P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Phew it’s warm out there, our patio is quite sheltered and faces directly south and with zero breeze this morning just put up the brolly before I burn my head and neck. Thermometer gives a temperature of 24C, the greenhouse is 33C and door and window open! Not complaining though nice to be able to sit outside at last, seems this might be last day like this for a bit though. 

The Cosmos seeds a sowed on 22 March are already 3 showing through in 4 days, some of the sweet peas peaking through as well. Guess my Heath Robinson insulated cage on the greenhouse stsging is paying off, temperature inside it has not dropped below 6C in the last month, the main part of greenhouse has seen minimum temp of 1C. Saves on heating costs. 

On 3/24/2022 at 3:05 PM, Harry Peterson said:

Now there’s a subject - boiler replacement!  Ours is about the same age, and I’m having the same thoughts, though Worcester Bosch put a new heat exchanger and fan, plus various bits, into it in 2019 and tell me it should be good for another few years now.

What staggers me is the cost - not so much of the boiler itself, which seems pretty reasonable, but the labour charge for a straight replacement taking about a day and a half.

Brian will know why, maybe?

If replacing an old boiler with a combi boiler it isnt just a straight forward  swap with existing pipework. We had our Baxi replaced with a Worcester Bosch and had to have a larger pipe from gas meter to new combi boiler as old 15mm to Baxi boiler is not big enough for combi boiler. With reference to make of boiler like everything you get what you pay for and can have cheap or more expensive but can recommend Worcester Bosch very highly ours has been very reliable and efficient.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

Is there anywhere or anything people would recommend doing if we arrive down in Southampton a few hours early. 
we have 7&6 year old that need entertaining 

If the weather looks ok, you could take some snacks, park in Mayflower park and look at the ships and action on Southampton water. Get them all excited about their upcoming adventure. Don't let them read posts in here,whatever you do. But mum, these people are really anti P&O, do we have to go.🤣

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

Driving down to Southampton later for a pre-cruise night of hedonism and debauchery at the PI at the airport. Feel free to join us - knock three times at room 298, and ask for Big W. Please bring your own Sanatogen.

Hope you have a great cruise Wowzz - keep us posted.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

Driving down to Southampton later for a pre-cruise night of hedonism and debauchery at the PI at the airport. Feel free to join us - knock three times at room 298, and ask for Big W. Please bring your own Sanatogen.

Enjoy what sounds like a very interesting night. I’m just sorry I’m busy 🤣

Have a wonderful cruise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

Hope you have a wonderful cruise and that the weather is kind to you

Michelle

• Like 1

Currently tearing my hair out. 

found a cruise, a late deal yesterday. Spent ages rearranging my holiday days around, all good, sorted school out, sorted all the money out for it. 

waiting on hubbys holidays. He can’t remember if he has training that week, no one is in till after 6pm tomorrow night to send the rota to see if he can book it off so I’m sat twiddling my thumbs trying not to get excited. 

really want a holiday 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Currently tearing my hair out. 

found a cruise, a late deal yesterday. Spent ages rearranging my holiday days around, all good, sorted school out, sorted all the money out for it. 

waiting on hubbys holidays. He can’t remember if he has training that week, no one is in till after 6pm tomorrow night to send the rota to see if he can book it off so I’m sat twiddling my thumbs trying not to get excited. 

really want a holiday 

That is so frustrating. So many people in the workplace have exactly the same problem. Waiting on annual leave 'authorisations' ; people to swap shifts with etc. 

It's a shame that cruise lines don't do the same as BA. They will hold your flight and price for 72 hours  for £5/£10 (depending on destination) Then if you book, they refund the hold deposit.

Good luck with it and hope it works out for you.  🤞

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, alpha whiskey said:

That is so frustrating. So many people in the workplace have exactly the same problem. Waiting on annual leave 'authorisations' ; people to swap shifts with etc. 

It's a shame that cruise lines don't do the same as BA. They will hold your flight and price for 72 hours  for £5/£10 (depending on destination) Then if you book, they refund the hold deposit.

Good luck with it and hope it works out for you.  🤞

LOL. The excitement of BA. Off to Lanzarote on Wednesday. Booked from Gatwick. They stopped Gatwick and rescheduled from Heathrow direct, then via Madrid. Then direct again. Back to Gatwick North, then South. Booked valet parking. Today's email is they are delaying valet, so I can park in the short term for the same price. I think we are going to Lanzarote from Gatwick on Wednesday, but early days yet , still 4 days for some more changes. At least P&O will go from Southampton,........perhaps.🤔

• Haha 2

A lovely day here in Bolton. Like most of the country temperatures are much higher than expected for this time of year. We spent most of the day tidying up in the garden and then I went up the road to my daughters to sit with her two youngest boys while her and and my son-in-law took their eldest boy to see Animal Farm at the Lowry in Manchester. They said it was amazing. I have just taken this photo of my dwarf magnolia. I bought it 5 years ago after my lovely next door neighbour Audrey died. Although she was 20 years older than me we had a lovely relationship. She had an amazing magnolia and gave me so many gardening tips and cuttings. This is the first year it has looked so good.CB1C3C7F-B623-41DD-B5A0-21855E3755A7.thumb.jpeg.20753a55d858c238477e1c5145d5c4c9.jpeg

• Like 11

15 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

A lovely day here in Bolton. Like most of the country temperatures are much higher than expected for this time of year. We spent most of the day tidying up in the garden and then I went up the road to my daughters to sit with her two youngest boys while her and and my son-in-law took their eldest boy to see Animal Farm at the Lowry in Manchester. They said it was amazing. I have just taken this photo of my dwarf magnolia. I bought it 5 years ago after my lovely next door neighbour Audrey died. Although she was 20 years older than me we had a lovely relationship. She had an amazing magnolia and gave me so many gardening tips and cuttings. This is the first year it has looked so good.CB1C3C7F-B623-41DD-B5A0-21855E3755A7.thumb.jpeg.20753a55d858c238477e1c5145d5c4c9.jpeg

A beautiful photograph. What a lovely setting.

• Like 1

Thanks Presto. We bought this house 16 years ago, not for the house, which was a doer upper, but for the outlook. How long this will last we don’t know as Peel Holdings now own the extensive former Hulton Estate. Planning permission for a golf course is an ongoing but  it looks like it will be rejected. That means they will build houses on the land. In the meantime the farmer who rents the land is continuing to carry on as normal. The cows should be back out soon, always lovely to see.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

Is there anywhere or anything people would recommend doing if we arrive down in Southampton a few hours early. 
we have 7&6 year old that need entertaining 

There is always Ikea!!  More or less opposite Gate 10. Could go to the cafe on the top floor and the kids will have a view of the ship.

16 minutes ago, CRUISENSNOOZE said:

There is always Ikea!!  More or less opposite Gate 10. Could go to the cafe on the top floor and the kids will have a view of the ship.

hahaha 🤣 

this is what we told them when they were 4&3 going on a cruise for the first time. We said it was a trip to ikea as eldest hates shopping 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jennizor said:

Thanks Presto. We bought this house 16 years ago, not for the house, which was a doer upper, but for the outlook. How long this will last we don’t know as Peel Holdings now own the extensive former Hulton Estate. Planning permission for a golf course is an ongoing but  it looks like it will be rejected. That means they will build houses on the land. In the meantime the farmer who rents the land is continuing to carry on as normal. The cows should be back out soon, always lovely to see.

Sounds so beautiful and really hope the farmer stays put and those houses don't appear. We have a lovely view from our back garden and are thankful that at the moment there is little chance of anyone building on it. Continue to enjoy that beautiful sunset 😉

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CRUISENSNOOZE said:

Mayflower Park near the Holiday Inn --- a big open space and they have an ice cream van. You can watch the ships coming and going too and the little 'uns can blow some steam off ;-0

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zap99 said:

If the weather looks ok, you could take some snacks, park in Mayflower park and look at the ships and action on Southampton water. Get them all excited about their upcoming adventure. Don't let them read posts in here,whatever you do. But mum, these people are really anti P&O, do we have to go.🤣

they loved the last cruise so I don’t think they would take any notice of the comments. I don’t either. The cruises are relatively cheap holidays so good bargains for us. Just killing me now to wait to see if we can go. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

No one knocking as yet !

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

No one knocking as yet !

Oh sorry... we picked up a few mates then drove down, but misread your post and went to  West Quay PI.  We thought we would have a quick drink but you know how it is, we had one too many.   Sorry.  Hope you aren't lonely.  Must say the man in room 298 at West Quay didn't take our intrusion well!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

hahaha 🤣 

this is what we told them when they were 4&3 going on a cruise for the first time. We said it was a trip to ikea as eldest hates shopping 

She'll grow into it.🤣

9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Have a good cruise wowzz, we went on Arcadia back in 2006, after Coral Princess it seemed a bit staid and old fashioned and not for us young 'uns, but it should be OK for your age now!😁

Cheeky !

No visitors last night,  but fortunately we had brought a copy of Women's Weekly with us !

• Haha 3

Do places like Canary Islands and Spain and Portugal allow you to pay with credit cards etc at card machines? Or is it just cash? 

don’t usually use or take cash with us and last time we went abroad which was usa we just used the credit card as it was a travel one and paid when we got back.