P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

I was moved to see the grandchildren, ranging in age from 44 to 14, managing to do this difficult task.

I wonder if others feel, as I do, that if Charles can cut down the official Royals to himself, William, Anne,  Edward and their admirable spouses, plus saving taxpayers money on the upkeep of the many Royal homes |(I don't know how many we pay for, but it should be minimal)  this would help to keep the monarchy as our way of having a leader of the country.  As opposed to a President,  or whatever they might be called.  Especially looking at some of the recent leaders of other countries.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I was moved to see the grandchildren, ranging in age from 44 to 14, managing to do this difficult task.

I wonder if others feel, as I do, that if Charles can cut down the official Royals to himself, William, Anne,  Edward and their admirable spouses, plus saving taxpayers money on the upkeep of the many Royal homes |(I don't know how many we pay for, but it should be minimal)  this would help to keep the monarchy as our way of having a leader of the country.  As opposed to a President,  or whatever they might be called.  Especially looking at some of the recent leaders of other countries.

We should be proud of our Royal family but I agree that we have too many "minor" royals.

Princess Anne and the Earl and Countess are some of the most hard working royals and should be kept but the rest could easily be cut off and not be missed.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Yes for the remainder of the contract

I know I am being picky, but that means you only have free mobile service whilst paying for the rest of your contract.  So, in reality, it is not possible to have a free stand alone mobile service.  

14 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I know I am being picky, but that means you only have free mobile service whilst paying for the rest of your contract.  So, in reality, it is not possible to have a free stand alone mobile service.  

It is a stand alone, the free sim is until the end of the mobile contract, which is 18 months, (I have 9 months left, separate from the Broadband TV contract) once that time is up then it’s up for negotiation so I will see what happens then, or I can switch to another sim only contract elsewhere.

9 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

It is a stand alone, the free sim is until the end of the mobile contract, which is 18 months, (I have 9 months left, separate from the Broadband TV contract) once that time is up then it’s up for negotiation so I will see what happens then, or I can switch to another sim only contract elsewhere.

OK - I know I am being really pedantic, but it seems to me that you only have a free mobile service because of your other contracts.  Would that  be right ?

To a degree yes, but the contracts are separate, the broadband, TV Contract is 12 months, the mobile airtime is 18 months, so I could cancel the broadband contract at end of 12 months and keep the free sim until the contract on that runs out. They are 2 separate contracts with separate accounts & billing.

When the current deals end I will see what is offered and then haggle for a better deal, which is what I have done for the last 5 or more years.

When the Broadband/Tv/Landline deal is up I have already seen what I would want to replace it, we would drop the landline and save the cost of monthly line rental, the landline is hardly used, last outgoing call was 6 weeks ago, no one calls us on landline always call on mobile either standard voice call or a video call via WhatsApp or Skype.

When making a call via mobile from home the phone uses the WiFi, rather than mobile network, this was useful last week as I was attending a meeting in a known mobile black spot, and could get hold of security to open doors, connected to the WiFi and made the call that way. 

52 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

To a degree yes, but the contracts are separate, the broadband, TV Contract is 12 months, the mobile airtime is 18 months, so I could cancel the broadband contract at end of 12 months and keep the free sim until the contract on that runs out. They are 2 separate contracts with separate accounts & billing.

When the current deals end I will see what is offered and then haggle for a better deal, which is what I have done for the last 5 or more years.

When the Broadband/Tv/Landline deal is up I have already seen what I would want to replace it, we would drop the landline and save the cost of monthly line rental, the landline is hardly used, last outgoing call was 6 weeks ago, no one calls us on landline always call on mobile either standard voice call or a video call via WhatsApp or Skype.

When making a call via mobile from home the phone uses the WiFi, rather than mobile network, this was useful last week as I was attending a meeting in a known mobile black spot, and could get hold of security to open doors, connected to the WiFi and made the call that way. 

Thanks for the update. I would love to get rid of our landline,  but our mobile signal is sporadic, to say the least. 

When I do an online transaction that requires me to enter a OTP,  I have to walk around the garden waving my phone in the air,  trying for a signal ! 

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Thanks for the update. I would love to get rid of our landline,  but our mobile signal is sporadic, to say the least. 

When I do an online transaction that requires me to enter a OTP,  I have to walk around the garden waving my phone in the air,  trying for a signal ! 

Our mobile signal here is really bad as well but my Husband has activated the Wi-Fi calling on our phones so we get a good signal now. He told next door as well so their’s is good now as well. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Angel57 said:

They did indeed. Sophie and Edward’s son at just 14 was very composed but reminded me of Prince William at Diana’s funeral. 🥲

I said the same to my Husband, from the side he looked just like William (when he had hair) I think it was the quiff.

12 hours ago, lincslady said:

I think King Charles will definitely have to keep The Princess Royal and The Earl of Wessex, they and their spouses have been doing a marvellous job helping to shoulder the burden the last week. They are all very hardworking as well. Plus he hasn’t got Harry now . I am still keeping my fingers crossed he will honour his late Father and Mother’s wishes and make Edward the Duke of Edinburgh. He was just made an Earl on his marriage and not a Duke, as would be normal, as he was expected to take the title his Father held. The Dukes of Kent and Gloucester and Prince Michael of Kent are now elderly and do very few Royal engagements if any, I expect after the funeral we won’t really see them again.

Balmoral and Sandringham are both private residences and not owed by the State. The Royal Family bring in lots of tourists and therefore money to this country and the Royal Residences are where they always head so if they did get rid of any palaces/castles they would have to weigh up the loss of revenue. 

Edited by amajaa
Spellcheck changed quiff
  • Like 6

16 minutes ago, amajaa said:

I said the same to my Husband, from the side he looked just like William (when he had hair) I think it was the quiff.

I think King Charles will definitely have to keep The Princess Royal and The Earl of Wessex, they and their spouses have been doing a marvellous job helping to shoulder the burden the last week. They are all very hardworking as well. Plus he hasn’t got Harry now . I am still keeping my fingers crossed he will honour his late Father and Mother’s wishes and make Edward the Duke of Edinburgh. He was just made an Earl on his marriage and not a Duke, as would be normal, as he was expected to take the title his Father held. The Dukes of Kent and Gloucester and Prince Michael of Kent are now elderly and do very few Royal engagements if any, I expect after the funeral we won’t really see them again.

Balmoral and Sandringham are both private residences and not owed by the State. The Royal Family bring in lots of tourists and therefore money to this country and the Royal Residences are where they always head so if they did get rid of any palaces/castles they would have to weigh up the loss of revenue. 

Totally agree.

• Like 1

Little question please, for any of the kind volunteers here, or anyone else who has some knowledge?

If you’d prefer to have both flu and Covid jabs in the one arm, rather than the usual one in each, is that possible? Or wise? Any views?

I’d sooner restrict any minor aching to the one arm if it’s feasible.

53 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Little question please, for any of the kind volunteers here, or anyone else who has some knowledge?

If you’d prefer to have both flu and Covid jabs in the one arm, rather than the usual one in each, is that possible? Or wise? Any views?

We had our jabs on Friday. They didn't do the flu jab as well. Apparently they will be a bit later in the year.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

One of our neighbours had both in the same arm recently.

• Like 1