P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

We have solar panels producing quite a lot of excess, unused energy that just goes into the grid under the original Feed In Tariff at a very nominal rate per kWh. Using that ‘wasted’ energy to power an electric vehicle would be perfect, and one of our neighbours does just that.

But, and it’s a very big but at the moment, unless you’re doing a substantial mileage it’s difficult to recover the initial capital outlay.  That will change over the coming years, but although we considered electric when we bought our current (ha!) cars, it made no financial sense, even with 4 kWh from the panels.

14 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I had a phone call from the hospital this afternoon, my biopsy results have shown that I do not have cancer so that is a relief. The bad news is that they want to carry out some more tests including a biopsy done under anesthetic so that they can take a larger sample that can be analysed in more depth to determine whether the lesions are likely to become malignant. It looks the next few weeks are not going to be much fun.

Relieved that your results came back cancer clear Josy, and praying that the others come back with good news too. Keep positive, and look forward to a celebratatory cruise when its all over. x

Avril

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, LynnForestgate said:

May I politely ask, if you both know each other outside of cruise critic, or if its a friendship that has developed over the years ?

Nice if it is, either way !

No, we've never met, but over time, via this particular thread,  you come to feel as though you do know each other. We've all shared a little of our personal lives with each other and helped where we could during these past months. We've celebrated, commiserated and consoled together, we are our own small virtual family and one which I would very much like to meet one day.

Avril

• Like 13

38 minutes ago, LynnForestgate said:

May I politely ask, if you both know each other outside of cruise critic, or if its a friendship that has developed over the years ?

Nice if it is, either way !

She's even got a long lost bro she's never met.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

I am interested in getting an electric car so it would be good to hear about real user experiences. A hybrid would be better but they are being banned longer term.

My big concern would be being stuck in the snow and losing power and so also losing heating capacity.

If you run out of petrol someone / anyone can come with a can. How do they charge your electric car if you run out? Lots of questions I need to research.

Lidl do free chargers apparently.Waitrose shoppers would have to wear a disguise in case they get recognised.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

No, we've never met, but over time, via this particular thread,  you come to feel as though you do know each other. We've all shared a little of our personal lives with each other and helped where we could during these past months. We've celebrated, commiserated and consoled together, we are our own small virtual family and one which I would very much like to meet one day.

Avril

I would agree entirely. During the lockdowns in particular the support and humour on here was great.

I have not met anyone on this forum in real life but I feel as if I know some pretty well and would love to share a drink and a chat with them one day on a ship. 

• Like 12

19 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I would agree entirely. During the lockdowns in particular the support and humour on here was great.

I have not met anyone on this forum in real life but I feel as if I know some pretty well and would love to share a drink and a chat with them one day on a ship. 

Could Brian come,he's a rescue snail.IMG_20211011_091718.thumb.jpg.a61e2751bc5fdb05a6b86ae52deaade8.jpg

• Haha 6

16 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I had a phone call from the hospital this afternoon, my biopsy results have shown that I do not have cancer so that is a relief. The bad news is that they want to carry out some more tests including a biopsy done under anesthetic so that they can take a larger sample that can be analysed in more depth to determine whether the lesions are likely to become malignant. It looks the next few weeks are not going to be much fun.

Lets hope your next results are as good as your first results Josy ,they are just making absolutely sure you are 100%. Best wishes to you :classic_smile:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

I think these types of issues will affect a lot of people’s choice to move to electric.

It is the driving range of electric cars and how quickly the batteries can recharge that really concern me and why Hybrid seems a much better way.

Southampton is 310 miles from home and in August on our way home from our cruise the M1 was closed near Nottingham so I had a 30 mile detour and a 10 hour non stop drive instead of 6 hours on the way down to Southampton.

With petrol I have a 500 mile range and easy to top up petrol.

Graham.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Relieved that your results came back cancer clear Josy, and praying that the others come back with good news too. Keep positive, and look forward to a celebratatory cruise when its all over. x

Avril

When they rang me with the results my first thought was "YES, I can book a holiday" then she said that I had to have the other biopsy so I  can't  really do much until I get the results from that one but my cruise for next March is definitely looking good at the moment.  I am desperate for a holiday of some sort.  The cruise we have booked for March will be exactly 2 years from when we got home from our last one.  Hopefully when this is all over we will go somewhere in this country for a break.

• Like 11

Sharon did hint that it was nearly time for this thread to be painlessly pts a while back 😳 Alarming thought!

(Hope you’re feeling ok Sharon.  Fingers crossed it’ll be 3rd time lucky for your op)

Still crazy lovely weather for mid-October.  Short sleeves kind of thing.  We’ve been to the beach, which was very busy with walkers, doggy and non-doggy.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

It is the driving range of electric cars and how quickly the batteries can recharge that really concern me and why Hybrid seems a much better way.

Southampton is 310 miles from home and in August on our way home from our cruise the M1 was closed near Nottingham so I had a 30 mile detour and a 10 hour non stop drive instead of 6 hours on the way down to Southampton.

With petrol I have a 500 mile range and easy to top up petrol.

Graham.

Report today on the local BBC TV news about converting existing diesel engines to run on hydrogen. apparently it can be done and the only product is water vapour. A new fuel tank is required for the liquid hydrogen ( it is safe) Same time to refill as with diesel and the range is much better than battery.

They are constructing a hydrogen production plant in Kent using power from an offshore wind farm.

It seems to me that the refuelling time is what will put off lots of people with battery power. Hydrogen power either via fuel cell or existing engines looks more attractive as existing filling stations could replace their existing tank capacity.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, LynnForestgate said:

These stories are so nice to hear.

Delighted that this forum was and is there, for to keep in touch.

The forum is obviously dedicated to cruising, so it's good to have one particular thread where we can post to keep in touch or for the occasional chat. Going off topic on other threads does, understanderbly annoy many posters. The post count proves how popular it is.

Avril

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Sharon did hint that it was nearly time for this thread to be painlessly pts a while back 😳 Alarming thought!

(Hope you’re feeling ok Sharon.  Fingers crossed it’ll be 3rd time lucky for your op)

Still crazy lovely weather for mid-October.  Short sleeves kind of thing.  We’ve been to the beach, which was very busy with walkers, doggy and non-doggy.

This thread had been great and it has been so wonderful to get to know all of you and long may it continue! It has helped so many of us during the ups and downs of the last 18 months and given me many chuckles for varying reasons 🙄

Gill x

• Like 11

I hope that this thread doesn't get closed down, I rarely commented on any threads before this one.  I feel that I have got to know so many of you and would love to be fortunate enough to meet some of you on my future cruises.

I just had a call from the Novavax trial team changing my final appointment from 22nd to 26th October, it doesn't feel like only a year since the vaccine trials started.  I am astounded by how quickly the various vaccines were developed and deployed.  I am happy that I have been lucky enough to take a tiny part in the effort to get back to a more normal life.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I hope that this thread doesn't get closed down, I rarely commented on any threads before this one.  I feel that I have got to know so many of you and would love to be fortunate enough to meet some of you on my future cruises.

I just had a call from the Novavax trial team changing my final appointment from 22nd to 26th October, it doesn't feel like only a year since the vaccine trials started.  I am astounded by how quickly the various vaccines were developed and deployed.  I am happy that I have been lucky enough to take a tiny part in the effort to get back to a more normal life.

Everyone who took part in the trials etc are absolute heroes in my book. So thank you…..

Goodness knows what life would be like without the vaccine.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

Report today on the local BBC TV news about converting existing diesel engines to run on hydrogen. apparently it can be done and the only product is water vapour. A new fuel tank is required for the liquid hydrogen ( it is safe) Same time to refill as with diesel and the range is much better than battery.

They are constructing a hydrogen production plant in Kent using power from an offshore wind farm.

It seems to me that the refuelling time is what will put off lots of people with battery power. Hydrogen power either via fuel cell or existing engines looks more attractive as existing filling stations could replace their existing tank capacity.

I agree that hydrogen seems a much better long term option for all transport vehicles. The batteries and their raw materials make fully electric cars a very dodgy alternative to hydrocarbon fuels, and once enough  filling stations are converted to dispense hydrogen, it would offer the same convenience as petrol or diesel.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

Trouble is I remember a few years back the push to convert cars to LPG mainly because of cost of petrol and many cars did convert but seemed to very quickly stop happening and you dont see many cars around these days that have been converted to LPG.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Congratulations Josy - that's really good news.  No doubt you are right in that the next few weeks won't be much fun but at least you will be forewarned which will count for a lot.  Grit your teeth and bear it and then book a nice holiday to spoil yourself.  Best wishes.  Jane x

• Like 10

17 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

As from this month you need to get a code before can pick up a pack from pharmacy 

https://test-for-coronavirus.service.gov.uk/collect-lateral-flow-kits

Thank you for this.  I’ve not looked at this site for a while - was on a Monster of the Seas cruise last week - and we had not noticed this new requirement.

It’s amazing the amount of useful (non-cruise) information I’ve picked up on this site over the last 18 months, including good places to eat (thanks Graham @grapau27 - and I don’t mean McDonalds despite being partial to the occasional breakfast McMuffin myself 😉) and recommended places to stay in Southampton etc etc.  Long may this thread continue 🙏

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1