P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

4 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

The children are now in school,  I don't know how people manage having to get 2 teenagers out of the house and to school every day, those 2 have to be reminded every couple of minutes that they need to speed up.  Any of you out there who have to do this on a daily basis have my deepest sympathy.

My daughter has four children. Two in upper school and two in primary and they are all at different schools. Fortunately one goes on the school bus but still three drop offs. I don’t know how she does it

Michelle

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

My daughter has four children. Two in upper school and two in primary and they are all at different schools. Fortunately one goes on the school bus but still three drop offs. I don’t know how she does it

Michelle

I can't  imagine trying to organise 4 children, perhaps it is because we never had any.  We just got to do fun things with my niece's children.

• Like 2

We had a record number of clients at the food bank this morning and I can only see it getting worse.  I was really fed up when I took 3 very full, heavy bags out to one lady and she said "Is this all, I need more than this", when I told her that she had everything that was on the standard list for a couple she just replied "I am going to go look for another food bank because this is useless".  It is the first time I have had anyone so rude but one of the other volunteers told me that last week she had a man swearing at her.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I can't  imagine trying to organise 4 children, perhaps it is because we never had any.  We just got to do fun things with my niece's children.

She has them all well organised and they all know what they have to do.

I am collecting them all tomorrow from school and they are all sleeping over with me Friday night and going home Saturday tea time.

A busy time ahead but I love it. We have just bought a trampoline for them which is in our garden so they are looking forward to trying that out.

Michelle

• Like 4

I had a busy morning at the jab clinic, all the volunteers were  offered our flu jabs as they had a good supply and just before we finished there were some no shows so had my Autumn covid booster as well, so probably 2 sore arms tonight but hey-ho. Most of the people were great with just the grumpy old sod moaning about the hand gel or mask or having to wait more than a couple of nano seconds to get the jab while they were booked in.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

21 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We had a record number of clients at the food bank this morning and I can only see it getting worse.  I was really fed up when I took 3 very full, heavy bags out to one lady and she said "Is this all, I need more than this", when I told her that she had everything that was on the standard list for a couple she just replied "I am going to go look for another food bank because this is useless".  It is the first time I have had anyone so rude but one of the other volunteers told me that last week she had a man swearing at her.

Whilst I understand that many people are under a lot of stress and strain now, it amazes me that some can be so ungrateful when getting something for nothing...

• Like 13

39 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Incredulous.  Hopefully this rude and ungrateful person will find another food bank and neither you or your altruistic colleagues will have the misfortune of dealing with them again.

• Like 8

44 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Some people are just unbelievable and so rude too. I am sure the majority are very grateful of anything 

I am really noticing now the increased prices on nearly everything 

Michelle

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I had a busy morning at the jab clinic, all the volunteers were  offered our flu jabs as they had a good supply and just before we finished there were some no shows so had my Autumn covid booster as well, so probably 2 sore arms tonight but hey-ho. Most of the people were great with just the grumpy old sod moaning about the hand gel or mask or having to wait more than a couple of nano seconds to get the jab while they were booked in.

Glad you managed to get both injections even though you had a couple of moaners

Michelle

11 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Glad you managed to get both injections even though you had a couple of moaners

Michelle

The injections were a bonus, I was having them both next week anyway so at least there will be a couple of new appointments for someone else. You get used to the moaners, its a bit like being on a cruise sometimes😷

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I am beginning to think that some people just like to complain, it doesn't  matter whether we are helping with the vaccine roll out, working in the food banks or in charity shops we seem to come across them.  My friend who helps in a local charity shop once told me that they get people coming in trying to barter the prices down.  We can whinge about them but we can't change them.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

This is one of the major problems with people receiving free food, or free anything, in time they begin to consider it a right, and no longer feel any gratitude to the organisation or its volunteers. 

I recognise that it is needed, but it should be a last resort after people have made as many economies as they are able.  Cigarettes, alcohol, mobile phone contracts and subscription TV are just a few of the things that should be abandoned, before people need to visit a food bank.

• Like 12

Regarding mobile phones ,there are nurses out there who are using food banks and

mobile phones . Also people who may have lost there job, like in the hospitality  industry

(through no fault of their  own ) and need a phone to get apply for  other jobs .

I am just grateful that we do not find ourselves in that situation and have people like 

Josy and Phil to help these people out ,even if a selfish one comes along now and again .

• Like 16

I may have the wrong end of the stick but I believe there are circumstances where people on benefits need to interact with the DWP etc using a smartphone.  Fossils like us (ironically here using phones, tablets, wi-fi and the rest) are making a mistake by thinking it’s not necessary to be connected to live a normal life

btw, phone contracts aren’t necessarily expensive.  My sim-only monthly rolling contract, with unlimited phone & text and 4gb of data is £6 a month.  Hardly within the realms of luxury

… of course people shouldn’t be rude to volunteers but people probably shouldn’t be in circumstances which lead to them needing to rely on food hand-outs.  Can you imagine how that must feel?  I don’t think it would help any of us improve our *sweetness and light* quotient.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

One of the other volunteers at our foodbank has just put a link on our Whatsapp to our local paper about the abuse that some foodbank volunteers have been getting because they are closing on Monday.  I  sometimes wonder why we bother.

You should do zero tolerance like hospitals. Any abuse and you don't get served. There really is no excuse for it.

• Like 12

4 hours ago, kalos said:

Regarding mobile phones, there are nurses out there who are using food banks and

mobile phones. Also, people who may have lost their job, like in the hospitality industry

(Through no fault of their own) and need a phone to get apply for other jobs.

I am just grateful that we do not find ourselves in that situation and have people like 

Josy and Phil to help these people out, even if a selfish one comes along now and again.

I totally agree

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

You have the patience of a saint because if she had spoken to me like that I wouldnt have given them her and taken them back in and give them to somebody more grateful.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Good, you should have been entitled to one anyway working at the clinic. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

I may have the wrong end of the stick but I believe there are circumstances where people on benefits need to interact with the DWP etc using a smartphone.  Fossils like us (ironically here using phones, tablets, wi-fi and the rest) are making a mistake by thinking it’s not necessary to be connected to live a normal life

btw, phone contracts aren’t necessarily expensive.  My sim-only monthly rolling contract, with unlimited phone & text and 4gb of data is £6 a month.  Hardly within the realms of luxury

… of course people shouldn’t be rude to volunteers but people probably shouldn’t be in circumstances which lead to them needing to rely on food hand-outs.  Can you imagine how that must feel?  I don’t think it would help any of us improve our *sweetness and light* quotient.

I always wonder whether mildly ‘rude’ adults have hidden problems. Like children, they have no filter. And having seen so many children with problems over the years, I know that these problems don’t suddenly disappear as they become adults. 

• Like 2

Hi Yorkshirephill, pleased you had both of your jabs.

Hi Josy1953, never a truer saying "Give an inch and they take a mile", I think the same as majortom10 and would have given them to someone else.

You should have a notice up, saying (please be polite to our staff, as you are most likely to leave empty handed if you are not).

• Like 1