P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

No ISP gives you free broadband, TV to Landline , so of course the bill is larger, but for the last 9 months my mobile bill has been zero, rather than £10. The landline will be next to go as it due to move to VOIP as copper cable are phased out, we have been told it will happen within next 6 to 9 months. As we rarely use the landline it won’t be missed as people usually call us on out mobiles, seems only scam artists still use landline. 

So you do pay for your mobile phone,  albeit wrapped up in a package.  To say you had a free mobile phone package was disingenuous! There is no such thing as a free lunch.

As we have no mobile phone service around here, the BT landline is a godsend. 

Not everyone is in the same position as yourself. 

Morning all, so much to catch up on!

Dad was suddenly released from hospital lateish on Monday but I didn’t post as he went straight back last time! I tried to argue but no care package was given!

He’s definitely better than he was last time but he was regressing a bit in hospital. They’ve  gone back to their flat as it’s all ground floor and they’re coping ok.

I’ve  cancelled our couple of nights to Portsmouth we were due to go on tomorrow to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary on Monday!! Glad I have cancelled now as I’m not sure we would have found a restaurant open Monday.

On the subject of jabs, thanks for reminding me as my Mum had a text about it and we were waiting for my Dad to come out before we booked them and we haven’t done it yet! 

• Like 13

On 9/14/2022 at 7:21 PM, SarahHben said:

I made it to Disneyland Paris! The apartment is 10-15 walk from the park and we can see the park from our balcony. Going to watch the fireworks from here this evening as I’m exhausted. 

A943C776-8558-4D4B-A69E-94329D2523C4.jpeg

So pleased you made it, have a great time ☺️

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Dad was suddenly released from hospital lateish on Monday but I didn’t post as he went straight back last time! I tried to argue but no care package was given!

He’s definitely better than he was last time but he was regressing a bit in hospital. They’ve  gone back to their flat as it’s all ground floor and they’re coping ok.

I’ve  cancelled our couple of nights to Portsmouth we were due to go on tomorrow to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary on Monday!! Glad I have cancelled now as I’m not sure we would have found a restaurant open Monday.

On the subject of jabs, thanks for reminding me as my Mum had a text about it and we were waiting for my Dad to come out before we booked them and we haven’t done it yet! 

It is good to hear that your dad is back home and that your parents are coping.  I always feel that it is better to be home rather than in hospital, at least he can eat and drink what he likes and potter around their home.

Happy Anniversary for Monday.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Lovely blue skies again but it is definitely cold today only 8°.  The heating has switched on, another reminder that winter is approaching and that for some people they are not going to be able to afford to leave it on.  I was just thinking how as a childten my siblings and I used to wake up to frost on the windows but mum and dad would already be up and the fire was lit so that we would be warm when we got up.  I am hoping for a bit of warm sun this afternoon for our final match this season.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 9

On the subject of travel problems I’ve heard of lots lately. One friend had to get a train to Edinburgh instead of a plane as her flight was cancelled.

Another friend was waiting to check in at Eurostar in London to go to the South of France when they got a text telling them their train back was cancelled! So they spent a lot of their holiday online trying to sort out the return trip!

Finally another friend was delayed by 4 days coming home from Turkey last week so she lost two days pay from her job!! Luckily her daughter lives there so she had somewhere to stay! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

Good to hear your dad is home, I am sure both him and you mum will be much happier.

Congratulations for your wedding anniversary on Monday, hope you have a good day

Michelle

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

Lovely blue skies again but it is definitely cold today only 8°.  The heating has switched on, another reminder that winter is approaching and that for some people they are not going to be able to afford to leave it on.  I was just thinking how as a childten my siblings and I used to wake up to frost on the windows but mum and dad would already be up and the fire was lit so that we would be warm when we got up.  I am hoping for a bit of warm sun this afternoon for our final match this season.

Have a good day everyone

Cool here this morning too.

Grandchildren are here so hubby has switched the heating on. I can’t stand it cold either so I’m not complaining.

Going to a play gym with them soon where they do lovely coffee so all is good for everyone

Have a nice day everyone 

Michelle

• Like 6

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

Great news that you parents are both back together in their flat.

I suspect postponing (and hopefully not cancelling) your trip on Monday is a good idea as it’ll be a very odd day.

I’ve been very impressed with the respect everyone has shown the monarchy this last week. There have been a couple of ill timed exceptions but watching it on all tv (and I appreciate not everyone will feel the same) makes me feel proud.

Have a good weekend everyone.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

I’ve been very impressed with the respect everyone has shown the monarchy this last week. There have been a couple of ill timed exceptions but watching it on all tv

The coverage has been good, especially on BBC red button and YouTube for anyone wanting 

to watch the lying in state live but without the commentary .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Pleased to hear your dad is feeling a little better Sue.

I think you made a wise decision to cancel your 2 night trip to Portsmouth and prayers 🙏 your dad stays well.

Happy 35th wedding anniversary wishes for Monday.

Graham.

61c0783bc2559bbe47d433b1bf2dd0d9.gif.766b13aac91c4b0dd4b29c79688f3b1b.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peanut006 said:

Cool here this morning too.

Grandchildren are here so hubby has switched the heating on. I can’t stand it cold either so I’m not complaining.

Going to a play gym with them soon where they do lovely coffee so all is good for everyone

Have a nice day everyone 

Michelle

Enjoy your day with your Grandchildren, have a good weekend.

• Like 1

Please to hear your dads out of hospital and back home.

Congratulations for Monday, have a lovely day and a good weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Amelia Noylam said:

Please to hear your dads out of hospital and back home.

Congratulations for Monday, have a lovely day and a good weekend.

Thank you, I think Monday will be a very strange day so we’ve booked a table for lunch on Sunday.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

The heating has switched on, another reminder that winter is approaching and that for some people they are not going to be able to afford to leave it on.

Just a money saving tip  for everyone ...😀

lightson.jpeg.0d8fbc3e13fc613d2fc3b5131ac339a9.jpeg

• Haha 13

I think the following may have been in the same area, if not the same Hospital.

My friend love her Mother in Law and did loads for her even at a distance.  When she was in Hospital they tried to discharge her late one night.  No way could they cope at the time.   My friend knew about the care packages and asked to see it.  Nothing had been discussed or sorted.  In the end she sadly had to grit her teeth and  say "I am her Daughter in Law, not her carer, and I am not a nurse"  and she calmly walked away.  The care package was in place by the next afternoon.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, indiana123 said:

I think the following may have been in the same area, if not the same Hospital.

My friend love her Mother in Law and did loads for her even at a distance.  When she was in Hospital they tried to discharge her late one night.  No way could they cope at the time.   My friend knew about the care packages and asked to see it.  Nothing had been discussed or sorted.  In the end she sadly had to grit her teeth and  say "I am her Daughter in Law, not her carer, and I am not a nurse"  and she calmly walked away.  The care package was in place by the next afternoon.

So sad. We’d just got home after visiting and it was very busy on the roads and took a while, just as we got home Dad phoned to say he could go! He said leave it a while as his meds weren’t ready. An hour later we were just going to go when the sister on his ward said ‘are you coming to collect him or do I have to arrange an ambulance ‘ 😡 So they were going to send him out anyway!

My friend works on the reception desk at the hospital and said they often pay for taxis  to send the meds home as they aren’t ready on time, what a great use of NHS money!

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, wowzz said:

So you do pay for your mobile phone,  albeit wrapped up in a package.  To say you had a free mobile phone package was disingenuous! There is no such thing as a free lunch.

As we have no mobile phone service around here, the BT landline is a godsend. 

Not everyone is in the same position as yourself. 

But I do have a free mobile phone package, although with same ISP, the Mobile package is separate from the TV, Broadband etc, separate billing, separate account, separate website, thus my monthly airtime contract up is £0, the phone itself is not in contract as I own it outright. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

But I do have a free mobile phone package, although with same ISP, the Mobile package is separate from the TV, Broadband etc, separate billing, separate account, separate website, thus my monthly airtime contract up is £0, the phone itself is not in contract as I own it outright. 

Fair enough. If you did not have the TV, Broadband pacakage, could you still keep the free mobile package ?

18 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

I have had the same phone plan with o2 since around 1987 on the old Text and web plan .

There is no time set for top ups , just use the phone once a year ,which could be a text to myself .

It comes at a hefty rate, phone calls .55p per minute and texts .30p per message, so I can get away with .30P per year . Most stuff I do is via my ISP provider which has no charge to my phone.

Going back to someone who was unemployed my phone plan would not be much use to a job

hunter making phone calls at .55p per minute .

• Like 1