P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

21 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Have just seen all of these posts about the bands you have all seen and it made me think of anyone famous I had met:

My claim to fame:

I saw Cliff Richard at the NEC  .... nothing too risky compared to some of the others eh?!

I sat by David Mccallum on the underground -- well think it was him ... if not it was his double

Nearly got run over by Diana Dors in London in her Rolls

Met Robert Powell and wife Babs in Cyprus Easter Saturday night  ...... and told him I had a goldfish named after him (Oh the shame ...... was tongue tied)

Met Gareth Campbell from That's Life in a hotel in Greece where we were all staying. 

Was in the same hotel and stayed alongside Trigger from Only Fools

Hubby stayed in same hotel and in the restaurant as Dave Allen

Hubby walked past Sue Pollard at Windsor Castle

Struggling now ...... 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 

Anyone met anyone famous?

Dave Edmunds lived above my shop in Monmouth (horrible man)... 

I nearly ran over Jack Boswells from Bread on The Strand. 

Fitted carpet for quite a few celebrities in London over the years but most of them tend to have 'people' organising stuff... 

Andy 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Can't believe I had forgotten to mention .....

William Shatner (Capt Kirk) and Walter Koenig (Chekov) at a Star Trek convention. (NO we did not dress up) for the 50th anniversary. 

We spoke to both of them ----------- how did I forget this one ??!!!!

We also visited the BBC TARDIS set of Dr Who in Cardiff and met a REAL Dalek and a Weeping Angel ---

you have to be in to sci fi to get this

😉

• Like 4

1 hour ago, purplesea said:

Mainly sport related whilst working

Des Lynam 

Willie John McBride

Henry Cooper

Paddy Feeny (presenter of Young Scientist of the Year)

Christopher Martin Jenkin (Cricket Commentator)

John Motson (Football Commentator)

What was your job - sounds really interesting

Shook hands with Vera Lynn, Lord Mountbatten, and Princess Margaret (yes really Zap but I was young then!). Met John Toshack and John Snagge. Saw Kenn Dodd in a kiosk at Euston Station. 

Edited by Ardennais
  • Like 2

BB King and entourage were on the next table at breakfast in Montreux, Switzerland during the Jazz Festival.  

Sarah Palin was sat on the row in front of me on an early morning flight from Anchorage and greeted me with ‘How you doing?’ as I came out of the toilet and she was waiting to go in.  (Would have loved to have said ‘Well, since you’ve asked ………… 😉)

I was at the desk checking in for a flight from Verona to Gatwick when I noticed a smart old man in an overcoat at the next counter. It was Charlie Watts.

That’s it for VIPs - I don’t think Melinda Messenger counts 😄

• Like 2

Met a few from various walks of life

Shared a table in an Italian Restaurant in London with a young John McEnroe and his parents, this was1977 the year he reached the semi final at his first Wimbledon 

Met then PM Tony Blair at an IT conference in early 2000s

Met Gordon Brown at a Union conference in 2006

Prince Charles came to where I worked in mid 1970s my employer was host a Prince’s Trust event he was shown around a few parts of the business including the Computer Room where I worked, he asked me a few questions

Tony Benn whilst on visit to Parliament at invitation of my local MP

Sat 2 seats away from Gordon Strachan in a hotel restaurant in Edinburgh 

Tony Robinson at TUC conference in Blackpool 

Noddy Holder from Slade, I was friends with his cousin at the time

The actor who played Tosh Lines in the Bill on the tube on a number of occasions, never spoke to him though.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

What was your job - sounds really interesting

I used to work in the BBC World Service Sports Department.

I also met Simon Reid (he was one of our presenters and Oliver Reid's brother)

Edited by purplesea
  • Like 3

Just now, purplesea said:

I used to work in the BBC World Service Sports Department.

I also met Simon Reid (he was one of our presenters and Oliver Reid's brother)

Used to know someone involved in the BBC. Had music lessons from his mother. His surname was Dulson

• Like 1

Good morning everyone been awake some while now a bit excited today and sad as we are flying out to fuerteventura today to take my father in law to live now with his daughter who lives out there, we’re stay a few days for rest and a bit of sun then home to clear out his flat and get rid of all his furniture, it’s taken 9 months to get all this sorted out visa etc and all the legal stuff it was a nightmare for my husband to do since his mum died last year and he certainly deserves and break now and we can both start living our lives now , I know he will love living out there he’s got friends and all the sports bars to watch all his sports he watches all day long , he’s 87 so maybe the sun and heat will do him a world of good for his bones .

Have a lovely week everyone and I hope the sunshine shines for you all too ,

On the subject of VIPs we have met a few in Fortnum and masons , and concerts but our most important one was the Queen when she invited us for afternoon tea  and we actually got to talk to her .

• Like 11

10 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Fitted carpet for quite a few celebrities in London over the years but most of them tend to have 'people' organising stuff... 

Andy 

When he was being a pain,did you all sing "I hear you knocking" up at the ceiling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I stood next to Glenn Close in the Globe Theatre outside bar area a few years ago and met Bobby Ball many years ago. Prince William walked past me in Kensington Gardens, close enough to reach out and grab him, I didn’t think that would go down too well with his security team though so I didn’t try it 😂. I’ve also met a few authors at signings, Celia Imrie, Harlan Cobden & RJ Ellory and got kissed by Jean Christophe Novellie at a food fayre at Leeds Castle.

Thats all my tired addled brain can remember at the moment. I finished packing at 11pm last night, then just as my husband was going to sleep I announced I’d forgotten to pack my walking boots, so I’ll be wearing those to board now 😏

I’m looking after our grandson til 5pm today, then we’ll have a quick bite to eat, pick up up sister & brother in law and leave for Southampton. 

Firstly got to do the Covid tests 🤞🏼

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, brian1 said:

I literally bumped into Sting when I walked out of a pub in Hampstead village after a couple of lunchtime pints back in the 90s.

I bet he stepped back and said 🎶Dont Stand So Close To Me 🎶

• Haha 8

40 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I stood next to Glenn Close in the Globe Theatre outside bar area a few years ago and met Bobby Ball many years ago. Prince William walked past me in Kensington Gardens, close enough to reach out and grab him, I didn’t think that would go down too well with his security team though so I didn’t try it 😂. I’ve also met a few authors at signings, Celia Imrie, Harlan Cobden & RJ Ellory and got kissed by Jean Christophe Novellie at a food fayre at Leeds Castle.

Thats all my tired addled brain can remember at the moment. I finished packing at 11pm last night, then just as my husband was going to sleep I announced I’d forgotten to pack my walking boots, so I’ll be wearing those to board now 😏

I’m looking after our grandson til 5pm today, then we’ll have a quick bite to eat, pick up up sister & brother in law and leave for Southampton. 

I meant Harlan Coben, I’m very tired 

12 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

Edited by alpha whiskey
Brian1 beat me to it!!

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

Have a lovely time Sarah, and I am sure you will.

Sunny day down here but still a bit breezy, although we have showers forecast again!

Spent yesterday talking to some of the local travel agents as Ambassador have released their itineries for 2023 and dates sailing from Falmouth. They are sailing September and October next year, but typically I have already got a cruise booked for September🙄 but I have been a link to the virtual presentation that is taking place this afternoon. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Have a lovely time Sarah, and I am sure you will.

Thank you 😁

Our tests are done, both negative! I did take the photo without putting the testing cassette on the report card 😏 I still got my result confirmation email though. I called Prenetics and they said that was ok. I emailed them a correct photo as well though just to put my mind at rest. 
My sister & brother in law are negative too, mum & dad are going to Lloyds in a few hours to get theirs done.

This all feels very real now!

• Like 6

@SarahHben have a lovely time on your cruise, the first one is special.  I am sure that you will come back hooked like the rest of us.  Don't forget to wear you special fitted dress as early as you can during the cruise before you have eaten the lovely food. Please post some pictures for those of us who are still at home.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Thank you 😁

Our tests are done, both negative! I did take the photo without putting the testing cassette on the report card 😏 I still got my result confirmation email though. I called Prenetics and they said that was ok. I emailed them a correct photo as well though just to put my mind at rest. 
My sister & brother in law are negative too, mum & dad are going to Lloyds in a few hours to get theirs done.

A good feeling when you get that negative result. I did mine early so just a few things to do before setting off for Southampton

• Like 3

At a Leeds Rhinos Rugby League Club dinner years ago we sat next to a lovely young man called Rob Burrow. Then the players rotated for the second course and we were sat next to another great young chap, Kevin Sinfield. Kevin stayed behind and chatted to us all long after a lot of the other players had left for the evening. 

Of course rugby league is a bit of a minority sport in the UK these days but now everyone knows these guys for the saddest of reasons.

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 3

I don't quite know why but this morning I have woken up aching, I can only put it down to bowling last night, when I had a long hard game and only just managed to win by 2 chalks.

I am meeting 5 friends for lunch today to celebrate the birthday of one of them, so a nice afternoon is planned.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Thank you 😁

You are nearly there Sarah…!

Hope all goes well with your Mum and Dad’s tests and then have a truly fantastic cruise. The first one is always so very magical.

Bon Voyage…….

Gill x

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1