P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

My heating is timed to go on at 5.30, prior to me getting up to make tea about 6, which is lovely - and at present it goes off of its own accord by 8, and if not, I am switching it off.  

Just bought a couple of jumpers in lambswool, a bit itchy but very warm, and am getting a long cardi in the same.  Hoping to keep the thermostat not too high this year.  My heating is oil, all we have here in the sticks, and new boiler is supposed to be a lot more efficient, and the radiators heat up very quickly after my lovely boilerman flushed them out.

23 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

It's really bright and sunny here today and the sunlight is streaming into our main bedroom and our study... curtains are wide open to encourage the "greenhouse effect." The. rooms soon warm up and become two or three degrees warmer than the rest of the house... and it's free!

That's what we do and open all the doors within the house and when the clouds gather I then go around house closing all the doors to keep the heat in . I can still hear in the back of my mind my Dad saying .." Nah then put wood back in hole " and that was back when it was two and half farthings for a bucket of coal😊

Edited by kalos
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, kalos said:

That's what we do and open all the doors within the house and when the clouds gather I then go around house closing all the doors to keep the heat in . I can still hear in the back of my mind my Dad saying .." Nah then put wood back in hole " and that was back when it was two and half farthings for a bucket of coal😊

That's quite some time ago kalos. Solid fuel for our central heating  is now £210 ton, and Frank is still telling the grandson to ''put wood int'oil''😁

Avril

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Morning everyone. I hope you are all feeling bright-eyed and bushy-tailed this morning😊

I have a yearly delivery pass with Asda, and like kalos, get an email when priority christmas slots are open, usually end of October or early November.

Josy, have a calm day at the food bank, and if you get a stroppy customer politely direct them to the nearest supermarket, where the range of goods on offer and customer service might be more to their liking😇

Have a good day everyone, whatever you have planned.x

Avril

We have same with Tesco usually released either at 6am or midnight during October/early November. We usually get most of shopping done before the Christmas rush, only the more perishable goods we leave until then. We get our chicken/Turkey & piece of beef from local farm shop, as it raised locally. 

• Like 4

We had a record number of clients at the food bank this morning and they were all well behaved.  My friend picked up the form for a single person and immediately groaned  in letters across the top was "VEGAN".  Sorry but we don't  have time to inspect all of the items as we fill the bags so she simply filled according to the list and when she took it out asked the young lady to sort through and let us have back what she couldn't eat,  we had about 70% of the items back.

I am concerned about whether we are going to continue to get enough food donated niw that a lot of people are feeling the pinch due to energy costs and food prices rising.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

That's quite some time ago kalos. Solid fuel for our central heating  is now £210 ton, and Frank is still telling the grandson to ''put wood int'oil''😁

Avril

How long does the ton of fuel last you in winter? £210 doesn’t sound too bad in todays high gas prices environment.

Problems with the oven over the last week, seems the touch control panel is faulty, Bosch engineer is coming out on Monday to look at it, suspect will need a new panel, fortunately covered by warranty.  Bosch did say that if panel has gone it could take anything up to 2 weeks to get a new one from Germany if they don’t have one in stock. So could be without oven for 2 or more weeks. 

So today finally took the plunge and ordered. Ninja Foodi 9 in 1 Multicooker, it air fry’s, roasts, stems etc, was on offer at £30 off on Amazon, plus I used £50 of my Topcashback money in form of an enhanced Amazon voucher to bring price down to £150, sells at £230 on Ninja website, will be here tomorrow. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, LondonLad60 said:

I had my Covid booster Tuesday last week (27th Sept) at a walk-in centre and my seasonal flu four days later at the local medical centre. I mentioned at the medical centre about my booster and I was told it didn't matter - there, they were offering both jabs, one in each arm, so it would suggest that there are no hard and fast rules, and that it is at the discretion of individual clinicians.

I had both on the same day as well, one in each arm. Everyone that I know up here has had the same, saves appointments.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I had both on the same day as well, one in each arm. Everyone that I know up here has had the same, saves appointments.

We are doing the same here.  There seems to be a rumour that it is unsafe because on Tuesday I lost count of the number of people who when I asked if they wanted their flu vaccine while they were with us said that they had been told that it increased a risk of severe reactions or even death.  I just kept saying that I had mine at the same time and had no severe reaction and as they could see I was still alive.

For me the only drawback was that I usually sleep on my aside and whenever a turned on to my side I woke up because my arms were slightly sore.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Same here. Both of us, last Saturday at the surgery. Very efficient process, and no side effects of any consequence.

You must be preparing for winter up there now. Or maybe already finished?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

Problems with the oven over the last week, seems the touch control panel is faulty, Bosch engineer is coming out on Monday to look at it, suspect will need a new panel, fortunately covered by warranty.  Bosch did say that if panel has gone it could take anything up to 2 weeks to get a new one from Germany if they don’t have one in stock. So could be without oven for 2 or more weeks.  

We are going through some issues at the moment. It started with a dripping central heating drain point above the boiler which our heating chappy  fixed while doing the annual service last week, in doing this it got air in the system which kept overheating the boiler and then the condensate drain pipe started dripping under the boiler. He has just popped back to fit a new gasket so hopefully that’s fixed it.

Also one of our car key fobs has started not opening the car, if we use the other fob and then use the faulty one again it works a couple of times. So have to go to the dealer tomorrow in Stoke (30 mile round trip) for them to diagnose the fault. I can’t get a set time so could be hanging around for hours !! I could do without the hassle and for our next car I’ll make sure that I buy a car make which has a dealership in our local town.

Makes me wonder what would happen if we get the worst case scenario this winter with power cuts. Very little mattered during the 1970s but so much now relies on electricity nowadays and apart from having to reset the clocks some devices don’t like loosing power and restarting! e.g. our central heating timer.

12 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

We are going through some issues at the moment. It started with a dripping central heating drain point above the boiler which our heating chappy  fixed while doing the annual service last week, in doing this it got air in the system which kept overheating the boiler and then the condensate drain pipe started dripping under the boiler. He has just popped back to fit a new gasket so hopefully that’s fixed it.

Also one of our car key fobs has started not opening the car, if we use the other fob and then use the faulty one again it works a couple of times. So have to go to the dealer tomorrow in Stoke (30 mile round trip) for them to diagnose the fault. I can’t get a set time so could be hanging around for hours !! I could do without the hassle and for our next car I’ll make sure that I buy a car make which has a dealership in our local town.

Makes me wonder what would happen if we get the worst case scenario this winter with power cuts. Very little mattered during the 1970s but so much now relies on electricity nowadays and apart from having to reset the clocks some devices don’t like loosing power and restarting! e.g. our central heating timer.

If your key fob has stopped working because the battery has run down, be prepared to have it replaced in both key fobs because apparently, they ‘talk to each other’ electronically even if they are not both being used. At least the ones for my Honda do. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pete14 said:

If your key fob has stopped working because the battery has run down, be prepared to have it replaced in both key fobs because apparently, they ‘talk to each other’ electronically even if they are not both being used. At least the ones for my Honda do. 

I agree low battery is normally the most common problem but both were changed by the dealer during the car service 3 weeks ago.

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Same here. Both of us, last Saturday at the surgery. Very efficient process, and no side effects of any consequence.

You must be preparing for winter up there now. Or maybe already finished?

Yes thanks we are almost done. The weather up here has not been so bad the last couple of years but you never know when there will be another beast from the east.

The freezers are stocked up, cans and dry goods topped up.I have made preserves so have boxes full of chutneys and jam.  More importantly my Bil has several brews of Christmas beer underway.

The thermals are out of storage and winter jumpers aired off. Spades, blankets, water and Mars bars in the cars (with instructions that OH does not eat them unless he is stuck in the snow!).

We got a new generator this year. Bought it last month and timed it perfectly as now the prices are way up as a result of talk about power outages.

Family are preparing as well with log supplies ordered for the fire just in case (and it looks pretty too).

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

We are doing the same here.  There seems to be a rumour that it is unsafe because on Tuesday I lost count of the number of people who when I asked if they wanted their flu vaccine while they were with us said that they had been told that it increased a risk of severe reactions or even death.  I just kept saying that I had mine at the same time and had no severe reaction and as they could see I was still alive.

For me the only drawback was that I usually sleep on my aside and whenever a turned on to my side I woke up because my arms were slightly sore.

Same issue, sore arms on both sides. I felt off for a couple of days but fine now.

You wonder how these rumours get started.

57 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

The battery in my key fob stopped working last week, a quick trip to the dealership, battery changed, in and out in about 20 mins

Michelle

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

How long does the ton of fuel last you in winter? £210 doesn’t sound too bad in todays high gas prices environment.

Depending on how cold it gets, about 4 to 6 or 7 weeks. The best thing about solid fuel is that it also heats the walls where the boiler is, and also the  upstairs floors where the hot water pipes run underneath. So even when the fire is out the walls and floors are still warm for hours.

Avril

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

The postman has just delivered good news, I had my annual cancer check 3 weeks ago and the result was still no reoccurrence so I can breathe easily again. :classic_smile:

Wonderful news Josy, I so pleased for you.

Avril

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

The buttons and springs all popped out of my Zafira fob in Italy a few weeks ago,luckily it still worked manually.We had the spare fob there luckily.There is a company called the car key fob man who sells a new kit with an online instruction video.

• Like 1

Our heating comes on at 7am goes off at 9, last year it was 6.30am, this morning when I got up at 7.30 temperature had reached 20 C so it had gone off. The house is quite good at retaining heat in the cooler weather with our external insulation, rarely drops below 15C in the winter. 

We have some lightweight fleeces we can wear in the house, plus fleece blankets it gets really cold. 

We are still using the summer duvet, whether we swap to the winter one depends on the outside temp, we haven’t needed it for the last 2 years and long range forecasts are saying we are in for a mild winter. 

• Like 4