P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Morning everyone, hope you are all ok today.

It must be fairly warm out here today as the bin collection has just been and some of them had t-shirts on.

Yorkshirephil, hope you have a lovely relaxing cruise.

I had a fall yesterday at home just a couple of steps after getting up off the sofa and twisted my ankle inward, sort of stood on the outside of my foot. A trip to local medical centre and 

x-ray shows I have fractured my fifth metatarsal bone. Foot strapped up and going to fracture clinic this morning. He said it might need a pot or boot. Just what I didn’t need as it’s my bad side anyway so can literally not walk at the moment. Frustrating!!!!

Anyway enough moaning from me, have a good day everyone 

Michelle

Get well soon.  Rest will help. Put a chair by the window so you have no need to stand when the hunky dustmen come around next week. 🤣

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

I had a fall yesterday at home just a couple of steps after getting up off the sofa and twisted my ankle inward, sort of stood on the outside of my foot.

What are you like ?😮 These sofa's  can be tricky things and should come with more 

safety instructions 😉 Hope you get sorted and make a good recovery .

Take care and be safe (best foot forward) Michelle :classic_love:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Josy many “people like us” have paid very high rates of tax all their lives and get little to nothing back in return. If they get the odd thing like this then they have the choice to keep it or do as you are doing and hand it to charity or indeed younger family members who may be struggling.

Sometimes means testing costs more in administration than it achieves in social justice. It also leaves behind those in the grey area who have just too much to get any help but not quite enough to be comfortable or keep their heating on giving the price hikes.

I’m sure your local charity will appreciate the gesture.

Well put. I agree with every word.

When the welfare state was being developed one of the principles taken into account was that if contributors, including the wealthy, didn’t get at least something back there’d be widespread resistance to the whole concept. So some benefits remain universal and without means testing. The classics I suppose are education, most health services and the state retirement pension.

There’s already talk of means testing the retirement pension, widely but incorrectly believed to be paid out of accumulated contributions, but I suspect the backlash would make the move counterproductive. Everyone likes the occasional payout from the fruit machine of life!

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Morning everyone, hope you are all ok today.

It must be fairly warm out here today as the bin collection has just been and some of them had t-shirts on.

Yorkshirephil, hope you have a lovely relaxing cruise.

I had a fall yesterday at home just a couple of steps after getting up off the sofa and twisted my ankle inward, sort of stood on the outside of my foot. A trip to local medical centre and 

x-ray shows I have fractured my fifth metatarsal bone. Foot strapped up and going to fracture clinic this morning. He said it might need a pot or boot. Just what I didn’t need as it’s my bad side anyway so can literally not walk at the moment. Frustrating!!!!

Anyway enough moaning from me, have a good day everyone 

Michelle

Oh no…. So sorry to hear that Michelle. Something like that is so easily done……..😘

I just wanted to say many thanks for all your kind messages regarding my recent fall.

I am back from the fracture clinic now. They decided against a pot or boot as it would have been too difficult for me with my MS affecting the same side. Instead I am bandaged from my toes to my knees with instructions to rest. Back in three weeks for more X-rays, hopefully it will be healing by then

Michelle

• Like 13

I have received an email from Ovo, my energy provider, informing me my name has been given to them by the DWP as a person qualifying for the Warm Home Discount. I will receive £150 credit on 20th December. I have looked at the criteria for inclusion and I certainly do not qualify, nor does my wife.

Should I tell them ?

I stand to be corrected, but think the winter payments to pensioners are not subject to tax, but the state pension certainly is, so that those who are already paying tax will do so on it - and those on the higher rates obviously lose almost half of it, which does make me feel better about receiving it.  (Though I would struggle without it!)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

I have received an email from Ovo, my energy provider, informing me my name has been given to them by the DWP as a person qualifying for the Warm Home Discount. I will receive £150 credit on 20th December. I have looked at the criteria for inclusion and I certainly do not qualify, nor does my wife.

Should I tell them ?

I did tell them they overpaid my winter fuel allowance last year, but even after sending amendment letters I still ended up with the same amount, so maybe why bother.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

I just wanted to say many thanks for all your kind messages regarding my recent fall.

I am back from the fracture clinic now. They decided against a pot or boot as it would have been too difficult for me with my MS affecting the same side. Instead I am bandaged from my toes to my knees with instructions to rest. Back in three weeks for more X-rays, hopefully it will be healing by then

Michelle

Horrible, Michelle. As if the MS isn’t enough. I hope you manage to follow those instructions and make a quick recovery.

• Like 1

Just now, lincslady said:

Those of  us who do not have mains gas are apparently going to get £100 sometime which  will be taken off the electricity bill to help (not much) with the price of heating oil.  I don't know if this may apply to you, Bobstheboy.

No. This is a means tested allowance which people on some benefits get. I don't qualify.

34 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Everyone likes the occasional payout from the fruit machine of life!

And sometimes the machine is rigged ,spare a thought for all those women who thought 

and planned for retirement at 60 only to find they had another 5-6 years to go .

• Like 12

17 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Should I tell them ?

My Mum had been self-funding living in a care home and receiving Attendance Allowance.  Eventually she started receiving Continuing Healthcare payments from the NHS, which meant she could not claim Attendance Allowance.

I notified the Panel Deputy managing her finances immediately when she was granted Continuing Healthcare.

After Mum passed away six months afterwards, I found out that DWP kept paying the Attendance Allowance.  Still waiting on the Panel Deputy to establish why this happened.  Personally I think that DWP have simply got so much on that they missed stopping her Attendance Allowance.  No doubt they will recover it from her estate. Which will be more administrative cost to the tax payer than if they had stopped the payments when notified.

33 minutes ago, kalos said:

And sometimes the machine is rigged ,spare a thought for all those women who thought 

and planned for retirement at 60 only to find they had another 5-6 years to go .

My wife is having to wait until she is 66, two years time, although she retired from the Civil Service a few years ago. She received that pension when she was 60.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2022 at 9:43 PM, pete14 said:

It seems it is Martinis and Mistletoe which sounds a little ominous. 🫣

It is the last full day of our Martinis and Mistletoe break at Warners Thoresby Hall. Not come across much martini but evidence of mistletoe around. You would need to have a good head for heights to get properly underneath it though and somebody else equally brave to join you.

EE3482FE-F81C-49CA-BFE1-1B4FE91B353D.jpeg

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, kalos said:

And sometimes the machine is rigged, spare a thought for all those women who thought 

and planned for retirement at 60 only to find they had another 5-6 years to go.

Indeed, similarly those who joined their company's final salary pension scheme (35 years ago in my case) only to have it changed to "career average" on a take it or leave it basis.

• Like 2