P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

6 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

Sue.  I’m just thinking out loud here - not telling you what to do.

You and John both work, you have younger people to think about, as well as the worry about your parents.  A carefree break away would recharge your batteries.  Looking forward to it with a good degree of certainty would also be a boost.

Can your parents afford a little break themselves, together in respite care in a nice care home, whilst you are away?  It could be arranged well in advance, everyone would have their time off and no-one need worry about anyone else.

It’s so difficult, having dependent parents. x

Thank you, I must admit I have wondered about respite care but don’t know how they would take it. I’m wondering about moving my original cruise and perhaps booking a short one at last minute. 
I look forward to the new cruises coming out and hope something grabs me!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I agree with you Vamps. Without going into personal details, there are many reasons why mothers can't or won't breastfeed and it is up to the mother to decide what they feel is most comfortable and less stressful for her and the baby. That's what's more important.

Avril

Exactly. It’s bad sometimes having to learn as you go along. But for me my first she was stubborn and didn’t want to be born. We had to induce and then stuff went medically wrong, they hadn’t put my epidural in correctly, as I was told it could end in a section and I’d be fine if I had one. Nope. Could feel it slice me, they said they had minutes to get her out so to sleep I went. When I came to she wasn’t with me, she wouldn’t feed at all, screaming, this lasted all day. A breastfeeding nurse came to help and she was squeezing her little feet and shoving my breast at her. Looking back it was horrible and I wouldn’t stand for that now but I was 26, first time mum, my family weren’t any help. I was exhausted and luckily she came out perfect but I then had medical issue. I remember getting to the 24 hour mark where they say you need to give her a bottle as you are starving her so then you are made to feel awful for not feeding her and made to feel like the things you should be able to do as a woman you can’t so you are a failure. I was a mess calling hubby at 3am to cry about it. She never took to breastfeeding at all. She always had a bottle and even then she was difficult. We tried loads of different bottles, different milks. She had reflux from the start and not much helped her. Even expressed and she didn’t keep that down. 

it scared me so much that I had full on panic attack when I found out I was pregnant again (I stupidly thought it would take 5 years like our first did) would have nightmares about being put to sleep again and being that scared. Anyway Georgia was laying sideways all the time so they had to give me a section anyway. We planned this time to have bottles and bought everything. The first time we just assumed I would breastfeed so didn’t buy anything. Hers was lovely calm birth and the second she was out she was rooting. She breastfed exclusively and refused to take a bottle and that was actually more exhausting as no one else could help me. 

Both my children are academically smart, would say my first is smarter based on school. My second has more illnesses now she is older but first had more when she is a baby. 

I will tell mine, same as I did with my sister in law when she felt the same, the baby chooses more than you, you can’t force it on them and just do whatever is best for them. So long as they are getting fed, putting on weight and are healthy then breast and bottle makes no difference and there is no shame in either choice. 

We should all support and not judge regardless of if it’s bottle or breast cos outside looking in then no one knows what’s gone on and the reasons why that choice was made. Having people comment or tutting etc can really have an effect at that time for a woman, more than people realise. 

so I don’t think “breast is best” I think healthy happy fed baby is best. 

• Like 10

6 hours ago, pete14 said:

Not here in Stoke on Trent surely 😉

Actuality wasn't it was in Ashby de la Zouch, which I have always thought to be a quite upmarket area.

We had been our for a meal with my husband's sister and her family to celebrate her birthday and walking back to her house we saw a young couple "enjoying" themselves in a shop door way.

5 hours ago, kalos said:

Well we do like to keep abreast of things 😁

You beat me to it --- I was just about to post that and then looked down and you'd taken the words right out of my head.

I am somewhat pleased though -- to be on your wavelength re humour, I must be doing something right, or I have been led astray !!!!

Unless it is a case of 'great minds think alike .. and fools seldom differ'

😉

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Actuality wasn't it was in Ashby de la Zouch, which I have always thought to be a quite upmarket area.

We had been our for a meal with my husband's sister and her family to celebrate her birthday and walking back to her house we saw a young couple "enjoying" themselves in a shop door way.

Reading some of the posts tonight I wish there was a 'look of horror' face ........ rather than just the like and laugh one!

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

LOL,it hasn't changed much then.Iwas in digs there in 1998 for 7 months building a 100 bedroom hotel.Full of drunken youngsters at night.

3 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

What a relief. I couldn’t bear the thought that such things happened in Stoke. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Email from Boots today on their Christmas Advent Calendars, paged through them to see what treats to get for grandchildren and noticed the one above the Barbie Calendar, ooh vicar! 

0EE3CD6F-8FBA-4D83-BE8E-798340B029C2.jpeg

Talk about Father Christnas coming early !

• Haha 8

Crikey, just caught up thought I’d signed in to the Mother & Baby site by mistake! spot on Vamps if your baby’s & you are happy & healthy  then that’s best. 
Off to the farm next door later for a hair cut (my friend has a little salon in a barn), I’m a bit weird having never liked going to the hairdresser, never sure what to have done & my hair just throws off colour & perms ( yes I had the 80s perm!) so it’s a quick trim & catch up with the gossip, I even wash it & walk up with wet hair so there’s non of that horrid sitting back at the sink. I started going grey at 16! still colour my hair but do it at home because it just doesn’t last, drives me mad, not brave enough to let it go though don’t want to look like my gran did at 50.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Caullkhead said:

Crikey, just caught up thought I’d signed in to the Mother & Baby site by mistake! spot on Vamps if your baby’s & you are happy & healthy  then that’s best. 
Off to the farm next door later for a hair cut (my friend has a little salon in a barn), I’m a bit weird having never liked going to the hairdresser, never sure what to have done & my hair just throws off colour & perms ( yes I had the 80s perm!) so it’s a quick trim & catch up with the gossip, I even wash it & walk up with wet hair so there’s non of that horrid sitting back at the sink. I started going grey at 16! still colour my hair but do it at home because it just doesn’t last, drives me mad, not brave enough to let it go though don’t want to look like my gran did at 50.

If there's a load of sheep queing up,you're in the wrong barn.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

34 minutes ago, Caullkhead said:

I have had a mallen streak in my hair since I was in my 20's and as I was dark it was complete contrast, but as it wasn't on my parting it didn't really show and never bothered me so never started dying it. As I've got older I have grandually gone grey, so now blends in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

Morning.

Good news about boosters for over 50’s, I wonder if they’d let me have one while I’m still coughing?

I’m going to give in and will call my GP this morning, I’ve still got a hacking cough and feel exhausted etc. We’ve got my brothers wedding on the 22nd and I don’t want to have to stand outside the church coughing & miss the service 🥴

For the F1 fans, my son met Jenson Button yesterday at the Excel Centre, had a chat & a photo taken 😊

7E5B1A04-84A3-42C7-9EFD-CF808A08F1F1.jpeg

A relative of mine has met Jenson and Damon - my two heroes - in 'work' circumstances, and says they are both really nice chaps, as I would have expected.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Caullkhead said:

Young people are paying a fortune to have silver, white, or grey hair, it's the 'in colour'. You're in fashion and it doesn't cost you a penny👩‍🦳😉

Avril

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Angel57 said:

I see on the news that anyone between the ages of 50 and 64 will be able to book their autumn booster from tomorrow. 😀

Yes, I saw that, so I’ll book my appointment date tomorrow.

I’ve got my flu jab on Monday, so hopefully, I’ll. be fully jabbed soon 

• Like 3

Had my hair cut, no sheep in sight 🤣. She’s persuaded me to go out for dinner next week to a local pub that’s been recently taken over, it’ll be a little group herself, her mum, dh & another  farming couple who happened to be having their hair cut too, she’s been nagging me for ages to join her, we used to go out a few time a year a little group of women dh has never been with us & I only know the couple from kids pta school days, feeling quite brave 😬

• Like 6

I have spent the morning at the foodbank, it is definitely getting busier.  We had social workers in giving people advice about the announcements of additional help during the winter, it was surprising how many of our clients don't understand what help they are entitled to.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1