9e1e711be6ea78.jpgrently you feed them on leaves for a day and boil them with onions,toms and chilli peppers.My mate Mario says they're bloody horrible and octopus is a lot better.

Looks very tasty bro, but I can't see the snails. Were they hiding under your mushrooms?😊

Sis

• Haha 3

On 10/9/2021 at 11:28 AM, Son of Anarchy said:

At my cousins cremation 2 years ago the final piece was Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin, earlier we had had Wild Horses by the Rolling Stones, music was part of his life he and The choices he made reflected that. A colleague who I worked with had “Always look on the bright side of life” at his cremation, most of us left with a smile on our faces at what was a sad time. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Looks very tasty bro, but I can't see the snails. Were they hiding under your mushrooms?😊

Sis

I'm trying to invent a snail/octopus combo dish.I might get a Michelin star,bro.

• Haha 1

On the topic of funerals my mate told me if his Mrs goes first he wants to play her 

a tune from The Wizard Of Oz !   :classic_smile:

I asked will it be.. Somewhere over the rainbow ?:classic_unsure:

Nope  it's gonna be....  Ding -Dong  The Witch Is Dead  !!  :classic_ohmy:

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, kalos said:

On the topic of funerals my mate told me if his Mrs goes first he wants to play her 

a tune from The Wizard Of Oz !   :classic_smile:

I asked will it be.. Somewhere over the rainbow ?:classic_unsure:

Nope  it's gonna be....  Ding -Dong  The Witch Is Dead  !!  :classic_ohmy:

Ha ha. Laughed out loud at that…..l.🤣🧙

• Like 1