P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

37 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

We used to have ‘rock & chips’ for our Tuesday supper, after OH rugby practice.  25p I think 😳Goodness, I must be old!  Yes, it was the cheapest available then, and no fish cakes or curry sauce (or even mushy peas)

Could be worse,it might have been 5 bob.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

You must be one of the few that still have the app turned on.

2 of the 4 other people I was with on Monday both have the app, however only one has been pinged, we only had a small number of visitors on site that morning so we think it was one of those who has tested positive as none of my colleagues have. The app doesn’t distinguish inside from out and as we were outside most of the morning we are hopeful that neither of us will be positive. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

2 of the 4 other people I was with on Monday both have the app, however only one has been pinged, we only had a small number of visitors on site that morning so we think it was one of those who has tested positive as none of my colleagues have. The app doesn’t distinguish inside from out and as we were outside most of the morning we are hopeful that neither of us will be positive. 

6 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

It has been a busy morning our Tesco shop arrived no missing items or substitutions this week, however when I added some items yesterday I noticed there were a number of missing items which were removed from order, so yes delivery had no missing, but in reality there were a further 7 items that we would have ordered had they been in stock, better to be notified in advance rather than on the day so adjustments can be made. Also now have deliveries booked each week up to Christmas. 

That sounds promising for the virus - unlikely to have transferred outside.  Fingers crossed for you.

As for Tesco, by the way, with you entirely. It's infuriating, isn't it, to find that you can't amend an order in any way without kicking out items that you know will probably be in stock again on the morning of the delivery.

1 minute ago, Eddie99 said:

🤞you’ll all be fine Snow Hill.  As Harry says, outdoors is much less perilous than indoors

The turbot was good,  though we both said we prefer halibut as a ‘luxury’ fish.  Does anyone else eat samphire?
2359D0A1-838C-43C0-8C5F-24ABDF9CAD6E.thumb.jpeg.fa68f827eec2167793807428d4f2a860.jpeg

Samphire?    Yes please - when we can get it from Norfolk.  The supermarket stuff just doesn't cut it.

8 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

My fish man here in Dorset always has it but I think it comes from Norfolk. I’ll ask him next week

It could even be local - it can apparently be found in your area.  I only really know the Norfolk stuff, and that's fresh and seasonal.  A rare treat on the Norfolk coast. Emma (ccpm) might be a samphire lover too.

Anyone looked at Children in Need tonight.  We couldn't believe that the audience were screaming and shouting with not a mask in sight.    How was that thought to be acceptable.   As opposed to that... the presenters were about 6ft apart from each other.

Crazy at this crucial time  with the covid situation.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Anyone looked at Children in Need tonight.  We couldn't believe that the audience were screaming and shouting with not a mask in sight.    How was that thought to be acceptable.   As opposed to that... the presenters were about 6ft apart from each other.

I haven’t seen it but I am not surprised in the slightest. Mask wearing needs to be made mandatory in any public space, including schools, theatres, cinemas etc. It would have such a positive effect on the transmission of the virus but the will to impose it doesn’t seem to be there. Not really surprising considering the reluctance of too many politicians to wear one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, indiana123 said:

For goodness sake - everyone has been tested and vaccinated.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, indiana123 said:

I saw two old men in Wetherspoons today,  talking to each other,  and neither of them had a mask on. Fortunately I managed to drag one  of  them outside before he was contaminated!  

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Ok I appreciate what you are saying, but by  the very reason of the event it is  apparent that some of the audience could be vulnerable.

(We have a 16 yr old friend in Hospital very poorly at the moment)

Edited by indiana123
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

They may have been tested but any young children (under 12) will not have been vaccinated. Infection rates in UK are still high and show no signs of reducing. Hardly surprising considering the number of people not taking basic precautions which are advised but not mandated.

• Like 12

Have had a busy morning so far.

Headed off to Penzance with my daughter, first stop Tesco's so she can get some shopping. While there I met a couple of friends and stopped for a chat. Nest stop the PCR testing station (for want of a better description) in Marazion as she has a hospital appointment next week and then back to my GP's surgery for my flu jab. 

• Like 1

Consider this.

The 1918/19 flu pandemic killed about 228,000 in Great Britain. The current death toll for COVID is 144,000. Another 85,000 deaths and we will pass the 1918/19 total, despite having vastly superior medicine. 

Apparently the best mitigation back than was what we call social distancing, closing schools etc etc and wearing masks. Maybe we should continue along that path now.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Consider this.

The 1918/19 flu pandemic killed about 228,000 in Great Britain. The current death toll for COVID is 144,000. Another 85,000 deaths and we will pass the 1918/19 total, despite having vastly superior medicine. 

Apparently the best mitigation back than was what we call social distancing, closing schools etc etc and wearing masks. Maybe we should continue along that path now.

We are indeed creeping towards the Spanish flu pandemic figures.  However, the UK population of the UK is significantly higher than it was during that era (39.5M)

1918/19 pandemic deaths about 0.57% of the total population.

2019 -21 pandemic now about 0.21% of total population.

Still not good though.  And let's not forget that everyone is a person, not a number/statistic.  

And of course, there's different ways of presenting statistics....

• Like 4

13 hours ago, wowzz said:

Maybe, but around 10 guests were infected in a wedding held in this area three weeks ago. All vaccinated and some having had the booster. No hospitalisations but half a dozen have been really poorly with breathing difficulties including some very fit individuals in their 40s. Had to wear masks in the chapel, but not in the reception. 

Edited by Ardennais
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Maybe, but around 10 guests were infected in a wedding held in this area three weeks ago. All vaccinated and some having had the booster. No hospitalisations but half a dozen have been really poorly with breathing difficulties including some very fit individuals in their 40s. Had to wear masks in the chapel, but not in the reception. 

got to go to a wedding with about 100 guests in December.  Not looking forward to it at all.

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

got to go to a wedding with about 100 guests in December.  Not looking forward to it at all.

Us too a fortnight today - my niece is getting married. I’m very nervous as her grandparents (my parents) and her other grandparents will be there and the groom’s elderly grandparents too. And very little chance of spending time outdoors in Wales in December!

13 hours ago, indiana123 said:

Ok I appreciate what you are saying, but by  the very reason of the event it is  apparent that some of the audience could be vulnerable.

(We have a 16 yr old friend in Hospital very poorly at the moment)

Sending prayers 🙏 for a quick and full recovery for your friend Indiana.

Graham.